DAWN

Demonland

DAWN by Whispering Jack

As the near full moon dipped into the horizon on a crisp Sunday morning in midwinter, those who were up to greet the dawn could not have imagined what would unfold later in the day.

Certain events were highly predictable. Gillard and Abbot would put up a semblance of a debate and bore the living suitcases out of their television audience while a much greater number of viewers would see Adam annointed as this year's Masterchef. Those things were virtually a given. But who, in their right minds would have envisaged a near perfect performance from a young football side that's going through its own dawn in a tough competition?

That was Melbourne taking on the Sydneysiders at the home of football - a home that's been kind to the Swans when they've met the Demons there of late, albeit not that very often.

The Demons shrugged off their customary tendency to start slowly and banged on eight goals two behinds in the opening quarter. They kept up some of the most relentless pressure, forward and back, that we've seen from them for many a long day and even improved their first term effort by two points in the third. The party continued until well into the last quarter when they led at one stage by 91 points before putting up the shutters and letting through a few junk time goals.

There were many heroes on the day which is what you expect when you're winning in virtually every position on the ground. The early catalyst was Brad Green with three first quarter goals on his way to a total of five for the match. He was in exquisite form, marking and kicking goals, roaming wide at times and dazzling the beleaguered Sydney defence who seemed helpless in his wake. And if Green didn't get it then Lynden Dunn or one of the brothers would swoop in for a goal.

For the most part they were fed by the brilliance of Colin Sylvia who took on the role of the dominant dynamo, the likes of which have been rarely seen in red and blue since the days when Ron Barassi Junior made ruck roving an art among football's gladiators half a century ago. He notched up 28 touches, nine marks and seven tackles in the absence of his injured skipper James McDonald and late withdrawal Brent Moloney who has taken on the strongman role of late. He was backed up by the grunt of Nathan Jones and the rapidly improving Jordie McKenzie who had a big day with a dozen tackles and the silky skilled talents of Tom Scully.

Acting skipper Cameron Bruce shut out Ryan O'Keefe and was fantastic with his own run out of defence, ably backed up by Joel McDonald and Jared Rivers but the big performances were those of James Frawley who is writing his name into contention for an All Australian centre half back spot and the equally exciting Colin Garland, superb with his second and third efforts.

There was so much to like about this performance but I believe a few more special mentions are in order.

This was Dean Bailey's day in the sun. It's hard to assess the performance of a coach in charge of a development team. There is so much frustration and inconsistency that the doubts inevitably raise themselves. It was Bailey's biggest win to date and a great one over a master tactician in Paul Roos. The Demons' coach has definitely shown more adaptability of late and the dividends of his hard work are there for all to see. His team is starting to blossom under his tutelage and the indications are that there's more to come judging by the amount of emerging talent available to him both within and outside the team that took on Sydney.

Mark Jamar killed them in the ruck, Clint Bartram started as a run with but became an important player giving run in the rebound out of defence and finally, there was Cale Morton.

Morton's opponent, dual Brownlow Medallist Adam Goodes is an absolute freak and he proved it once again while the rest of his team imploded around him. He stood tall and finished with four goals including a couple late in the game when the Melbourne trumpeter was girding his lungs in readiness to accompany the fat lady for a chorus or two. Despite Goodes' goals and his 27 touches, Morton gave him a run for his money and got more of a valuable education in how to play like a champion in one game than he otherwise would in an entire season. Morton was not disgraced picking up 23 disposals and a goal himself but the dividends of the day to both player and club will come some time in the future when the dawn has well and truly broken and turned into a brilliant new era for the Melbourne Football Club.

That day is coming.

(apologies to those not mentioned - you were all worthy on the day)

Melbourne 8.2.50 12.4.76 20.8.128 22.10.142

Sydney 2.1.13 4.4.28 6.6.42 10.9.69

Goals

Melbourne Green 5 Dunn 3 Jamar Jones Jurrah Morton 2, Bruce Davey Johnson Scully Watts Wonaeamirri

Sydney Goodes 4 White 3 McVeigh Pyke Richards

Best

Melbourne Sylvia, Green Frawley Bruce Jamar Scully Morton

Sydney Goodes, Hannebery, Malceski

injuries

Melbourne Nil

Sydney Nil

Reports

Melbourne Nil

Sydney Nil

Changes

Melbourne Brent Moloney replaced in the selected side by Austin Wonaeamirri

Sydney Nil

Umpires Stevic Wenn Findlay

Crowd 29,374 at the MCG

I was surprised no-one has commented on Dean's change of tactics, specifically the kick to handball ratio yesterday.

