Strauss

Vagg

Think young Strauss deserves his own thread, too.

It was just his third game (after Rounds 1 & 2 last year), and I thought he acquitted himself quite well, and did not look out of place.

His first two games he looked a bit like a rabbit caught in a search light. But, last night he seemed to play with confidence, and did his job pretty well.

So, well done to the young man!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - I agree. He made a few mistakes at times but he set up well, attacked his opponent well and ran hard when Essendon had the ball. I just hope they leave him there for a few weeks and let him learn. His awareness is good but his excellent kicking gets a bit shakey at the moments in the bustle of contested footy. I remember Moloney when he was forst with us - it was either a 60 metre bomb to no-one or a clanger. Strauss will develop. He looks the goods to me. Most importantly, when his disposal improves, he will be a better option coming out of defence than Bartram (who we will probably also need for his closing down and negating role). this will be an interesting space to watch over the remainder of 2011.

He was excellent on the half back flank last week for Casey after half time. He's a very good kick of the football. I knew he could play with a bit of confidence.

The three guys they bought in all had good games last weekend, right in front of the whole coaching staff. Probably was a very good thing they all got to watch the reserves at the same time for a change.

He was excellent on the half back flank last week for Casey after half time. He's a very good kick of the football. I knew he could play with a bit of confidence.

No idea where you pull that statement from. His kicking last night wasn't anything special; in fact, it was on the sub-standard side for mine. Especially for someone who was drafted under the pretense of being a superb kick.

That being said, I liked his game last night. Worked really, really hard, is much more confident than he was last year (which might be due to his increased strength, he's really built up his upper body mass), and looked much more willing to get his hands dirty. Pleased me, even if his kicking wasn't that good.

Prendergast's article on him earlier this season was very enlightening.

I think Prendergast is spot on when he compares to Malceski, Gilbee and Shaw (the best attacking half back runners in the AFL over the past few seasons)- he astutely points out that these type of players often 'break out' when their team in a top 8 team winning games regularly. I think it will be the same for Strauss, if we start winning and controlling games, he will be able to shine more, have less pressure defensively and will be able to focus more on using his kicking as an attacking weapon.

He's had 2 seasons ruined by injuries, so this season he's mostly been developing at VFL. From what I've gathered from VFL reports, he's developed nicely, particuarly his defensive part of his game

His football education will continue for another couple of years, but considering it was his 3rd AFL game, that performance was certainly something build on. Could be a real weapon for us in a few years he shows potential

Guest Artie Bucco

Steady on TU, he is a great kick of the footy on exposed form at Casey.

Give the kid a chance to adjust to the next level.

Sub standard?

He will be an exceptional kick.

I bet you criticise Maric's kicking too...

Steady on TU, he is a great kick of the footy on exposed form at Casey.

Give the kid a chance to adjust to the next level.

Sub standard?

He will be an exceptional kick.

I bet you criticise Maric's kicking too...

At AFL level, neither of them have shown me anything special with their kicking.

Last night some of Strauss' kicking was sub-standard. One of them was a shank. Overall it wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't anything like people are making it out to be. It's not like he kicks it like Hodge, or Thomas.

Of course I criticise Maric's kicking. That's because it's shite. Actually have a look at him play. He's not even 50% as good as people think he is.

Don't take these comments to mean I'm not happy with Strauss (or Maric, for that matter). They've both improved considerably this year. All I'm saying is that neither of them is a 'superb' kick. Or an 'exceptional' kick. Or even a 'good' kick.

The way he played on from kicking in and delivering a penetrating kick to the wing, which then seeing Howe leap over the pack and take a massive grab made me all wet.

what i liked was that he looked bulked up, and found good space. really enjoyed him getting a go, and was rarely beaten in a one on one and looked so much more composed than last season.

i am a fan, hope he can keep it up

At AFL level, neither of them have shown me anything special with their kicking.

Last night some of Strauss' kicking was sub-standard. One of them was a shank. Overall it wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't anything like people are making it out to be. It's not like he kicks it like Hodge, or Thomas.

Of course I criticise Maric's kicking. That's because it's shite. Actually have a look at him play. He's not even 50% as good as people think he is.

Don't take these comments to mean I'm not happy with Strauss (or Maric, for that matter). They've both improved considerably this year. All I'm saying is that neither of them is a 'superb' kick. Or an 'exceptional' kick. Or even a 'good' kick.

You start of claiming it may have even been "sub-standard" then three posts later "some" of his kicks were sub standard, he was given the Kick out duties early on so i think that says how highly rated his kick is, i also noticed that they were kick low long penetrating kicks, give him a game or two to settle,

The Gys was kicking at <50% in his first game this year and has been 75> in the last few weeks, and Strauss definitely wasnt sub 50 last night

Edited by Jordie_tackles

Think young Strauss deserves his own thread, too.

It was just his third game (after Rounds 1 & 2 last year), and I thought he acquitted himself quite well, and did not look out of place.

His first two games he looked a bit like a rabbit caught in a search light. But, last night he seemed to play with confidence, and did his job pretty well.

So, well done to the young man!

I agree, he looked more Composed in this team last night. There was more of an Aire of familiarity with the side and with Strauss. His sidestep skip out of pressure early in the game was a beauty, creating himself space to give a better handball to a better target. Nice work.

Yep - I agree. He made a few mistakes at times but he set up well, attacked his opponent well and ran hard when Essendon had the ball. I just hope they leave him there for a few weeks and let him learn. His awareness is good but his excellent kicking gets a bit shakey at the moments in the bustle of contested footy. I remember Moloney when he was forst with us - it was either a 60 metre bomb to no-one or a clanger. Strauss will develop. He looks the goods to me. Most importantly, when his disposal improves, he will be a better option coming out of defence than Bartram (who we will probably also need for his closing down and negating role). this will be an interesting space to watch over the remainder of 2011.

