AFL 2011 Fixture Talk

Bring-Back-Powell

Not happy!! Yes, it appears to be a pretty good draw in 2011, but I am extremely disappointed that yet again we have no game against Sydney in Sydney... that makes almost 4 whole seasons without a game here... over 124 games since the last time I could travel down the road to see them!!!!!

Sorry you can't watch the dees but this is a great draw for us.

Only 4 games against 2010 top 4, play GC twice, only 3 interstate trips ( don't count Darwin as its our home game)

Only go to AAMI once(we always loose there) and Subi once

I think this is best draw in a long time

Understand the situation. A Melbournian stuck in Sydney, I feel for you. ;)

You would have enjoyed China very much then.

Sure did... the added advantage of that particular game was the opportunity to actually meet and talk to everyone from the players, coaches and admin people to the guys that paint the logos and boundaries; the only downside to not being a part of the "official" tour group was probably the fact that I missed out on the official functions, but that didn't really worry me too much... I was never short of things to do :-)

Well, there are those 'true' supporters who are MCC members but have bought footy club memberships as a bit of charity...

And we're happy to do it.

Si. - Disappointed I didn't win the raffle though, I reckon it's about time I won it. :) In some ways, lucky enough to be able to do it.

Love the footy. This fixture just makes me want to fast forward life through the draft (pause for Draft at picks 12, 32, 49) up to Boxing Day Test (enjoy Christmas Pork & Pud btw & few sherbets), pause for the Boxing day Test (more sherbets), then fast forward straight through to the NAB Cup.

Geez..I'm getting emotional. Love you Demetriou.

{someone pinch me}

Sorry you can't watch the dees but this is a great draw for us.

Only 4 games against 2010 top 4, play GC twice, only 3 interstate trips ( don't count Darwin as its our home game)

Only go to AAMI once(we always loose there) and Subi once

I think this is best draw in a long time

and AAMI going into finals (assuming we make them) could provide us with serious confidence (assuming a win). A last round loss at AAMI would have minimal bearing.

This is a great draw. If finals this year than we can look forward to a similarly favourable draw next year too.

It's good to be climbing the respect ladder. Thank you Jimmy!!!

Ouch ? As far as I'm concerned, North have made their own bed at Etihad. Now they can lie in it & make the most of it.

They don't want help, they're intending to build their supporter base, their brand with a good bunch of kids. I haven't read any criticism from their camp re: the fixture, has anyone else ?

Fair enough. But being a Melbourne based club still, I would have thought they'd get more than one...

They aren't very happy on BF, considering Freo get 3 games there next year.

I don't really care anyway, it's only Norf.

Tell that to Melbourne circa 2006.

You arrange the reunion and i'm there. I don't see any good coming out of this.

Well it's better a loss there than on the G in any case. If we can make finals only a slim chancd of an AAMI one.

As an aside I wonder if the draw has possibly changed the view of some as to where we might finish . Might warrant a new thread and poll perhaps but for mine the 2011 cements inky mind well be active in September and not just making up the numbers.

Has anyone revised ( upwards) their expectations having reviewed the draw ?

I'd rather play the pies and the cats twice.

Shame.

And a home game at etihad on a Sunday against WCE? WTF??!

A home game at etihad is mental. I predict 16K crowd numbers.

Easy draw, lots of exposure.

As the mfc website says, it's a 44% increase on free-to-air tv.

Exposure and form is vital for building our supporter base.

Everything else should follow.

A financially poor fixture is only a temporary issue - if we make finals and look good on telly (& we very likely will) we'll reap the financial benefits.

I agree with you E25. I think we play the style of game that scares the likes of collingwood (decent recent record). Wouldn't mind playing them twice. especially seeing as though we will smash them on Queens bday *[fingers crossed]*

Also. the back to back Fridays :) what a dream...

I seriously can't believe you managed to drag more cons out of that draw than pros??? And one of your pros was wrong? AAMI in round 24, guess that makes it 1 pro you can see?? IMO This is a dream draw with the only real negative being Port at AAMI in the last round.. Just need to make sure our place in October is sealed before that game to settle the nerves.. A home game at Etihad sucks but as for start time on Sundays an hour earlier who cares. Really if this is all we have to whinge about, how good is this!! Go through week by week and look at the amount of games the look realistically winnable.. looks great, got a dream draw for the start of building a new era at the MFC. :):lol:

I'm looking at it from a marketing perspective. Quite a terrible fixture for making money. Great for onfield success, but we'll be hit hard in the first 10 rounds.

Guest Redleg_24

PUT SIMPLY - There are 4 games we will make any money out of next season. 4 of 24. That is the honest truth. Buy your memberships people and keep contributing to the Debt Demolition campaign. The AFL are creating financial hurdles for the MFC. Have NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

F... i hate the AFL

PUT SIMPLY - There are 4 games we will make any money out of next season. 4 of 24. That is the honest truth. Buy your memberships people and keep contributing to the Debt Demolition campaign. The AFL are creating financial hurdles for the MFC. Have NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

F... i hate the AFL

Did you forget the deal that nets us $100K for each game at the G..?

