Changes for next week.

Gorgoroth

We're on a development path, so I take it we think getting games into kids we feel are decent is important - DB and others have said this.

Given that Watts was a #1 pick the Club clearly rated him, and I imagine the footy department still think he can be a player for us, so if they think he did the right things regarding effort and so forth he stays.

Nasher most of what you say is correct however I would ask one question

For all his apparent talent How many good games has Wona played for Melbourne in three years.

I can remember 3 - 4. The rest have been a quarter here and there.

Not saying he should not be added this week but I reckon he owes big time for the patience the FD has shown in him.

Injuries aside, he's shown enough in his games IMO.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DG I was there and it was one of the 3-4 I am talking about.

But he has a lot of ordinary ones or is injured in between.

My complaint is he does not produce them very often

I hope gets in this week and has a blinder

That would be 3-4 more games than Maric.

You need to actually watch his AFL games to appreciate that. Sure, he might look good in the NAB Cup or at Casey, but when he has been given his chances at AFL level, he has never, not once, stepped up and delivered. And it's more than just disposals or goals. It's effort. It's intensity. It's looking like you're damn well trying.

Wonaeamirri will give me all those, even if he gets a similar amount of the ball as Maric did. For that reason alone, although I believe Wonna will give the side more than just that, Maric goes.

Can't believe that we lost a game because we were comprehensively smacked in the midfield, and some want to drop forwards!

And we lost because some of our senior players & bigger bodies let us down, so they have to bear some of the blame! Possession stats have been used to argue for Jetta, Bennell & Maric to go - well, a number of our leaders weren't any better, and they're the ones who let us down.

I love Jonesy, but whether he was playing "run-with" or an attacking role on Sunday, he was not good enough, especially compared to Bail. And I love the Jet, but his confidence must be shot after that performance, and in the past he's gone back to Casey & played some good games & come back to the seniors breathing fire. So Jetta has to go, but it's Jones & not Maric (or Petterd - good grief!) who goes too. As everybody is saying, in comes Gys & Wona.

Watts got 6 & 9 possessions, but one of our "mature-bodied" forwards only got 5 & 5, so if any forward has to go, it's Dunn. He could be sub (& thus put "on notice"), or could even go out altogether for either Morton (preferably) or if another "mature body" is needed, Bate.

One more thing. I don't know where Moloney goes when he's not on the ball, probably to the bench. So instead of 70-80% of game time on the ball & 20-30% on the bench, I'd like to see him share 50/50 with Grimes, on the ball & off HBF. This is partly to get Grimes on the ball, and also to find somewhere for Moloney (who only got 2 handballs more than Watts on Sunday, not nearly good enough for our number 1 midfielder) to make an effective contribution but not on the ball - he could be very effective as a hard-hitting attacking HBF who could be thrown onto the ball, so I'd like to see how he goes there.

If Moloney can only play on the ball or nowhere, it puts us in a bind if he's having a bad game & we're getting smacked in the midfield. Of course there's no way he deserves to be dropped from the team, but if he's having a bad game, we have to be able to switch him somewhere to allow somebody else to replace him on the ball. It really bothers me that a number of "mature-bodied" others could have been tried on the ball on Sunday - Green, Grimes, Dunn, even Bartram - but they weren't, and I can't help but wonder whether we were stymied by Moloney's lack of flexibility.

Can't believe that we lost a game because we were comprehensively smacked in the midfield, and some want to drop forwards!

And we lost because some of our senior players & bigger bodies let us down, so they have to bear some of the blame! Possession stats have been used to argue for Jetta, Bennell & Maric to go - well, a number of our leaders weren't any better, and they're the ones who let us down.

I love Jonesy, but whether he was playing "run-with" or an attacking role on Sunday, he was not good enough, especially compared to Bail. And I love the Jet, but his confidence must be shot after that performance, and in the past he's gone back to Casey & played some good games & come back to the seniors breathing fire. So Jetta has to go, but it's Jones & not Maric (or Petterd - good grief!) who goes too. As everybody is saying, in comes Gys & Wona.

Watts got 6 & 9 possessions, but one of our "mature-bodied" forwards only got 5 & 5, so if any forward has to go, it's Dunn. He could be sub (& thus put "on notice"), or could even go out altogether for either Morton (preferably) or if another "mature body" is needed, Bate.

