Trapper on the outer at the Lions

Chelly

Guest hangon007

How could the football department justify getting back Trav after having "pushed" junior out the door???

Junior was 36 years old and suffering from persistent hard to shake injuries. Can the same be said for Trapper?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Trav fell foul to the culture of melbourne, when he was first picked up. Became Schwartz's favourite gambling buddy, and was protected by all because of his great kicking. These days he would be tested at all aspects of his game at a young age. I feel that if we got a travis Johnston now then he might have turned out a lot better and lived up to his potential

Hit the nail on the head. Leadership & Culture didn't do Trav any favors, but in saying that, strength of character not a strong suit. Had it too easy and his bad behavior was rewarded by Daniher and co. He'll become a legend of suburban footy and love every minute and beer along the way. If its the end, he's been a pleasure / frustration to watch.

Whether possible or not, if you really want TJ back on our list you must be more of a moron than I originally thought.

This is all just too embarrassing...

Unfortunately Trav fell foul to the culture of melbourne, when he was first picked up. Became Schwartz's favourite gambling buddy, and was protected by all because of his great kicking. These days he would be tested at all aspects of his game at a young age. I feel that if we got a travis Johnston now then he might have turned out a lot better and lived up to his potential

Hit the nail on the head. Leadership & Culture didn't do Trav any favors, but in saying that, strength of character not a strong suit. Had it too easy and his bad behavior was rewarded by Daniher and co. He'll become a legend of suburban footy and love every minute and beer along the way. If its the end, he's been a pleasure / frustration to watch.

I reckon you two must be the type to blame others for your shortcomings - because that's what your doing for TJ.

Any TJ apologists miss the point that every other player during that era came into the same club with the same culture.

He has no one to blame but himself.

Guest hangon007

Whether possible or not, if you really want TJ back on our list you must be more of a moron than I originally thought.

This is all just too embarrassing...

I will say it again ... just for your benefit. If Brisbane do delist Trapper ... which I fully encourage them to do. B)

Then & only then its an "option" we should explore. I will say it again .. we are the one & only club in the AFL that can place Trapper on our list for next to no cost. Assuming we can place him on our Veterans list.

However, Who is the "moron" ?

The person that is not willing to explore all options available?

The person that thinks a round 4-5 rookie draft selection in this draft is a better option than Travis Johnstone?

With all due respect I think I'm starting to learn who the true "ignorant morans" are around here. So yes, I too am fully starting to understand the true embarrassment that many around here display on a nearly daily basis. However, dont get me wrong I'm pointing no fingers.

Edited by hangon007

Guest 36DD

Junior was 36 years old and suffering from persistent hard to shake injuries. Can the same be said for Trapper?

36??? reckon he would be closer to 34....persistent hamstring....one hammy that admittedly took a fair while to get ova.

Gotta ask yourself this question...as a team are we currently as flakey as we were under Daniher???

By flakey i mean, being top of the ladder round 17 then scraping into the finals and losing a couple of matches by 100 points in 2000 then goin on a 14 odd game winning streak to make the granny or the one year up one year down syndrome.

Trav was a leading contributor to this flakiness....I reckon our current side is a lot more honest.

I will say it again ... just for your benefit. If Brisbane do delist Trapper ... which I fully encourage them to do. B)

Then & only then its an "option" we should explore. I will say it again .. we are the one & only club in the AFL that can place Trapper on our list for next to no cost. Assuming we can place him on our Veterans list.

The person that thinks a round 4-5 rookie draft selection in this draft is a better option than Travis Johnstone?

With all due respect I think I'm starting to learn who the true "ignorant morans" are around here. So yes, I too am fully starting to understand the true embarrassment that many around here display on a nearly daily basis. However, dont get me wrong I'm pointing no fingers.

Answer me this...will TJ help us win a flag?

I think this year we can take an extra 2 rookies - anyone confirm?

