Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully

Rogue

One of only a few things on any of these threads worth acknowledging. Good post. MFC needs to look out for MFC and everyone committed to playing for it. You entice the commitment of others on terms that will accomodate everyone we want it to; not just one maybe stay maybe go player. Player stays signing a contract for reasonable money, fantastic. He disappears into the ether; MFC will surely live on.

Good post

I have been in the other camp generally aggreing with the clubs' and TS management to put it off until post season

Unfortunately it now has become such a hugh issue that i believe the club must draw aline and challenge TS and his managemnt to negotiate now

It has the benefit of all at the club in particular the players of knowing exactly where the club is going and who will be a part of the future and on waht terms

It is a distraction they dont need

It is interesting that no other club seems to be having this issue with geelong and collingwood successfully entering into negotiations as necessarry to secure their best

I think the club is being held to ransome in this matter and in my humble opinion the club should make the call. Either commit to negotiate or dont play. We must remember this is not footy it is big business and we should act as commercially as we can. There is no room for sentimentality

Given the above I understand supporters waxing and waning on this. I hope with all my heart

that we can do a good deal for Tom and the club

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can he get to say Richmond if they are paying players like Martin, Riewoldt, Delideo and Cotchin? To me, besides the 2 new teams we have the most cash in our salary cap. Bruce was the only player that was paid over 500,000 a season

I thought Davey got a front loaded 4 year contract in excess of $500000

Correct me I am wrong he is the highest paid player at the club

I'm not concerned about the Tom going or staying issue it will be resolved when it is. I have one point though, GWS would be mad to pay a young player like Tom the amount of money that is rumoured. It is poor list management, what the Gold Coast has done is picked a super star in what is more than likely his last contract, front loaded it to make sure when all the young players come through there will be enough money available to keep most of them. Bock is the same, the other players GG17 got either had enough of there club, were paid unders by there club or not wanted by their club.

Say the rumoured players and money is true for GWS, with a player like Tom he is only going to get better over the contract period. In 5 years the contract is up, you have a number of young players that will be putting their hand out for more money and Tom would be wanting a similar deal to what is rumoured as he will be one of the best midfielders in the competition. It will be imposible for GWS to keep the list together by paying young guys 23 and under big contracts to move over the next 2 years. They need to target guys that are 25yo plus coming into their last or second last contract period, this is why I'm more concerend about them attacking Col Sylvia.

Either commit to negotiate or dont play.

Ultimatums...

He is agreeing to negotiations - at the end of the season.

I don't feel the need for my club to be dictated by media distractions on Bailey's future, why is it any different for Tom?

We can wait.

And distractions?

Who cares - we're ninth and we are lucky to be there. It's hardly going to derail our flag hopes...

Good post

I have been in the other camp generally aggreing with the clubs' and TS management to put it off until post season

Unfortunately it now has become such a hugh issue that i believe the club must draw aline and challenge TS and his managemnt to negotiate now

It has the benefit of all at the club in particular the players of knowing exactly where the club is going and who will be a part of the future and on waht terms

It is a distraction they dont need

It is interesting that no other club seems to be having this issue with geelong and collingwood successfully entering into negotiations as necessarry to secure their best

I think the club is being held to ransome in this matter and in my humble opinion the club should make the call. Either commit to negotiate or dont play. We must remember this is not footy it is big business and we should act as commercially as we can. There is no room for sentimentality

Given the above I understand supporters waxing and waning on this. I hope with all my heart

that we can do a good deal for Tom and the club

So much wrong - where to start ?

It has become a huge issue - for who ? the media ? some demonland posters ? the club,the player and his management have said they are comfortable with waiting until season end - a position which has not altered since last August

No other club has this issue - Ablett at Geelong already played out, Pendlebury signing for one year only - well done on your tough stand Pies. Jackson Trengove and others - go back over the seasons - they are numerous examples of not only the MFC but other clubs having contractual arrangements not finalised until draft day or weeks before.

Benefit for the club and player to know his future and his terms - if this does not happen until season end ( as happens with many players) this affects the player and the club how ???

The club is being held to ransom - welcome to negotiating - its called demand and supply - players who are hot can demand big contracts. Out of form/fringe players have to beg for a contract. Certain players are considered overpaid when their payments does not match perceived performance( Cam Bruce ? Fevola ? ) whilst other players are a steal as they are probably overperformed on their contract payments ( I would suggest that over the last contract Mark Jamar may fall into the category)

Commit to negotiate or dont play ? this comment completely contradicts you next statement - it is a business and we should opt for commerciality with no sentimentality. Talk to anyone in business about negotiating for a wanted item and rule one is dont give ultimatums that there is no backing away from. Question - is him signing a contract in October a deal breaker ? I cannot see why it is so why throw up the ultimatum. It is not unreasonable that a player doesnt negotiate until contract end.

The one correct statement is the supporters waxing and waning. Cool headed, calm people and a professional football club is not.

Funny to notice on MFC Auctions website that they are currently selling signed Caricatures.

Obviously people not confident enough to spend their money on Tom:

Liam Jurrah Current Bid: $650

Brad Green Current Bid: $360

Jack Watts Current Big: $501

James Frawley Current Bid: $360

Tom Scully Current Bid $99

Can everybody please take a deep breath & maybe a Bex!!

1 I know Tom well & know what drives him, and it certainly isn't money, mind you he still has his lunch money from year 3!!

2 He will start talking after the end of the season (As advised by his management more than 12 months ago). Has not deviated & will not, which is understandable due to the fact he is only able to earn a certain figure in his first 2 years.

3 It appears the only people of importance in this process are the media & posters on this site. He will sign when he is good and ready!

