• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Potential Coaches

Bingo

I like the sound of Mark Neeld. Has tasted success, and is ready to step up.

Clarkson would be golden, as would Malthouse, but let's face it, it ain't gonna happen.

Viney will get the gig if we make the finals.

Edited by Sylvia Saint

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we were to go with a first time coach again I'd be taking Todd Viney. And if Gary could manage it have him a director of coaching.

Massive changes need to be made with the assistants too. I'm happy with Westy being the mid's coach but the forwards and defenders need a shake up!

Out side of that I'd take Clarkson as the experienced option.

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/afl-specials

SportsBet odds on who will be our coach:

Todd Viney 4.00

Rodney Eade 5.00

Gary Lyon 7.00

Dean Laidley 9.00

Michael Malthouse 10.00

Scott Burns 12.00

Brenton Sanderson 13.00

Mark Williams 17.00

Alistair Clarkson 17.00

Brendon McCartney 21.00

Scott West 21.00

Neil Craig 21.00

Paul Roos 21.00

Mark Neeld 21.00

David Neitz 26.00

Dean Wallis 34.00

Ken Hinkley 34.00

Alan Richardson 34.00

Gavin Brown 51.00

Leigh Matthews 51.00

Josh Mahoney 67.00

Brian Royal 67.00

Murray Davis 101.00

Chris Connolly 101.00

Clarko would be first preference, but doubt he'd switch, even with all the problems (mostly Kennett-driven) he seems to have had at Hawthorn, considering he's been so successful with a depleted list.

Otherwise, Eade, Laidley (who's supposed to be a very good match-day coach and who IMHO squeezed a helluva lot out of a mediocre list on a shoestring in his time at North), or Burns (again, supposed to have really good tactical nous).

Or if we're looking for a coach with mongrel, they don't come any more mongrel than Dean Wallis! Might not have anything else, though.

And who is Murray Davis?

I like the sound of Mark Neeld. Has tasted success, and is ready to step up.

Non applicable in my opinion, "tasting success" as a coach is only worth mentioning if they have coached a premiership as a senior coach. Coaching premierships in bush leagues or as an assistant coach accounts for most people in the game looking for a senior coaching gig, even Bailey falls into that definition of "tasting success".

My top preference by a country mile is Malthouse, the best coach in the game. Our list, the timing, the egotistical man-love McGuire/Buckley sidestory, way too good to be true. I know it's highly unlikely but anything can happen, the Thompson/Essendon story last year seemed equally outlandish until it really happened. Will be a good brand of footy as well, instead of the overly defensive crap being served up by the likes of Ross Lyon.

Second would be Clarkson. Premiership coach and a former MFC player, big props to his coaching style too. Unsociable footy would be a very welcome addition at Demonland, losing is one thing but making the other team work for it and really feel it the next day is something else. Losing happens and I can accept that, but to be walked over like we were on Saturday and several other times this year is unacceptable.

Which brings me to number 3, Todd Viney is very appealing and I'm keen to see what he does with the playing group over the next 5 weeks but he is untried as a senior coach at AFL level. That kind of goes against what is probably needed, giving the job to another rookie coach seems way too risky. The way he played and being apart of the Hawks coaching staff when "unsociable footy" was at full strength counts for a lot. When I heard today Viney has taken over as caretaker, I was immediately pumped for the game against the Blues this weekend. With the bruise-free comments and whatnot earlier this year, Viney's first game as senior coach, it's enough to get the mouth watering.

Then probably at equal 3rd (being that Viney is untried and all) I'd go with Mark Williams. Premiership coach that did a great job at Port until their list got old and fell apart without the right cattle coming in to succeed them. I think he was more a victim of poor list management and bad recruiting as opposed to being over the hill as a coach (their list is hands down the worst in the competition IMO). I'd be genuinely excited to see him get the gig at Melbourne because it's a very talented and exciting young list and he could very well be the experienced head to mould the group and take it to the next level. He is the coach that ended Brisbane's dynasty and that really does count for something.

Rodney Eade is the only name being thrown around at the moment that I'm firmly opposed to, if he gets the gig I'll have to think long and hard about renewing my membership in 2012.

What would we rather a top class coach or keep Scully?

What would you choose???

Clarkson/Malthouse or Scully?

Hands down a top class coach no good having a top line player with a crap game plan.

Highly unlikey we would go for a rookie coach. MFC will not want to gamble our list on anything other than an experienced coach.

Clarkson - will be resigned by Hawthorn (why would they look anywhere else??).

Malthouse - extremely unlikey.

Eade - Would have to leave Bulldogs. Why would he? (please don't say our list is better. We have zero proof of this)

Laidley - possibly.. But we need a proven coach. What has he proved?

