• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE PEOPLE SPEAK

Demonland

We've had some relative success with our THE PEOPLE SPEAK previews in the past so I though it might be an idea to go with it again.

Best previews will be used (some editing may be necessary).

So let's hear ... THE PEOPLE SPEAK!

Nothing to Lose

It's hard to remember a genuinely nothing-to-lose situation for the club recently. There have been situations where the club has been judged to be winning by losing. Last season, every win was a treat, a delight.

Now, the situation is different. The pressure is on...or is it?

The Melbourne Football Club faces three sides in the next three weeks all challenging for the top four.

While the media seek to put the pressure on the coach, I would suggest there is anything but. This is the time where the pressure is off. There is nothing for the club to lose.

Every neutral, every head-before-heart tipper will consider Carlton favourites for Friday night.

But, at the hallowed turf of the MCG, the kids will get a chance to shine. The names are not household outside of those uttered by the Melbourne faithful. Names such as Gysberts, Jones, McKenzie, Martin.

These are not the shining lights that other supporters know as the Melbourne guns. They are not Trengove, Scully or Jamar. Yet they are just as important and even moreso heading forward. And they have a chance.

Their task is not an easy one. Names such as Judd, Murphy, Gibbs and Waite sit on the opposing team sheet. Yet it would be foolish to discount their chance. Because ultimately, any given Friday anything can happen.

Teams

Melbourne

To be named

Carlton

To be named

Last Time They Played

Carlton 7.4 9.6 11.7 15.11 (101)

Melbourne 2.2 3.4 8.6 9.6 (60)

GOALS:

Carlton: Houlihan 4, Waite 3, Thornton 2, Betts 2, Simpson, Carrazzo, Robinson, Judd

Melbourne: Green 3, Watts, Sylvia, Bate, Jetta, Jones, Moloney

BEST:

Carlton: Walker, Carrazzo, Scotland, Robinson, Houlihan, Waite, Judd

Melbourne: Gysberts, Moloney, McDonald, Bruce, Green, Grimes, Morton

Official crowd: 49,745 at the MCG

Nothing to Lose

It's hard to remember a genuinely nothing-to-lose situation for the club recently. There have been situations where the club has been judged to be winning by losing. Last season, every win was a treat, a delight.

The Melbourne Football Club faces three sides in the next three weeks all challenging for the top four.

While the media seek to put the pressure on the coach, I would suggest there is anything but. This is the time where the pressure is off. There is nothing for the club to lose.

Every neutral, every head-before-heart tipper will consider Carlton favourites for Friday night.

But, at the hallowed turf of the MCG, the kids will get a chance to shine. The names are not household outside of those uttered by the Melbourne faithful. Names such as Gysberts, Jones, McKenzie, Martin.

These are not the shining lights that other supporters know as the Melbourne guns. They are not Trengove, Scully or Jamar. Yet they are just as important and even moreso heading forward. And they have a chance.

Their task is not an easy one. Names such as Judd, Murphy, Gibbs and Waite sit on the opposing team sheet. Yet it would be foolish to discount their chance. Because ultimately, any given Friday anything can happen.

Teams

Melbourne

To be named

Carlton

To be named

Last Time They Played

GOALS:

Carlton: Houlihan 4, Waite 3, Thornton 2, Betts 2, Simpson, Carrazzo, Robinson, Judd

BEST:

Nothing to Lose?

Can't agree. We will be judged on how we lose

Players must show heart, determination and intensity or the rumbling will continue

Nothing to Lose?

Can't agree. We will be judged on how we lose

Players must show heart, determination and intensity or the rumbling will continue

Fair enough, just my read of it. Although I will say, we can show all the heart in the world and probably still get thumped by Carlton.

Will be interesting though. There's Judd's dodgy ankle, and is Warnock out of hospital yet?

Fair enough, just my read of it. Although I will say, we can show all the heart in the world and probably still get thumped by Carlton.

Will be interesting though. There's Judd's dodgy ankle, and is Warnock out of hospital yet?

Spot on Heart is no substitute for skill

Nothing to Lose

Teams

Melbourne

To be named

Carlton

To be named

Last Time They Played

GOALS:

BEST:

Are there 40 000 carlton supporters going, I thought it was our home game!

Nothing to Lose

Teams

Melbourne

To be named

Carlton

To be named

Last Time They Played

GOALS:

BEST:

Are you kidding? I'll be happy if we lose by only 20 or so as with the St Kilda match; it's more likely to be an absolute massacre - I'm terrified of another national-level friday night embarrassment....

