• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trapper on the outer at the Lions

Chelly

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to show how inept Vossy is. Voss as the coach at the Lions is the worst thing ever to happen at the Lions.

Still love ya Trapper!! You deserve better than this.

Well not really. Trapper is done, unfortunately. Doesn't matter how skilled a player is... when you're as inconsistent as he is and you're pushing, or beyond thirty, you're more-or-less finished. Doesn't make Voss any less of a coach. Probably makes him a better one really.

Just goes to show how inept Vossy is. Voss as the coach at the Lions is the worst thing ever to happen at the Lions.

Still love ya Trapper!! You deserve better than this.

No it doesn't at all.

TJ was recruited by Matthews and underperformed during his reign. His career is finished and he has himself to blame. Loads of talent but did not use effectively in 13 years of football.

45HG16, clearing TJ was a KOTD moment for MFC. It was the correct decision by MFC and should have happened sooner. TJ's demise has been coming for at least 2 years.

No it doesn't at all.

TJ was recruited by Matthews and underperformed during his reign. His career is finished and he has himself to blame. Loads of talent but did not use effectively in 13 years of football.

45HG16, clearing TJ was a KOTD moment for MFC. It was the correct decision by MFC and should have happened sooner. TJ's demise has been coming for at least 2 years.

Two top 10 finishes in the Bluey in his 10 years at the club. It's a damning stat.

Had a very long career despite his deficiencies. Should not be too upset. If he didn't have No 1 draft pick on his resume he would have lasted four or five seasons at best.

The draft pick number is not the issue. He had talent but squandered it and never truly delivered on that talent at 2 Clubs.

Given the criteria Clubs seem to use to select No 1 picks, I doubt whether players like TJ, JFraser and Gardiner would measure up.

Spoke to a relatively recently retired Lions player in 09 and he stated that Johnstone would be delisted or traded at the 1st opportunity as Voss hated him. I asked for clarification and he just repeated, "Vossy hates him."

Johnstone was the embodiment of all that was wrong under Daniher.

A healthy Grimes was incredible compensation for such an inconsistent performer.

I know he was inconsistant but when on song I loved to watch him.

Still think was the best kick the demons have had in the last 20 years.

Sad to see it end like this, come back to victoria Travis I would go to see him in the VFL!

Spoke to a relatively recently retired Lions player in 09 and he stated that Johnstone would be delisted or traded at the 1st opportunity as Voss hated him. I asked for clarification and he just repeated, "Vossy hates him."

If you compare the way Vossy played and the way TJ plays its the exact opposite. I have no doubt in my mind that had Voss been coach of the Lions at the end of 2007, the TJ deal would not have gone ahead.

I dont blame Voss for getting rid of him. He is lazy, frustrating and just waited for the ball and its the best thing we ever did to trade him. Im more impressed with Grimes in his few short years with us then I was ever with Trav. The most frustrating thing with Trav is we all know he had potential but we hardly saw it. Yeah he won a best and fairest but we just never saw his potential enough.

Carlton proved that when they just let him loose in that round 22 game. Im just glad he isnt at our club to drag Scully and Trengove down. Voss wouldnt put up with his crap and I dont blame him.

Two top 10 finishes in the Bluey in his 10 years at the club. It's a damning stat.

On the club in that time because he managed 2, or on him because he only managed 2..?

Both.

I am going to choose to to remember the good things about Trav. Specifically the outrageous kicks that seemed to weave their way through opposition onto the chest of Neita.

I too will never forget watching from just behind him on the members wing, those beautifully weighted bullets stabbed just over the fingertips of opposition, only to drop onto the chest of a teammate inside fifty.

Skilled, no question, but FFS, can he at least make an effort to look professional and have a shave? If I was coach, I'd be unimpressed.

I too will never forget watching from just behind him on the members wing, those beautifully weighted bullets stabbed just over the fingertips of opposition, only to drop onto the chest of a teammate inside fifty.

Skilled, no question, but FFS, can he at least make an effort to look professional and have a shave? If I was coach, I'd be unimpressed.

He isn't a high flying executive, what does having a beard have anything to do with his professionalism?

He isn't a high flying executive, what does having a beard have anything to do with his professionalism?