Yeah, I agree 'Maldonboy38'. I liked the fact that he's decided to committ hinself to the ball and the contest. No holding off & sitting back, if it was his turn, he went.

You start of claiming it may have even been "sub-standard" then three posts later "some" of his kicks were sub standard, he was given the Kick out duties early on so i think that says how highly rated his kick is, i also noticed that they were kick low long penetrating kicks, give him a game or two to settle,

The Gys was kicking at <50% in his first game this year and has been 75> in the last few weeks, and Strauss definitely wasnt sub 50 last night

It was sub-standard. He missed some easy kicks.

People seem to think he was hitting targets with laser precision, which he wasn't.

I confess I don't remember how well Hodge or Thomas kicked it in their 3rd game. I'll wait until he has played 100 like they have.

It was sub-standard. He missed some easy kicks.

People seem to think he was hitting targets with laser precision, which he wasn't.

I thought he was pretty good last night and I've been a critic, he showed he wasn't frightened and had a real dip. If his kicking was a bit off, it's probably because he's still getting used to the increased pace of the game, but on the whole I thought it was ok.

Guest Artie Bucco

Rubbish.

I break disposal by foot into 3 distinct categories to be judged on:

1. Kicking skill - the skill of actually kicking the ball to a certain spot on the ground, including aspects like penetration, distance, height, speed, rotation, snaps, and kicking on the non-preferred side.

2. Decision making - choosing the correct option to kick the ball to, choosing where to place it (kicking it to spot A, rather than spot B ), recognising this in enough time to effectively execute.

3. Kicking under pressure - the ability to ignore/absorb physical and perceived pressure whilst executing the skill.

Strauss is a very good kick, his decision-making and executing under pressure have required work, but are improving drastically.

This is normal for a developing player.

With more time at AFL level he will adjust and find a comfort level where he can properly showcase his kicking skill.

Maric is also a very good kick, and is also working on areas 2 & 3.

Edited by Artie Bucco

Needs to work on his composure but that will come and as it does the clean kicking will improve. What was impressive was that he defended well and took the game on at times.

I'd rather have him kicking out than Frawley, who I think should make himself a target for kick outs at times instead of taking them.

I'm still expecting a bit of up and down with Strauss, but he's shown he's still on the right path.

Also got collected as he kicked out (by Bellchambers?), looked like he was limping at times, so I wouldn't be surprised if it limited the rest of his game.

Strauss' disposal efficiency was 85% whilst Scully's was 62.5%.

If you call Strauss' kicking poor, what are your comments on our great one Titan.

They have chosen a 3rd gamer to do the kick-outs, but from now on, those in the actual know are irrelevant.

Titan > Dean Bailey :blink::wacko:

Rubbish.

I break disposal by foot into 3 distinct categories to be judged on:

1. Kicking skill - the skill of actually kicking the ball to a certain spot on the ground, including aspects like penetration, distance, height, speed, rotation, snaps, and kicking on the non-preferred side.

2. Decision making - choosing the correct option to kick the ball to, choosing where to place it (kicking it to spot A, rather than spot B ), recognising this in enough time to effectively execute.

3. Kicking under pressure - the ability to ignore/absorb physical and perceived pressure whilst executing the skill.

Strauss is a very good kick, his decision-making and executing under pressure have required work, but are improving drastically.

This is normal for a developing player.

With more time at AFL level he will adjust and find a comfort level where he can properly showcase his kicking skill.

Maric is also a very good kick, and is also working on areas 2 & 3.

Hmmn, beautifull post, beautifull post!

Strauss' disposal efficiency was 85% whilst Scully's was 62.5%.

If you call Strauss' kicking poor, what are your comments on our great one Titan.

They have chosen a 3rd gamer to do the kick-outs, but from now on, those in the actual know are irrelevant.

Can't compare the 2 as they play different roles.

As a mid, Scully works in tight spaces and has less time then Strauss.

The same reason why Simon Black is averaging less then 65% efficiency.

Strauss did his job. Wasn't great. Wasn't terrible. However, unlike Maric, he does look like a good kick.

However, unlike Maric, he does look like a good kick.

Geez I wonder why i have to read stuff like this.

go replay Marics last games against North and Saints. how many of our blokes can wheel around and dob them from 55 metres? his kicking is very good. just needs to work on other areas.

Yes Strauss and Maric have been softish, so can't kick ?? yes he kicked some bad ones, but who has 100% efficiency?

People should be barracking hard for this kid Strauss. he has v good pace, very good kicking skills and could be a valuable weapon for us.

That was his third game and he did some good things. if he can maintain his spot going forward we will be better for it. not everyone has skills and toughness like a Tapscott, be he showed good composure on Friday night.

Geez I wonder why i have to read stuff like this.

go replay Marics last games against North and Saints. how many of our blokes can wheel around and dob them from 55 metres? his kicking is very good. just needs to work on other areas.

Yes Strauss and Maric have been softish, so can't kick ?? yes he kicked some bad ones, but who has 100% efficiency?

People should be barracking hard for this kid Strauss. he has v good pace, very good kicking skills and could be a valuable weapon for us.

That was his third game and he did some good things. if he can maintain his spot going forward we will be better for it. not everyone has skills and toughness like a Tapscott, be he showed good composure on Friday night.

Your right Bay, but also the Hawks teams of the 80's were hard to get into. It was common for the Hawk reserves to play 2 or 3 years of hardening Up before they got the callup.

Some of our softer players have had games thrown at them in the past 3 seasons. It's time, for 'Them', to Earn the Right to pull on the Jumper!