A Two-Tiered AFL Competition

Range Rover

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-relegation-plan-20110607-1fr2x.html

I have always thought that this is the way the AFL will eventually go and think Brendan Schwab is on the right track with his model outlined in that article.

With an ever expanding competition, relegation and promotion provides fans with that great intangible that keeps us all coming back year after year .... hope.

We absolutely must create a system where interest remains until the very last round of the year, and where effort is rewarded to sides who are battling to get back up the ladder.

It will also dilute this unhealthy obsession we all have with gaining high draft picks.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-relegation-plan-20110607-1fr2x.html

I have always thought that this is the way the AFL will eventually go and think Brendan Schwab is on the right track with his model outlined in that article.

With an ever expanding competition, relegation and promotion provides fans with that great intangible that keeps us all coming back year after year .... hope.

We absolutely must create a system where interest remains until the very last round of the year, and where effort is rewarded to sides who are battling to get back up the ladder.

It will also dilute this unhealthy obsession we all have with gaining high draft picks.

It’s a good idea if you barrack for Collingwood.

Good luck trying to convince the AFL to give up their rigged... sorry, I mean revenue maximising competition. For instance, the AFL will baulk at any risk Collingwood won't play Essendon & Carlton twice in one year.

Part of me loves the idea of making the draw fairer and punishing teams for not performing, or more importantly, tanking but I think this would just widen the gap between the big and small teams. How many people are going to go and watch their team if they aren't playing for premiership points?

Say, for example, our boys win every single game in a season playing division 2, and the top team in Division 1, wins 5-6 games less. That's it, we still play games in front of 30,000 people in finals series, just to see if we're promoted, even though we are clearly the best team in the competition.

Not matter what the system, we can't make the fixture fairer until the AFL decides that fairness is more important that maximising takings - I can't see that happening. As far as the tanking issue goes, I really don't understand why the Draft Lottery system, like the NBA's would not be more appropriate. It gives the bottom teams a chance of re-building but there are no guarantees. If you look at the NBA, the best young team in the comp, the Chicago Bulls, have built their team around league MVP Derrick Rose, who was the No.1 draft pick 2 seasons ago. Chicago recieved the first pick while only having the 9th greatest chance of getting it. It also adds wonderful drama - the Draft Lottery is a massive TV event in the US.

Shocking idea.

Why is it?

In an 18-team comp, if you are 4 games out of the eight by round 11 you are basically out of contention with half a season to go. You're playing for draft picks, which is ridiculous.

The current system already has this unhealthy feel to it and it will only get worse with another team added to the mix (and possibly Tazzy and an unknown 20th team in years to come).

Soccer has perfected the relegation system. Just have a look at the ferocious battles that occur in the English Premier League right through until the final day of the season as sides desperately try to "stay up" or get promoted. A relegation/promotion scrap between Bolton and West Ham can be just as suspenseful and entertaining as a top of the table clash between Man U and Chelsea.

Locally, football leagues such as the VAFA use this type of system and anyone who follows amateur clubs will attest to how exciting things can be right until the final round of the year.

Frankly I don't see how the AFL can avoid going down that path.

Edited by Range Rover

It's well thought out but it is the bastardisation of US and European sports.

NFL conference style fixture with teams playing across divisions, and relegation and one division higher than the other like in the Football leagues of Europe.

It's a strange 'diagonal league' that makes me cringe when I think of it really.

I hate it.

This is the most ill-considered and hare-brained idea of all time.

Do you think Melbourne would be in the top half or bottom half?

Do you think revenue would flow to the top or bottom half?

We already have a two tiered competition. The clubs that access a clean stadium and those that don't. West Coast and Collingwood spend $300k A WEEK more than Melbourne on their football departments.

Geelong make $600k from 20,000 at Skilled stadium. We lose $25k from 20,000 at teh MCG. Where is the fairmess in that???

We don't want the EPL. As a competition it sucks. With 50m people in the UK there are still enormous disparities between the top 6 teams and the next 6 teams. What would happen here with 20m people (and roughly 50% AFL followers of some description)

Bin this idea immediately. It's insane.

