Eth

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the game in patches as I was working, but FWIW these are my changes:

In: Jamar, Gysberts, Tapscott

Out: Gawn (insanely unlucky), Bennell, Morton

Bartram despite his sometimes deplorable skills is currently our best available small defender. The club rates him, I can't see him being dropped and I reckon he'll do a good job on Nahas. Tappy to come back as the sub, can't wait to see the man mountain back in! Jamarr to start and be eased back into ducking duties. At some time this year I'd like to see Baily have a crack at fitting Stef, Maxy and Russian into the one team, but not this week.

I saw the game in patches as I was working, but FWIW these are my changes:

In: Jamar, Gysberts, Tapscott

Out: Gawn (insanely unlucky), Bennell, Morton

Bartram despite his sometimes deplorable skills is currently our best available small defender. The club rates him, I can't see him being dropped and I reckon he'll do a good job on Nahas. Tappy to come back as the sub, can't wait to see the man mountain back in! Jamarr to start and be eased back into ducking duties. At some time this year I'd like to see Baily have a crack at fitting Stef, Maxy and Russian into the one team, but not this week.

Spot on. I know I am constantly bagging Morton's disposal, but although he played ok on Sunday, his kicks floated over the heads of team-mates or floated out of bounds. Gysberts, Jamar and Tapscott must come in if fit.

Edited by btdemon

I like Rivers as a covering defender, so I would be tempted to bring in Warnock for Garland to cover Vickery, with Frawley going to Reiwoldt.

Jamar in for Gawn(unfortunately).

If Tapscott is ready, then Bartram has to go because he is a liablity with ball in hand, and in todays footy, you can't carry those sort of players.

Please no Warnock.

Ever again.

Surprised Morton's name hasn't cropped up I thought he was absolutely insipid today. He is soft and lazy and I think he needs more time at Casey until he ca earn a spot. Some faults in Morton's game;

1 - Hangs back 50m side-on to the play looking for the cheap uncontested possessions.

2 - Doesn't work back the other way leaving his team-mates to cover his opponent when his opponent gets the footy. This happened several times in the 2nd quarter today. It's not like he was burnt off by his opponent they were both in the vicinity of the contest he just refuses to cover his opponent once he realises he will not get possession.

3 - Refuses to work hard to lead towards the kicker. Morton's version of a lead is to (very) slowly jog away from the kicker with one hand in the air. This makes it difficult for his teammate to spot him up and results in the kick having to go over the opponents head. This results in making his team-mate who has kicked the ball to him look bad for causing the turnover.

4 - Refuses to put his body behind the footy.

5 - Gives up the contest too easily. He was standing 5 metres off his opponent at one point today on the HBF. His opponent dropped the mark however instead of Morton being there to apply pressure his opponent was able to recover the ball and get away an easy possession because Morton had given up the chase once he thought his opponent had taken the mark.

Say what you will about Bartram but he does a job every week and busts his gut for 100% of the game. I would keep Bartram in every day of the week over Morton.

Wrong - one of our best on Sunday.

Ah god some of the drivel getting posted this week! Were we watching the same game!?!

BARTRAM - turned it over like a pancake. OUT

WARNOCK - didn't play and shouldn't because he's a spud. STAYS OUT

MORTON - outclassed his opponent all day, set up play, kicked well, was hard at it, one of our best - STAYS IN

STRAUSS - had a crack, showing something - STAYS IN

JURRAH - another quiet day but always looks on the verge, too talented to play at Casey - STAYS IN

OK thats my rant over.

In summary:

IN Jamar, Tapscott, Gysberts

OUT: Bartram, Gawn, Bennell

For what its worth, of our opponents this week Jake The Pushup King has been suspended for a week by the Chooklotto MRP tonight.

So thats a plus for us as hes been in OK form (though not AA form as the peanup Tony Shaw had him in his AA side a week ago on Fox).

As for our changes, I seriously hope we dont get deluded into thinking we can play three ruckmen, it sounded ominous when Bailey floated it today in the press he usually gives pretty clear hints early in the week as to what selection will hold Thursday night.

In: Jamar.

Out: Gawn (possibly the unluckiest for a long time to get dropped).

Tapscott to get game time into those tree trunks of legs at Casey. Blease to get an emergency nod (as he too was mentioned by the coach).

For what its worth, of our opponents this week Jake The Pushup King has been suspended for a week by the Chooklotto MRP tonight.

So thats a plus for us as hes been in OK form (though not AA form as the peanup Tony Shaw had him in his AA side a week ago on Fox).

