Sherman out for racial abuse

Choko

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racial vilification is simply not on. In this day and age, surely everyone would understand that. Obviously not (heat of the moment or otherwise).

At least he was big enough to own up to it, but he would have been found out anyway (jumped before he was pushed). Should have been suspended for the rest of the season as far as i'm concerned. I guess it shows what type of character he is. Footy is better off without him for the next month.

Guest fitness

I also think it disgraceful that the Herald Sun's Mark Stevens, whose opinion and judgment I normally value quite highly, just announced on Twitter who the vilified Suns player was.

To quote his tweet: "[name removed] believed to be Suns player abused."

Firstly - "believed" - if you're not 100% sure then why print it??

Secondly - even if you are sure, he wanted to remain anonymous for a reason. You haven't helped his situation one iota. No doubt he'd be fairly traumatised by the whole saga, and you naming him will now make things a lot harder for him.

TAGHLAY Mark.

Guest Artie Bucco

It's obviously a terrible terrible thing that he has done, and he should be condemned for it... but we all make mistakes.

No sympathy, but keep it in perspective.

More than anything, I'm annoyed by the timing.

I'd prefer he was playing against us on Friday - I think he is selfish, undisciplined and an undercover spud.

Any bloke playing for the opposition that has been chased down by Paul Johnson, is a positive for us.

I think the hardest thing for Sherman (or any player done for RV) would be having to front up at training the next day at his own club. Every club has players of indigenous and other ethnic backgrounds. Would be highly embarrassing for him I'd imagine.

But I agree with Artie, if someone apologizes it's best to accept it and give them another chance.

Good point, hopefully the embarrassment serves as a lesson to him as well.

I think the hardest thing for Sherman (or any player done for RV) would be having to front up at training the next day at his own club. Every club has players of indigenous and other ethnic backgrounds. Would be highly embarrassing for him I'd imagine.

But I agree with Artie, if someone apologizes and cops their punishment on the chin, they should be given another chance.

Repeat offenders should be kicked out for good.

I also think it disgraceful that the Herald Sun's Mark Stevens, whose opinion and judgment I normally value quite highly, just announced on Twitter who the vilified Suns player was.

To quote his tweet: "[name removed] believed to be Suns player abused."

Firstly - "believed" - if you're not 100% sure then why print it??

Secondly - even if you are sure, he wanted to remain anonymous for a reason. You haven't helped his situation one iota. No doubt he'd be fairly traumatised by the whole saga, and you naming him will now make things a lot harder for him.

TAGHLAY Mark.

Pfft, You'd better not visit the Courier Mails website and subsequent story on the issue, they lay the kids name out there plain as day. Once its out there, its impossible to 'undo'.

Let's just hope it unsettles the Westies just that little bit more.

2007 was our last victory at the Sheik Park, this must end.

Keep up the forward Pressure Demons, and test out Festival Hall's ankle at every opportunity.

The Western Bulldogs have finished their charge, so do not show them any mercy.

Dean Bailey...it is time for a win away from the 'G whilst still in melbourne.

Guest Artie Bucco

I just love the way we abhor racial vilification but accept as "freedom of speech" the abuse we hand out to our own players and coaches.

I just don't get it.

I don't see how anyone could be stupid enough to confuse the two.

At least the "abuse" of our own players and coaches has some sort of basis, whether just or unjust.

If I'm critical of Bartram for his poor decision-making, it's something he should be able to improve with extra effort.

One can't change the colour of one's skin.

I just love the way we abhor racial vilification but accept as "freedom of speech" the abuse we hand out to our own players and coaches.

I just don't get it.

You are kidding...

What a deadset scumbag. Seriously. I personally think the punishment did not fit the crime though. How can 4 weeks in the 2s be sufficient enough punishment in this day and age, especially taking into account recent MRP decisions. Both acts happened in the game, and therefore I believe that recially abusing another player is worthy of a much worse punishment than for accidental concussion. And also, wasn't that dipstick in Tassie banned from the ground for good? He should be off for the rest of the year, and definitely not allowed to play in the 2s. He deserves a second chance, especially given the fact that he admitted his idiocy, but that second chance should absolutely not be until next year.

I just don't get it.

Joker! 4 weeks in the 2s for you as well. Completely different issues.