4 Most of the leaks seem to be coming from GWS, who need the publicity

5 I know he would not like to be the highest paid player at the club until he IS the most valuable.

Move on guys, nothing to see here

Good post.

Can we just leave him alone for a while except when cheering him for bursting through Dustbin someone this weekend.

All indicaions are he just wants to play some footy.

1 I know Tom well & know what drives him, and it certainly isn't money, mind you he still has his lunch money from year 3!!

2 He will start talking after the end of the season (As advised by his management more than 12 months ago). Has not deviated & will not, which is understandable due to the fact he is only able to earn a certain figure in his first 2 years.

3 It appears the only people of importance in this process are the media & posters on this site. He will sign when he is good and ready!

5 I know he would not like to be the highest paid player at the club until he IS the most valuable.

Puts the entire issue into its true perspective - good post. If I could, I would put my hard earned on him staying.

nuff said.

Indeed !

He's playing with the club and supporters. Great if he stays, bad luck if he goes. It's been done before. Nathan Buckley put himself above the club and draft process and then the Lions went on to win 3 flags. He'll be great value but the club will be great with or without him.

PS. As he loves the tigers the rumour I've heard is that the tigers are circling. He should play well this weekend to impress them.

Edited by Harrisonrules

The Tigers rumour is just retarded. How's he going to get there and what's his motivation? Do people actually think these things through before blindly regurgitating this garbage?

Well done on your post btw nutbean. Reckon you tackled just about every misnomer we've seen on this issue so far.

Hope Scully was watching the footy show... Shane Crawford said If Tom stays at Melbourne he win a premiership, captain the club, when a brownlow and go down as one of the greatest players!!

Hope Scully was watching the footy show... Shane Crawford said If Tom stays at Melbourne he win a premiership, captain the club, when a brownlow and go down as one of the greatest players!!

He is right..

Guest hangon007

The Tigers rumour is just retarded. How's he going to get there and what's his motivation? Do people actually think these things through before blindly regurgitating this garbage?

hehehe ....

1/ Are you saying Richmond would not be interested? Why do you think Richmond employed Blair Hartley ... one of the best back room dealers in the AFL.

2/ Same way as other un-contracted players get to other clubs .. thru the trade or draft table.

3/ Garry Lyon let the reason out of the bag on Monday night Footy Classified ... its not all about the money!!!!

Now dont get me wrong. As I've said from the start Fatboy Hutchy only ever had half of the story right. GWS were never going to be the number 1 threat ... it was always going to be a Victorian based side.

Now also dont get me wrong ... the "decision" is fair & square with Tom. I'm still very hopefully he will stay with us.

Go Dees!!!

Edited by hangon007

hehehe ....

1/ Are you saying Richmond would not be interested? Why do you think Richmond employed Blair Hartley ... one of the best back room dealers in the AFL.

2/ Same way as other un-contracted players get to other clubs .. thru the trade or draft table.

3/ Garry Lyon let the reason out of the bag on Monday night Footy Classified ... its not about the money!!!!

Now dont get me wrong. As I've said from the start Fatboy Hutchy only ever had half of the story right. GWS were never going to be the number 1 threat ... it was always going to be a Victorian based side.

Now also dont get me wrong ... the "decision" is fair & square with Tom. I'm still very hopefully he will stay with us.

Go Dees!!!

Ok, I'll get in the sandpit...

1. Who cares about Blair Hartley when Gubby Allan is the Darth Vader of shady, backroom deals.

2. Tom Scully will not get to Richmond through the draft. I mean, wake up. If Tom was there GWS would take him and back themselves to keep him.

3. Garry didn't let any cat (I believe that is the word you were searching for) out of any bag - only cynics have blasted Tom as having money as his motivating factor.

Their is no threat from Melbourne sides - he

It's Melbourne, GWS, or bust.

And that is why he will stay at the Melbourne football club.

Why would anyone leave Serenity?

hangon has been consistent - he's been on about Richmond since last Christmas

I'm reminded of Choko Williams and Nick Stevens.

Edited by old55

Guest hangon007

Ok, I'll get in the sandpit...

1. Who cares about Blair Hartley when Gubby Allan is the Darth Vader of shady, backroom deals.

2. Tom Scully will not get to Richmond through the draft. I mean, wake up. If Tom was there GWS would take him and back themselves to keep him.

3. Garry didn't let any cat (I believe that is the word you were searching for) out of any bag - only cynics have blasted Tom as having money as his motivating factor.

Their is no threat from Melbourne sides - he

It's Melbourne, GWS, or bust.

And that is why he will stay at the Melbourne football club.

Why would anyone leave Serenity?

Dont let your emotions get in the way of clear thinking.

AFL clubs have already set the precedent they will not take players on large money who will not talk to them & dont want to play for them.

I believe Tom 100% when he says he has not talked to GWS or signed anything. AFL code for I dont want to go there!!!!

Salary cap room is very precisions and they, GWS will not waste it on players that does not want to play for them. Think about it would you employ somebody who a/ refuses to talk to you & b/ doesn't want to work for you? As much as they would love to have the player they wont do it. However, lets all hope it doesn't come to that and sanity takes over.

"only cynics have blasted Tom as having money as his motivating factor" - I 100% agree with this.

"It's Melbourne, GWS, or bust" ... Sorry thats wrong. Tom is an un-contracted player at the end of the season. The rules are quite specific ... he has options assuming he wants to exercise those options. I for 1 hopes he does not.

"And that is why he will stay at the Melbourne football club." I hope the sentiment is correct but your reasoning is wrong, your arrogance is your weakness.

However, as I've said all along I hope Tom does stay with us.

Go Dees

Edited by hangon007