I recall some criticism of him for having no plan B.

I also think his move to coaching from the bench is a good idea.

I reckon it's far clearer and easier to get a message through to a player if you can use 'visual' as well as 'auditory' means.

I was surprised no-one has commented on Dean's change of tactics, specifically the kick to handball ratio yesterday.

Yesterday was definitely Plan A!!

Is it a change in tactics or just the result of having a functioning, dangerous forward line?

No... the notion of actually kickig the ball was noted in another thread but agree it seems to have goe relatively uder-commented. The lads seem to be respondig well to Bail's efforts and communications at thebench. Cat see thatbeig his permanent style but as with all thigs its anevolving process.

Definitley a beter balance between the foot ad hand yesterday. I think will only get better as well. Hard to say much about yesterday beyond just a really good team effort. A window into tomorrow :)

When players run and expect to win the football they run to space and demand the footy. Then players kick it to them.

Edited by dandeeman

No... the notion of actually kickig the ball was noted in another thread but agree it seems to have goe relatively uder-commented. The lads seem to be respondig well to Bail's efforts and communications at thebench. Cat see thatbeig his permanent style but as with all thigs its anevolving process.

Definitley a beter balance between the foot ad hand yesterday. I think will only get better as well. Hard to say much about yesterday beyond just a really good team effort. A window into tomorrow :)

Yeah I agree, I think it has been a very wise move for Bailey to coach from the bench, especially while the team is still in 'development' mode. I can imagine a player (especially the younger guys) being far more receptive adn responsive to advice from a coach that is delivered face to face, rather than over the phone.

The biggest thing that I noticed yesterday that was different in terms of strategy was our kicking out from full back. Previously (and frustratingly) we would all stand inside or around the defensive 50 and then the full back would try to kick to a stagnant target who has managed to find some space, or if that isn't working we would just bomb long to the big Russian!

Yesterday I noticed something different... we would cluster into a group at the top of the defensive 50 to create space on the flanks, and then we would use our pace advantage and recieve the kick-ins in that open space on the flanks. It worked very very well! Players were marking the ball at pace (rather than standing still), and we were able to run the ball down the wing. I know this isn't innovative play, because other clubs have been employing it for years... but it was surprising to see something new from us, and it worked very well with our 'run-and-carry' game play. I know that Sydney wasn't using the best zone to block space on the flanks, and other teams will block that space... but it was just good to see a plan B in this area.

I know that he has his knockers (even I have had my doubts) on this website, but Bailey is a very intelligent and strategic coach! I am in no doubt that he knows what he wants from each individual game in terms of game style, and he is trying to SLOWLY build a unit that can play a plan A, B, and C brand of footy. It doesn't happen overnight, and we as supporters need to be patient and remember that!

Yeah I agree, I think it has been a very wise move for Bailey to coach from the bench, especially while the team is still in 'development' mode. I can imagine a player (especially the younger guys) being far more receptive adn responsive to advice from a coach that is delivered face to face, rather than over the phone.

I think this is very much the case. Its a 'build' in progress and it seems dean is making much of the real time evaluations and recommendations ( coaching..lol ) Its all evolving as its happening and not waitig til the various quarter's end etc. Once the team matures I would imagine normal a more traditioal coach's box stle but this is very appropriate for the now. Most importantly the players seem to be reacting well..and thats really the litmus.

Its often been noted ad just as often ignored that the difference between brillaince and abject failure canbe a split second in effort and aspirations. when its good its good and when just a tad off it looks mighty shabby. The difference then in confidence and ongoing results is a chasm.

There were lots of areas yesterday where the little things still need mcuh homing but what we saw was possibly the raw unpolished version of a 2013 Demons.

Amazing to realise Trengove, Grimes , Junior, Petterd Gysberts... Beamer..but funny how the exclusion of non obvious picks ( in a fashion ) changes the the fluid dynamics of a team. We have the likes of Tapscott and Gawn in the years ahead.. a likely in Viney perhaps and lets just suppose the stepping up of some one unpredicted.

