• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL 2011 Fixture Talk

Bring-Back-Powell

I am not criticising the AFL's ability to make a fair fixture, as I know they have an obligation to fans and showing off the best teams at the best time, but I think that fixture is TERRIBLE for marketing purposes.

As I said on Big Footy:

You need a favorable fixture to better market your product. If you have the best show on TV, you're not going to put it on TV at 11pm on a Tuesday night. We're given a [censored] marketable fixture because the AFL doesn't have confidence in our brand. We'll win plenty of games next year. But that fixture doesn't nothing to get our brand out to the casual football fan, and those we're hoping to attract. Sorry for not being optimistic, but that's how I feel about that fixture.

And it's funny, because in years past, everyone made a big fuss about the Sunday games making it difficult for us to promote our brand and make money. But now that all those Sunday games are against easy beats, it's suddenly OK...

Consider we have a new logo, new direction, new brand. That fixture is terrible. Big test for the likes of Schwab and co. this season. Hopefully they can continue their great form off-field.

With the unveiling of the fixture many seem to have changed their tune from 2011 finals being potentially possible to potently probable. Lists (2010) are finalised today? The drafts haven't occurred yet? 3 top 8 teams in 2009 did not make the cut in 2010.

I understand where you're coming from, but I reckon the best marketing is momentum based on victories. Essendon had a lot of Friday night Etihad games last year, but in fact it can be a poison chalice if you're uncometitive or your team isn't in the running.

Now that we are genuinely pushing for finals action, I would take a good footy draw over a good marketing draw any day.

I am not criticising the AFL's ability to make a fair fixture, as I know they have an obligation to fans and showing off the best teams at the best time, but I think that fixture is TERRIBLE for marketing purposes.

As I said on Big Footy:

You need a favorable fixture to better market your product. If you have the best show on TV, you're not going to put it on TV at 11pm on a Tuesday night. We're given a [censored] marketable fixture because the AFL doesn't have confidence in our brand. We'll win plenty of games next year. But that fixture doesn't nothing to get our brand out to the casual football fan, and those we're hoping to attract. Sorry for not being optimistic, but that's how I feel about that fixture.

And it's funny, because in years past, everyone made a big fuss about the Sunday games making it difficult for us to promote our brand and make money. But now that all those Sunday games are against easy beats, it's suddenly OK...

Consider we have a new logo, new direction, new brand. That fixture is terrible. Big test for the likes of Schwab and co. this season. Hopefully they can continue their great form off-field.

As I said on Big Footy:

I see it differently, although i know where you are coming from.

The AFL is actually waving the carrot at us the MFC supporter this time around, they want to know how many of us will show up in numbers next year. I think the AFL has confidence in our brand long term, but needs a handle on our supporters.

If we start well & win early games, playing exciting Footy, i think the MFC will pull a lot of supporters to even sunday games. The opposition supporters will be greatly out numbered, but that is out of our control.

Guest Redleg_24

I understand where you're coming from, but I reckon the best marketing is momentum based on victories. Essendon had a lot of Friday night Etihad games last year, but in fact it can be a poison chalice if you're uncometitive or your team isn't in the running.

Now that we are genuinely pushing for finals action, I would take a good footy draw over a good marketing draw any day.

You're right. Its as simple as this: If we are winning the crowds will come. If we are as exciting as we can be, neautral supporters will fill the seats of interstate teams supporters. People will want to see the Demons play. So lets just start winning!

You're right. Its as simple as this: If we are winning the crowds will come. If we are as exciting as we can be, neautral supporters will fill the seats of interstate teams supporters. People will want to see the Demons play. So lets just start winning!

you're delusional if you think neutral supporters will fill seats, maybe QB but not regular games.

quote name='Redleg_24' date='29 October 2010 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1288322599' post='379183']

you're delusional if you think neutral supporters will fill seats, maybe QB but not regular games.

Guest Redleg_24

pft! it's fact of life, the higher on the ladder two sides are, the more netral and affiliated fans turn up

pretty obvious

i know i have been to way more geelong/hathorn/collingwood/saints games than i have essendon and richmond over the last 3-4 years, thats for sure

There's one thing I don't like about the fixture, and it's not the home game at Etihad.

One game against Collingwood?

You'd think two encounters where the total margin was one point would be enough...

pft! it's fact of life, the higher on the ladder two sides are, the more netral and affiliated fans turn up

pretty obvious

i know i have been to way more geelong/hathorn/collingwood/saints games than i have essendon and richmond over the last 3-4 years, thats for sure

Was deezz post in your Top 5 ?

