Stefan Martin Will He Play This Week?

Guest hangon007

One can only hope

Jackson, If he doesn't play, i'd suggest that the pic you have on your profile thingy will be what he sees from Bailey as he's getting his marching orders!

Like i said in an earlier post, unless he's got a damaged spleen/kidney (or worse), he'll play

B)

Guest Artie Bucco

Martin is said to have damaged ribs.

We have both Newton and Dunn who have performed stints as backup ruckmen.

Gawn probably isn't ready but he is fit and has performed well at times for Casey.

I'd prefer we exhaust those options before we start playing injured players.

Martin is said to have damaged ribs.

We have both Newton and Dunn who have performed stints as backup ruckmen.

Gawn probably isn't ready but he is fit and has performed well at times for Casey.

I'd prefer we exhaust those options before we start playing injured players.

We can't go in with Newton and/or Dunn as the only rucks, surely. If Martin's out then it's got to be Gawn, no matter how raw.

Jackson, If he doesn't play, i'd suggest that the pic you have on your profile thingy will be what he sees from Bailey as he's getting his marching orders!

Like i said in an earlier post, unless he's got a damaged spleen/kidney (or worse), he'll play

B)

I'm guessing you never played in the ruck. Near impossible with knackered ribs.

Maximum Gawn has to be given a chance.

Guest Artie Bucco

We can't go in with Newton and/or Dunn as the only rucks, surely. If Martin's out then it's got to be Gawn, no matter how raw.

I think so.

A stint in the 1s at this stage would presumably give him a taste and help his development.

At the same time, if he is just going to get massacred, I have no qualms about throwing Dunn & Newton to the wolves.

I'm not concerned about a couple of midseason 2011 games - I'm steadily focused on a 2013+ flag.

I think so.

A stint in the 1s at this stage would presumably give him a taste and help his development.

At the same time, if he is just going to get massacred, I have no qualms about throwing Dunn & Newton to the wolves.

I'm not concerned about a couple of midseason 2011 games - I'm steadily focused on a 2013+ flag.

Yeah, I've given up on a flag for this year. I must be a glass half-empty guy B)

Guest Artie Bucco

Ah, you must be one of those that is willing to accept mediocrity...

(I already feel more stupid having just written that)

Ah, you must be one of those that is willing to accept mediocrity...

(I already feel more stupid having just written that)

No he is just like me.

We have had a long time to get used to it.

Yeah, I've given up on a flag for this year. I must be a glass half-empty guy B)

I seem to have been this route before perhaps the big guy ( don't think he exists ) does not like us.

Might be our Association with BB!

You guessed wrong. 6' 1" That's where i played up till bout year 11 til i became too short, or was it that others just got way taller lol. And before you go crazy on me, no i'm not sayin school age footy is anywhere near senior or AFL level. Not by a country mile.

Nor am i sayin he can with broken ribs of course. If so he wont play anywhere for some time. General soreness or mild bruising shouldn't be an issue though. As i said in another post...there's always the Dermy option of wearing a padded vest lol. All i'm sayin is, he'd have to have a very serious injury to not play given the parlous state of our ruck stocks atm.

Dunn did quite well as a fill in against Crow eaters. Martin with assistance from Dunn and cameos from others as 3rd man up to help out just as we did against Crow Eaters

Edited by Rusty Nails

If it is Stef's ribs, as vaguely reported, then it's one of two situations...fractured or bruised. I'm assuming bruised. That being the case, the only prohibition to him playing is pain. There is no greater risk of injury or other consequences to playing with bruised ribs, so if he can do what he needs to do within the pain, he's good to go. He will of course have an injection. Suck it up Stef, and kick some kangaroo!

Don't think they will risk him at this early stage of a comeback from serious knee injury. Think they will battle on with maybe Juice and Dunn and obviously Martin if ok and in two weeks if he is getting half fit look at Campbell.

Don't think they will risk him at this early stage of a comeback from serious knee injury. Think they will battle on with maybe Juice and Dunn and obviously Martin if ok and in two weeks if he is getting half fit look at Campbell.

