Positives

sue

Todays effort was good todays strategy was embarrassing. We had a backline filled with honest triers who cannot dispose of the ball yet they had obviously been told to try and transition at every opportunity.

We played one man down for 3 qtrs meaning McKenzie and Evans would have played alot more minutes than expected.

Despite all the ugly stuff and stoopid turnovers it was a 100% improvement over last weeks game (last 3Q's that is)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a few of our injured players in the side we would have steamrolled them. They were pretty poor, which in a way makes the loss harder to deal with, but in the back of my mind I know if we'd had any of Jamar, Trengove, Grimes, Bail, Scully or Garland back we would have done better.

Green was a positive today. He gave a much better effort and lifted his game above the level he's been playing at so far in 2011. Didn't like the fact that he spent most of the second half up the ground. I know he was following Dal Santo but he was doing a good job as a forward. I felt we could have afforded to find someone else to go with Dal Santo and left one of our decent forwards in the forward line.

Call me a masochist but I find Newton entertaining to watch. I mean, that shot he missed from 10 metres out was something to behold.

It put a smile on my face. Made me take it all a bit less seriously.

Thanks Juice.

They should crank up the Benny Hill music whenever he gets the footy. That was a stupid, stupid decision by Juice. I kinda agree with you though on the entertainment factor!! It has been said many many times before, but he just may have played his last game of footy with the MFC, surely we should blood Howe or Cook now and Bate may likely go back with Juice.

Back to the positives, Martin (ever improving), Evans (ripper debut) Watts (best game to date) n Gys.

Watts was great. He uses the ball exceptionally well and creates a contest. I would start him and half forward and let him drift back and play through the centre. He's going to be a gun. He's huge and well and is going to knock somebody out Neitz style

Watts keeps improving week by week and he never gives up... second, third and fourth efforts get my vote every time.

We tried. We might have played dumb footy on many occasions but we didn't die wondering. I can accept up and down results as long as we give our all.

I agree, much better than last week, with a few more ins we would hev won this. I think today was somethingto build on...I'm sick of all the negative stuff here, we can produce like we did against the Stoners, the second half of the nseason will be a better indication. Give Bailey a break, we did okay today with the cattle we had

I thought today's effort was pretty good considering:

1. we were 1 man down most of the game. And by our current standards, a relatively experienced man.

2. many of the players would be spare wheels if we didn't have so many injuries

3. Evans

4. Green starting to pick up

To hang on against an embarrassed team which would have won the flag last year bar an odd bounce was a pretty good effort given the circumstances/

And some pretty dubious umpiring,, eg at the start of the game, the lack of a free on the goal line when Gwilt should have been got for holding the ball when his attempt to push over the line was resisted. The TV commentators said it was too much to expect an umpire to give a free kick right there so early in the game!~ Are these guys real?

Yes I know Davey was pretty useless, and some others not much better. If Davey can't beat a tag why not get him to sit in the goal square. That takes his opponent out of the game and if Davey does get a kick, it might be a goal which is better than 6 kicks off the wing.

The coach has no idea thqts why

Todays effort was good todays strategy was embarrassing. We had a backline filled with honest triers who cannot dispose of the ball yet they had obviously been told to try and transition at every opportunity.

We played one man down for 3 qtrs meaning McKenzie and Evans would have played alot more minutes than expected.

THIS GAME WAS WINNABLE WE CHOSE NOT TO WIN BECAUSE WE ARE NOT THINKING LIKE WINNERS SACK BAILEY!!!

Positives for me:

Martin - the lad is improving every game and thriving on the responsibility. He's no Jamar, but he's fighting hard.

Evans - Really good debut. Butchered the odd ball, but he never stopped running and presenting. Experience will cure the little errors.

Maric - I seriously thought he'd never take the step up to AFL level, but we may well have our own version of the tip rat here.

Watts - His assurance with the ball through the midfield was great. He's much more comfortable running through the middle than in the goalsquare.

Clearance work - We have a the beginnings of a midfield engine on the field now. Moloney, McKenzie and Gysberts are all animals in close. Add Scully and we'll be looking pretty good at stoppages.

Edit - some typos in there

Yep

Feels quite good until you look at who we played form wise. And one can only go on current form (and enough games now to have a fair idea of where that form truly lies).

Below us on the ladder with only 1 win and a draw and that win against a lowly (bottom of the ladder) Brisbane.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a little here. On the surface some of the performances/efforts today may have looked promising.

Personally I'd be waiting till after round 12. Then let's see how we think the senior list is going development/improvement wise....as well as the man appointed to coach them.

Yes, there's now an excuse with the senior list half shot to pieces. So some will say we should wait the whole year out before judging. I would say the best time to judge the metal and true grit of a team and its leaders, is when the chips are down and the going gets really tough...against some of the better teams (form wise) in the competition.

We tried. We might have played dumb footy on many occasions but we didn't die wondering. I can accept up and down results as long as we give our all.

My thoughts exactly.

how do u post a positive thread after another mediocre performance

mediocre club n performance

over it

its not about individuals, its a team sport. As a team we r soft and no good n no game plan

Some lazy fans, just think "we lost, therefore we were mediocre."

The result was mediocre but the performance was a marked improvement, especially when the kids had little help from Green, Davey, et al.

