Club Chaplain

hellraiser

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold!!! :wacko:

They're unadulterated poppyc0ck, and YOU know it!

I refuse though to get drawn into a debate on religion/atheism

Just rememember there is only ONE true religion and it wears red'n'blue (except in clashes of course) :wub:

I'm hardly gettin into a theistic debate here, DC. And my second post was a joke from Talladega Nights.

Your criticism has excited HO007 too.

There are always consequences...

And yes, there is only one true religion.

I'm hardly gettin into a theistic debate here, DC. And my second post was a joke from Talladega Nights.

my comment on debate was only about me i.e. where i'm not prepared to go in any follow up

and i can heartily recommend an afternoon nap. you can see the beneficial effect it has on me

how did this silly thread get started anyway? oh thats right, its the off season

I'd wager that you didn't know that he was at the club before seeing this clip and that this clip was the very source for this thread.

Yeah, it was that and this article that rubbed me the wrong way

He's a ripping bloke

I also know Cam Butler personally and he has done a great job at MFC

Cam Butler is a fantastic bloke. He was the chaplain at my wedding and was the nicest guy

Missing the point

Yeah, it was that and this article that rubbed me the wrong way

Missing the point

Mate, if he's not there representing any organised religion and not proselytising, let it be - there are more important issues.

Seems he is just a volunteer who loves his footy and is prepared to use his professional life counselling skills to those players who voluntairly seek him out with personal issues they don;t want to raise with club officials or others

Seems pretty harmless to me. No reds under the bed there

Someone call in the PC Police. Should we get rid of our traditional western medicine doctors and their techniques if it offends some of our aboriginal players who have traditionally used their own methods?

Would it make you feel more comfortable if his official title was 'counsellor' rather than chaplain? This bloke does an invaluable

job at the club and your questioning his role and worth?

Edited by DemonDave

Mate, if he's not there representing any organised religion

He is though, daisycutter.

SCA is committed to the basic truths of Christianity including:

* There is one God and creator of all things who exists in three persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit

* The Bible is the inspired and infallible word of God and is our authority in all matters of faith and conduct

* Men and women were created to be in God's image but because of their rejection of God have damaged that relationship. Our rejection of God is deserving of his punishment.

* God's response to our rejection was one of love and grace. He sent his son Jesus into the world. Jesus is both fully man and fully God. He came to restore the relationship between humanity and God by dying and rising again to life.

* The only way we can be made right with God is by accepting the forgiveness that comes through Jesus and his death on the cross and acknowledging him as Lord.

* Jesus will come again to judge this world. All those who have placed their trust in him will share eternity with him.

Seems he is just a volunteer who loves his footy

Click here to find out more about the credibility and many benefits of membership with SCA.

No reds under the bed there

This part bothers me:

"Though only 10-15 per cent of the 200 sports chaplains in Australia are involved in local sporting organisations, Cameron believes the figure should be closer to 90-95 per cent. ... “We’ve made the process of becoming a sports chaplain easier because we need the people to get involved,” he said."

Anyway. I'll let it go. Go dees.

He is though, daisycutter.

Click here to find out more about the credibility and many benefits of membership with SCA.

This part bothers me:

"Though only 10-15 per cent of the 200 sports chaplains in Australia are involved in local sporting organisations, Cameron believes the figure should be closer to 90-95 per cent. ... "We've made the process of becoming a sports chaplain easier because we need the people to get involved," he said."

Anyway. I'll let it go. Go dees.

Ok, the guy believes in Jesus and that bothers you. Is it right that you are happy to have someone looking after "player welfare" as long as they have no religious associations.

If that's the case then your argument implodes on itself.

I'll let it go too.

I squirm a little that the position is specifically 'chaplain', but understand that the role is one of a generalist personal support.

But... that being the case, I guess the flip side is 'Why aren't they just called a counsellor?'

And if anyone says 'because some people feel uncomfortable going to see a counsellor, because of the stigma attached'... um... yeah...

I guess my simple footnote to this is that faith, and particularly 'official' faith, is not considered a welcoming or even safe place for many people, and a person whose primary calling is religous is quite unapproachable on personal matters.

I like to think of this bloke like Shepard Book off Firefly. Fans will know where I am going with this.

Didn't really smother anyone with his religion and famously (to Firefly/Serenity fans) said to Mal Reynolds that he just wanted him to believe in something, he didn't care what, only that Mal truly believed in it.

Man, I love that show!

Anyway, my one belief - The Dees.

I think the role of a chaplain is more spiritual, but not necessarily religious.

I'm a staunch atheist and can't stand religion, but I still deem the chaplain a necessity at the club and of I were one of the players I'd take time to see him.

I think the only criticism over his position at the club is borne out of ignorance.

Guess I'm alone on this. It just seems like a backward step to me, to be teaching the players about the bible when they could be training. It could be offensive to any non-Christian players or members. Better to have a regular non-religious counsellor in my opinion.

Whoa. I'm in the states right now... You'd be lynched for saying that in some areas.

It may surprise you to learn that religion still plays a part in some peoples' lives, they just don't advertise it so much. Also, you don't know how much the Chaplain is paid. He may well be just a volunteer... I would have thought there'd be dozens of chaplains out there that love their footy who'd do it for free...

And on the subject of non-religious councillors... I daresay the club has MANY. Some for sports, some for sports psychology, some for drugs...

This is a child-like view of an atheist towards religion.

Funny you should mention child-like. All religions abuse children by brainwashing them from an early age. Which gives them little choice of critical reason until they're old enough and courageous enough to question the metaphysical fantasies they've been taught.

Funny you should mention child-like. All religions abuse children by brainwashing them from an early age. Which gives them little choice of critical reason until they're old enough and courageous enough to question the metaphysical fantasies they've been taught.

This really shouldn't be discussed on a footy forum but everyone has been indoctrinated by something (MFC maybe). I think you will find that our parents indoctrinate us with a lot of stuff and coming to people come to thier own conclusions as adults about many things, not just religion.

Plenty of kids see their parents abuse drugs and alcohol, see domestic violence and crime and become indoctrinated by that, that is child abuse. If by teaching my children about a peace loving man called Jesus Christ means I am abusing my children, then I will take my form of child abuse over the former.

Whether or not you believe in religion, at least it provides a moral structure for those who made it, and if you don't need it then so be it, but live and let live. Jesus Christ whether you believe he existed or not provides a great example by which to live by. Just like Ghandi, Mother Theresa or Jim Stynes.

I am so sick of these atheist types trying to push their views on others. Imagine the furore if the shoe was on the other foot. It's normally the atheist's claim that religion is pushed down thier throat, this thread has shown that the opposite is at work here. Next you will be knocking on my door trying to get me to convert, giving me free books etc.

rpfc said it - a Shepherd Book approach is all that's needed. No judgement, just a person who anybody can talk to about anything, and receive some moral guidance if required - or even just a chat.

Considering how much the spotlight can follow young footballers around, definitely no issue with me at having a chaplain/counsellor on the staff. Would think the players would be quite happy having an ear 'in the club' so to speak.

Too many people jump to wild conclusions that suddenly all the players will be attending Sunday mass and praying before games or something - what each player does is their own thing.