North Ballarat v Casey Scorpions

dee-luded

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know why Newton wasn't playing?

Reported last week and accepted his one week ban.

Absolute poor timing on his behalf; he should be playing on the Gold Coast tomorrow and Watts should have been running around in Ballarat

Great to see Cook and Blease in the best

And Ricky Bobby and Bate kicking sausage rolls.

Good to see there is loads of pressure to get a game for the read and blue

This is good yes. Pressure on the senior side from within.

On a day Darling played another excellent game, great to hear Cook doing well.

Blease and Strauss' games and reports are very encouraging. Blease may well take half the season to come through but he is coming along at a nice rate from the broken leg. He will certainly make a claim and will be playing permanent football for MFC in 2012.

A good win, but I think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. North Ballarat only had 6 of their premiership players line up last week, and I'm assuming it was a similar number today, I think they'll go from chocolates to boiled lollies and be one of the cellar dwellars this year.

Given we're virtually injury free at the moment, its pleasing to see its competitive for a spot in the team.

How did my man Tom McDonald go? Really looking forward to his developement and expect him to be the first debutant this year.

Ok here we go, gonna have a crack at a match write up. First effort so be gentle ...

Casey came in as solid underdogs against the triple premiership North Ballarat side, who also was beaten in the "Austar/Foxtel Cup" v East Perth two weeks ago only due to conceding the final two goals.

1st QUARTER

It was a great opening term from the Casey team. Highlights:

• Dan Nicholson scoring the first goal and getting involved in the game;

• Joel Macdonald started with a clanger but then dominated off the half back and also had time through the middle. Joel looked far to good for the VFL today in my opinion but can he be as good with the step up?

• Ricky Bobby Petterd, this was HIS quarter kicking Casey’s next goal, and missing another easy one, which is a shame after a nice contested mark;

• the big Spencil started to show his worth. He has become a lump of a lad to say the least, winning in the ruck and tapping a nice ball over his shoulder resulting in a teammate finishing with a beautiful snap goal Casey’s fourth for the quarter;

• late in the quarter Bate found the pill after being quiet in my opinion. Freed for a push in the back and finished it well.

Casey led at the break by 4.3.27 to 0.2.2

2nd QUARTER

• started with North showing a bit of their premiership form booting two quick unanswered goals bringing the score back to 27-14, after not being in it during the first;

• after trying and not spotting Blease during the first quarter, I was happy to see him get his hands on the pill, burst away for 15m kick it LONG inside 50, which resulted in a Casey goal;

• Joel Macdonald continued to show his experience getting the ball at will.....and using well enough, also putting his body on the line;

• LOVED THIS, Max Gawn getting involved and he is a HUGE kid as we all know, chased a tap and cleaned up a North midfielder giving away a free. North player was sore.... I had to stop myself from yelling out “HE’S GAWN” sitting amongst many roosters fans;

• couldnt help but notice Blease again, When he gets the ball isn’t afraid to take a run, and will play the ball long;

• started to notice both Spencer and Gawn winning a lot in the ruck, working over the Victorian State rep Orren Stephenson;

• can't tell you who kicked all the goals, Petterd and Bate getting involved though, Casey running away after North's early dominance, booting the last 4 goals of the quarter;

Half Time:  Casey up by 10.7.67 to 2.4.16

3rd QUARTER

• ENTER Lucas Cook, the home town boy decided to say hello. Cook was involved in both of Caseys opening goals this quarter and also got at least 5 possessions within the first 5 minutes, all around the 50 meter arc, step up some nice I50. Also noted he seemed calm under pressure;

• Spencer, liking the guy but must have dropped 2-3 marks which you thought he had so far. If he can hold them, he could be a lot better;

• Bate getting involved around the forward 50 also Jeremy Howe gets it but can't finish off his opportunities, could have scored couple if accurate. Also plays and looks a lot like Petterd, and plays that way as well;

• Cook really getting involved with another I50;

• ENTER North Ballarat, got right right on top during the middle of the 3rd, kicking 3 unanswered goals, Casey couldn’t get near the ball, adding at least 2 points to their shots....Casey only up by 40ish now.... were up by 60.

• started to notice Strauss at this stage, nice mark around the front of teh centre square, after playing a lot back from what I had seen, paced it out in front Casey player who was the only one who could mark it. Settling goal.

