Cameron Bruce (ouch)

GRUN DEE

well, for the research-challenged:

2001 Yze,Neitz,Schwarz,Febey, Ward,White,Robertson,Leoncelli,Bruce,Walsh

2002 Neitz,Bruce,Johnstone,Brown,White,Yze,Bizzell, Vardy,McDonald,Powell

2003 Robertson, McDonald, Neitz, Bizell, Godfrey, Bruce, Green, Whelan, Brown, Yze

2004 White, Brown, Yze, Bruce, Neitz, Whelan, Green, McDonald, Rivers, Nicholson

2005 Johnstone, Robertson, Davey, Moloney, Green, White, Bruce, Wheatley, Brown, Yze

2006 McDonald, Bruce, McLean, Neitz, Green, Carroll, Whelan, Rivers, White, Johnstone

2007 McDonald, Jones, Bate, Green, Davey, Bruce, White, McLean, Brown, Robertson

2008 Bruce, McLean, Green, Warnock, McDonald, Miller, Morton, Bartram, Wheatley, Wonaeamirri

2009 Davey, Moloney, Bruce, Bate, Jones, Sylvia, Warnock, Frawley, McDonald, Morton

2010 Green, Frawley, Jamar, Davey, Sylvia, Bruce, Moloney, Scully, Garland/McDonald, McKenzie

BRUCE 10

McDonald 8

Green 7

White 6

Yze 5

Neitz 5

Robbo 4

Brown 4

Davey 4

so is anyone else going to challenge?

I am not challenging at all. It actually demonstrates how Bereft of Top Class stars we have had over the last decade. And why we could never seriously challenge.

In the Top sides of the last Decade Cameron Bruce because of his disposal skills would have struggled to get a regular game in the 22.

At Melbourne he was probably picked in the first 3.

Yes Cameron was consistent and for that he deserves credit-But he was never Top Notch, bar those first games of 2005.

That's more indicative of an abysmal period and then before that a period where it was a very different game (& it was acceptable to be a spineless squib with a bit of skill).

Still waiting for a convincing argument.

Bruce was also the only one who was in exactly that age bracket when his form was at it's peak.

The best thing I can say is that he was durable... because he avoided physical contests.

Bruce was also the only one who was in exactly that age bracket when his form was at it's peak.

The best thing I can say is that he was durable... because he avoided physical contests.

YES Great Post!!!

Brad Green ,less than one year younger was not in the right age bracket.

Edited by High Tower
Warning: Flaming is unacceptable

pft how long did you sit there going 'gee how I can argue with that' before rolling out that little gem

"exactly that age bracket when his form was at it's peak" what are you on about 2001 was his second year

none of the older ones (Neitz, White, Yze) got close to ten if you include years prior to 2001 anyway

as for the newer blokes: #1 Johnstone, in there 3 times inc. a 10th

Sylvia (pick #3) has been here 7 years and only featured the in last 2, McLean was 3 out of 6

Davey (and Green) is the only one of the current mob with anything like the consistency

rubbish, rubbish comment

I am not challenging at all. It actually demonstrates how Bereft of Top Class stars we have had over the last decade. And why we could never seriously challenge.

In the Top sides of the last Decade Cameron Bruce because of his disposal skills would have struggled to get a regular game in the 22.

At Melbourne he was probably picked in the first 3.

Yes Cameron was consistent and for that he deserves credit-But he was never Top Notch, bar those first games of 2005.

Cameron won the B&F in 2008, a year where we were absolutely crap and if you look at the top ten for that year it included McLean, Miller and Wheatley as well as Bartram who is serviceable but no star. Also 5 of the top ten that year are no longer with us.

Then have a look at last season's B&F and he slipped to 6th with several of those behind him ready to pounce.

Just an observation that's all.

Edited by RobbieF

Cameron won the B&F in 2008, a year where we were absolutely crap and if you look at the top ten for that year it included McLean, Miller and Wheatley as well as Bartram who is serviceable but no star. Also 5 of the top ten that year are no longer with us.

Then have a look at last season's B&F and he slipped to 6th with several of those behind him ready to pounce.

Yes.

Slipped to 6th. in 2007 too..

BUT

1st in 2008,

3rd in 2009.

What is your point?

Just another observation!!

Yes.

Slipped to 6th. in 2007 too..

BUT

1st in 2008,

3rd in 2009.

What is your point?

Just another observation!!

He wasn't 31 in 2007 he is now.

If you want me to spell it out for you, he is or was at least was our highest paid player and he was still going to be in the highest bracket if he had signed on for another year. Well, if you look at the last three years he has gone from 1st to 3rd to 6th in the B&F and his form would conceivably have gone down hill this year, so how should the club treat someone in that situation?

Edited by RobbieF

YES Great Post!!!

Brad Green ,less than one year younger was not in the right age bracket.

It was just a passing thought.

I took Green as a given.

Name another.

I enjoy watching you writhe and think you have won some small pathetic victory...

edit: and Green is 29, while Bruce is 31.

Not sure how that's less than a year.

Edited by High Tower

Goodness me !

What an astute observation!!

How long did you cogitate over that?

He is three years older than he was in 2008!!

Amazing!!

If you had half a brain, which I suppose you could claim, you would understand that it is harder for someone to regain form as they get older. He may have been able to come back from a sixth in 2007 to win in 2008 when we had a shyte team and he was a fair bit younger, but it would be harder to do the same when we now have a good side with lots of kids pushing for his spot.

It's a pity you can't see what he obviously could.

Cogitate over that.

Spot on.

