Jack Watts

Striker475

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now all we have to do is teach our mids how to hit a leading target. I make it 3 or 4 times he left his man on the lead and had the ball kicked over his head right to the guy he's just lost. They did it repeatedly to Jurrah as well. Watts could have had 6-7 goals today if they'd been able to keep their kicks down.

Yeah. Jack was fantastic today. Got three votes on the radio. Not sure it's his break out game, but he just keeps building nicely. Gets a little bit better every week. Tackles rarely stick to him. The sign of a good player. I'm glad he's been able to shut up the unintelligent MFC supporters and soon others will take notice too.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Not yet. This is just warm up stuff for when he regularly grabs games by the scruff of the neck next year and beyond.

Firstly, the stats:

8 kicks

16 handballs

6 marks

3 tackles

1 free kick for

3 goals

1 behind

And was dominant. Kept pushing hard, using his strength and rising experience.

Was it?

Don't know if you would term it a breakout game as such. He was the best player on the ground and put it together for four quarters. He has been steadily improving each week since being used as the sub against Gold Coast. I thought this was a bad move by Bailey at the time but has been proven correct whether by accident or design.

I would still like to see Watts stay deep forward more often as I think he will be able to regularly kick 4-6 goals a game if our midfield gives good delivery. You can still see instances where he is trying to use his body but still needs another pre-season or two to have the build to out-muscle his opponents. He also still needs to be a bit more hungry but this is improving. He is quick and has good hands in traffic but it would be better if he was on the end of someone else (McKenzie, Moloney, Jones, Bartram) dishing the ball out to him but it is great that he has shown he can win his own ball.

If those who doubted him aren't eating their words yet (looking at you Lethal) then they surely will be in 2-3 years time when he is tearing games apart. Remember this kid is still only a couple of months past 20 years old and still has to grow into his body somewhat by building his core strength and packing on another 10kg's or so. Extra muscle and strength through his hips, chest, shoulders and upper arms will see this kid rip defenders apart.

Edited by Demonic Ascent

Firstly, the stats:

8 kicks

16 handballs

6 marks

3 tackles

1 free kick for

3 goals

1 behind

And was dominant. Kept pushing hard, using his strength and rising experience.

Was it?

Not by a long shot.

The kid played about two and a half quarters of solid footy and got 24 touches and 3 goals.

I'm excited. Absolute silk.

I would like to highlight the assist he gave to Petterd today. The important thing to note is that Watts didn't give the quick dishoff that would have put Petterd under pressure from the defence. Instead, he took the ball and ran a few steps towards the boundary, drawing both men with him, then shot the handpass to Petterd for an easy, no pressure shot on goal. It's these little details that tell us just how well he thinks the game. I loved that little passage.

Drew Morphett: "It's taken him a long time, but Jack Watts is finally staring to deliver."

Drew is absolutely spot on correct if 30 games constitutes "a long time" & "finally". Idiot. Lazy, herd-mentality commentary.

Drew Morphett: "It's taken him a long time, but Jack Watts is finally staring to deliver."

Drew is absolutely spot on correct if 30 games constitutes "a long time" & "finally". Idiot. Lazy, herd-mentality commentary.

I beg you, and anybody else on here, not to quote Drew Morphett! He is the most monumental muppet of a commentator, I just CANNOT understand how he gets a gig. And he has been for 30 or whatever years. He brings no insight, no quality, and is woefully glib..... rubbish of the highest order!!!!!!!!!

I beg you, and anybody else on here, not to quote Drew Morphett! He is the most monumental muppet of a commentator, I just CANNOT understand how he gets a gig. And he has been for 30 or whatever years. He brings no insight, no quality, and is woefully glib..... rubbish of the highest order!!!!!!!!!

I've often wondered how he keeps getting a gig myself .

Turns whatever game he's commentating into a snore fest .

I would like to highlight the assist he gave to Petterd today. The important thing to note is that Watts didn't give the quick dishoff that would have put Petterd under pressure from the defence. Instead, he took the ball and ran a few steps towards the boundary, drawing both men with him, then shot the handpass to Petterd for an easy, no pressure shot on goal. It's these little details that tell us just how well he thinks the game. I loved that little passage.

Good call, I loved that. The timing of the handpass was absolutely sensational - couldn't have done it any better. I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd shot off the handball sooner rather than drawing the two men. Best part was that his teammate honoured his hard work by slotting the goal too.

Good call, I loved that. The timing of the handpass was absolutely sensational - couldn't have done it any better. I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd shot off the handball sooner rather than drawing the two men. Best part was that his teammate honoured his hard work by slotting the goal too.

Brilliant footy, he drew the player, feinted to go himself, drew the player again, then put it into Ricky's hands........delicious! (apologies to Bruce McAvaney)

Fair call, Webber.

What's more, His commentary is woefully dated - in Drew World it's always 1976.

I guess he is still getting a gig because there are so many footy outlets today and so little depth of commentators that the ABC will take anyone who knows how to turn on a microphone.

like Trengove he has absolutely no weaknesses

Except, um, weakness... Be interesting to see what kind of player he ends up like. Loved his cool head in traffic, starting to look VERY confident.

Didn't have him as BOG though. I thought McKenzie, then maybe Scully were ahead.