As for our changes, I seriously hope we dont get deluded into thinking we can play three ruckmen, it sounded ominous when Bailey floated it today in the press he usually gives pretty clear hints early in the week as to what selection will hold Thursday night.

Tapscott to get game time into those tree trunks of legs at Casey. Blease to get an emergency nod (as he too was mentioned by the coach).

Tend to agree yet think the Gys may also be included for Bennell. Cannot work the other out but think there's a strong chance of Blease as the sub this week.

Cale Morton was not one of our best on Sunday.

Spot on. I know I am constantly bagging Morton's disposal, but although he played ok on Sunday, his kicks floated over the heads of team-mates or floated out of bounds. Gysberts, Jamar and Tapscott must come in if fit.

IMO Motons losing the battle to be kept on. He just doesn't get it, the ball, his own!

I also notice he has already pencilled (sp?) Warnock in if Garland pulls up lame at the end of the week.

I still like the idea of Gawn as sub. 3 bigs from half way through the 3rd Q. Nice.

wtf ?

whilst Morton was handy on occassions, he and Bartram's disposal was flaky and their decision making is highly questionnable under pressure. And if you think he was "hard at it", think again.

The guys I'd want to bring in are Jamar, Gysberts and Tapscott. That said, Tapscott might be best served by having a run at Casey and I'm not sure if Gys wil be right to go.

Blease would be close but I'd be [pleasantly] surprised if he came in while Cook probably needs to wait for a suitable opening, and the guys we're most likely to drop are smalls/mids.

Gawn's unlucky but I think we could find two to drop from the names commonly mentioned in this thread.

I'm not sure if Gys will be right to go.

From what Baily said after the game it was just a precautionary measure, one that certainly worked well for Nicho!

Bartram - back after a lay off, it takes players a game or two to get up to speed again

Morton - anybody who does not appreciate him as a footballer must be a very hard marker, I would keep him in for his ability to find space, his vision - the rest will arrive in due course......he played his role on Sunday, the kick from the centre of of the ground to Martin was sublime.

Bartram - back after a lay off, it takes players a game or two to get up to speed again

Morton - anybody who does not appreciate him as a footballer must be a very hard marker, I would keep him in for his ability to find space, his vision - the rest will arrive in due course......he played his role on Sunday, the kick from the centre of of the ground to Martin was sublime.

Re Morton - on the other hand, his kick out on the full in the back pocket in the second quarter was very ordinary. I think what people are concerned about is that he has been there 4 years already and we are still talking about him arriving in due course. How long do you give someone to prove themselves?

Not in your wildest dreams.

Dunn is useless. And Petterd played higher up the ground than Dunn is capable of.

If Petterd is suspended, we could look to Tapscott as a replacement. Play him through the middle, with Nicholson and Strauss playing the defensive role he was playing before he got injured.

you reckon? I woulda used gysberts to replace petterd.. and ease tapscott through casey...

none the less petterd is not suspended

Everyone keeps crappin on Bartram's disposal (rightly so) but he plays his role within the team as good as anyone. Takes on the best, small forward each week and is rarely beaten.

Heard Paul Roos talking about the success behind drafting recycled players, (Shaw, Mumford, McGlynn, etc). He said they'd recruit players who could play a specific role in the team.

Bartram IMO plays his role, and as I said, is rarely beaten.

Re Morton - on the other hand, his kick out on the full in the back pocket in the second quarter was very ordinary. I think what people are concerned about is that he has been there 4 years already and we are still talking about him arriving in due course. How long do you give someone to prove themselves?

Yes he has been at the Club for four years, but he was thrown in straight away to get the games into him, he still looks like a bunch of pipecleaners bundled together (for younger readers a pipe cleaner was a long thin piece of cloth covered wire used to clean a pipe, a receptacle for very strong tobacco which you set fire to and smoked

He doesn't have to prove himself to the Footy Dept obviously, yes they have smacked him around the head a couple of times and banished him to Cassey, but each time he has come back better, all players make mistakes......I mean god forbid I even saw Chris Judd kick one out on the full once!!!!!

He is a different type of player, you do need them, loathe that I am to do it, if I have to compare him with somebody, probably Shaun Burgoyne, who did not exactly have great wraps om him at various times in his career..I remember once he was labelled lazy...Morton I reackon will hit his peak at about the right time in 12-18months time

Edited by satyricon

Tell you what, I'd park Bennell on Nahas and get him to do what he did to Krakouer now that I think about it...

Nicholson > Bennell at this stage? Harder at it & seems to find it more. Tho' Bennell was good against Essendon too.