We'll do fine, and it's no use taking gates from big crowds where we get belted and it's on fox.

We need to build our supporter base more than we need the extra money.

F... i hate the AFL

It's 4 out of 22, or really it is 4 out of 11 as you never make money out of away games, and Debt Demo is over with half a million in surplus.

And we will make money with home games against Sydney, Carlton, Collingwood, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, and Richmond.

And break even with Brisbane.

And we will lose money against Adelaide, Fremantle, WCE, and GC.

So I see us making money in 6 out of 11 home games and losing money in 4. But we are not fighting financial ruin so why should a footy club care about making a profit? The footy club is being provided with the cash they need to compete.

And lastly, why did we deserve any better than we got? We finished 12th with 8 wins.

I don't really think we 'deserved' much at all.

We only won 8 games and we finished 12th.

It looks to be a draw that Dean and Chris would look forward to and one that would give Cameron Schwab a few headaches.

But as we get better, we will get better draws and if we win games we will get 30k to ES for the WCE game so hopefully we will break even on the day.

We could easily be 7 and 3 going into QB and set ourselves up for second half of the season to attempt to get into the finals and draw some decent crowds.

Fair analysis.

When you consider North finished above us and apparently have copped another raping then we have done reasonably well.

I'm glad our WA game is out of the way in the first half of the season.

The only significant area is no bye after the Darwin game but perhaps the club wanted the bye leading up to it to do promotional stuff up there (interested to know). We have hawthorn the following week who come off the bye themselves so I don't think we'll be favourites for that game.

WYL I actually think that secretly the AFL would love the Dees to get back amongst the thick of it . They laid down the challenge to us some years back and not only did we not capitulate but we are thriving from the challenge to reassert our club back where it belongs ; preeminent in the minds of all Melbournians not just Dees fans . They I think want us to be successful as it will be good for the game .

This draw certainly makes it easier rather than harder .

I think you are right.. oldest footy club in the world, named for the founding city of the sport, steeped in the history of the game.. in 2004-2006 when we were a decent side we had good attendances, i think they would like to see us up there again dominating the MCG

F... i hate the AFL

one of the worst posts I have ever read

top 5

WYL I actually think that secretly the AFL would love the Dees to get back amongst the thick of it . They laid down the challenge to us some years back and not only did we not capitulate but we are thriving from the challenge to reassert our club back where it belongs ; preeminent in the minds of all Melbournians not just Dees fans . They I think want us to be successful as it will be good for the game .

This draw certainly makes it easier rather than harder .

Absolutely BB, it goes back to Vlad's original statement, That at the time "We didn't mean anything"...and sadly he was right. The challenge was laid down to us. Shape up as a serious club or you will die. The past 3 years have shown which direction was taken.

2011 is all about on field performane that will be on Television around the Country, & it is about the Melbourne Supporter. How many supporters do we have that will show up to games.

If we can pull 40,000 to an MCG game against an interstate club both the AFL & the MCC will be stoked.

Let us not forget that the MCC also want good returns from the MFC now...2011 will be fascinating on many levels.

One perspective

AFL these days is all about ratings.

SEVEN - 8 games

FOX - 7 games

TEN - 6 games

TBC - 1 game

I can see it now. Bruce McAvaney and his team thumped their fist down on the desk at AFL House and demanded to see more of Liam Jurrah. Bruce thinks Jurrah is something special, something else and wants to call him more.

Meanwhile in Demetriou's office, a familiar commentator expresses excitement:

"Melbourne are an exciting side" says Bruce McAvaney. "You get the feeling with this team, they're going places, Andrew. Look after their draw will you, and give Seven a crack at them, it's going to be special. They could prove a ratings bonanza. It will be a moment to remember, just like when Linford Christie was at the peak of his powers or a young Carl Lewis in '84 when he took on all before him and accomplished..."

Demetriou rolls over and interrupts, "Alright Bruce ! your wish is granted - but mark my words the Demons will have to take a hit at some stage during the season - they can play a home game against West Coast at.... Etihad..."

"Ewww, you're so cruel Andrew.....but I can see where you're coming from.......ummm....can we have that game too please Andrew ? It is mouth watering - the Demons could well put on an exhibition and mark of the year is not beyond the realms of possibility....oh yes...just look at their list Andrew. Young Tom Scully and Trengove, Col Sylvia in full flight. Chip Frawley - he's uncle would be so proud, then there is Llliam Jurrahhhhh!, what an excitement machi.."

Demetriou rolls back over : "Bruce !!! I think you need a cold shower. Look, go work it out with Fox and Quarters at TEN and let me get back to my Oysters Kilpatrick, please !"

Guest Redleg_24

one of the worst posts I have ever read

top 5

Thanks!

May have exagerrated the point..but seriously, why Freo at the G and Not WCE? Freo get f... all supporters turn up in Melbourne? So surely it would have been better to play them at the G.

In all honesty, money aside, i just hate wally's from other (interstate mainly) clubs, always getting stuck into us for having stuff all supporters at the game. The truth of the matter is, almost all of our supporters sit on the Mmembers side of the ground, so even if we get 29,000 it looks empty.

Its not a good look