Amazing what happens when youre not playing catch up footy !! So much of a sport is the mid game; hope the players took serious note of the resulting diffference because of that superb first quarter blitz.

The future is much brighter than its been for many a many year !! :)

I'm surprised no-one has commented on Dean's change of tactics, specifically the kick to handball ratio yesterday.

I also think his move to coaching from the bench is a good idea.

I reckon it's far clearer and easier to get a message through to a player if you can use 'visual' as well as 'auditory' means.

Its a lot easier to kick the ball when players are playing one on one, & not pushing back too hard to clog up all the space in front of the ball.

Yep, agree with the majority here in that it was Plan A on display. Bails has mentioned in many pressers that he was not happy with the number of handballs.

Reckon that a more dangerous forward set up is a definite advantage to how we use the ball.

There is no doubt at all that when we have a kick to handball ratio greater than 1 (i.e. we kick more than we handpass) we play good football. The question is a bit of a chicken and egg one: does the good football come from using the ball by foot more, or is the higher kick count a reflection of a good day at the office?

IMO it's the former. Either way it's clear that the game plan is not based upon over-using the handpass and that our best football comes when we use it by foot more than hand.

There is no doubt at all that when we have a kick to handball ratio greater than 1 (i.e. we kick more than we handpass) we play good football. The question is a bit of a chicken and egg one: does the good football come from using the ball by foot more, or is the higher kick count a reflection of a good day at the office?

IMO it's the former. Either way it's clear that the game plan is not based upon over-using the handpass and that our best football comes when we use it by foot more than hand.

Wrong.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2010/111920100424.html

When we flogged the Lions it was less than 1.

Its all about making the right decisions by hand or foot each and every time.

Our developomental coach is developing himself.

Melbourne never handballed so much as it has until Bailey came. Club officials defended the new handball plan when speaking at functions often stating that when YOU fans used to cry out 'kick it', that was exactly what the opposition wanted. Our very modest list of players had grown up kicking the football. The excessive handball grew out of Bailey's game plan and his questionable ability to get his message over. With a growing team talent and experience and Bailey's confidence in the job and discovery that he really did believe you should kick more than handball he has developed a better understanding of his role.

Sitting on the sideline and chatting to players is part of his development. I think it has more to do with the arm around the shoulder and pat on the bum than his incessant chatter in the heat of the battle. Rapport with the coach is really encouraging for young developing players. His low key ways seem good with this aspect of coaching. They all like him. His strategic abilities are best seen when we are behind the eight ball. On this level I am still wondering.

But good luck to him he swill be waling on cloud nine this week as we all are.

T-U...its confidence. when you start playing on song, ifonly a little your own confidence and that of your compatriots to execute the coaches dictate rise. Handballs start gettig to players where they can then use the pil properly and without havig to juglle etc. Kicks ( passes ) start coming of the boots cleaner. Players fid an dextra half a yard to get into a beter position to take aforementioned kick. Marks stick and the ball just seems to bouce your way again. It 90%

In the heads of the players. One good decision often breeds another and then it all seems so ridiculously easy. we all shake our heads ( happily ) and wonder why it isnt always so. But Take away that same confidence and it all unravels mightly quick !!

The lack of beleif in the game unfolding according to our wishes put pressure on the decision making; little hesitations result in a poor handpass...or a stoped player and so on and so on. All that compouds into cr@p play We've all seen that.

Now nextweek will be truly interesting as we havent traveled all that well and thats as much a mind thing as any. If we can sprig out of the blocks again then we may have well and truly turned that corner..fail to do so and its the classic one step forward two steps back.

Do Melbourne dare to play fearlessly fronm the get go and man up and play self beleiving football or retreat to playing to defending agaist a loss ??

Already been said in this thread, but I agree that yesterday was Plan A with good implementation.

Exactly.

Against a good team playing half decent we would need an extra handball off to a running player - hence the handball count yesterday; there was no need for an extra handball - there was no opponent...

Our developomental coach is developing himself.

Melbourne never handballed so much as it has until Bailey came. Club officials defended the new handball plan when speaking at functions often stating that when YOU fans used to cry out 'kick it', that was exactly what the opposition wanted. Our very modest list of players had grown up kicking the football. The excessive handball grew out of Bailey's game plan and his questionable ability to get his message over. With a growing team talent and experience and Bailey's confidence in the job and discovery that he really did believe you should kick more than handball he has developed a better understanding of his role.

