Split with Casey?

Sting on the tail for Casey

Looks to me that there have been a lot of issues with Casey we were not fully aware about and that the Fev stuff is the straw that broke the back.

or could it be ... the excuse we have been looking for to get out of our 10 year deal and start our own reserves side. I for one would be very excited if we do!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to read DumbItriou saying that it would cost a club "only 250K more" to run a stand alone team. "only" 250k!! Well, sack him and they could fund 8 teams from his overinflated salary.

as much as i like casey, we have to [censored] them off, clearly not interested in what we are trying to acheive

major stumbling point in we are trying to expand out that way, and if we [censored] them off then it would be taking a few steps back when trying to gain more supporters out that way

The main draw back here is the impact a split may have with our efforts to engage with the Casey community.

From a football department perspective it's a no brainer. You would expect the return on an additional 250k in terms of player development to be significant.

Casey need us a lot more than we need them. Stand alone teams are struggling in the VFL and I don't think they would last too long if we created the Cranbourne Demons. I've never been a big fan of these alliances, I support Melbourne, never gave a toss about Sandringham and couldn't give a rats if Casey disappear into history.

The club should definately pursue this option, we are committed to Casey the region, not the club. $250,000 is not that much if it gives us complete control of the development of our youth. A few years from now might be too late for our kids, drob Casey at years end.

If they sign Fev we can't just renege on the contract.

We will be stuck with him in 2011 no matter what the eventual outcome.

Hearing that it should only cost $500K to field a stand-alone VFL side makes me change my position - I think the sooner the better (although, I am skeptical over the monetary figure).

The main draw back here is the impact a split may have with our efforts to engage with the Casey community.

From a football department perspective it's a no brainer. You would expect the return on an additional 250k in terms of player development to be significant.

I agree. A fair chunk of rate payers money has been diverted to spending on development of Casey Fields. I'm not sure all local residents are happy about this. The club will have to be pretty sensitive in the way they manage any split from the Scorpions.

I am a resident of Casey & believe that based on the extra 250k we would have to spend on a new VFL team each year, it's a no brainer in terms of finances. I hope the club can find a resolution that also will be looked upon favorably by the locals.

as much as i like casey, we have to [censored] them off, clearly not interested in what we are trying to acheive

major stumbling point in we are trying to expand out that way, and if we [censored] them off then it would be taking a few steps back when trying to gain more supporters out that way

I agree lets get rid of them. Melbourne means ALL of Melbourne not just some bogan back water on the cities eastern fringe. Anyhow it's to close to Moe.

OK..so we say we go it alone... then what happens to the deal with Casey, the Shire, not the club ? What happens re the moey and facilities developed there ? It sounds all rather murky.

We should push to take them over.

We will stay in the region even with a 'reserves' side and it would be best if we were 'one.'

Also, Fev being there isn't ar eason to go it alone - he will be gone in 2012 and we won't have the 'lightning rod' to blame for the split.

Also, Fev being there isn't ar eason to go it alone - he will be gone in 2012 and we won't have the 'lightning rod' to blame for the split.

Reading the article there are a number of reasons for wanting to split but as stated FEV seems to be the final straw. The fact that he is only signing for a year shows no committment to the club and it stiffles the development of young talls for 12 months. The fact that even after discussions with Melbourne where the dees made it clear that they did not support getting FEV to the club, they still went ahead with it shows that though happy to take the financial support and benefits of an association with an AFL affiliate they do not respect the wishes of their partner.

By standing alone we can determine who plays where and the game plan we want to adopt and not have to worry about the isssues we are going through at the moment.

Casey feels they are an independent club and want to make their own decisions but are forgetting why they didn't remain a stand alone club in the first place. You can't have it both ways scorps.

The fact that he is only signing for a year shows no committment to the club and it stiffles the development of young talls for 12 months.

He only signed for a year because he wishes to get back to playing AFL. The Casey club are trying to help him out.

Reading the article there are a number of reasons for wanting to split but as stated FEV seems to be the final straw. The fact that he is only signing for a year shows no committment to the club and it stiffles the development of young talls for 12 months. The fact that even after discussions with Melbourne where the dees made it clear that they did not support getting FEV to the club, they still went ahead with it shows that though happy to take the financial support and benefits of an association with an AFL affiliate they do not respect the wishes of their partner.

By standing alone we can determine who plays where and the game plan we want to adopt and not have to worry about the isssues we are going through at the moment.

Casey feels they are an independent club and want to make their own decisions but are forgetting why they didn't remain a stand alone club in the first place. You can't have it both ways scorps.