One more thing. I don't know where Moloney goes when he's not on the ball, probably to the bench. So instead of 70-80% of game time on the ball & 20-30% on the bench, I'd like to see him share 50/50 with Grimes, on the ball & off HBF. This is partly to get Grimes on the ball, and also to find somewhere for Moloney (who only got 2 handballs more than Watts on Sunday, not nearly good enough for our number 1 midfielder) to make an effective contribution but not on the ball - he could be very effective as a hard-hitting attacking HBF who could be thrown onto the ball, so I'd like to see how he goes there.

If Moloney can only play on the ball or nowhere, it puts us in a bind if he's having a bad game & we're getting smacked in the midfield. Of course there's no way he deserves to be dropped from the team, but if he's having a bad game, we have to be able to switch him somewhere to allow somebody else to replace him on the ball. It really bothers me that a number of "mature-bodied" others could have been tried on the ball on Sunday - Green, Grimes, Dunn, even Bartram - but they weren't, and I can't help but wonder whether we were stymied by Moloney's lack of flexibility.

Half forwards, 'Akum'. They are part of the midfield, they push up hard to help the mids and defenders. Their Often taller with good marking ability. They've let us down and they let the defence down badly.

Our midfielders where overwhelmed, our half forwards were Non existent when under the Pump.

Jetta is the only one that should get dropped. He just looked stuffed after one half of footy that day. Send him back to Casey to get his confidence back.

Let's give the boys a chance to redeem themselves this week. Things got seriously out of hand against the Hawks. They know this, they will be spending all week attempting to rectify the problems. Lets see how the respond against a side that has its back against the wall and will come out hard looking for its first win. By the end of the Lions match we'll know who needs a rocket up them.

Half forwards, 'Akum'. They are part of the midfield, they push up hard to help the mids and defenders. Their Often taller with good marking ability. They've let us down and they let the defence down badly.

Our midfielders where overwhelmed, our half forwards were Non existent when under the Pump.

That's a very good point, and I thought that's why we drafted Tapscott? Showed as a junior tha the can kick goals from a flank, while swinging through the midfield.

No one can dislike a player from their own side as much as you dislike maric with out a reason

Seems like he gave you a reason. And a good one at that. Maric does not appear to try as hard as he might. Tackling, chasing, running, kicking opportunistic goals. These are things a small forward must do. Maric only tries (and fails) at one of those.

in time the following will come in and make us a much better team: Morton, Wonaeamirri, Scully, Mckenzie, Blease, Gysberts. No need to panic, the future is bright....if they sign Scully.

IMO Blease has done absolutely nothing to justify inclusion nor his draft position

He was badly injured anmd will probably not be in the teams future now

IMO Blease has done absolutely nothing to justify inclusion nor his draft position

He was badly injured anmd will probably not be in the teams future now

Wow. You must have gone to all his Casey games to make that kind of categorical statement.

Seems like he gave you a reason. And a good one at that. Maric does not appear to try as hard as he might. Tackling, chasing, running, kicking opportunistic goals. These are things a small forward must do. Maric only tries (and fails) at one of those.

My issue with Titan is that he goes out of his way to bag young Maric and his first comment after we were pantsed by the hawks was that Maric needed to be dropped. There were a dozen players from last weeks game that deserved to be dropped for lack of effort and it seemed a tad unfair to single out Maric who was on for just over a quarter.

And you too are unfair in your comments as at times he has shown all of the things you have listed. I do agree he is yet to show all of them in one game.

With me the jury is still out as to whether or not Maric will make it or not. At times I think he has shown potential and really good signs that he could actually make it but at other times he has frustrated the [censored] out of me with his lack of intensity. During the preason when he was allowed to string a few games together he was our most effective forward and against the hawks in Tassie was actually one of our best. It seems to me that he lacks confidence as history has shown that he is brought in for a game and even if ok as during the Swans game last year, his position is not safe. This year in the opening round he was ok and again demoted to sub and now we call for him to be dropped? I think the FD should give him 3-4 games in a row and then we can all have a clear picture of whether or not he is part of the plans going forward.

My issue with Titan is that he goes out of his way to bag young Maric and his first comment after we were pantsed by the hawks was that Maric needed to be dropped. There were a dozen players from last weeks game that deserved to be dropped for lack of effort and it seemed a tad unfair to single out Maric who was on for just over a quarter.

And you too are unfair in your comments as at times he has shown all of the things you have listed. I do agree he is yet to show all of them in one game.