Sure, if you want to destroy the MFC, Kangas and Bulldogs.

It makes 9 of the 18 teams irrelevant to media coverage really. Look at the coverage the Championship gets in the UK media as compared to the Premier League. It's like rugby here as compared to footy. Seriously.

You're risking the future of those teams, because if they get stuck in the lower division for a number of years they end up losing supporters.

Why is the EPL always the example that is come back to? The US sports deal with as much money as the EPL yet do not have a relegation system. It is a far harsher setup in the NFL, where only 12 teams of 32 make the playoffs.

Edited by Striker475

Sure, if you want to destroy the MFC, Kangas and Bulldogs.

It makes 9 of the 18 teams irrelevant to media coverage really. Look at the coverage the Championship gets in the UK media as compared to the Premier League. It's like rugby here as compared to footy. Seriously.

You're risking the future of those teams, because if they get stuck in the lower division for a number of years they end up losing supporters.

I disagree. Where you end up losing supporters is if you languish from 13th - 18th year after year without any "big games" in the second half of the season.

I agree it's a very complex issue but I don't think the current system will work long term. I've got no doubt the AFL are discussing similar plans behind closed doors.

Under the current model, more teams equals less hope. Water down hope and people lose interest.

So the answer to about 9 clubs having little hope of winning the flag is to make sure 9 clubs have no hope of winning the flag?

Huh?

Under the current model, more teams equals less hope. Water down hope and people lose interest.

I won't loose interest or stop hoping.

More people will loose interest if we become something like the EPL.

Soccer is the world game and the EPL has a global following. AFL doesn't.

In 20 years time we will not recognize our game anymore if it keeps changing at this rate..Until one day someone stops and says "Geez" i wish we hadn't done that."

A 2 Tiered system invites Mediocraty...Who do we want the MFC to play??? Collingwood on Queens Birthday or the Box Hill Hawks??

Pi$$ off and leave it alone. B)

Edited by why you little

In 20 years time we will not recognize our game anymore if it keeps changing at this rate..Until one day someone stops and says "Geez" i wish we hadn't done that."

A 2 Tiered system invites Mediocraty...Who do we want the MFC to play??? Collingwood on Queens Birthday or the Box Hill Hawks??

Pi$$ off and leave it alone. B)

You should read the proposal. VFL not-inlcuded.

Nice clip ....

I'd rather win a second-tier flag and have a chance of making it into the top flight .... like this pooch: Promoted!

A second-tier flag?

I just saw my breakfast again...

Guest hangon007

Crazy idea! He has lost his marbles. So short sighted.

Think I would watch the TAC cup where every team has a chance every year to win a premiership.

I really like it and have been thinking the same for quite a while - it eliminates the all the dead-rubbers that we're going to have and really keeps the season alive for all 18 teams all the way through 25 rounds. There's no reason we shouldn't be in the top 9 with the salary cap and draft retained. There'll be more interest in games in teams down the ladder than ever. You'd get 70K to a Richmond-Melbourne round 25 game if relegation-promotion was at stake.

I really like it and have been thinking the same for quite a while - it eliminates the all the dead-rubbers that we're going to have and really keeps the season alive for all 18 teams all the way through 25 rounds. There's no reason we shouldn't be in the top 9 with the salary cap and draft retained. There'll be more interest in games in teams down the ladder than ever. You'd get 70K to a Richmond-Melbourne round 25 game if relegation-promotion was at stake.

Bingo! A fellow clear thinker. And congrats on your 2000th post. I'm one off 1000!

Great way to kill off the smaller clubs.

Teams who struggle for a few years in a 2nd division league will be GAWN! Unable to generate crowds, unable to get a TV audience, unable to get top line sponsors, unable to retain top players and finally unable to pay their bills!

And lets watch the sponsorship plummett for the second tier sides...Once you are down...you will not get up..EPL sides who rise to Premier league are always celler dwellers.