Thanks for the fantasy. Bailey's game plan and message has not changed one iota. His demeanour is the same whether we win or lose. He knows what has to be done and is direct and deliberate in what he says to the player. From all reports I have had heard there is a lot of respect and support for Bailey from the players and the Club.

Well there you go.

I still believe we're better when we kick it more than we handpass it.

Against a good team playing half decent we would need an extra handball off to a running player - hence the handball count yesterday; there was no need for an extra handball - there was no opponent...

Well said. Yesterday was one of the most open games of football where MFC were under little pressure when we had the ball. Options were easy to find and the ball carrier was given more time to find them. It was a great effort by MFC but the Swans (bar Goodes and McGlynn) were as tough as marshmallows.

There was no "change" as such. All that happened was that a number of things we've been trying to do all year just came together:

* The leaders all stepped up when they needed to.

* We spread and presented and created space well, and used the ball extremely well and at great speed.

* Although we used the corridor a lot, we weren't afraid to move it wider if that was the better option.

* All our forwards put fantastic pressure on their running defenders (Wonna being an inspired choice here), which messed up their whole game plan of attacking off half-back.

* We had 22 contributors and no weak link.

* Our defence ... well, they just played like our defence.

* The addition of Bail, Maric & Wonna gave us a lot of pace around the middle.

Yesterday showed what we're capable of. We probably would have beaten anybody yesterday. But the difference between us being Geelong & us being Essendon, for example, is the ability to produce what you're capable of week in week out. At the moment we're capable of being terrible next weekend (and we'll probably still struggle against sides that play a zone), but IMO it's only a matter of time before yesterday becomes our expected standard no matter who we play.

Space and time -- we had plenty of it.

We make the extra handball when we are under pressure from the opposition.

It is true that we play better when we don't handball as much, but that is more borne of necessity.

Sydney focus on stoppages but were no match for us once we got the ball out and ran it on the open spaces of the G.

I wouldn't expect too many more wins like this too soon. I think we're just fortunate we match up against the Swans really well.

It is true that we play better when we don't handball as much, but that is more borne of necessity.

Most teams do play better when they're not under pressure.

Sydney focus on stoppages but were no match for us once we got the ball out and ran it on the open spaces of the G.

I wouldn't expect too many more wins like this too soon. I think we're just fortunate we match up against the Swans really well.

Our willingness to play on at any chance was, well delicious...

Willingness to play on, willingness to run hard all day basically took the game from these nothern lake dwellers by itself.

The added bonus of players being switched on by the opening siren for once set the foundation ground work of confidence, which confidence throughout the first quarter built off..

Good starts + playing on all the time + running to space + hitting targets = virtually imposible for your opponent to stop. And with a massive 40 point head start in the first quarter what could they do about that?

My only question is why cant we start like this every week? I don't expect this performance week in week out- we are young and can't be "on" all the time.

If we were switched on before the Freo game we would have had that one too.. no doubt a couple more possible wins along the way. Why the slow starts?

Already been said in this thread, but I agree that yesterday was Plan A with good implementation.

Agreed.

What I have always found curious about the whole 'Plan A', 'Plan B' debate is that many posters have argued in the context that they already know what Plan A is. Surely common sense would dictate that 'Plan A', if we are to entertain such a concept is an evolving course which develops in tandem with the growth of our team. Even Bailey as a coach is developing.

Whilst I agree with comments to the effect that Sydney let us play the way we wanted for much of the game, the fact we played that way didn't happen by chance. It is not as if we play Sydney every week. To my mind there was a clear pre-meditated tactic to how we approached the game yesterday. The beauty of this is that as the players develop, gameday tactics will become more prevalent due to our increased capacity to execute them. Our 'Plan A' and our repertoire is growing all the time.

IMO a significant benefit of the way Bailey has approached our development is that we had a clear game style that he wanted to drill over time which means less propensity for confusion amongst the playing group once we start branching out - ie he hasn't rushed things. This isn't to say that we will play next week like we did this week but I think it was a milestone game yesterday to see almost all players on the same page with respect to the instructions Bailey gave them.