In 2 weeks time, will there be gretaer risk in playing Campbell, who retired due to chronic knee issues, or Gawn, who has been almost 12 months since his knee reco?

In 2 weeks time, will there be gretaer risk in playing Campbell, who retired due to chronic knee issues, or Gawn, who has been almost 12 months since his knee reco?

Campbell has the body and experience. At some stage Max will obviously get his chance.

If Martin is injured but Rivers is fit I'd go with a Warnock/Newton combination. Not sure what Warnock can do in the ruck but at least he could defend a big ruckman around the ground.

If Martin is not available, i think we have to play Gawn, if only for this week (hoping Martin's ribs are right for the Saints).

I know he only played Casey 2's at the weekend, but from Gotch's report sounds like Gawn ran out the four-quarters strongly, and (unfortunately) he is the only other ruck option we have on our list who is match fit.

For this weekend, I wouldn't want to be going into this game against the Goldstein/Petrie combo without a genuine ruckman. A Newton/Dunn combo would just be disastrous for us and start us a long way behind the 8-ball. Gawn will at least break even more often, rather than just getting owned in there, if anything, due to his immense height. And it will be good for his development to give him this taste now that an opportunity has opened up, even if it is a bit of a 'Steve Bradbury' case.

Robbie played his first game back this week at Casey also in the 2's, kicked a goal and got through a half unscathed. Perhaps a chance for his MFC debut in 3 weeks time, but we wouldn't want to rush him in without a solid preparation. Played a half this week, will likely play closer to 3 quarters next week for Casey one's, full match the week after. If all goes well, Campbell will be playing for us in 3 weeks as the #1 ruck, with Jamar returning a couple of weeks after that. Please football God's, give him (and us) some injury-luck.

Campbell has the body and experience.

And half a game of VFL reserves match fitness behind him since coming out of retirement. He'd be vomiting on the boundary line by quarter time; we'd have better luck with Stef and his broken ribs I think. Big Maxy has been playing out full games for weeks.

It's got to be Gawn.

I honestly think this weekend is the worst one that we'll have to deal with because of the Martin issue, plus who we're up against.

North: Goldstein & Petrie vs....Gawn & Juice?

StK: McEvoy & Kosi vs Gawn/Martin & Juice

Dons: Ryder & Hille vs Martin & Campbell/Juice

Carlton: Warnock & Kreuz vs Martin & Campbell/Juice

That's the next 4 weeks. Honestly, of those ruck teams, the North one strikes me as the biggest and baddest, followed by Warnock & Kreuzer.

And half a game of VFL reserves match fitness behind him since coming out of retirement. He'd be vomiting on the boundary line by quarter time; we'd have better luck with Stef and his broken ribs I think. Big Maxy has been playing out full games for weeks.

It's got to be Gawn.

He's been on the training track for some time. Obviously you would be aiming from the start of the season,,, to have him up and ready, for a shortened season, having chronic Knees, by 1/3 to mid season to cover Jamar for Injury. no one in theoir right mind would expect to lose your 3 most senior Rucks, Jamar/ Martin/ Spencer, all in one weekend.

Campbell is under done for matchfitness and a bit of touch you would expect. But has some good training under his belt. Maybe enough to be the Sub,, and to either rotate for the last Half, to Qtr & a half, or to come on for a shortened game and play forward pocket rotating through the Ruck and Interchange as well. If he ends the game sore, he'll be one of the boys.

If Martin is available, and Newton could play Key forward and ruck, the 3 could make a formidable and dangerous attack.

Campbell is under done for matchfitness and a bit of touch you would expect. But has some good training under his belt. Maybe enough to be the Sub,, and to either rotate for the last Half, to Qtr & a half, or to come on for a shortened game and play forward pocket rotating through the Ruck and Interchange as well. If he ends the game sore, he'll be one of the boys.

I'm still struggling to see how this is a better answer to having a fully fit, fully big Gawn in the side, rucking for the majority of the game.