Inquiry into injuries

Choko

A few years ago one of the clubs, perhaps someone else remembers which one, held an independent inquiry into their injuries to see whether and where there might be things they could do better.

With our injuries over the past few years, especially this year, I really think the club owes it to itself and the members to have an expert examine and provide a report to the club on the injuries we have sustained. I would suggest they should be looking at the cause of each of the injuries, and whether they were avoidable.

It seems to me from speaking to some people in the know that a large number of our injuries may be related to load/yield management, and therefore potentially there are factors that are avoidable that are contributing to some injuries. I don't believe in coincidences, and really, there have been too many stress and hamstring type injuries.

I would also like to know whether the drive to and from Casey, surface at our training venues or any other controllable factors may be contributing.

Just my 2c.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a bit ridiculous. We were doing relatively well up until the Adelaide game.

It's like God said "how dare you play a good brand of football and win a game so convincingly, take this!"

A few years ago one of the clubs, perhaps someone else remembers which one, held an independent inquiry into their injuries to see whether and where there might be things they could do better.

With our injuries over the past few years, especially this year, I really think the club owes it to itself and the members to have an expert examine and provide a report to the club on the injuries we have sustained. I would suggest they should be looking at the cause of each of the injuries, and whether they were avoidable.

It seems to me from speaking to some people in the know that a large number of our injuries may be related to load/yield management, and therefore potentially there are factors that are avoidable that are contributing to some injuries. I don't believe in coincidences, and really, there have been too many stress and hamstring type injuries.

I would also like to know whether the drive to and from Casey, surface at our training venues or any other controllable factors may be contributing.

Just my 2c.

I'll second that. Ridiculous

Just my 2c.

Any one that doesn't believe we have a problem at the club has their head in the sand; we have had an inordinate number of injuries over the last god knows how many years.

I could't believe it when we started the season either last year or the year before with a long list of players on the injured list. There has to be a problem with our fitness or method of training and an inquiry in to why is is happening is a good idea.

Any one that doesn't believe we have a problem at the club has their head in the sand; we have had an inordinate number of injuries over the last god knows how many years.

I could't believe it when we started the season either last year or the year before with a long list of players on the injured list. There has to be a problem with our fitness or method of training and an inquiry in to why is is happening is a good idea.

IT might also have something to do with the quality of our training facilities andour medical staff. I seem to recall that one club sent its medicos to visit AC Milano, I think a similar trip may be in order

Knees, feet and ankles I would think (not being any kind of medical expert), are rarely related to fitness - most are surely caused by a combination of surface and sheer bad luck - it would be interesting to know what percentage of all such injuries in the AFL occur at Etihad.

Hamstrings I agree could be a fitness issue, but only one of our injury list, Tapscott, is a hammy injury... the rest are knee, ankle and foot injuries. If any investigation should be done, it should be into how they are in the odd case, playing on with these injuries which inevitably makes things worse.

As for how these injuries could in any way be related to the drive to Casey, I just don't know what to make of that... too many gear changes and late breaking are putting undue strain on the players' feet, ankles and Knees?

Edited by hardtack

I had a look at our injury list, and there's a common denominator:

Rohan Bail (knee)

Clint Bartram (hip)

Robbie Campbell (knee soreness)

Aaron Davey (knee)

Jack Fitzpatrick (ankle)

Colin Garland (ankle)

Jack Grimes (foot)

Mark Jamar (knee)

Michael Newton (foot)

Jake Spencer (knee)

Luke Tapscott (hamstring)

(Tom Scully (Knee))

Most of them are knee, foot, and ankle injuries (Tappy being the odd one out), apart from Jamar (who i believe was worked into the ground) they seem to me to be impact injuries, something you cannot plan for. If it had been a lot of soft tissue injuries i would've agreed, but not this time. Coincidence/bad luck for me.

Rohan Bail (knee)

Clint Bartram (hip)

Aaron Davey (knee)

Jack Fitzpatrick (ankle)

Colin Garland (ankle)

Jack Grimes (foot)

Mark Jamar (knee)

Michael Newton (foot)

Jake Spencer (knee)

(Tom Scully (Knee))

Most of them are knee, foot, and ankle injuries (Tappy being the odd one out), apart from Jamar (who i believe was worked into the ground) they seem to me to be impact injuries, something you cannot plan for. If it had been a lot of soft tissue injuries i would've agreed, but not this time. Coincidence/bad luck for me.