What a week for my platinum passes to come through...

Are you kidding? I'll be happy if we lose by only 20 or so as with the St Kilda match; it's more likely to be an absolute massacre - I'm terrified of another national-level friday night embarrassment....

What a week for my platinum passes to come through...

I have the same fear then the bombers the next week.

Imagine 2 beltings in two weeks we would never get another friday game this decade!

Appreciate people putting together their own previews for this exercise rather than criticising those who have made an attempt to do so.

Cheers,

Andy

Good point I will get off.

The hamstring injury to Bull Tapscott is another blow to a team struggling for consistency in performance, and continuity on the team sheet. Although the injury list is starting to resemble something similar to a whos-who of the Demons playing group, this should allow more of the demons much hyped younger brigade to have a crack at senior level. The debut of young “pickles” Evans last week left me with a strange feeling. On one hand we have uncovered another promising young midfielder with a rookie selection, but on the other hand what type of a blight is it on the more senior players when an elevated rookie shows them up? Dean Bailey is in a difficult situation. The debut of Evans would have left him wondering whether there are others at Casey who may shine if given an opportunity on Friday night. He will however understand that blooding more youngsters and putting in admirable performances for defeats will not satisfy those still calling for his head. With a very difficult draw for the next month, Bailey will be wanting to show the footy viewing public that he can coach by creating an upset or two, and he will be no doubt struggling with the decision on whether injecting more of the enthusiasm of youth into an already young team is the right way to go about trying to achieving consistency from the playing group .

Restless demons supporters have been patient for the last few years whilst the club rebuilt our list, but since the NAB cup its been clear that the rebuild is still a work in progress. There are many fans like myself who would be happy to continue to blood our youngsters so that we have a better idea of what they can or can’t do, but you get the feeling that Bailey may persevere with the older group for a while yet, if only in an attempt to save his own career.

Carlton also rebuilt their list with top draft picks, but topped it off with the addition of a then Brownlow medallist and premiership captain, one C. Judd. Even with this depth of talent the Blues have been regarded as underachievers in recent years. It is only now, 3 years since the drafting of Kreuzer, and 5 years since drafting Murphy that the Blues are proving to be a real contender. Inpatient Demons fans should perhaps consider this when making assessments on when the Melbourne Football Club should reasonably expect to be in a similar position. This being said, not yet being a legitimate contender does not make the Demons exempt showing a bit of heart and coming out to play.

With the prematch entertainment being a fundraising effort for cancer you cannot discount the influence that a pre match address given by Jimmy could have on the players, however i’m expecting an admirable loss, not dissimilar to the performance against last years runners-up last round.

Blues by 23 points

Coach Dean Bailey urged his players last week to be "bolder and braver" against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium. He said the Demons had worked on more flair and intensity with their ball movement at training to try to eradicate the damning inconsistency so far this season.

Well, I don't know if the players were listening to what he had to say or, if so, whether they understood because the team's performance in terms of better ball movement left a hell of a lot to be desired from my point of view.

This week I call on Bailey as a supporter to bolder and braver himself. Bolder with team selection so as to give the message to those players who failed to contribute over the past two weeks that their peformances were not good enough and that if young players show something at Casey then the opportunity is there as it was to Michael Evans last week.

The Demons are on the big stage this week. Friday night when the club gets exposure and hopefully, good crowds to help with the club's coffers. We need to dig deep and get things done this week.

Coach Dean Bailey urged his players last week to be "bolder and braver" against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium. He said the Demons had worked on more flair and intensity with their ball movement at training to try to eradicate the damning inconsistency so far this season.

Well, I don't know if the players were listening to what he had to say or, if so, whether they understood because the team's performance in terms of better ball movement left a hell of a lot to be desired from my point of view.

Couldnt agree more DH. This is why I think we need a new coach cause I dont think the players are listening any more. Need a new direction and someone to inject some passion and guts into the team. Now is the time.

Blues by 31 points. I think the boys will give it everything they have, but with a massive injury list and an in form Carlton team, it is a massive challenge ahead.

The three biggest rounds of the year are here for Melbourne Football Club. The clouds were once clearing on the oldest football club in this land, however unforeseen storms have smashed this club on the bow early this year. The poor year started with the doubt surrounding the commitment of Melbourne's best potential, and hasn't cleared with injuries battering the group from pillar to post. The rain continued to poor when a young star was brought down for three weeks for an act that every other player in the greatest game on earth respected.