His long, unkept, neolithic beard, I look upon as a negative reflection of his level of commitment. From most reports I've read on the man, and on the two occasions I ran into him in Melbourne (socially excited and immature), he looked anything but committed. I'm just saying, with tags like his, that style of beard is probably one thing he could do without.

His long, unkept, neolithic beard, I look upon as a negative reflection of his level of commitment. From most reports I've read on the man, and on the two occasions I ran into him in Melbourne (socially excited and immature), he looked anything but committed. I'm just saying, with tags like his, that style of beard is probably one thing he could do without.

He played AFL. Even a player with average commitment, works harder at it, beard on no beard, than anything I'm ever likely to work at. You can say it's a reflection, but to draw conclusions from it is drawing a long bow. Had he played every game like he did the Adelaide final in '02 he could play with a 2 foot hot-pink mohawk, and I wouldn't care. Though, I know Jaded would... ;)

Am I the only one who can easily look on his career with fondness? He played enough good footy over a decade at the club to be considered our most dangerous player by one of the great coaches in Matthews. Then when the club courageously and wisely decided to let him go we got a first round draft pick, from which we got a player who is odds on to outstrip him when his own career wraps up? We can easily be negative on here, but ten years of ok/sometimes brilliant footy, then a first round draft pick is cause for celebration in my book. Even with the #1 draft pick tag, which the longer I go, the less I care about.

Unfortunately Trav fell foul to the culture of melbourne, when he was first picked up. Became Schwartz's favourite gambling buddy, and was protected by all because of his great kicking. These days he would be tested at all aspects of his game at a young age. I feel that if we got a travis Johnston now then he might have turned out a lot better and lived up to his potential

He played AFL. Even a player with average commitment, works harder at it, beard on no beard, than anything I'm ever likely to work at. You can say it's a reflection, but to draw conclusions from it is drawing a long bow. Had he played every game like he did the Adelaide final in '02 he could play with a 2 foot hot-pink mohawk, and I wouldn't care. Though, I know Jaded would... ;)

Am I the only one who can easily look on his career with fondness? He played enough good footy over a decade at the club to be considered our most dangerous player by one of the great coaches in Matthews. Then when the club courageously and wisely decided to let him go we got a first round draft pick, from which we got a player who is odds on to outstrip him when his own career wraps up? We can easily be negative on here, but ten years of ok/sometimes brilliant footy, then a first round draft pick is cause for celebration in my book. Even with the #1 draft pick tag, which the longer I go, the less I care about.

You are not the only one Dappa Dan. I enjoyed him.

There are few perfect people in the world and he had his flaws!

There have been a lot worse players at Melbourne than Travis.

He played AFL. You can say it's a reflection, but to draw conclusions from it is drawing a long bow.

Yes, I understand that. As I said in the first part of my post, the boy can play footy and I loved to watch it. I'm just saying, in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to neaten the beard up a bit when people have been questioning his commitment (rightly or wrongly).

I shower before going out to dinner with friends. It doesn't help my conversation skills but it shows respect. That's all I am getting at.

You can say it's a reflection, but to draw conclusions from it is drawing a long bow.

Agree

Am I the only one who can easily look on his career with fondness? He played enough good footy over a decade at the club to be considered our most dangerous player by one of the great coaches in Matthews.

Fondness? Ambivalence. He was rated dangerous and at times he was but it was too few in delivery. At best he was white hot but he was a frustration with what he delivered below that.

Unfortunately Trav fell foul to the culture of melbourne, when he was first picked up. Became Schwartz's favourite gambling buddy, and was protected by all because of his great kicking. These days he would be tested at all aspects of his game at a young age. I feel that if we got a travis Johnston now then he might have turned out a lot better and lived up to his potential

What rubbish. Trav fell foul of Trav. End of story. He came to MFC with a gameboy attitude and maturity and if anything MFC gave him far more opportunity than others would have given to make it in AFL.

I loved Trapper as a player, amazingly skilled and a deadly kick. But god he was frustrating.

Ripper bloke, still have a training jumper he gave me of his one day that I met him, went out of his way to have a chat and sign any demon gear I had on me at the time.

Favorite memories of him are the final against Adelaide, and his 2 goals against Essendon in the elimination final from outside 50 on the boundary (one the result of Wreckers demolition job on Hird).

Wearing a beard or not he wasn't as professional as we would have liked, the beard made no impact on that. He can look how he wants to look, your looks have zero impact on your footy.