Just putting it out there, but my last post on this topic, was A MAJOR BAIT,

Why would we want TJ back, struggled to get a gig in a poor side, he is getting old,

He was a great servant to the MFC, but IMO that we are heading in the right direction,

T.J would not be in the FD plans, if he plays next year in the A.F.L. it will be at Brisbane, nowhere else.

END OF STORY

Travis Johnstone's best performances were in finals. This shouldn't be forgotten when the eulogies of his career are being written. We were out of finals games against Adelaide in 2002 and Essendon in 2004 until Trapper brought us back. On neither occasion would we have gotten close if it weren't for him. This fact doesn't sit easily with the perception that he lacked heart, though clearly this perception was also well-founded. As usual, the truth is complex. I'll miss watching him kick the ball.

A nice wrap of Trav. Did enjoy watching him kick the footy.

Would be nice if there was a little bit more to add to the eulogy.

AoB is right we lose money if TJ is a vet.

Green is $225k and Bruce will be around $150k worth os savings under the rules of two vets. If TJ is on the vets list we will have savings of $150k, $100k, and $50k for Green, Bruce, and TJ respectively.

$75k worse off if you will.

The Interchange Bench has changed Dramatically since last year, so i can see a player like TJ being used as the designated Sub. There now is a role he could fill.

And yes i do expect improvement next year, i don't consider it RA RA RR, You may not like Trapper or want him but he does have Talent, and if his attitude is ok he is worth considering.

The designated sub will not be used for a pinch hitting veteran whose talent has been spent. For the record,he did have talent. Its a finite resource in AFL. And you'd be nuts to waste your time on him. And its no wonder you havent considered what Bailey would do. What's changed since 2007? The margin between what TJ delivers and what the game requires has widened. He has not dominated since his tagless R22 in 2007. I hope the other 21 players give you the improvement that you RA RA on. You want improvement and go backwards recruiting TJ.. Amazing.

If he did get a another season with us he will be BOG for sure in two or three games.

It would only be at Casey. He hardly bagged one in 3 years at the Lions.

If we somehow had the "option" of re-drafting Nick Smith and putting him on the veterans list, would we be "morons" not to consider it? Surely if it's an absolutely terrible idea, it can simply be dismissed out of hand?

The people that should get that ...just wont two sheds.

AoB is right we lose money if TJ is a vet.

Green is $225k and Bruce will be around $150k worth os savings under the rules of two vets. If TJ is on the vets list we will have savings of $150k, $100k, and $50k for Green, Bruce, and TJ respectively.

$75k worse off if you will.

isn't it academic if we are not spending 100% of salary cap??

actual costs are still actual costs (bottom line)

isn't it academic if we are not spending 100% of salary cap??

actual costs are still actual costs (bottom line)

Yeah, it's not that persuasive on the face of it but the premise of HO007's argument is that he will be made a vet so we don't have to make more room for him.

Actually, it's not that persuasive...

I'm a not really 'in' this argument.

Recruit back TJ? Just not going to happen.

Guest hangon007

What's changed since 2007? The margin between what TJ delivers and what the game requires has widened. He has not dominated since his tagless R22 in 2007. I hope the other 21 players give you the improvement that you RA RA on. You want improvement and go backwards recruiting TJ.. Amazing.

It would only be at Casey. He hardly bagged one in 3 years at the Lions.

The people that should get that ...just wont two sheds.

Hate to let the facts get in the way of good Trapper bagging session. However, if you look at his 2008 season under Leigh Matthews the "facts" might differ from your assertions, more than acceptable season . However, what changed ... Does the name Michael Voss ring any bells? I just wonder if the "regime" change at Brisbane have any influence on Trapper? Let me think about that for 30 seconds.

Hate to let the facts get in the way of good Trapper bagging session. However, if you look at his 2008 season under Leigh Matthews the "facts" might differ from your assertions, more than acceptable season . However, what changed ... Does the name Michael Voss ring any bells? I just wonder if the "regime" change at Brisbane have any influence on Trapper? Let me think about that for 30 seconds.