However, as the young group turn the corner they face the big stage. The best thing about this situation is they can silent their critics, they can rise above the negativity haunting the club and stamp their authority as the 'next best thing'. Mr Watts is starting to show his potential, the new wizard has plenty of tricks and the battle hardened bodies of Moloney, Jones and Sylvia wont go down with a fight. Some say that this group now does not have the skills, the hardness or the leaders to win these games but as they say..

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

Show the world what your made of Melbourne. Its your turn.

post-1930-0-80026700-1306302873_thumb.jp

Juddy, Mclean and their mates better be ready.

Melbourne by 2 points

HOWE fellow deminions

I'm trying to look for the positives however.....

1. Carlton are on track and are clearly on a mission with a clearly defined gaol (ie., to make the finals and win at least one final this year). We have no team goal in terms of where we'd like to finish that i am aware of, at least none that's been made public anyway. This suggests to me that it's ok (for this year at least) if we finish anywhere other than wooden spooners (again) i guess.

Hence, no real or perceived pressure (internally) to perform consistently week to week other than self motivation. Which is no excuse i realise, and if the players were made of the right stuff this shouldn't matter etc etc...yeh....i hear ya! Keep your knickers/jocks on peeps! :lol:

2. Blues lost by 1 kick to one of THE premium teams last week in the Cats. It was said by a few within that team that Carlton produced the most intense "at the ball" contest they had been up against so far this year. This will be hard to counter IF Carlton brings it. I can't see them not bringing it.

3. We've been rocked by ommissions and injuries. And no i'm not counting Davey here as an additional injury. Should've been dropped regardless, but we'll never know now whether Bailey & FD would've had enough gonads to do so unfortunately. As much as i hope the young boys can pull something out of the fire, i think having 12-13 effective rookies in the team (maybe more after the teams are announced) and approx only 4 experienced players (100+ games), will result in a severe under weighting of experience when the going gets tough and strong leadership/bodies/contests etc are required.

4. Our form is patchy and inconsistent (at best) both from week to week, and from one quarter to the next.

5. If we haven't managed to (rusty!) nail the forward press by now, or counter the opposition's forward press (on a consistent basis) i fail to see how 1 week's extra training will make enough of a difference against the Blues. Might be able to improve on it somewhat in such a short time against lesser lights such as GWS or Port....maybe.

6. Bailey has still only beaten 2 Vic clubs on 3 occasions since his appointment and that was during a period when both of those clubs were at a very low ebb. Carlton is not on a low ebb.

7. At this point we struggle up forward and deeeesperately lack a power FF and/or CHF. In addition we have no "in-form" goal kicker/s that i can see kicking a match winning score to beat the blues, either individually or collectively.

Good luck to all the boys and especially Nicholson on his debut

We sure as hell are gonna need every ounce we can get.

Blues by 8 to 10 goals

HANGIN OUT FOR THE ARRIVAL OF THE HURRICANE!! (HOWE)

B)

Mighty Demons Forever!

Edited by Rusty Nails

HOWE fellow deminions

I'm trying to look for the positives however.....

1. Carlton are on track and are clearly on a mission with a clearly defined gaol (ie., to make the finals and win at least one final this year). We have no team goal in terms of where we'd like to finish that i am aware of, at least none that's been made public anyway. This suggests to me that it's ok (for this year at least) if we finish anywhere other than wooden spooners (again) i guess.

Hence, no real or perceived pressure (internally) to perform consistently week to week other than self motivation. Which is no excuse i realise, and if the players were made of the right stuff this shouldn't matter etc etc...yeh....i hear ya! Keep your knickers/jocks on peeps! :lol:

2. Blues lost by 1 kick to one of THE premium teams last week in the Cats. It was said by a few within that team that Carlton produced the most intense "at the ball" contest they had been up against so far this year. This will be hard to counter IF Carlton brings it. I can't see them not bringing it.

3. We've been rocked by ommissions and injuries. And no i'm not counting Davey here as an additional injury. Should've been dropped regardless, but we'll never know now whether Bailey & FD would've had enough gonads to do so unfortunately. As much as i hope the young boys can pull something out of the fire, i think having 12-13 effective rookies in the team (maybe more after the teams are announced) and approx only 4 experienced players (100+ games), will result in a severe under weighting of experience when the going gets tough and strong leadership/bodies/contests etc are required.

