Josh Drummond

e25

Looks like the mass exodus at the Lions is set to continue...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-wont-offer-josh-drummond-pay-hike/story-e6frf9jf-1225910406181

How have the Lions managed to get themselves into such a hole?

Voss has really destroyed this team's ability move within the cap in building a list, not to mention their morale/character.

I'm waiting for them to appoint Matthew Newton as Number 1 ticket holder.

So - any interest in Drummond?

Great kick but perpetually injured.

Personally, I think no.

He's too old, just had LARS surgery, we'd have to give up too much to get him and where do we play him?

I think he'll possibly end up sharing a seat next to Mark Williams on the rehab bench.

Personally, I think no.

He's too old, just had LARS surgery, we'd have to give up too much to get him and where do we play him?

I think he'll possibly end up sharing a seat next to Mark Williams on the rehab bench.

If he was a genuine possibility, we should 100% make a play for him. He is EXACTLY the type of player we need providing elite kicking skills, rebound and penetration off half back. Gives us the class we lack in terms of kicking skills in the back half.

He is a quality player, at his best is AllAustralian quality.

He's 27 years old, and we can't always be thinking about the future forever, or else it will never arrive. We can make finals next year, and we should be pushing for top 4 within 2-3 years. He's not too old.

I am concerned with his injuries, however Nick Malceski is a half back flanker, plays in a similar way, and has been awesome with year. Rodan has made successful return. I see no reason why he can't come back a quality player. There is definitely a risk involved however.

We would be silly not to consider him, especially since he's the type of player we seriously lack.

We would be silly not to consider him, especially since he's the type of player we seriously lack.

No way , forever injured .

Edited by Fork 'em

If he was a genuine possibility, we should 100% make a play for him. He is EXACTLY the type of player we need providing elite kicking skills, rebound and penetration off half back. Gives us the class we lack in terms of kicking skills in the back half.

He's 27 years old, and we can't always be thinking about the future forever, or else it will never arrive. We can make finals next year, and we should be pushing for top 4 within 2-3 years. He's not too old.

I am concerned with his injuries, however Nick Malceski is a half back flanker, plays in a similar way, and has been awesome with year. Rodan has made successful return. I see no reason why he can't come back a quality player. There is definitely a risk involved however.

Anyone you would knock back this year?

Where is the space on the list? Who comes off to bring him on?

Looks like the mass exodus at the Lions is set to continue...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-wont-offer-josh-drummond-pay-hike/story-e6frf9jf-1225910406181

How have the Lions managed to get themselves into such a hole?

Voss has really destroyed this team's ability move within the cap in building a list, not to mention their morale/character.

I'm waiting for them to appoint Matthew Newton as Number 1 ticket holder.

So - any interest in Drummond?

Great kick but perpetually injured.

No. Too old. Too injury prone.

Yes he is talented, no doubt. But the risk is too great when we have other glaring deficiencies such as another big bodied forard.

i usually agree with you Sylvinator but have to go against you here. I believe the highlighted comment is a bit flippant and not overly well thought out. You must always keep an eye on the future because if you don't the present passes and you are left trying to play catch up.

Having said that, look at our list and position. We are building for a serious tilt at the flag in say 3-4 years. That would make Drummond 30-31 and close to the end of his career. He will start to lose penetration in his kicking and invariably a yard of pace or two.

If it was 2012 and a 27 year old player was available of his ilk then by all means that is when we seriously consider making a play for him in order to strengthen our finals chances, but we must first build the team to get us there.

I believe that is also the thinking of the footy department.

or Jarred Brennan.

Double No. Overpaid. Overrated. Too inconsistent. No long term upside.

When Melbourne fans turn their nose up at quality like Josh Drummond I am convinced we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Silly comment. I would have thought we were being quite reserved as we are not looking for the immediate fix, instead preferring to build for the proper time. Perhaps it is you who is ahead of himself!

Im not saying we should take him, I just don't think it's right to simply gloss over a player that has proven to be almost AA worthy.

If it's ok to take a 25 year old Joel Macdonald (who is a personal fav and has been great for the side), then why is it an immediate no to take a 27 year old Drummond (who is far superior in talent, he has one of the best kicks in the league).

Considering how upset we all get when it comes to foot skills out of the back half. I would think that he would get slightly more consideration than "he is 27, to old".

Gun player when up and running. Just the type we need as a big weakness is good kickers off half back.

My only problem in his stats below is the first column. He has only played one full season. Can we rely on such a player. 72 games over 6 years is an average of 12 games a season. hmmmmm....

Year Team Games Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag. Brownlow

2010 Brisbane 7 95 29 124 30 4 1 16 0 6 5

2009 Brisbane 20 245 114 359 107 4 6 34 0 13 10 1

2008 Brisbane 13 155 72 227 54 6 4 25 0 7 9 1

2007 Brisbane 11 165 69 234 66 4 2 23 0 13 4

2006 Brisbane 7 81 30 111 39 4 4 12 0 5 6 1

2005 Brisbane 14 144 54 198 70 8 2 14 1 4 7

We need a big forward as insurance in case Watts and/or Fitzpatrick don't make the grade. We need an AFL standard ruckman in case Jamar gets injured. If we can get them in trade or draft, andything else is for future development.

My money is on him wearing Brisbane colours next year. This just smacks of the good old "negotiate by media" stunt so many player managers pull each year.

Probably a lot closer to the truth than much else. Maybe not to begin with as a few have been told by the Lions to look elsewhere if bigger bucks were desired so this could be much a game of brinkmanship as anything else.

as to interest....not much for me.

I'd trade: our first pick or

a player and our second pick;

but i think leuenberger would probably cost more than that so Cornelius would be a more reasonable option.

What do you reckon?

Leuenburger is starting to play some better football. Cost you at least a first round pick that you dont have and GC does.

Given Brown is creaking and they gave Henderson away for Fev :unsure:, I dont think they will give up Cornelius cheaply and he certainly wont be a bargain.

Drummond is a decent player IMO. I do sense he is chasing one last pay day so we might be best to stay away from him.

Good player, but will ultimately get overpaid out of fear of a shallow draft.

Pass on him, trade for someone else with less $$$.

i usually agree with you Sylvinator but have to go against you here. I believe the highlighted comment is a bit flippant and not overly well thought out. You must always keep an eye on the future because if you don't the present passes and you are left trying to play catch up.

Having said that, look at our list and position. We are building for a serious tilt at the flag in say 3-4 years. That would make Drummond 30-31 and close to the end of his career. He will start to lose penetration in his kicking and invariably a yard of pace or two.

If it was 2012 and a 27 year old player was available of his ilk then by all means that is when we seriously consider making a play for him in order to strengthen our finals chances, but we must first build the team to get us there.

I believe that is also the thinking of the footy department.

You're probably right mate, probably just 1 or 2 years too old for our group.

I'm willing to seriously consider any quality player who i believe would add to the group and slot straight into our best 22. Realistically though, i doubt we'll trade.

One point to consider though... when going for a premiership tilt yes it is critical to have most of your senior playing group in their prime (25-28 years old), however look at all the top teams (Geelong, StKilda, Bulldogs, though collingwood not so much), they all have a few genuine quality players who are 30-32. When you're going for a premiership that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Undoubtedly a good player. There's little coincidence that Brisbane's best year of the last 5 was 2009, and in 2009 Drummond had his personal best year.

But he's too injury prone. Age aside, that's enough. If he wasn't as injury prone I'd be happy to go for him, but then if he wasn't as injury prone he wouldn't be in this situation.