We are running a business, not a friggin kindergarten. We shouldn't be expected to baby our players.

I agree totally with Jaded- we have to create a climate and a culture symbolic to winning a premiership .Although CC has a personality that could be taken as abrasive, in particular if you did not know him well.

Edited by jayceebee31

so what? we are discussing how ridiculously underrated his career has been

how many blokes in the whole league, ever, would have finished top10 ten years running?

And how many have played one year too many?

I didn't realise that this thread was about how underrated his career was, I thought it was about him being interviewed wearing a Hawthorn track Suit top, check the opening post.

Sorry my mistake the opening post was just stating that he hadn't re signed with the club.

Edited by RobbieF

Wow....

Nearly 700 posts and 20 000 views on a topic about a bloke who left our club to play for the poos and wees for a couple of years at the most. Anyone would think we lost a Gary Ablett or Chris Judd.

He will be well and truly forgotten about once we start pushing towards the finals and beyond, probably should be now.... At least until round 2!

Surely the mods have a Cam Bruce bandwidth limit!!!

And how many have played one year too many?

I didn't realise that this thread was about how underrated his career was, I thought it was about him being interviewed wearing a Hawthorn track Suit top, check the opening post.

Sorry my mistake the opening post was just stating that he hadn't re signed with the club.

You were right with the original thread, but it was since merged with an older thread(s).

(I think :lol:)

You were right with the original thread, but it was since merged with an older thread(s).

(I think :lol:)

Don't know why I even bothered getting involved at all, it's like the family have come on here to defend him against the evil supporters.

Yep, i totally agree. i also remember a radio interview with Cameron after the Adelaide 2002 final where he was clearly Bitterly disappointed at the final result, and he kept repeating that he & the Team had to get better, and you could tell he was genuine. And i have no doubt he really wanted to improve, but in 2003 his form slipped and the whole team didn't even make the finals.

Now i am in no way Blaming Cameron for 2003's results, but it clearly showed how we lacked TRUE HARD Leaders (Nieta couldn't do it all from the goal square).

A Driven club would have improved in 2003 after that adelaide game, we went Backwards.

That's the different feeling i get now with the MFC, each year we are going to improve, even if it is only a little. Falling Backwards is now not acceptable, nor it should. Norm Smith worked that way. Each year had to be an improvement.

Bruce was a pathetic excuse for a footballer and will not be missed.

This thread has sadly degenerated to the absurd and ridiculous

Anyone reading this and looking for a balanced viewpoint would be sadly wasting their time

Its way past its usefulness, move on

His ability to poll in our top 10 so consistently is not an indication of his great talent, but rather the sad state of our list through the latter half of this past decade.

Bruce was a pathetic excuse for a footballer and will not be missed.

maybe we did have a shyzen list, it was still average though, 5 finals appearances out of 10.. nevertheless do you agree that nobody, apart from Neitz, Macca and Green, has contributed more to the club in the last 10 years? If you don't agree name the other players

well, for the research-challenged:

2001 Yze,Neitz,Schwarz,Febey, Ward,White,Robertson,Leoncelli,Bruce,Walsh

2002 Neitz,Bruce,Johnstone,Brown,White,Yze,Bizzell, Vardy,McDonald,Powell

2003 Robertson, McDonald, Neitz, Bizell, Godfrey, Bruce, Green, Whelan, Brown, Yze

2004 White, Brown, Yze, Bruce, Neitz, Whelan, Green, McDonald, Rivers, Nicholson

2005 Johnstone, Robertson, Davey, Moloney, Green, White, Bruce, Wheatley, Brown, Yze

2006 McDonald, Bruce, McLean, Neitz, Green, Carroll, Whelan, Rivers, White, Johnstone

2007 McDonald, Jones, Bate, Green, Davey, Bruce, White, McLean, Brown, Robertson

2008 Bruce, McLean, Green, Warnock, McDonald, Miller, Morton, Bartram, Wheatley, Wonaeamirri

2009 Davey, Moloney, Bruce, Bate, Jones, Sylvia, Warnock, Frawley, McDonald, Morton

2010 Green, Frawley, Jamar, Davey, Sylvia, Bruce, Moloney, Scully, Garland/McDonald, McKenzie

BRUCE 10

McDonald 8

Green 7

White 6

Yze 5

Neitz 5

Robbo 4

Brown 4

Davey 4

so is anyone else going to challenge?

These stats just confirms to me how much of a delusional decade we have suffered. Its amazing how some still want to live in the past. To have Bruce on top of the pile only confirms our indisputable mediocrity for the decade. Another lowlight was TJ's B&F in 2005. The best of a gun side that lead the comp that fell into perhaps the most pathetic lowly rabble ever seen in one season. On a positive note it appears that the necessary ruthless culling and natural attrition has run its natural course and those very few of any real worth pre 2006 still remain. Green and Davey and perhaps Moloney remain. Maybe there is natural justice.

Edited by america de cali

These stats just confirms to me how much of a delusional decade we have suffered. Its amazing how some still want to live in the past. To have Bruce on top of the pile only confirms our indisputable mediocrity for the decade. Another lowlight was TJ's B&F in 2005. The best of a gun side that lead the comp that fell into perhaps the most pathetic lowly rabble ever seen in one season. On a positive note it appears that the necessary ruthless culling and natural attrition has run its natural course and those very few of any real worth pre 2006 still remain. Green and Davey and perhaps Moloney remain. Maybe there is natural justice.

why don't you have a crack at answering the question i just asked E25 - it was a response to his earlier post that said exactly what you have just repeated