ALL I KNOW

Demonland

ALL I KNOW by the Oracle

"I bruise you, you bruise me

We both bruise too easily ..."

[Art Garfunkel - All I Know]

We all bruise easily at certain moments in our lives. The dreadful and insulting controversy of last week about the way that a heavily undermanned Melbourne allegedly played "bruise fee" football started by some of Carlton's lesser lights and fueled by a sensationist media was more about perception than reality and had very little to do with the way Melbourne responded to the week's off field events.

Certainly, Melbourne did respond to its poor showing against Carlton by handing out a psychological bruising to the Bombers but it was more about the way in which the club approached the game, first in the selection and then in how it adopted and carried out its tactics and strategies than anything else. This game was about taking risks more than about the individual's fear of physical bruising.

unled1bd.jpg

Melbourne put the difficulties of the past weeks behind it with some boldness at the selection table. Players were omitted from the previous week because their form did not warrant selection. The start was the non selection of Lynden Dunn on return from suspension a fortnight earlier in the game against North Melbourne when he played poorly. It would have been easy to slip him back into the team but the selectors deemed there was a price to pay if players lack the necessary application.

The selectors also opted to send Matthew Bate, Addam Maric, Ricky Petterd and Matthew Warnock back to Casey as well.

With Aaron Davey out through injury and an ailing and homesick Austin Wonaeamirri back home on compassionate leave in the Tiwi Islands, the football department went for youth to lift the team by the bootstraps - two debutants and three others who first played in Round 1, 2010 came in making it the least experienced of all teams in the competition including the newly formed Gold Coast Suns.

With a team composed of so many players with less than 50 games experience and five with no more than two matches, the scene was set for a big win for an Essendon fighting for top four honours at the MCG.

And when you consider that the club was forced to remove Colin Sylvia from the game with a corked thigh and replace him with second game substitute Dan Nicholson midway through the second quarter, a Demon victory became even more unlikely.

The Demons certainly played a hard brand of football as was attested by them winning the contested possession count by 148 to 133 and by effecting far more tackles (77-51) on the night but it was a case of brain not brawn and skilful efficiency that tipped the scales in their favour.

The Demons were more attacking and it showed from the start when they opened up with the first two goals to Brad Green and and Sylvia. Soon after Jack Watts emphasised his growing stature in the game with a strong mark and a goal at the top of the goal square to give his team three of the first four goals of the match setting off alarm bells in the Essendon camp.

The Bombers responded taking the lead before the first break and extending it in the opening seconds of the next term but the Demons were persistent. They continually used handball to get themselves out of trouble (sometimes with the reverse effect) but the plugged away. A couple of magnificent Patrick Ryder goals was all that stood between Melbourne and the lead at half time.

The third quarter was a classic for the Demons. Slowly but surely the midfield took the ascendency and goals flowed as their use of the ball became more positive and the confidence of the group visibly grew. The dividend was six goals and change to a single point for the quarter. The Bombers had been mentally bruised.

There was always going to be a counterattack aided by some poor kicking for goal by Melbourne but this young side was not going to say die.

Despite the fact that the Bombers had 15 more inside 50s, the Demons emerged victors by 33 points, a testament to the strength of a defence led brilliantly by Jared Rivers, James Frawley and Joel Macdonald, the goalkicking of Brad Green and Liam Jurrah with four and three goals respectively, a winning ruck led by Stef Martin ably backed up by newcomer Max Gawn and a young/old midfield bolstered by the return of brilliant duo Tom Scully (whose 24 possessions were sublime after so many weeks out) and Jack Trengove (28 touches), the continuing rise of Jordan Gysberts (30 disposals and eight marks) and the hard tackling of Jordie McKenzie (28 possessions and countless tackles) in his third game back after missing the early part of the season.

Not to be forgotten was the role of Brent Moloney (28 disposals) who capped the game off with a ripping goal to the thunderous applause of the Demon faithful. Nathan Jones was also tough in the clinches and Neville Jetta and Jamie Bennell contributed to the run of the team. Jeremy Howe was promising on debut with some strong marking adding something around the ground that has been missing in recent weeks. His goal in the third quarter was a gem.

The Demons' week from hell restored some balance to the club's season and, while the team played a hard brand of football it handed out no more bruises to the opposition than were expected.

The matter of the "bruise free" allegations could play itself out later in the season but, for the moment, it has been laid to rest as yet another furphy on which the football media uses to peddle its wares for one given week of the season before it moves on to the next confected headline.

Meanwhile, the Demons are back on track thanks to an injection of youth. The journey continues and, in the short term, there will still be ups and downs.

That's all I know.