I really like this fixture. Favourable in many ways, 3 games to start at the 'G and at this stage the easiest of away games in Gold Coast. We get a bye into our next interstate trip against who, again at this stage would be the next most favourable of travel destinations.

The remainder of games after this include 7 home & 3 away games at the 'G. 3 away games and 1 home at Etihad as well as the Darwin home game. We get our annual trip to Kardinia Park and finish with a sole trip to AAMI.

A nice duo of Friday Night games (Carlton & Essendon) into the Queens Birthday fixture in the middle of the season. I don't think we could have asked for or expected any more than was delivered from the AFL.

It is a very good fixture for us, hopefully one we live up to and exceed. If we are improving on this fixture in 2012 we will be doing nicely on field.

Wow 5 pages already!!!!

Well we thought our draw was good this year... 2011 looks even better!!!

Stand-out features for mine:

- More free-to-air games so more people can see us play.

- Only travel 4 times!!!! And that includes to Darwin vs Port!

- Play the top 4 teams once each.

- Play wooden-spooners twice and Richmond twice.

- Less Sunday games (plus 3 Fri night games and one Thurs nighter!).

- 13 MCG games.

And I do believe that the AFL have realised that, oh dearie me, those Dees can possibly defeat the Pies... hence we have them just the once in 2011. Boo-hoo.

I seriously can't believe you managed to drag more cons out of that draw than pros??? And one of your pros was wrong? AAMI in round 24, guess that makes it 1 pro you can see?? IMO This is a dream draw with the only real negative being Port at AAMI in the last round.. Just need to make sure our place in October is sealed before that game to settle the nerves.. A home game at Etihad sucks but as for start time on Sundays an hour earlier who cares. Really if this is all we have to whinge about, how good is this!! Go through week by week and look at the amount of games the look realistically winnable.. looks great, got a dream draw for the start of building a new era at the MFC. :):lol:

As a father of 4 young kids I can tell you this draw is not young fan friendly. My kids play the game, and like just about all junior football, they play on a Sunday. Night matches are not good for young kids (home after midnight) so it's likely my 4 kids won't see one home match at the G this year! As a MCC member my MFC membership is in effect a donation. As a one income family I am being asked to buy 5 MFC memberships for no return. There are many facets to a good draw and this is a real negative. I cannot possibly justify buying the number of memberships I have in recent years - sad but true.

As a father of 4 young kids I can tell you this draw is not young fan friendly. My kids play the game, and like just about all junior football, they play on a Sunday. Night matches are not good for young kids (home after midnight) so it's likely my 4 kids won't see one home match at the G this year! As a MCC member my MFC membership is in effect a donation. As a one income family I am being asked to buy 5 MFC memberships for no return. There are many facets to a good draw and this is a real negative. I cannot possibly justify buying the number of memberships I have in recent years - sad but true.

Yep - have felt your same pain for several years with Kids Junior Footy commitments & The Dee's heavy Sunday Fixturing.

However my young bloke is playing U18 Colts on a Saturday Morning in 2011 now & at last a Sunday Fixture finally works.

Season 2011 - Bring It On

Si. - Disappointed I didn't win the raffle though, I reckon it's about time I won it. :) In some ways, lucky enough to be able to do it.

Love the footy. This fixture just makes me want to fast forward life through the draft (pause for Draft at picks 12, 32, 49) up to Boxing Day Test (enjoy Christmas Pork & Pud btw & few sherbets), pause for the Boxing day Test (more sherbets), then fast forward straight through to the NAB Cup.

Geez..I'm getting emotional. Love you Demetriou.

{someone pinch me}

:)

Yep, my bad. Missed the round 22 match. At least it's only 1, and at the end of the season.

Great fixture for on-field, terrible for off-field. I can't imagine the club being particularly impressed.

Not at all terrible for the club. 14 free to air, MCG minimum payment per match, friday night games, thursday night game, real chance to play finals. The club will be stoked.

From a Qld Demons perspective, its pretty damn good. We get an early season game (weather should be typically good in April) v Gold Coast rather than Brisbane and it's on a Sunday afternoon which means more fans can come along to our function afterwards.

Night games are a nightmare and this is a much better fan friendly option.

Now all we have to do is win!!!

Nice article in the Herald Sun today showcasing the Dees' "dream run" in 2011. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/demons-dream-afl-draw/story-e6frf9jf-1225945403254

In the paper, there's a table showing us as having the best draw of all Vic teams.

- We travel 3.25 times and next best is Carlton and Collingwood with 4.

- There's another table showing all the teams' coverage on TV. We are equal with Essendon and Richmond with 14 free-to-air games!!! Essendon have 8 Fox games and we have 7 (who knows with Round 24 though)!! Times are a changing... :)