I'm not so sure. Stress fractures (like navicular) can be load injuries, knee injuries can be load, who knows what hip is....

The only thing I want to question is why Garland was made to come back on the ground and play with an injured ankle against North.

Apart from that, sh*t luck is sh*t luck.

I would have asked for a jab and get out there, especially when you are watching a slow moving car wreck that was the NM game...

I don't believe in coincidences

In that context I recall Dean Bailey at the AGM/Season launch in the MCC Dining Room in February saying words to the effect that we were now in control of our own destiny, including the injury count. No excuses. He even reiterated the point. I was surprised by his comments, as I could see that there were some injuries that could not be helped - eg, Col Sylvia's jaw re-arrangement in pre-season 2010. On the other hand, I took it as a positive in that he seemed to be saying that, apart from that sort of injury, better management of players could reduce our injury list significantly.

It's not ironic in-and-of-itself, but I will pay it anyway because I was on about second gear writing that...

When I say think, I mean in the mere sense of the word (i.e., cognitively) not implying higher order thinking or anything like that.

I would have asked for a jab and get out there, especially when you are watching a slow moving car wreck that was the NM game...

In that situation, what a player wants is irrelevant.

Remember Brock playing on with a broken foot? How did that work out?! :rolleyes:

it would be interesting to know what percentage of all such injuries in the AFL occur at Etihad.

I would love to see these stats. Having walked on the surface late last year I can tell you it felt rock hard underfoot. So much harder than a suburban oval (can't say I've walked on the MCG since I was 6 years old though)

However this was in November at a graduation ceremony so its likely that they let the ground harden up for such events.

Edited by Ascobar

Up until the Adelaide game our injury list was Scully, Mckenzie and Campbell. The smallest injury list that I can remember.

I think we need to get representatives of as many religions as possible to perform blessings/curse removals/exorcisms and whatever else they can think of. Clearly we have been cursed at some time and this is showing now more clearly when we have a list that may be capable of taking us to a flag. I suspect this may date back to the glory days of the 50's. Perhaps a jealous rival club?

Guest 36DD

Rohan Bail (knee)

Clint Bartram (hip)

Aaron Davey (knee)

Jack Fitzpatrick (ankle)

Colin Garland (ankle)

Jack Grimes (foot)

Mark Jamar (knee)

Michael Newton (foot)

Jake Spencer (knee)

(Tom Scully (Knee))

Russian has a PCL which have a high occurrence rate amongst ruckman so I don't believe it was a result of excessive workload. The other injuries would suggest that there is nothing that the fitness and medical staff are doing to contribute to the growing list. If there were 5 or 6 hamstrings then you would think that our players have a weakness in the area brought on buy insufficient training. Just been unfortunate with injuries or we could blame Bodhan...

36DD made the point about Jamar, couple of other things...

- Grimes and Garland had injuries received in-game.

- Bail's was concerning, breaking down.

- Scully's was known about before he was drafted.

- Robbie Campbell is injury-prone

- Davey has probably been playing on it for 2-3 weeks

Funny how up until the Adelaide game there were only 3 on the injury list, then after that we've averaged losing 3 players a game

Adelaide - Jamar (injured), Grimes (injured), Spencer (injured), Fitzpatrick (injured), Trengove (susp)

North - Garland (injured), Bail (injured), Wonaemirri (injured), Dunn (susp)

St Kilda - Tapscott (injured), Davey (injured), Bartram (injured)

Carlton - Newton (injured)

I seem to recall making a thread exactly like this a couple of weeks ago. I was shouted down by some know-alls and the thread was locked by a moderator.

'Just luck' they said, yeah two-thirds of your side on the pine, sure it is

Guest 36DD

36DD made the point about Jamar, couple of other things...

- Grimes and Garland had injuries received in-game.

- Bail's was concerning, breaking down.

- Scully's was known about before he was drafted.

- Robbie Campbell is injury-prone

- Davey has probably been playing on it for 2-3 weeks

I think Bail's occurred in the North match (debacle) landed heavily on his knee and his knee sorta dug into the turf, thereby giving it a bit of a wrench.

Edited by 36DD