The guy was dropped multiple times by both.

Stick to the 'he's a talent' part because when you slip into the 'his attitude wasn't that bad' argument it's on a sand foundation this idea of yours.

I hope the other 21 players give you the improvement that you RA RA on. You want improvement and go backwards recruiting TJ.. Amazing.

At no stage did i say we must recruit Trapper, i merely stated with the upgrade to the interchange laws there could be an opportunity for him, if his attitude is right. As he would come to us for a bargain price-if it did happen.

Trapper's attitude would have to be way different this time around, as he would be at the other end of the pecking order. The MFC is the one place he would get the kick up the date he deserves.

The new sub rule, and the fact that TJ would be a veteran is the reason i bought it up so take it easy RR B)

Guest hangon007

Home & Away Season Games

2008 Trapper season 18 out of a possible 22 .. missed a few due to injury.

2009 Trapper season 14 out of a possible 22 ... Yet interestingly Brisbane clearly think he is so bad they actually recall him for both their 2 finals games!!!

2010 Trapper season 15 out of a possible 22. Interesting to note 10 out of the 15 games where 20+ possessions games.

Edited by hangon007

I just cant see MFC picking up Trapper no matter how "cheap". There again I cant imagine Juice getting an extension

But what would I know

It is certainly out of the box, but that sub position on the bench could be very interesting next year.

Whoever it is, i think a player(s) will be trained specifically for that 22nd spot. TJ was famous for playing single Quarters, that's the reason i bought him up.

Guest hangon007

If we somehow had the "option" of re-drafting Nick Smith and putting him on the veterans list, would we be "morons" not to consider it? Surely if it's an absolutely terrible idea, it can simply be dismissed out of hand?

How many games of AFL football did he(Nick Smith) play last year? Your not comparing apples with apples?

You see if the player was not called Travis Johnstone and you just put forward an argument on ability, surely its an option you must consider, if and assuming if the cost was next to nothing.

Trapper was the "whipping boy" when he played with us. Yet, he was good enough to secure us a first round draft pick in an era when we needed to rebuild. However, now we may have the opportunity to obtain his services again for next to nothing ... yet so many around here dont even want to explore the option. They instantly want to dismiss it.

Edited by hangon007

Stick to the 'he's a talent' part because when you slip into the 'his attitude wasn't that bad' argument it's on a sand foundation this idea of yours.

More like Coode Island silt...

Hate to let the facts get in the way of good Trapper bagging session.

Clearly

Let me think about that for 30 seconds.

Whooaa there cowboy. You do what you can. B)

Wise words but again lost on.....

At no stage did i say we must recruit Trapper, i merely stated with the upgrade to the interchange laws there could be an opportunity for him, if his attitude is right. As he would come to us for a bargain price-if it did happen.

Trapper's attitude would have to be way different this time around, as he would be at the other end of the pecking order. The MFC is the one place he would get the kick up the date he deserves.

The new sub rule, and the fact that TJ would be a veteran is the reason i bought it up so take it easy RR B)

Your first sentence smacks of the semantics you fall into when you are pushing a ridiculous point.

You are saying that we should recruit him if he changes his atttitude and with the new sub rule. He has spent 30 years of his life as simpleton who has never worked out what it takes to exploit what talent he did have. It aint changing now.

And the sub rule will be for the benefit of other player types, not one quarter wonders.

If we were embued with a veteran under the sub rule then we would have kept Junior.

For the direction MFC is taking with its list, picking up TJ (no matter how cheap) is so dumb that I cant believe its a debated topic on here. Dark days indeed on D'land.

As another poster said "It aint going to happen".

Guest hangon007

Clearly

Wise words but again lost on.....

Hahaha... "Wise words" - But actually wrong based on the facts. Hello players do miss games because of injury!! Hehehe. :)

Looks like we really are developing a herd-pack mentality around here. I like it.

Edited by hangon007