• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Round 17 teams

Eth

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Done Bailey. Top final selection. Bate deserved to be dropped, Maric deserved his chance. 2nd rate performances should not and will not be tolerated. Bate will learn from this and come back a better player.

dumb dumb call bate is a good player who is important for our lineup he provides a strong target around the chf region, yes he was rubbish last week but he will do a better job than maric.

Yeah I agree. Perhaps he has been caryinbg an injury, but he does provide a target and seems to help organise the forwards so will be missed.

With Bate out You'd expect Jamar or PJ to spend more time in the forward line as a marking target that Jurrah can climb and Maric can crumb to if the midfield delivery has to be rushed (i.e. under intense Swan pressure)... Like it as it also frees Davie to pay more in the middle.

Edited by predman

i think they may use morton in a similar role to what bate has been playing. he has the tank to lead all day and outrun his opponent, is a good long kick and can take a mark. i think he will be a hard matchup because of his height and running ability.

dumb dumb call bate is a good player who is important for our lineup he provides a strong target around the chf region, yes he was rubbish last week but he will do a better job than maric.

I was one of Bate's only defenders earlier in the year, but he was shocking last week. I'm glad he was dropped and can't wait to see what Maric can bring to the table.

I was one of Bate's only defenders earlier in the year, but he was shocking last week. I'm glad he was dropped and can't wait to see what Maric can bring to the table.

Don't agree he was shocking.....he was in and around plenty of contests, more he didn't make enough of his opportunity's. Bit of pressure on Watts & Jurrah without Bate who, especially playing at the 'G, is good target to play through.

Got a feeling that come Sunday we will see Bate running out.....Moloney will miss and the late change will see Bate return. A bit of a rocket for him.

good good call bate is a good player who is important for our lineup he provides a strong target around the chf region, but he has been rubbish for the past few weeks and he won't do a better job than maric.

Edited for accuracy

I think with the need to develop a deeper understanding of the capabilities of a young list and with cuts to be made at the end of the year and several player on the return from injury, the club needed to get Addam on the big ground for a couple of weeks to see if he steps up. Given that any forward down on form and not in the "development" phase of their career is going to get dropped to Casey. Bate was the casualty this week, Miller, Morton have been previously.

Bate needs to develop another string to his bow or another level to his game or he may find he is more often on the cusp than he's been accustomed to.

Over next year we'd be looking to add Petterd, Tapscott, Fitzpatrick and Gawn to our emerging forward line and places will be a premium. Hope Bate can shake out the cobwebs in Casey and be back soon.

The Bate decision (to me) is a little similar to Warnock. Both reasonably established players who the club is not affraid to send a message to. I think that is quite refreshing and to be honest this is probably the first year under Bailey where he has been able to do this. A good message for both teh players in question as well as the younger squad. It also changes the mindset that we are not bound to certain players out of convention. A good opportunity for Maric.

Bate more than deserved to be dropped.

He has had numerous second chances this season after poor games.

Bate is definitely overrated to [censored] here at demonland. While he can be good sometimes, he doesn't do enough off the ball when thing's

aren't going well for him.

Please have a look at his chasing, blocking, second efforts, contested marking (hands in front), awareness and pace off the mark.

Too one dimensional for mine. Needs to work on all of these thing's and I think he has had it pretty easy since debuting.

The lack of quality big/tall forwards in our team since Neita left has many fooled it seems.

Well done MFC for making this decision.

P.S. This is not a player bashing post. It's an honest opinion and I do hope he can show some improvement in

these areas of his game.

Don't agree he was shocking.....he was in and around plenty of contests, more he didn't make enough of his opportunity's. Bit of pressure on Watts & Jurrah without Bate who, especially playing at the 'G, is good target to play through.

Got a feeling that come Sunday we will see Bate running out.....Moloney will miss and the late change will see Bate return. A bit of a rocket for him.

I agree with this. Bate does a power of work around the half forward line, and although he can sometimes seem sloppy and ineffective, it still requires a decent defender to shade him all day. I just don't see anyone on our team who will fill that void, so I too won't be surprised if he is in the team on Sunday, similar to the Lewis and Sewell rockets at Hawthorn.

He has shown nothing at a consistent level ... at Casey over the last 18 months that inspires any confidence

I've seen comments like this ... "shown nothing" ... before about players. They fly in the face of reality and it's not what the coaching staff say. Maric's reports from Casey have been excellent for quite a few weeks now. If he plays well consistently at Casey, he deserves to be considered for a call-up.

Yep. Was a good time for him to get dropped. The perfect time in fact, as Maric is probably more desperate for his chance.

I think people are neglecting to mention what this is really about. We can't make the finals, and Bailey is still in development mode. I think if we were desperate, or looking at a top 4 spot, Bate would be needed for structure. As it stands, Bailey is playing around with the 18 to see what he has in the cupboard.

I like it.

Well done Maric. He's the 39th player on our senior/rookie list to play AFL football this year. Is this more than any other club? I have a hunch he may not be the last. McNamara and Tapscott could also get a call-up if they can show good form at Casey.