With me the jury is still out as to whether or not Maric will make it or not. At times I think he has shown potential and really good signs that he could actually make it but at other times he has frustrated the [censored] out of me with his lack of intensity. During the preason when he was allowed to string a few games together he was our most effective forward and against the hawks in Tassie was actually one of our best. It seems to me that he lacks confidence as history has shown that he is brought in for a game and even if ok as during the Swans game last year, his position is not safe. This year in the opening round he was ok and again demoted to sub and now we call for him to be dropped? I think the FD should give him 3-4 games in a row and then we can all have a clear picture of whether or not he is part of the plans going forward.

I agree give Maric a few more games. Needs more intensity but he'll still never be an effective player if we don't keep the ball in the forward line more often.

I agree give Maric a few more games. Needs more intensity but he'll still never be an effective player if we don't keep the ball in the forward line more often.

Could not agree more, the game was well and truely over by the time he got onto the ground.

Have not checked the statts but he proberbly had as many touches in the last quarter as Jones had in the first three!

Could not agree more, the game was well and truely over by the time he got onto the ground.

Have not checked the statts but he proberbly had as many touches in the last quarter as Jones had in the first three!

I think he had six touches after he came on. Putting an opportunist forward on the ground when we re being routed like rarely ever seen before was like feeding children to the lions.

Edited by america de cali

Don't know if this has been posted, but Gysberts and Wona look likely to play

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/News/Article/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=111076

Yep just heard that as well, i am hoping Wonna can help free up Davey a little.

No word on the outs as yet.

I do not go out of my way. I merely observe and comment. Unfortunately for Maric, he brought it upon himself by not looking like he was giving 100%. Furthermore he has yet to play one decent AFL game. I do not subscribe to your argument that he has 'shown potential'. I haven't seen it. And I'm talking AFL level potential. It's just not there, people want it to be there, but it isn't.

He doesn't deserve another 2 games because his previous 2 (or 1.2 if you want to be nice to him) haven't been any good. If he had retained his spot for this week I don't think he would have done anything anyway.

I do not go out of my way. I merely observe and comment. Unfortunately for Maric, he brought it upon himself by not looking like he was giving 100%. Furthermore he has yet to play one decent AFL game. I do not subscribe to your argument that he has 'shown potential'. I haven't seen it. And I'm talking AFL level potential. It's just not there, people want it to be there, but it isn't.

He doesn't deserve another 2 games because his previous 2 (or 1.2 if you want to be nice to him) haven't been any good. If he had retained his spot for this week I don't think he would have done anything anyway.

I think Maric is very unlucky.

How is he supposed to show his wares or get any kind of rhythm going wearing a green jacket and warming his backside for three quarters?

Kind of unfair that his replacement Wonaemirri gets to come and play against an inferior side like Brisbane. He'll probably kick 3 or 4 and consign Maric to Casey for another couple of months.

That's the way it goes though I suppose. Some guys just never get the rub of the green.

I thought Maric deserved the chance to play a full game... doesn't exactly fill him with confidence that he gets dropped after two games where he spent time off as a sub. Oh well. Probably trade bait.

I think Maric is very unlucky.

How is he supposed to show his wares or get any kind of rhythm going wearing a green jacket and warming his backside for three quarters?

Kind of unfair that his replacement Wonaemirri gets to come and play against an inferior side like Brisbane. He'll probably kick 3 or 4 and consign Maric to Casey for another couple of months.

That's the way it goes though I suppose. Some guys just never get the rub of the green.

At least they could give him a floppy green cap, as well and get him to bring the drinks out. The thing I was just thinking for a kid who is still not feeling totally @ home and composed, just being around the side is better than nothing, for a game of two.. It's not totally wasted.

The more he mixes with the First's the quicker he'll feel accepted, and a part of it all.

Fox Sports News tonight said 5 Melbourne players have been dropped. Does that mean Jones, Dunn, Watts or even Pettard are not playing? Not sure how to take this.

Hope to see Maric get another crack soon too.

Edited by america de cali

Fox Sports News tonight said 5 Melbourne players have been dropped. Does that mean Jones, Dunn, Watts or even Pettard are not playing? Not sure how to take this.

Hope to see Maric get another crack soon too.

Reckon they probably just got their wires crossed with the ins... Really don't see it being any more than:

IN: Aussie, Gys

OUT: Jetta, Maric

I actually like what Bails said about not wanting to change too much so that players who played last week had a chance to make up for it (or something similar to that)

And I don't see what the fuss is about dropping Maric? He was told he needed to have an instant impact to keep his spot and he didn't so know he goes back to Casey to earn it back, and for the record I think he will get another shot