Melbourne 3.0.18 5.4.34 11.6.72 15.11.101

Essendon 3.2.20 6.5.41 6.6.42 10.8. 68

Goals

Melbourne

Green 4 Jurrah 3 Jetta Moloney 2 Howe Scully Sylvia Watts

Essendon

Ryder 2 Crameri Hardingham Hille Howlett Melksham Monfries Stanton Zaharakis

Best

Melbourne Gysberts Macdonald McKenzie Moloney Trengove Rivers Green

Essendon

Melksham Heppell Lonergan Howlett Stanton Hibberd

Injuries

Melbourne Sylvia (corked thigh)

Essendon Nil

Changes

Melbourne Nil

Essendon Nil

Reports

Melbourne Nil

Essendon Nil

Umpires Donlon Rosebury Mollison

Crowd 53,077 at the MCG

What a great evening. You could see from the very opening of the match that we were going to play the football we all hope we would. The thing about it is that it reiterates without doubt that commitment and dedication are more important than anything else if you want to compete.

Highlights for me were (to list some but clearly not all):

- Opening minutes when the boys showed what they were about - set the tone for the whole night (and I hope the season)

- Jack Watts - getting better and better. WC can have Nic Nat!

- Trengove - holy godfather that kid can play

- Gysberts - at the time a controversial selection but was incredible tonight

- Scully - so good to have him back. Despite what Mike Sheehan says, I think we can keep him at the club, performances like tonight just show that

- Gawn - looks more mobile than he should be - wish he kicked that goal

- The tackle count - absolutely smashed it. No wonder we won!

- Kicking to advanatage (most of the time). Makes a difference that there were targets up forward and movement, but thought we kicked to better position and to advatage to give those players better opportunity.

- Bailey - I have been unsure about his ability to get the group "up" and have wanted more emotion from him. Loved it that he really celebrated the win and showed what it meant to him to win and play GREAT football. Well done and well deserved. Please set up like that again next week - Green deep forward, no loose man in defense, players with a sense of urgency and commitment. The players really rallied for Dean tonight - it was evident after the game. A great sign. We need more wins to ensure that the players really believe, but tonight was a BIG step in that process.

- Winning for Jim - after all he has been through, whenever he watches that match (live or on tape) he will be chuffed and he deserves that

PLEASE - Let us NEVER use injuries and youth as an excuse to play crap football. All we expect is to play with pride in the jumper and intensity. Just like tonight. There will be games that we play when we play with these qualities and lose. I think we can all cope with that. Its crap like last week we cant handle.

My god a win makes the weekend so much better!!

Go Dees.

You forgot Howe who I think had a decent first game.

Nothing better than walking out of the club in Canberra so proud with my melbourne scarf on. I always walk out with my scarf on but it's so much better when we win!

You forgot Howe who I think had a decent first game.

Nothing better than walking out of the club in Canberra so proud with my melbourne scarf on. I always walk out with my scarf on but it's so much better when we win!

Yep - forgot many other things (just wanted to get something down as I was bloody stoked).

Thought Stef Martin was absolutely terrific. Greeny was back to what he does best and seemed to lead. Moloney and Jones were tough as nails. (Did not like the injury to Colin which lead to an early sub). Rivers and Frawley were great too. So many positives!!!

Watts shows a new trick in every game. Today was his run... used his dash more than i've ever seen him use it in a single game. LOVED IT!

Also enjoyed Lovett-Murray bending over and accepting Watts on his back. I swear all he needed was one of those pads and it would've been a training drill.

Watts just continues to get better and better

Strauss showed he can take the next step although still has alot to do

Stef Martin just sensational

JRiv wow welcome back!

Trengove I just loved when he came in and pushed the bomber players around when they got into Martin. And yes he really can play

Gyberts just prolific

Scully thank god you are back we missed your pace and running around the packs

Jordie the tackle machine returns

Brad Green Captains game finally!

So much to be positive about!

Im off to enjoy a great weekend too!

Watts shows a new trick in every game. Today was his run... used his dash more than i've ever seen him use it in a single game. LOVED IT!

Also enjoyed Lovett-Murray bending over and accepting Watts on his back. I swear all he needed was one of those pads and it would've been a training drill.

Favourite Watts moment: running through the pack, slapping the mid-air ball onto the ground so it bounces up, and he's off! Serious skills... and I'm VERY happy to have the ball in his hands.

Yeah Watts was good 2 night really is getting better and better...I wonder where his niche is forward or wherever?...seems he was everywhere tonight. Jordie tackles and tackles....Scully/Trengove 54 possies i think at one stage late in the last?....Martin has stood up and taken the heat off Jamar....Gysberts wow...Green in the forward line who would have thought....gun new players...best win of the season easy...bring on the pies!!

Tonight proved once and for all that skills and talent trump experience.

Give me Evans, Nicholson, Howe and Gawn over Bate, Newton, Warnock and Petterd every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Tonight also proved that a good midfield can make up for an undermanned defence and an underdeveloped forwardline.

Tonight proved once and for all that skills and talent trump experience.

Give me Evans, Nicholson, Howe and Gawn over Bate, Newton, Warnock and Petterd every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Tonight also proved that a good midfield can make up for an undermanned defence and an underdeveloped forwardline.