• side note of Jetta's run and carry game, I did see a lot of him but could only see half the ground, was also laying a few tackles;

Casey lead at three quarter time 16.9.105 to 7.7.49 after a late surge

4th QUARTER

• really noticed Blease working his way into the game now, can run and isn’t afraid to carry it through the centre, only gets caught rarely, may rush the odd possession after taking 1 or 2 too many steps;

• Howe speccy, was nice, highlight worthy, then missed from 15-20 metres out;

• Strauss another nice weighted pass I50;

• Nicholson getting the pill, but could still afford a bit more from when I noticed him;

• Cook took a nice mark on the 50 metre line, but dropped it just short, in the square;

• Jetta tackling well: didn't see him get "heaps" of it but did notice his tackling throughout the game(

• Blease to Strauss - hope we hear that combination more throughout the future;

• Gawn can take a mark 3-4 contested ones throughout the day, is just too big, may not be ready yet but if he is fit he will be a great ruck option around the ground.

Casey Finshed them off this quarter, was an easy win, our AFL listed players all killed the roosters, didn’t notice any of the kangaroos players at all, not that there were many, 5 max i think.

The comment was made that it was Melbourne reserves playing North Ballarat, 13-14 melbourne listed players playing today, was really the difference

FINAL SCORE a good Casey win 16.16.112 to 8.8.56 continuing on from where they finished last week.

BEST Melbourne players

1st Q- Petterd was impressive around goals

2nd Q – Joel Macdonald just seemed to get a lot and put his body on the line

3rd Q – Cook – 3+ I50 and close to 10 disposals set up 2-3 goals

4th Q – Bate – was around the ball quite a lot, around 50 gave the ball off a few times I thought.

BEST ON GROUND

Joel Macdonald - was strong all day, got alot of the ball and uses it well enough from the VFL, was really a 4Q effort in my opinion, others played better halves or quarters but not complete games. 

I will admit that following all the players was hard, all having different numbers ect, all high numbers and not being able to look at the Big screen for a close up.

Other people have seemed to notice Jetta and Strauss a lot more than myself and thought that petterd did more... i didn’t notice Petterd as much after his huge first term... I thought after playing poorly Bate was better in the final 3 terms than Petterd, he is big enough to out mark VFL players etc more than he seems to do to AFL listed ones. I also didn’t notice Nicholson that much - not to say he wasn’t near it.

2011 VFL Reserves

North Ballarat 2.2 2.4 4.4 8.7 (55)

Casey Scorpions 6.2 14.4 15.4 18.6 (114)

GOALS:

North Ballarat: Lenehan 2 Giampaolo Kelly Hughes Dobson Towers Curnow

Casey Scorpions: Purves 4 Carew 4 Hill 2 Harrison Clay Pollard Costigan Lees Petropoulos Cleven Tynan

BEST:

North Ballarat: Darmody Brayshaw Giampaolo Kelly Jewell Hughes

Casey Scorpions: Collins Weekes Baumgartner Purves Carew Lees

And don't forget Nicholson, BOG for Scorps, 20yo 183cm rookie from St.Pats/Uni Blues;

Another small defender option? Or midfield prospect?

Just watching the game in the wet in Sydney. It's like goin' to the footy back in the 90's an 80's, fantastic tough footy. the players are taking a little while to adjust to the Wet weather footy.

This WILL Bring back real Full Forwards and real Rovers!

*BP: Get us a Classic Winger in the mold of RFlower or Matera.

Uummmnnnh! Petterd Should have Played this Week !!! JcB31?

Petterds stats look good, but newton kicked how many last week 7? i wasnt that impressed, was good but after his first quarter he was quiter....being picky probs deserves a spot for watts or dunn if they have down games, but will get an extra week to prove himself with us having the bye anyway

A very enjoyable day for any Melbourne supporter at the game today, the sun cancelled out the strong icy wind and every Melbourne player contributed to the big win.

It must be said that Casey had 14 Listed players to 2 or 3(I wasn't paying much attention) for North Ballarat with Pratt the only notable player for the kangaroos playing. All day Casey was able to play the game on their terms with only a 10 minute period in the third quarter where Nth Ballarat looked to threaten Casey's Dominance.

In case anybody's wondering, Brendan Fevola kicked four goals for Narre Warren today against Berwick. Fevola had given a promise to play for Narre in its opening match of the season. He wasn't in the best players of the team which lost by about four goals but is on track to debut for Casey seniors in their next game following the bye. Incidentally, Casey's next game is against Frankston and it's the ABC telecast game.

Uummmnnnh! Petterd Should have Played this Week !!! JcB31?

Disagree- I would play Newton instead at this time. Petterd is not in scintilating form at this time.