Mark Williams - I think should be shortest odds, but may have set himself up in GWS and not keen on moving on again so soon.

Neil Craig - maybe, but very similar to Bailey.

Roos - has repeatedly said he is not interested.

Connolly - no thanks.

In summary, we are stuffed.

If its going to be a rookie coach, I'd love to get Gavin Brown.

Highly unlikey we would go for a rookie coach. MFC will not want to gamble our list on anything other than an experienced coach.

Clarkson - will be resigned by Hawthorn (why would they look anywhere else??).

Malthouse - extremely unlikey.

Eade - Would have to leave Bulldogs. Why would he? (please don't say our list is better. We have zero proof of this)

Laidley - possibly.. But we need a proven coach. What has he proved?

Mark Williams - I think should be shortest odds, but may have set himself up in GWS and not keen on moving on again so soon.

Neil Craig - maybe, but very similar to Bailey.

Roos - has repeatedly said he is not interested.

Connolly - no thanks.

In summary, we are stuffed.

If its going to be a rookie coach, I'd love to get Gavin Brown.

Situations are only unlikely if you don't try hard enough...It's best foot forward time.

Eddie's claims that he will sue are laughable. Have Geelong found it possible to sue Essendon after Thompson quit? If the MFC wants to offer a huge wad of cash to Malthouse, Collingwood are helpless to stop him from defecting & Eddie knows it. Eddie McGuire's decision to promote his love child ahead of a proven premiership winning coach is one I'm sure he is regretting & could destabilise their club well into the future.

Whilst the MFC may not have the cash at the moment, I'm sure the club could find the sponsors & financial backers to make the deal happen if they tried. This could be the wakening of the sleeping giant of Australian Rules Football if the club can pull this off over its arch rival(admittedly from eras gone by). The marketing possibilies are endless. Think of the dollars the club could make by promoting the fact that we have the premiership winning coach of the biggest club in the land. It is a way of directly making a stand against the most hated club, which is sure to get not just the supporters on side but the general footy public if we chose to market his defection in that way. The club needs to be bold & want to be leaders. By bringing in Malthouse & trying to provide the off field coaching staff he requires the club is automatically putting itself in a position to succeed & grow. There is no better time for this club to make a stand, I cant think of a bigger statement. It would be derelect of the club to not do their homework on this or at least get the wheels in motion.

Eddie's claims that he will sue are laughable. Have Geelong found it possible to sue Essendon after Thompson quit? If the MFC wants to offer a huge wad of cash to Malthouse, Collingwood are helpless to stop him from defecting & Eddie knows it. Eddie McGuire's decision to promote his love child ahead of a proven premiership winning coach is one I'm sure he is regretting & could destabilise their club well into the future.

Whilst the MFC may not have the cash at the moment, I'm sure the club could find the sponsors & financial backers to make the deal happen if they tried. This could be the wakening of the sleeping giant of Australian Rules Football if the club can pull this off over its arch rival(admittedly from eras gone by). The marketing possibilies are endless. Think of the dollars the club could make by promoting the fact that we have the premiership winning coach of the biggest club in the land. It is a way of directly making a stand against the most hated club, which is sure to get not just the supporters on side but the general footy public if we chose to market his defection in that way. The club needs to be bold & want to be leaders. By bringing in Malthouse & trying to provide the off field coaching staff he requires the club is automatically putting itself in a position to succeed & grow. There is no better time for this club to make a stand, I cant think of a bigger statement. It would be derelect of the club to not do their homework on this or at least get the wheels in motion.

I find it laughable too and to sue sound ridiculous. But I suspect there could be a hint for us to back off in all of this. Kind of like blackmail. And what will the revenge be if we poached Mick? Perhaps losing the QB game is a possibility.

Edited by america de cali

I find it laughable too and to sue sound ridiculous. But I suspect there could be a hint for us to back off in all of this. Kind of like blackmail. And what will the revenge be if we poached Mick? Perhaps losing the QB game is a possibility.

They can try take queens birthday off us, but by us nicking their coach it only stokes the interest in that particular fixture. Win for us & the AFL. Will also generate a genuine rivalry & possible hatred between the two clubs which is ideal IMO for us.

People forget what John Wren did in terms of football in the 1920's and 30's....If Malthouse is not happy with the Collingwood deal he will leave....If he likes it he will stay.

If the filth win this years flag can Eddie really keep Mick Malthouse in the Granny Flat?? Seems weird to me.

Mick may stay where he is, but that doesn't mean we should not have a 110% crack at him....otherwise we may blow the greatest chance we have.

Exactly the same can be said for Clarkson....Hawthorn 10 flags since '61...that's the vibe we need right now.

