2011 Leadership group!

jarnott10

Jones is a surprise to me. I thought Sylvia would have been ahead of him.

Grimes was a shoe-in.

Glad Sylvia isn't in. From all accounts fantastic around the club and with the young guys...but, maybe he's not a 'leadership group' kind of person...better doing his own thing in his own way. Good on ya Col, this isn't a slight at all

yeah, he might be a suprisse for the skipper role?

wouldn't have thought so since he has actually struggled a bit to eran spot in the 22 at times, is not particularly high profile. I think he is a gem but public perception is important. Macca wasn't high profile but he was AA, Bluey winner and auto-selected every week

Jones is a surprise to me. I thought Sylvia would have been ahead of him.

Grimes was a shoe-in.

I am glad Sylvia is not in the leadership Group, it may not suit him. Let him concentrate on his match day preparations-The elected leaders can pass on Information to him.

Once the Balls bounced Col becomes a leader.

For Jonesy i am rapt, i have followed his FB page the last 6 months and he is so pumped about 2011 that i hope he has a huge season-it's what he wants.

The new responsibility just might do him the world of good.

wouldn't have thought so since he has actually struggled a bit to eran spot in the 22 at times, is not particularly high profile. I think he is a gem but public perception is important. Macca wasn't high profile but he was AA, Bluey winner and auto-selected every week

Yeah, don't want a Van Den Berg captain. But good on him getting into the leadership group.

More I think about it the more I'd like Davey to get the captaincy. I agree with the thoughts that this next skipper is really just filling time until a true leader emerges from the young guns.

I think Davey has ironed out the Yze in him and puts his body on the line when he has to now, so that's not really an issue for me.

He seems to really want it, he's spoken about as a leader, and I think he has it in him to take another step up when the team needs someone to do something.

The media side I'm not sure of, nor do I really care.

Green will be Green whether he's captain or not. More upside in giving it to Davey.

Jones was one of the three Demons who played every game this season.

I thought Chip might squeeze in as a 7th member.

Sylvia can be in the leadership group too; it's now up to him to earn it if he wants it.

No reason why he shouldn't, provided he stays out of trouble from now on.

wouldn't have thought so since he has actually struggled a bit to eran spot in the 22 at times,

Maybe thats the supporters view, but the selection committee think otherwise:

"He is a hard-working and durable midfielder, having played 92 matches since debuting in round 18, 2006. The 22-year-old has missed just four games since his first match." -From the aforementioned article.

Not surprised at all to see Chunk added to the group (in fact I stated he would be in the leadership group in the Brownlow thread).

Edited by hardtack

If Grimes had played closer to 35-40 games then i reckon he would have been a real chance.......however, as someone else said please let his body give us 22 games- then watch the competition take notice. It made me sick all the Harry O talk this year, Grimes is twice the player.

It really is out of Green and Davey. Someone (sorry had a few beers) also mentioned that Green will be Green no matter what, whereas Davey, perhaps elevated to Captain, will take his game and attitude to another level. I'm coming around on this idea.

On a side note, if indeed Davey does become captain there will be a huge amount of press, being that he is one of the indigenous boys... He would be in pretty special company- Goodes, Wanganeen, Long, Chris Johnson.

Did i mention about Grimes........

Maybe thats the supporters view, but the selection committee think otherwise:

"He is a hard-working and durable midfielder, having played 92 matches since debuting in round 18, 2006. The 22-year-old has missed just four games since his first match." -From the aforementioned article.

Bailey has told Jones that his chances of playing in our midfield are slight and that he needs to develop other areas of his game, hence the tagging role. But the leadership group is decided by the players so this isn't taken into consideration.

Good luck to him, but I don't think Bailey gives a sh!t about whether you are in the leadership group when he thinks about his best 22.

Bailey has told Jones that his chances of playing in our midfield are slight and that he needs to develop other areas of his game, hence the tagging role. But the leadership group is decided by the players so this isn't taken into consideration.

Good luck to him, but I don't think Bailey gives a sh!t about whether you are in the leadership group when he thinks about his best 22.

Miller-itis.

if I could have one wish for Christmas it would be 22 games for Jack Grimes next year, bugger world peace and an end to poverty, I just wanna see this kid's body allow him a decent run at it.

And finals????

Also all this talk about chip being included,

Firstly i agree, but we have to remember that we see %20 of the players, (probably less) so while we think someone is a leader we actually only see a very very small proportion of what the players do. So to say Chip should be in, what has he actually done????

Played one very good year?

Also we have to rmember Davey has just come of a serious leg injury (broken/fractured leg?), hopefully im wrong, but its going to harder for him to have a good year

I thought Chip might squeeze in as a 7th member.

not surprised about the selections, yes chip is a super player but doesnt seem the sharpest tool in the shed! rather him focus on hes own game like col sylvia then worry about leadership duties!

actually this whole leadership group things a bit of crap really!, u dont ave to be part of this 'leadership group' to lead on and off the field!

Also we have to rmember Davey has just come of a serious leg injury (broken/fractured leg?), hopefully im wrong, but its going to harder for him to have a good year

If he has a bad season it'll have SFA to do with the leg injury he copped late in the season.

It was a minor fracture and he'll complete pretty much a full preseason, let's not get overly dramatic.

And hrob, you might want to sharpen your own tool before you talk about others.

He was rumoured to be unhappy with his tagging role and was mentioned as a possible trade in October. Good to see him train hard and work his way into the leadership group. I hope this means he has cast off any negative thoughts and is relaxed with his role at the club, because I'd be surprised if Bailey doesn't continue to develop Jones as a tagger next year. He did play 22 games however I think he was dropped for one match, then came in as a last minute replacement.

Be interesting to see when Scully is added the leadership group. He seems as driven to succed as Nathan Buckley, but without the FIGJAM attitude.