We aren't the innocant party in this 'treat each other with deference' meme you are saying is being 'final strawed' with Fev.

We pull players form finals that are important to Casey because they are not important to us, and here they can snare a player that might mean a chance at a flag and they have done it.

We quite rightly said 'don't do it' but Casey not listening to us and having this idiot sitting at FF for a year isn't a good enough reason to pull out of the agreement on its own - he'll be gone when and if we decide to renege.

If we do decide to go on our own and start up a 'Cranbourne Demons' - we better cite some actual reasons for doing so.

We should push to take them over.

We will stay in the region even with a 'reserves' side and it would be best if we were 'one.'

Also, Fev being there isn't a reason to go it alone - he will be gone in 2012 and we won't have the 'lightning rod' to blame for the split.

Seeing as they're planning to build a large pokies (gaming) venue down there...maybe the stars are aligning.

He only signed for a year because he wishes to get back to playing AFL. The Casey club are trying to help him out.

Well..lets no be quite so generous there...theyre also helping themselves out for the most part. if it was just Fev then maybe they might have listened more attentively to Melbournes position. They ignored that so its safe to say theyre decision is quite self serving.

But yes..hes looking to resurrect an AFL career and a year in the Magoos is the stepping stone.......watch that step !!

Something in me says it would be unfair to take over Casey, or let them die, after what we've been through of late (and with the merger situation).

However, if the cost is really what they are saying it is, fielding our own standalone team would probably be worth it. I'm pretty sure Collingwood was rapt with how it worked for them last year (players like Jarryd Blair and Brent Macaffer were played in the VFL just as they were intended to play in the AFL, now they're premiership players). It would give us more control over our depth and young players.

EVery other alignment club in the vfl respected the wishes of their afl affiliate. The reason they did this is they know they need the afl club more than the afl clubs need them. Casey thinks they have us by the bollocks because of our agreement with council. Arrogant in the extreme from the JUNIOR partner. Our own vfl side should be a priority for the club and it should be based at Casey. The decision to recruit Fev could cost the scorps a lot in the long run.

Is there even any provision for a takeover ?? and would we want to ?..Im not saying we dont...but do we ?

I am not at all suprised at all this.

I want a reserve side back, but where do they play?

If we break a deal with Casey (and i hope we can) Where do we play the Reserve Team, do we lose our training facilities at Casey??

Will be very interesting to see what transpires over the next 12 months.

What are our long term commitments to the Casey area...we do need that community, just not the Arrogant football club.

Wish i could still support Sandringham...where i grew up!!! BRING BACK THE VFA.

So Fev has caused chaos at 2 afl clubs, and now could be the catalyst that finally destroys the VFA(vfl) after 134 years.

Once the AFL teams all go solo then thats it I reckon for the VFL as a competition.

Pity, I liked the idea of wffiliated teams, and it worked well at Sandy, and Casey did seem a good idea.

The past two final series for Casey and the lack of Melbourne players was not a good sign though. Sandy always had a full quota of demons in their finals.

EVery other alignment club in the vfl respected the wishes of their afl affiliate. The reason they did this is they know they need the afl club more than the afl clubs need them.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is otherwise. Other AFL clubs have had and are having problems with their alignment clubs.

Casey thinks they have us by the bollocks because of our agreement with council. Arrogant in the extreme from the JUNIOR partner. Our own vfl side should be a priority for the club and it should be based at Casey. The decision to recruit Fev could cost the scorps a lot in the long run.

I dont think Casey believe that at all. They are acting in their interests which in certain points differs from our own. Its not arrogant at all. If MFC want to commit to Casey and the community then it should consider taking over Casey at the end of 2011 and running it as an MFC reserves side but keeping the name and showing a commitment to the broader community. I cant think of bigger way of p1$$ing off the local community if we shun the local community side and set up an MFC side in Cranbourne. A real David vs Goliath and MFC will lose any sense of goodwill down that way.

As rpfc says, if MFC is going to jettison Casey then it needs to build and communicate its case very well.

If we break a deal with Casey (and i hope we can) Where do we play the Reserve Team, do we lose our training facilities at Casey??

What are our long term commitments to the Casey area...we do need that community, just not the Arrogant football club.

MFC has a 30 yr contract with the Casey Council. This is seperate to the 10 yr agreement we have with the football club. I am not sure if the Council contract requires as a condition an ongoing affiliation with the Casey team. The Council own the facilities so our access to them should be safe.

But unless we takeover Casey FC I cant see how the community will want us if we squeeze their local club to death by having our 2nds team based out there and playing there.