4. Our form is patchy and inconsistent (at best) both from week to week, and from one quarter to the next.

5. If we haven't managed to (rusty!) nail the forward press by now, or counter the opposition's forward press (on a consistent basis) i fail to see how 1 week's extra training will make enough of a difference against the Blues. Might be able to improve on it somewhat in such a short time against lesser lights such as GWS or Port....maybe.

6. Bailey has still only beaten 2 Vic clubs on 3 occasions since his appointment and that was during a period when both of those clubs were at a very low ebb. Carlton is not on a low ebb.

7. At this point we struggle up forward and deeeesperately lack a power FF and/or CHF. In addition we have no "in-form" goal kicker/s that i can see kicking a match winning score to beat the blues, either individually or collectively.

Good luck to all the boys and especially Nicholson on his debut

We sure as hell are gonna need every ounce we can get.

Blues by 8 to 10 goals

HANGIN OUT FOR THE ARRIVAL OF THE HURRICANE!! (HOWE)

B)

Mighty Demons Forever!

Thanks RN you have covered it for very well.

Could not disgree with one thing you have written

We have no team goal in terms of where we'd like to finish that i am aware of, at least none that's been made public anyway. This suggests to me that it's ok (for this year at least) if we finish anywhere other than wooden spooners (again) i guess.

Hence, no real or perceived pressure (internally) to perform consistently week to week other than self motivation.

Team goals consists of more than places to finish on the ladder. And given the statements made by the Club over the past few months and the actions of Stynes and co., your assumption that that its alright to finish as low as 16th and there is no real or perceived pressure to perform each week is pure fantasy at best.

And Carlton is at least 2 to 3 years ahead of MFC on the cycle, they have spent big on Judd, Warnock and mysteriously McLean in the past few years to drive Gibbs, Murphy and co. They have performed poorly in finals football in the past 2 years and have lost both finals first up. Its no illusion that one of there goals is to win a final. Its not rocket science. MFC had the same challenge in 2006 after 2004-2005.

Thanks RN you have covered it for very well.

Could not disgree with one thing you have written

Cheers O.D.

Hopefully a little more upbeat in coming weeks with some regulars due back.

Fingers crossed

Team goals consists of more than places to finish on the ladder.

Thanks for the inside tip RR. Wouldn't have known this otherwise :rolleyes:

And given the statements made by the Club over the past few months and the actions of Stynes and co., your assumption that that its alright to finish as low as 16th and there is no real or perceived pressure to perform each week is pure fantasy at best.

And Carlton is at least 2 to 3 years ahead of MFC on the cycle, they have spent big on Judd, Warnock and mysteriously McLean in the past few years to drive Gibbs, Murphy and co. They have performed poorly in finals football in the past 2 years and have lost both finals first up. Its no illusion that one of there goals is to win a final. Its not rocket science. MFC had the same challenge in 2006 after 2004-2005.

I'm just saying there's nothing public from the club goal wise re what their expectations are for the FD/Bailey in terms of goals they're expecting to achieve this year. Yes i'm sure there's more to it than ladder position. And sure, none of this aspect as to where the Blues are at publicly and goal wise is rocket science. Never claimed it was. Nor an illusion lol. Heyy Rocky, watch me pull this rabbit outta the hat! ~ Visions of Jeannie popping out of the bottle.....Swiiiiisshhh! Ahhh.....dreamy. Oops, i digress a little. Your fault RR.

And yes i'm sure the club has set the FD/Bailey certain goals for this year that they would probably prefer not to disclose publicly. Just that the Blues have been very definite on this in a public sense and it appears (at this point) to be on track.

Should you have something from a past news conference or an official statement from the Club or Stynes that you'd like to share with me i'd be more than pleased for you to post it (or the link here) and educate me. I don't propose to know the inner workings of the club and some of what i say is a little off the cuff and flippant at times. I guess what i'm alluding to is Carlton appear to be a little more "on track" and "driven" at this point of time in comparison.

Regardless i don't think it's the major "Key" that will impact on how the teams might perform tonight. Just saw it as one part of many.

I'm certainly not saying (nor did i say) where i thought we were at as a club overall in comparison "development" wise in both these club's cycles. So i'm not sure where you're coming from with that point. A good point nonetheless.

Over to you RR....

B)