1. Malthouse: must leave no stone unturned in trying to get this done, would love to know from those with more legal nous than me, whether McGuire's threat holds any water at all. The story of poaching a coach coming of most likely 2 premierships off our oldest rival would give me immense pleasure.

2. Clarkson: get that peanut Pickering on the phone today and try and get to the bottom of Clarkson's situation. Would be a very good fit at the club given his coaching success, his history at the club etc.

3. Rocket: maybe he realises he has got as much as he can out of the Bulldog's list and is a proven fire breather who would give this list a big boot up the arse.

4. Viney: very interested to see how this season pans out. If we win 4 of our last 5 and play finals it would be a big tick in his column, but ultimately I would prefer one of the above 3.

As for the other experienced coaches I am not fussed with any of them. Maybe a Laidley to join the coaching panel might be a good move, but not as the senior coach for me.

I'm a bit more of realist. Don't get me wrong I would love clarko or malthouse but can't see it happening. So out of the rest they need a set of balls and a modern day football brain. I'm not set on choco he has balls but I think his time is done and some goes with laidley even though I admire how much he got out of North Melbourne they never had a potential premiership list but he made many finals and maybe finished top 4 but I stand to be corrected on that. I think the right call was made on Bailey because we get to see how Viney shapes up as coach and if the players don't find any motivation from him then they might as well all head to centrelink because they should all be given the ass. So basically I have written all this crap just to say I don't really know.

Rocket Eade. 80% of the list need a rocket so we need an old school, no beating around the bush style coach i feel. At very least, someone who lets the players know in no uncertain terms exactly what is required of them every time they pull on the red/blue.

Viney could be this man though?

I can't believe this crap- the same Eade whose vastly more experienced and talented side lost by 120 points in perth earlier this season? Short memories...

The bulldogs had the early draft picks, they've had the time to develop, and they've been found wanting under Eade.

I refuse to believe that the club would knife Bailey when in 15 or so seasons Eade hasn't shown much more. Cannot understand why Eade is placed on a pedestal- what has he achieved? If you put anyone in charge of a side for long enough they are gonna be competitive- and that's all Eade's sides have ever been, competitive.

And everybody saying that Eade would breath some fire into the list- the club may as well have kept Bailey on and paid for a motivational speaker to attend training.

Edited by mmc

And everybody saying that Eade would breath some fire into the list- the club may as well have kept Bailey on and paid for a motivational speaker to attend training.

Yep...Getting Eade would represent treading water....what has he achieved?? The Dogs were never a serious threat to any Grand Final since the Bastards got us in '54

People forget what John Wren did in terms of football in the 1920's and 30's....If Malthouse is not happy with the Collingwood deal he will leave....If he likes it he will stay.

If the filth win this years flag can Eddie really keep Mick Malthouse in the Granny Flat?? Seems weird to me.

Mick may stay where he is, but that doesn't mean we should not have a 110% crack at him....otherwise we may blow the greatest chance we have.

Exactly the same can be said for Clarkson....Hawthorn 10 flags since '61...that's the vibe we need right now.

The Board in its (hopefully ) wisdom will in due course decide.

The decision to overlook Sheedy now looks interesting ( and I'm not being smart-arse : I was ambivalent at the time)

Malthouse is an arrogant and powerful man.

Arguably exactly what we need to put some spine and most of all confidence into the players.

If not him then is there really any other of his ilk?

I would love to think so - can someone reassure me as I'm feeling very insecure ATM

1. Clarkson

2. Malthouse

3. Eade/Neeld/McCartney/Hinkley/Sanderson/Cameron

Rocket has coached for many years without winning a flag. I'm sorry but in the end I want ultimate success. We may well have to go down the route of inexperience.

Who was the last caretaker coach to stay with the organisation. Viney hasn't come out and said he doesn't want the job yet, but I get the feeling he would be happy to stay in the development role especially with his son coming to the club in 2013.

I would see how Todd goes this year, & If, he goes really well, and no Big names are in contact with us, Then let Todd keep on for 12 months.

If that goes exceptionally well. Give Todd a 3 Year deal.

If after 2012 Todd doesn't work out, many will be available. Malthouse & others (Roos) maybe when we have a more developed squad. etc...

Nice words, and who knows what G Lyon is really thinking this week.

My only major concern is Garry has been out of the game since 1998...that is a long time.

But i am sure he is talking with our President....Footy Classified tonight.

Did you guys read Mark Robinson's article online today about G.Lyon? I'm not a Robbo fan, but this time I think he's on the money. If you haven't see it, have a read. I think Garry could be the man for the job. Just need to convince him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/garry-its-time-to-put-your-hand-up/story-fn5937w8-1226105733222

Cracking article! If only it would have some effect.