+1 re our new guys.

Might have heard the death nell tonight for Newton (defintely), Bate, Dunn and Warnock (maybe). These were among the guys i went along to see developing over the last few years, and whose progress kept me motivated while we were getting flogged on the scoreboard. Maybe my hope in them was misguided, because the game seems to have passed them by in the last 5 years while they were maturing.

I just hope the newer guys are perfectly suited to whatever the game will be like in 5 years from now.

+1 re our new guys.

Might have heard the death nell tonight for Newton (defintely), Bate, Dunn and Warnock (maybe). These were among the guys i went along to see developing over the last few years, and whose progress kept me motivated while we were getting flogged on the scoreboard. Maybe my hope in them was misguided, because the game seems to have passed them by in the last 5 years while they were maturing.

I just hope the newer guys are perfectly suited to whatever the game will be like in 5 years from now.

Very interesting observation.

Had bad flashbacks to that final-quarter comeback when we were 41 points up at the last change and still lost the game.. ominously, that match was the subject of the half-time trivia question on the scoreboard tonight

Your kidding?

Watts just continues to get better and better

Strauss showed he can take the next step although still has alot to do

Stef Martin just sensational

JRiv wow welcome back!

Trengove I just loved when he came in and pushed the bomber players around when they got into Martin. And yes he really can play

Gyberts just prolific

Scully thank god you are back we missed your pace and running around the packs

Jordie the tackle machine returns

Brad Green Captains game finally!

So much to be positive about!

Im off to enjoy a great weekend too!

Guest DeesPower

I'll add that Strauss was a big surprise for me. He's improved out of sight from the last time I saw him in the seniors. Still makes some poor decisions when he's under the pump, but his contest is much better and he took some decent marks.

Agree. I have been unconvinced as well but he showed a lot tonight. Still though don't think he is an elite kick. Misses too many targets, although I though our kicking out was much better tonight and that to some extent can be attributed to Strauss.

Just like to single out someone everyone has overlooked, perhaps because he flashed in and out of the game. Bennell was tougher tonight than usual, and when he got it, things happened. It's true of him most of the time that when he gets it and has a little room, he puts his foot down, and tears away. Had he put through that amazing long run through the guts for a goal, that would have been the end of the game right there.

Not exactly a career-changing game, and there were certainly issues, like his consistency, but I remember being impressed by his smarts and at times his toughness. Things that have been problems in the past. He actually generated some ball tonight.

Just like to single out someone everyone has overlooked, perhaps because he flashed in and out of the game. Bennell was tougher tonight than usual, and when he got it, things happened. It's true of him most of the time that when he gets it and has a little room, he puts his foot down, and tears away. Had he put through that amazing long run through the guts for a goal, that would have been the end of the game right there.

Not exactly a career-changing game, and there were certainly issues, like his consistency, but I remember being impressed by his smarts and at times his toughness. Things that have been problems in the past. He actually generated some ball tonight.

Yeah good point. While we are on things like that, the guy that I really bemoan regularly, cale Morton did some courageous things tonight. In my opinion he has a ling way to go, but thought he was far better tonight. Especially one moment in third when he backed into on coming traffic to effect a spoil. Hope he can keep it up and continue to improve.

Last two weeks he's been really good in my eyes. Playing effectively off a back pocket against a small forward and using his natural guile to clear it from the tight contests around our defensive 50.

I'll add that Strauss was a big surprise for me. He's improved out of sight from the last time I saw him in the seniors. Still makes some poor decisions when he's under the pump, but his contest is much better and he took some decent marks.

His kicking out of the goalsquare is simply a rapier.....once it becomes more consistent, there'll be lace out [censored]-hitting all over the place!

Loving how young we were last night - great to see Bailey going with youth. Hows this for a stat:

Drafted

2010 (3)- Howe, Nicholson, Evans

2009 (5)- Scully, Trengove, Gys, Gawn, Macdonald (pre-season)

2008 (6)- Watts, Strauss, Bennell, Jetta, Jurrah, McKenzie

14 of our 22 were drafted in the last 3 years.

and just for those interested

2007 (2) - Morton, Martin

2006 (1) - Frawley

2005 (1) - Jones

2004 (1) - Maloney (Trade)

2003 (1) - Sylvia

2002 (1) - Rivers

1999 (1) - Green

I agree that it's exciting when the younger players start to show some of the polish that they were recruited for in the first place.

It reminds me of the early part of 1987 when a young Melbourne team was melding together under the coaching of John Northey. They had games when things didn't go their way but they kept on persisting with their game plan and it finally clicked in the last part of the season when we won the last six games to make the finals for the first time since 1964. Then we won the next two finals against North and Sydney by whopping great margins before that dramatic Preliminary Final against Hawthorn when a fresh faced young ruckman wearing the number 37 ...