Rookies for 2011

beelzebub

Rookie List  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Much talk...and deservedly so about who and what our draft picks will be used for.

But theres another branch to the family, the Rookies. I dare say few other clubs have done so incredibly well over the journey as ours in getting some absolute Gems out of the Rookie basket. Our esteemed outgoing Captain amongst them. Current stars also all come from that wondrous of wonders the Rookie List.

Last year was a tad different. we were keeping a few and making the best of a bad situation in re-rookie-ing a couple. Expedience at best Id suggest

Currently on the list

Rhys Healey

Danny Hughes

Jordie McKenzie

John Meesen

Jake Spencer

kind of...well ought to be Michael Newton ( yes elevated I know )

Of these Meesen retires to take up a position within the club, Spencer is elevated, Mckenzie elevated too with 2y deal.

Those in limbo land : Healy, Hughes and Newton.

Rookies can come from a number of avenues. Draftees overlooked/passed over. Clubs re-signing their un-sures or older players out of favour looking to kick start afield...i.e Miller at the Toiges.

we already have 3 vacancies on the list. Do we go for ( or need ) more ? Do we utilize one for say a PJ or such ?

Do we clean out and look afresh. Personally thats my pick. We pretty well know what we get from the remaining. We still have a bit of warehoused talent to come through. I would like to see a few left field inspired selections for some arguably "projects" at best or toss of the coin experiments if being blunt.

Im not even sure who id pick...but the coming weeks ought to flesh out some aspirants.

Open to suggestions though.... the who ? and why ?

As an addendum:

keep in mind the rookie doesnt have to be a unknown kid....it could be like Brad Miller.. someone superfluous to requirements at one club...but possibly having some value at another. All horses for courses stuff !

At this stage I'll go with some but not all. Some being Danny Hughes as a back up forward remembering we were without Petterd, Jurrah and because of form Bate for extended periods.

This is dependent partly on who we draft.

I like the Trent West talk in another thread, want him, and PJ out altogether and add in new rookies. Without an additional ruckman, PJ to go to the rookie list.

• Like 1

Trent West sort of prompted some of this thinking... but Im inclined to think if we were to get him it might be via the PSD.. So not a rookie ; might be..who knows..just as valid really but would think hed get a gig without going the rookie road.

Weve had a good chance to see what most of our current crop have and to me they are all covered..or elevated.

Guest hangon007

Plus they have modified the Rookie closing date where you can leave 1 position open until the start of next season. So in-effect you can have a "mini-training squad" put them thru a whole pre-season then at the last minute put them on your list. This could be beautiful if you had a "smokey" hidden away and want a back door to get them on your list.

If he can't cut the mustard what makes you think he can cut the oranges?

Somewhere inside Newton the coaches see a solid AFL player. I don't but I have no other explanation for him being on the list.

I'd cut Healy and Hughes... leaving only Newton on the rookie list. He's not a great player, but he's a semi-solid option considering Jamar's our only fully developed ruckman and the new interchange rule only allows for 3 players on the bench.

drafting 5 rookies this year is plenty, and hopefully we can unearth 1 or 2 absolute gems

Healy is gone. He's had a chance and shown nothing. Hughes I would like to think is still a shot but he's been around the club for a long time and not managed to get into the side. Also, isn't his rookie time up? Meesen is gone. Jordie and Spencer I think are both elevations. That leaves us with Newton. I think he's going to be there next year on the off chance that he can show something, whether as a spare forward or back who knows?

I'd love to see us use one of those rookie spots on Scott Simpson. He's a big lad with some serious aggression issues. Was on Geelong's list once upon a time and is only 22 or so. I've only seen him play a couple of times but he has size and athleticism to burn and very nearly killed someone in a tackle. Where's the downside?

PJ stays. Not as a rookie. The talk of him being moved on or shifted on the list is 100% supporter garbage, as usual.

I was going to say all three rookies get the chop, but the noise coming from the club makes it seem like Newton will get another year. If so, then it's as a rookie. The other two should go...

So how many spots does that leave? Is it 5 (with the extra two added recently?) Do we gave any veterans now?

PJ stays. Not as a rookie. The talk of him being moved on or shifted on the list is 100% supporter garbage, as usual.

I was going to say all three rookies get the chop, but the noise coming from the club makes it seem like Newton will get another year. If so, then it's as a rookie. The other two should go...

So how many spots does that leave? Is it 5 (with the extra two added recently?) Do we gave any veterans now?

PJ must be your illegitimate son, honestly...

Noises about Newton, huh?

We'll see...

The following rules apply:

21.4 Retention of Rookie List Players

(a) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a second season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32, prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 4.1.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a second season.

(B) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a third season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32 prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 4.1.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season. If a Player is retained under this Rule 21.4(B), any amount he is paid in excess of the 1st year third round draft selection Player payment will be included in the Club’s Total Player Payments.

© A Club may retain a Player included on a Club’s Rookie List under Rule 21.3.4(a)(i) and (ii) for a third season, using Form 32, provided it nominates such Player prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 4.1.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season.

In principle I hope we rookie as many new kids as possible - with the very lose theory of increasing our chances of uncovering some promising kids. Obviously it doesn't necessarily work like that as we'll probably be sourcing kids way down the rookie order by the time we fill the latter positions. The one thing I consider as a possible factor going forward is the size of our FD and the level of resources we can put into these hopefuls. If this can increase significantly then our rookie program may become a more stringent part of our recruitment rather than mostly pick and hope.

I can't see any of our current rookies (apart from Spencer and McKenzie - promoted) staying unless the club for some reason decides to perpetuate the Newton saga (geez I hope it doesn't come to that though).

Danny hueghes imo is not a bad player, when given the chance at AFL level he wasnt all that bad.

The only problem is that we have so many similar players that play the role that Hughes offers.

I think im in favor of wiping out our whole rookie list.

As we have placed McKenzie & Spencer on the Senior List - we will delist 2 players-IMO- these will be PJ & T Mac. Both, if not picked up by another club, will go onto our rookie List we will delist Meeson, Healey & Hughes -This will then allow our four main picks-12,32, 49 & 52 and five rookie picks. We then will have to decide whether to keep PJ & TMAC on our rookie list as being two of the 5.I think I am correct with this scenario- if not E 25 or HT will let me know.

As we have placed McKenzie & Spencer on the Senior List - we will delist 2 players-IMO- these will be PJ & T Mac. Both, if not picked up by another club, will go onto our rookie List we will delist Meeson, Healey & Hughes -This will then allow our four main picks-12,32, 49 & 52 and five rookie picks. We then will have to decide whether to keep PJ & TMAC on our rookie list as being two of the 5.I think I am correct with this scenario- if not E 25 or HT will let me know.

Pretty sure rookie promotions count as draft picks, so to promote Spencer and McKenzie will eat into our late picks. Might wind up with only 12, 32 and 49 or something?