Brock McLean

Freak

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I also think we could use a bit more midfield depth. Seriously. If one of our mids got injured this week who would come in?

Strauss? Ergh.

Evans?

And that is with what is probably the shortest injury list we've had for years!

Given that it is next year. Scully, McKenzie, Blease,

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Two, (not contentious at all) he is a top bloke. Met him once and was amazed at how keen he was to talk footy and the dees with a supporter. And I still think putting 10K down for the club was an inspiring act.

He may well be a top bloke, and i have not forgotten the 10k, but those qualities alone do not get you onto a senior AFL list in 2012. Wages will all go up after today's news, so club will demand even more fitness.

i see no point in going backwards purely out of sentiment.

in the years to come i am sure Broke will be welcomed back to club functions.

I voted 'Yes' for two reasons –

One, (contentious) he may still have some good footy left in him if he can get his body right. He was a 5th draft pick and touted as a future AFL captain early in his career. Injuries have taken their toll, but a lot of players have been able to come back from long stints out and rediscover good, if not their best form.

Two, (not contentious at all) he is a top bloke. Met him once and was amazed at how keen he was to talk footy and the dees with a supporter. And I still think putting 10K down for the club was an inspiring act.

He was a 5th round pick in the weakest draft on record and should not be relevant in the assessment of his value now. The demands of the game have changed so much since 2003 that players that lack pace are in real trouble. Brock's issue is that when he does accumulate possessions he does not hurt you by hand or foot. He is a meat and potatoes midfielder and we have enough of them.

It was very magnanimous of Brock to donate the $10k to the club.

I also think we could use a bit more midfield depth. Seriously. If one of our mids got injured this week who would come in?

Strauss? Ergh.

Evans?

And that is with what is probably the shortest injury list we've had for years!

Remember we still have Scully, McKenzie to come back and when they do McLean would not get a look in and one or two incumbent should be nervous.

The day we recruit for depth is the day MFC can forget about on field success.

That's valid. But voting 'yes' out of sentiment is surely allowed :)

Absolutely, and the same goes for Cameron Bruce. But the club made a very good call with Brock, it was tough and some saw it as Harsh, but the reality is we have made a massive gain out of it.

Just think what our list would be like if McLean was still a "gun" on our list. Since he broke that Ankle against Brisbane 2008??? He has never been right, and i doubt he will be again.

Just watched the Geelong-Hawthorn game again last night....Bruce was awful, it was a bit sad to watch in reality. The Club was right, all the way.

Luke Tapscott is a Potential A Grader of the code.

Edited by why you little

Not even for free. This isn't like Croad or Tarrant who were traded then rejoined their mates.

This is a bloke who wanted to get out, he deviated from the line so he can stay f'd off.

Train the house down, get injured, light it up in the 2's then cop a pasting when he finally cracks a game, gets injured, repeat cycle...

I wonder how much Carlton pay him?

He was a 5th round pick in the weakest draft on record and should not be relevant in the assessment of his value now. The demands of the game have changed so much since 2003 that players that lack pace are in real trouble. Brock's issue is that when he does accumulate possessions he does not hurt you by hand or foot. He is a meat and potatoes midfielder and we have enough of them.

True.

Would anyone suggest the club, ND and co, erred in their selections of Brock and Col in that draft?

I thought at the time it was the right call on these two as we were smashed around and needed some grunt, badly. But the game changed so quickly as it has continued to.

True.

Would anyone suggest the club, ND and co, erred in their selections of Brock and Col in that draft?

I thought at the time it was the right call on these two as we were smashed around and needed some grunt, badly. But the game changed so quickly as it has continued to.

Noi, it was a good call at the time, look at the 2006 finals game against the Aints, Brock walked on water that night in the last Q.

Nobody could forsee the future from 2003.

Absolutely, and the same goes for Cameron Bruce. But the club made a very good call with Brock, it was tough and some saw it as Harsh, but the reality is we have made a massive gain out of it.

Concerning big names at our club, Bailey and co have generally made the correct call.

Trav

Brock

Bruce

Junior is still the closest call for me. But probably still correct.

True.

Sox,

If you had a look at the 2003 draft, its a wasteland. Look for picks 3 and 5 with Sylvia and McLean we got Sylvia with possible upside to be special and 100 games and Mclean we got 90 games and pick 12 (Gysberts). In a poor draft we did not do that badly but we did not get the star we craved.

Concerning big names at our club, Bailey and co have generally made the correct call.

Trav

Brock

Bruce

Junior is still the closest call for me. But probably still correct.

i would love to see Junior still out there, mainly because i really do not think captaincy sits well with Brad Green. But after being out last year for 6 weeks with a bad Hammy, how many games would he have managed this year?? Possibly as a sub, but that rule was an after thought in terms of juniors career.

I have no problem with the clubs call and really hate the way the media keep bringing it up.

Junior played the game into his mid 30's. A magnificent effort, i class him as one of our greats. It would have been Dam hard to captain that side after Neita left.

The wheels fell off the MFC for a while there and James stuck it out.

Kudos.

I'd be willing to swap a lowish pick for him. He still has a lot to offer. Obviously he would have no certainty of getting a spot in the firsts, but bear in mind that he was a very highly rated leader and endurance runner. He would have to work damn hard on his speed, but age-wise he fits the bill and I'm sure he could help out if we had injuries to guys like Moloney and Jones.

Sox,

If you had a look at the 2003 draft, its a wasteland. Look for picks 3 and 5 with Sylvia and McLean we got Sylvia with possible upside to be special and 100 games and Mclean we got 90 games and pick 12 (Gysberts). In a poor draft we did not do that badly but we did not get the star we craved.

I just did a quick Wiki look through that draft.

Ouch!

Edited by Red Sox

I'd be willing to swap a lowish pick for him. He still has a lot to offer. Obviously he would have no certainty of getting a spot in the firsts, but bear in mind that he was a very highly rated leader and endurance runner. He would have to work damn hard on his speed, but age-wise he fits the bill and I'm sure he could help out if we had injuries to guys like Moloney and Jones.

But he has had ample time to work on his speed up to now. Why would 2012 be any different? Brock may one day make an excellent assistant coach (although his non shaking of Brett Kirk's hand certainly will not help his cause) But he will not get any faster, what you see is what you get.

Pick 11 for a player who has had about 5 kicks in a Carlscum Jumper? That's Fairy Tale Stuff!!! B)

The thing is, if Brock comes back and gets 30 touches, thats enough to switch everyone around I believe. At the moment 1 in 5 supporters would have him back. And this poll is taken when he is at his career low. I'll bump it after he strings a few games together. That said, I wouldn't have him back simply because he chose to leave us. In terms of playing ability he is easily in our best team. I don't believe Jetta is remotely close to Mclean in terms of football IQ. Mclean is no slower than 2nd fav for the brownlow Jobe Watson.

Might be worth a look on the rookie list just to see if he has any petrol left in the tank. I sure as $hit wouldn't be trading anything for him though.

Sad to see Brock burnt out and broken. He was going to be a star!!

Voted no, not because he left, but because he's just not going to hit the heights that many of us saw him achieving. Also prone by injury the poor bugger, i still remember watching him stomp out a sore foot that turned into a couple months on the sidelines in round one a few years ago.

Can't cut a break, and yeah wasn't the greatest draft in hindsight either.