THE TOM SCULLY TO GWS THREAD

DirtyDees DDC

Tom Scully Statement

9 February 2011

In response to extensive recent media speculation Velocity Sports today issued the following statement in relation to Melbourne AFL player Tom Scully.

Contrary to media speculation, Tom Scully has not signed an AFL contract with Greater Western Sydney.

He is contracted to Melbourne for the 2011 AFL season, and Velocity Sports advised Melbourne in writing in August 2010 of the company's decision to put off all contract talks until the end of the 2011 season.

Mark Kleiman, Scully's Melbourne-based manager, today said Scully continued to enjoy an excellent relationship with the club, and remained committed to building his future with the Demons in a most exciting time for the club. He also confirmed that Velocity Sports had not had talks with GWS in relation to Scully.

But Kleiman said Velocity Sports would be negligent if it did not fully assess the football landscape before addressing the Scully contract situation.

"It's a rapidly changing time for the AFL, with a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and a new AFL broadcast rights deal to be negotiated this year, and it is our responsibility to see these through before we address Tom's contract," he said.

"So, to ensure there are no distractions and that Tom can direct all his energies to the 2011 season, we recommended to him last August that we put contract talks on hold until the end of this season and advised the club accordingly.

"We understand there will be speculation because Tom is such an outstanding young prospect but just as Matthew Pavlich and Jack Watts did last year, among untold others, we feel it is in Tom's best interests to put the whole thing off until the end of the season.

"We've made these comments today to ease any concerns of Melbourne supporters and reassure them that Tom is fully committed to the club. But in the interests of allowing him just to play football we've agreed with the Melbourne administration that we will not address this issue publicly again this season."

----

Now i would be shattered like everyone else if he goes, but just let him play this year and worry at the end of the year!! Until we hear something concrete lets chill and enjoy the upcoming season!

Edited by mousey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read this on bigfooty.

Re: Scully's Already Signed with GWS: Eddie

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePuppetMaster View Post

apparently scully's manager said on SEN he has not signed with gws, but talks will resume at a later date

as i would expect, and as would be normal for many young guns in tom's position

Actually Brayshaw said that Tom's manager said he hadn't even had discussions with GWS. apparently scully's manager said on SEN he has not signed with gws, but talks will resume at a later date

I didnt hear it on sen personally... did anyone else hear the interview with Toms Manager?

I think that is on the level. I think the club has asked his manager to put that out because of all the hysteria, which is epitomised in this thread. The GWS stuff is all rubbish, but that doesn't mean he is 100% going to stay at Melbourne at the end of the year. As far as I'm concerned we shouldn't even really discuss it anymore.

I think that is on the level. I think the club has asked his manager to put that out because of all the hysteria, which is epitomised in this thread. The GWS stuff is all rubbish, but that doesn't mean he is 100% going to stay at Melbourne at the end of the year. As far as I'm concerned we shouldn't even really discuss it anymore.

I don't think the club has asked - I think everyone (club & manager) is collectively trying to do what is best for Tom at this time.

.....and yet for all this media and speculation no one up here has any more of a clue about the GWS!!!

[J]ust let him play this year and worry at the end of the year!! Until we hear something concrete lets chill and enjoy the upcoming season!

I couldn't agree with you more, Mousey!

Tom is committed to the club for 2011... and what a great year it's going to be!

It's time to focus on the positives and stop worrying about the what ifs and other bs.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

The club should dictate to players when contract negiotations take place not the other way around........cam schwab, chris connoly and tim harrington should be telling scully and his management that if they dont sign by a certain they can f off

And that is why it is a good thing you are not running the club. Half of our list would be sitting on the Gold Coast by now if we acted like that last year.

Now that the issue's been put to bed for the time being (i.e. until next week) I believe it's incumbent upon the AFL to introduce some sanity to the situation by issuing a ruling as to the compensation applicable where any player under the age of 22 years of age is signed by an expansion franchise in the future.

I believe the ruling on compensation should be along the lines that where a player under the age of 22 years is contracted to an expansion franchise the player's club may recieve a priority first round selection plus additional selections as appropriate in the cirumstances.

In the case of a Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Dustin Martin etc. this could mean that the first selection in the next draft would go to their club. In practical terms this would mean that if Tom Scully were to be taken by GWS at the end of the year, Melbourne would possibly get pick 1 in the draft (most likely Stephen Coniglio, the player who kicked 4 goals in the WAFL Grand Final at age 16) and another draft pick. This compensation would be greater than what Geelong received for Gary Ablett Junior but Gary is around midway through his playing career whereas Tom, Jack and Dustin are at the start of theirs.

With GWS facing the possibility of losing a first pick to gain a first pick they might concentrate on getting more mature players which is what Gold Coast did last year.

For Eddie's benefit, the might turn their attention to the likes of Swan, Pendlebury or Thomas (if they haven't already signed up one of them :lol: )

Naturally, I think Tom Scully will not want to go anywhere at the end of the year and he will stay at Melbourne anyway and I think there are plenty of good reasons why he should be doing exactly that.

