Trengove wants to be a Dee for life

Eth

A wife, young kids can change the priorities of a young man. When these things come along the all mighty dollar speaks awfully loudly....

I would love him to retire a one club player, but money talks and he is yet to hear what is has to say at this point in his career.

Fingers crossed the chance to grow with his peers will be enough to keep our young guns in red and blue.

I hope they all want to be a Dee for life ...

I think you can guarantee that they all won't want to be "RB"

If you were getting $300 000 at the MFC and the GWS offered you $600 000 / $800 000 what would you do?

Play with a few mates or go an hour north for twice the salary and a new bunch of mates!

Would not take me too long to decide.

In the AFL business you could be out of a job by injury or change of coach over night.

Sad as it is take the money would be my advice.

It is not what I want to happen but I will not be at all surprised when someone leaves.

I think you can guarantee that they all won't want to be "RB"

If you were getting $300 000 at the MFC and the GWS offered you $600 000 / $800 000 what would you do?

Play with a few mates or go an hour north for twice the salary and a new bunch of mates!

Would not take me too long to decide.

In the AFL business you could be out of a job by injury or change of coach over night.

Sad as it is take the money would be my advice.

It is not what I want to happen but I will not be at all surprised when someone leaves.

Old dee, there were a lot of Brisbane Lions and Geelong players who didn't leave when they were being "underpaid" and could have earned better money elsewhere.

Thankfully its not always a black and white issue re money, though most would have their price.

Old dee, there were a lot of Brisbane Lions and Geelong players who didn't leave when they were being "underpaid" and could have earned better money elsewhere.

Thankfully its not always a black and white issue re money, though most would have their price.

But there were also a number that did go DC!

All I am saying is I will not be surprised when one does go.

If we are talking of 100 000 more on top of $500 000 it is a lot different to $300 - $400 000 more

Would you stay for $400 000 less?

An AFL career is quite short.

I would take me about 5 minutes to decide.

Edited by old dee

If we are talking of 100 000 more on top of $500 000 it is a lot different to $300 - $400 000 more

You didn't read my post too closely

I just said thankfully thats not true of all players e.g. Geelong and Brisbane (when they were on top) retained many very good players on well below their going rate.

Of course some will always follow the money but its not a cut and dry decision that you implied

On the other side of the coin maybe MFC can buy a few top notchers in the future?

You didn't read my post too closely

I just said thankfully thats not true of all players e.g. Geelong and Brisbane (when they were on top) retained many very good players on well below their going rate.

Of course some will always follow the money but its not a cut and dry decision that you implied

On the other side of the coin maybe MFC can buy a few top notchers in the future?

I agree with you DC however I think an MFC player will go for the cash in the next couple of years

Especially if you think the competition for your spot is getting too tight e.g Mclean

As I said before I would for an extra $300 000 x 3 years = $900 000

When you look at the teams as they were in their premiership window, none of the playrers left. Even as they were building the list, the only players that went were those on teh fringe or those that couldn't be squeezed into the cap.

It is well documented that when a team is in this window, players will stick around for several hundred thousand dollars less.

It isn't all about money to these guys, as much as you seem to want to believe that. They want enjoyment out of life and football too and to enjoy where they live.

The only time players leave is as the decline starts in that teams successes- Ablett saw the writing on the wall. Other players that left to go to the gold coast were either in teams that clearly are not going to be a premiership contender- Brisbane, Bulldogs- or they were on the outer of their teams- Fraser.

I will back it in that most, if not all our really good players will stay for these reasons- they can see what is coming.

those that couldn't be squeezed into the cap.

this is going to be the crucial thing a few years down the track.. if all our young guns grow up to be older guns, it's going to be nigh on impossible to keep them all, and stay within the cap

aah, they should all be made to read robbie's (auto)biography with ron reed, and discover how sticking with one club can pay an emotional dividend at the end hehe

Life changes quickly but right now his passion for the club is obvious. I like the thoughts coming from some of the few comments I've heard from players over the off season.

Many seem to be excited just to get back to playing games again and to continue testing themselves from where they left 2010. Nothing reeks of being ahead of ourselves, even expecting anything. Rather about the next challenge that awaits.