As for Bate - He had an interrupted pre-season and has played most matches on the flank. He's currently 91kgs. I'd like to see him lose about 4-5kgs. I'm not saying he's fat, but losing a little muscle may improve his pace off the mark and reduce his turning circle. I reckon he's at his best when he runs hard and bursts into space. The average weight of AFL players is 87kg. I don't think Bate needs an extra 4-5kgs to play his best game. Another option is to play him in midfield where he spent some last year.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't take Moloney's place this Sunday.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

Bate more than deserved to be dropped.

He has had numerous second chances this season after poor games.

Bate is definitely overrated to [censored] here at demonland. While he can be good sometimes, he doesn't do enough off the ball when thing's

aren't going well for him.

Please have a look at his chasing, blocking, second efforts, contested marking (hands in front), awareness and pace off the mark.

Too one dimensional for mine. Needs to work on all of these thing's and I think he has had it pretty easy since debuting.

The lack of quality big/tall forwards in our team since Neita left has many fooled it seems.

Well done MFC for making this decision.

P.S. This is not a player bashing post. It's an honest opinion and I do hope he can show some improvement in

these areas of his game.

+1

I think people talk about Bate alot as the player they want him to be and not as the player he is.

Edited by agent 99

Dropping Bate just shows that this team is going forward. If your not playing well, you'll get a run in the 2's. The competition for spots will only progess our club greater and faster. I think this decision gives Jack Watts a tremendous confidence boost. Watts plays a simalar role to Bate and will have to do a lone hand this weekend. Hopfully we will see Maric and Bennell at the feet of Jurrah and picking up what ever he can't grab. I think Morton will go to Goodes, who did an amazing job on him last time. Jones to McVeigh. I reckon we will match up very well against the Swans. Clearance work is going to be key. If Moloney, McKenzie, Scully and Dunn can win their share against Bolton, Mcveigh and Kirk we could have another win against an interstate team. Can't Wait for Sunday!!

Ok I get that Bate wasnt great last week but does anyone remember his game against essendon 2 weeks ago. He was our foward who would run back and mark it then kick into our 50. I think Bate is a great lead up player and can kick goals. We have dropped a goal scorer. Its more pressure on our 2 youngsters Jurrah and Watts. Nothing against Addam but he better come out and actually touch the ball.

I would have liked to see Aussie come in to see him in our foward line with Jurrah crumbing off him now that Davey is up the ground.

Yeah i read that Brad Green had a finger injury. Hopefully its not one of those dodgy ones that keep you out. If there is no green then Bate will definitely have to come in.

Moloney sounds like he may miss. Will be a big loss.

I've seen comments like this ... "shown nothing" ... before about players. They fly in the face of reality and it's not what the coaching staff say. Maric's reports from Casey have been excellent for quite a few weeks now. If he plays well consistently at Casey, he deserves to be considered for a call-up.

Fly in the face of reality. Sorry Maurie but you have to be joking. If he had shown ANYTHING up until now he would have been a regular fixture in the team. He coldn't even crack a regular senior game when we were tanking / developing the last 2 years.

He played well last week. Missed the week before because he was emergency at MFC. Played ok the week before. Was terrible against Willi. Was ordinary before that. It wasn't as if he was BOG every week.

I agree he deserves to be CONSIDERED for a call up but be realistic.

As i said in my previous post, i hope he proves me wrong as it will be all the better long term for MFC but he has shown absolutely nothing to give me the confidence that he will. He has been on the list 3 years and hasn't had any serious injury. So if he hasn't been getting regular game time it's down to two things. Lack of ability or lack of mental application. I would say the latter is the case!

Yep. Was a good time for him to get dropped. The perfect time in fact, as Maric is probably more desperate for his chance.

I think people are neglecting to mention what this is really about. We can't make the finals, and Bailey is still in development mode. I think if we were desperate, or looking at a top 4 spot, Bate would be needed for structure. As it stands, Bailey is playing around with the 18 to see what he has in the cupboard.

I like it.

This is the astute point Dappa Dan.

Maric is playing for his future instead of just a list clogger. I know he has another year on his contract but if he doesn't show something now then he will be either trade bait or a Daniel Bell at Casey.

I am happy Maric is getting a chance. I want to see what he can do in a better team. Some players are simply better players when they are in the Senior team, and struggle more when they go down a level.

It is also very common for ex AFL players to struggle or not dominate when they go back to local leagues and so on. So even if Maric has not dominated, he may play better with the Demons.

On Bate, I think he needed a kick up the butt, and I am hoping he comes in late for Moloney, if he is injured, and he plays a great game. We need him in the team, no matter what people may say of his limitations. He works his buut off and is the link man we need.

Neither Watts or even more likely Jurrah have not set the world alight, but all 3 have reasons.

On a side note, due to the current AFL game style, our CHF's and link HFF now have to play as on ballers, which is another reason for people like Bate sometimes not being at his best when a contest comes his way. They are asked to go down to defense and help out, then sprint back to the forward line, and then do it again. If only we, and many other teams, would leave a couple of forwards up there permanently!!!