Very Happy that statement has been put out- it at least gives Tom & the MFC time to sort out our own negotiations. The AFL (sorry GWS) have to some degree shown their hand.

Let the war begin...it won't be easy, but i want this club to stand up tall, supporters included. I and many other supporters have gone through some pretty hard times over the last 4 years, & not just to see parts of it ripped off us again after 2 years.

We the supporters and Cotiere groups might all have to dig deep again to win this Battle.

As long as Tom is yet to sign anything we can still win this one. B)

Actually Brayshaw said that Tom's manager said he hadn't even had discussions with GWS.

Brayshaw is not that naive. who beleives this rubbish. of course he is talking with GWS and has been for a while. Why do managers lie like that? they don't actually have to.

Guest 36DD

The facts I see are many Demon fans have come to the same conclusion you have on nothing more than deliberate and purposeful rumour and their own neurotic fears.

The NAB Cup hasn't started yet but you think he has gone?

It's pessimistic optimism, it's the syndrome, and it isn't healthy.

Potato Potatoe, could accuse you of being delusional, I am not basing anything I have said on rumour or neurotic fears, let it be said that I'm also extremely positive and optimistic with what the future holds for the club, the direction it has taken and the personnel we now have at the helm but please dont base your position on fanciful thinking on what you wish to happen you will only be disappointed.....just look at the facts and the situation.

I think that is on the level. I think the club has asked his manager to put that out because of all the hysteria, which is epitomised in this thread.

Obviously a big part of it, as others have said some of the outlooks expressed in this thread alone have been less than healthy. Having said that the fundamental reason why such comment had to be made was due to misrepresentations in the media. Doom and gloom on this thread is a symptom. The misrepresentation/s in the media are the causes.

Scully's press release: "Contrary to media speculation, Tom Scully has not signed an AFL contract with Greater Western Sydney." It should never have had to come to this if proper mechanisms were in place. I do however appreciate that Tom took the time to make such a statement for the well being of all concerned and we can all try and look forward to the season.

For what it's worth I spoke to a mate of Toms dad (I know another mate of a mate told me) and he said the Scully's are very family orientated and not a money hungry family and all Tom wanted was to play footy at the highest level. He told me Tom's dad knew nothing of an approach from GWS. Take with a grain of salt but thats what I was told.

Maybe its karma for us tanking. Ok maybe we didnt tank but not winning those matches. I will be devastated if we lose Tom. The thig is Eddie's mail is uaually right. But Im not sure why Tom would sign before round 1. If Tom has signed I want him to look Jim, Dean and Cameron in the eye and tell them.

And here I was thinking we'd timed out rebuild to perfection...

I wouldn't call it karma, but for what it's worth, I think it would go a long way to reducing the smear of 'tanking'.

Whether Scully stays or goes, I still think we'll be a very successful side in the future.

Edited by wisedog

I managed to read two of the four (four?!?) pages written in the 5 hours since I last looked at Demonland.

Suffice to say, I can tell what the other two will be full of.

FWIW I agree with one of KS's posts from a few pages back. There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to signing with GWS now. No reason, no advantage. By leaving his decision he allows himself to play out this season with an open mind, the possibility of GWS and MFC upping their offers, without locking himself in and fretting over whether he made the right call or not.

Based on that, and what we've heard about Tom, his father, and his manager, I'd be flabbergasted if he's committed to GWS already.

Regurgitating what has already been said - it isn't all about money.

The GWS' argument is.

What else can GWS give Scully that Melbourne can't?

Sure, Melbourne's argument is about everything other than money, but if Scully chooses to go to GWS, it's for the cash.

The way I see it, if I make 50 posts at least one of them has to be on the money.

Judging by the length of this thread, you're not the only one.

Have been at school - can someone please sum up the last 7 pages of MFCSS for me?

I'd reckon the reaction here is emblematic of what will (has) make this into an issue - if this was footy season, it would have blown over already.

I managed to read two of the four (four?!?) pages written in the 5 hours since I last looked at Demonland.

Suffice to say, I can tell what the other two will be full of.

FWIW I agree with one of KS's posts from a few pages back. There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to signing with GWS now. No reason, no advantage. By leaving his decision he allows himself to play out this season with an open mind, the possibility of GWS and MFC upping their offers, without locking himself in and fretting over whether he made the right call or not.

Based on that, and what we've heard about Tom, his father, and his manager, I'd be flabbergasted if he's committed to GWS already.

The GWS' argument is.

What else can GWS give Scully that Melbourne can't?

Sure, Melbourne's argument is about everything other than money, but if Scully chooses to go to GWS, it's for the cash.

Judging by the length of this thread, you're not the only one.

It's the front loaded contract that concerns me the most.....$3million can become $4 million by just leaving it to grow....GWS realize this is their weapon.

Have been at school - can someone please sum up the last 7 pages of MFCSS for me?

I'd reckon the reaction here is emblematic of what will (has) make this into an issue - if this was footy season, it would have blown over already.

Wish you were right 45, but i don't think this will blow over...this particuliar situation also puts the whole draft process at risk...i do not see it as MFCSS at all.