And spelling and grammar will become important when you grow up so you may as well practice it here...

Big Jack Watts efforts as someone mentioned. 2,3,4 efforts in one passage of play was great. He is really becoming a good player. He is so quick and has great hands. I for one doubted him but looks like he can be a player. Would also like to give Col Sylvia a mention. Thought he has consitantly played very well all year. Will be between him Beamer and Jonesy for the B&F. Funnily enough most demonlanders like to have a crack at these guys.

REAL POSITIVES:

Martin genuinely looks like an AFL ruckman. Not a good one yet, but at least he belongs at this level.

Gysberts will be very good.

Watts will be very good.

Evans could be very good. I'm not making the call after one game, but getting a lot of the pill is a good first step.

AT A STRETCH:

McKenzie got through unscathed.

Jetta and Maric both gave hints that they might be able to bring their VFL form to the big stage.

Green looked a little more like his old self.

Milne didn't get a goal after quarter time --- thank Christ!

Have a listen to you blokes giving Evans a rap just because it was his first game. He found the ball and found space which was good, but his disposals and decision making was terrible. I am not bashing a first gamer but it was a 6/10 game at best.

Have a listen to you blokes giving Evans a rap just because it was his first game. He found the ball and found space which was good, but his disposals and decision making was terrible. I am not bashing a first gamer but it was a 6/10 game at best.

You've got to be kidding if you think Evans wasn't a positive today. He made some clangers, especially by foot, but surely one has to cut a kid in game #1 some level of slack.

Call me a masochist but I find Newton entertaining to watch. I mean, that shot he missed from 10 metres out was something to behold.

It put a smile on my face. Made me take it all a bit less seriously.

Thanks Juice.

10 metres out....you're being generous! But he is hilariously woeful ;)

Newton amuses me too, and I am hoping the fact he is tall and kicked a couple of goals does not deter the selectors from dropping him!

He needs to go and give Howe a game and maybe Gawn too.

It must be said, as bad as Newton may be, he is not Kozi!!!!! If he is not one of the worst players of all time to consistenly get a game I am, well I cant think of something to compare it too.

Newton >>>>> Kozi ( which says a lot)

Big Jack Watts efforts as someone mentioned. 2,3,4 efforts in one passage of play was great. He is really becoming a good player. He is so quick and has great hands. I for one doubted him but looks like he can be a player. Would also like to give Col Sylvia a mention. Thought he has consitantly played very well all year. Will be between him Beamer and Jonesy for the B&F. Funnily enough most demonlanders like to have a crack at these guys.

Ain't that the truth.....they are our nuggets, basically week in, week out.....they'll just never get the credit.

Newton amuses me too, and I am hoping the fact he is tall and kicked a couple of goals does not deter the selectors from dropping him!

He needs to go and give Howe a game and maybe Gawn too.

It must be said, as bad as Newton may be, he is not Kozi!!!!! If he is not one of the worst players of all time to consistenly get a game I am, well I cant think of something to compare it too.

Newton >>>>> Kozi ( which says a lot)

I think Newton actually IS Kozi! It's just some weird parallel universe/time dimension relativity thing! Have you ever seen them in a room together? No......

We have really been hurt bad by injuries now but at least they gave it a crack. I am pretty proud of the effort considering. Disappointing that Davey is really struggling but the young players such as Watts, Evans, Gysberts etc are coming along nicely and it will be these group of players that take the team to a 13th premiership, should it ever happen.

I can still understand the hurt and frustration of some users of this site, as Melbourne are having a bloody tough season (injuries, some real lapses in form) while other teams similar in development continue to go past us (Richmond,, West Coast). Essendon.

I was thinking about the old training drill we used to do as kids, where the coach would kick the ball out and you had to go 1 on 1 and get the ball and bring it back.

I then pictured Newton and Kozi doing it an d I laughed to myself. It would be pure comedy. They would probably fall over themselves, bump each other over by accident, knock each other out or just run around like headless chicken only to accidentaly find the ball in one of their hands!

Fool. Evans was good yesterday. Displayed the effort and intensity that we have been crying out for the last fortnight.

Meanwhile your man, Morton, can't get a game despite us being laden with injuries and struggling for form.

Evans > Morton.

Guest Artie Bucco

Some lazy fans, just think "we lost, therefore we were mediocre."

Some lazy fans are incapable of intelligent thought and analysis of the game, and instead prefer to moan until we become good again.

Then they feverishly pat themselves on the back for not accepting mediocrity.

Edited by Artie Bucco

Guest Artie Bucco

Fool. Evans was good yesterday. Displayed the effort and intensity that we have been crying out for the last fortnight.

Meanwhile your man, Morton, can't get a game despite us being laden with injuries and struggling for form.

Evans > Morton.

His effort and intensity were good, but I thought his decision-making left something to be desired.

This will come with time at AFL level though.

He did show again that he belong on an AFL list.

Guest Artie Bucco

Those supporters unfortunately will likely be blissfully ignorant for the rest of their days.

As for the rest of your post, I agree.

Quite a few positives to take out of the game.

I also think Bailey coached well.

I'll worry when we have a fully fit and experienced list and we don't collectively show the right attitude (other things are often mistaken for this).