A wife, young kids can change the priorities of a young man. When these things come along the all mighty dollar speaks awfully loudly....

Was interested to read in Barassi's book that Norm Smith went for young players purely for this reason .

He didn't want their minds clouded by too much other than football .

I would love him to retire a one club player, but money talks and he is yet to hear what is has to say at this point in his career.

Unwarranted negativity as far as I can tell. The article was nothing but positive on behalf of Trengove and the MFC, yet you still try to find something bad to say about it? Maybe stick to the Celtics there buddy, even though they have nothing on Miami.

And for the record, he took a 3 year deal (along with Tapscott) instead of taking the standard token 2 year deal (like Scully, Gysberts). Not a knock against Tom and Jordie, but the 2 SA boys come across as being more committed.

Edited by Deez Nutz

Players will stay with a successful team for less money. As playing in a premiership is more important that a few extra hundred thousand of dollars for a few years. The reasoning I think is their currency post playing, where a premiership player has more advantages post career.

So if we are in the mix for a premiership we'll have a better chance of keeping them. But we won't keep them all unless there's a big increase in the salary cap with the new TV rights etc.

Curious, how long does the GWS/GC keep their inflated salary caps?

Players will stay with a successful team for less money. As playing in a premiership is more important that a few extra hundred thousand of dollars for a few years. The reasoning I think is their currency post playing, where a premiership player has more advantages post career.

So if we are in the mix for a premiership we'll have a better chance of keeping them. But we won't keep them all unless there's a big increase in the salary cap with the new TV rights etc.

The inflated salary caps are reduced slightly each year until they return to normal in 2015 for Gold Coast and 2019 for GWS i believe

this is going to be the crucial thing a few years down the track.. if all our young guns grow up to be older guns, it's going to be nigh on impossible to keep them all, and stay within the cap

aah, they should all be made to read robbie's (auto)biography with ron reed, and discover how sticking with one club can pay an emotional dividend at the end hehe

I saw a lot of Robbie Flower he was brilliant!

Unfortunately he played in a period when we were hopeless.

Had he left and gone to Carlton / north melbourne he would have played in premierships

Been on TV ( They only recorded 2 games a week in those days )had much more exposure.

And his reputation would be 10 times bigger than it is now.

I have no arguement with his decision to stay at Melbourne.

However there is always another side to every story

and RF has no idea how he would have felt playing in a Premiership for Carlton.

If he had left his book might have said "leaving to play in a premiership was a good move".

Guest hangon007

Expanded list and increased salary cap:

Team GWS will also have an expanded list size and TPP allowance in the club’s initial time in the competition, through to 2019, as follows:

2012 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;

2013 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;

2014 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;

2015 - 44-48 senior list, nine rookies with $640k - $880k TPP extra allowance;

2016 - 42-46 senior list, nine rookies with $520k - $760k TPP extra allowance;

2017 - 40-44 senior list, nine rookies with $400k - $640k TPP extra allowance;

2018 - 38-42 senior list, nine rookies with $200k - $520k TPP extra allowance;

2019 - 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

*** Very Important to note - "Like its cross-town rival the Sydney Swans, Team GWS will also receive extra money under a ‘cost of living’ allowance - which will be funded by the AFL."

If GWS are really smart and front load a few major contracts they should be able to get the initial advantages to linger for 2-3 years longer.

Gold Coast Concessions

2011 – 48 senior list, nine rookies with $1m TPP extra allowance;

2012 – 46 senior list, nine rookies with $800k TPP extra allowance;

2013 – 42 senior list, nine rookies with $600k TPP extra allowance;

2014 – 40 senior list, nine rookies with $400k TPP extra allowance;

2015 – 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

Also important to note Karmichael Hunt & Isreal Falau dont count in their salary caps for 3 years ... until they are promoted to their primary list.

As per GWS if they also front load contracts they should beable to get the advantage to linger for 2-3 years.

Edited by hangon007

I didn't know Flower wrote a book, whats it called. I'll chase down a copy.

Man I know they got concessions, but for the next 4-8 years thats too much.

The book is called 'Robbie'. Great read.

Just saw this article in the HUN, Dec 31 I know but surely the should be using the new emblem in such articles?