PRAISING PURPLE

Demonland

PRAISING PURPLE by Sam the Stats Man

Mark Harvey's Fremantle Dockers are having a fantastic season. They finished in the bottom four last year and currently hold a much coveted place in the top four. Were it not for a glitch last weekend when they sent a depleted side to battle it out against Richmond at the MCG, their hold on fourth spot would have been rock solid. They have otherwise shown an ability to hold their own against the best of them at home (against Geelong) and away where they recently scored a comfortable win at Etihad Stadium against the Blues.

Melbourne had also fought its way out of the bottom four but only just – and that thanks to a last start win against Essendon. The performance was exceptional and, although some might question as less than satisfactory, the fact that the Bombers were allowed to kick six of the last seven goals of the game, the Demons were clearly resting players for this week’s battle when they have to travel across the Nullarbor to take on the Dockers. Certainly, the hard working and much improved Mark Jamar would have relished the fact that he was able to rest his weary body while junk time was played out. He deserved it.

Fremantle will gain back some players this week which is just as well because they were starting to look vulnerable under the weight of the injuries they suffered, in particular the loss of midfielder Michael Barlow with a broken leg. The team certainly lacked a great deal of run against the Tigers and will need to do better in this area against the Demons.

It’s hard to believe that at their last meeting, the Dockers were comprehensively beaten by 63 points but that was at the MCG. This game is at Subiaco where Fremantle has won five in a row against their visitors and you have to go all the way back to 2004 when Peter Vardy kicked four goals and a young pimply faced Brock McLean was in his first season excelled in the wet to pump the Dockers.

Melbourne’s forward line looks improved with the inclusion of Liam Jurrah and Colin Sylvia and the Demons will be motivated by the need to show that they are capable of winning away from home (they did beat Port Adelaide in Darwin earlier in the year but that was neutral territory). The problem is that they had the same motivation (and more because they were still more than just a mathematical chance to make the finals then) when they played Adelaide at AAMI Stadium a few weeks back and were comprehensively spanked. Unfortunately, you can’t trust them to win over there and the statistics bear this out.

Fremantle by 33 points.

THE GAME Fremantle v Melbourne at the MCG - Sunday 18 July 2010 at 4:40pm (AEST)

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Fremantle 13 wins Melbourne 12 wins

At Subiaco Fremantle 7 wins Melbourne 3 wins

Since 2000 Fremantle 9 wins Melbourne 8 wins

The Coaches Harvey 1 win Bailey 2 wins

MEDIA

TV Fox Sports 1 live at 4.00 pm

RADIO ABC774 SEN 3AW

THE BETTING Fremantle to win $1.22 Melbourne to win $4.35

LAST TIME THEY MET Melbourne 20.7.127 defeated Fremantle 9.10.64 at the MCG Round 20, 2009

The Demons were on song and, after a reasonably even first half, they roared away and almost doubled the Dockers' score in the end. Producing another exciting display, Liam Jurrah booted four goals while Aaron Davey was best on ground. The victory was enough to put many supporters on edge for another fortnight before the priority draft pick issue was finally determined.

THE TEAMS

FREMANTLE

Backs Dylan Roberton Alex Silvagni Kepler Bradley

Half backs Matthew de Boer Luke McPharlin Roger Hayden

Centreline Garrick Ibbotson David Mundy Nathan Fyfe

Half forwards Jay van Berlo Matthew Pavlich Stephen Hill

Forwards Adam McPhee Michael Johnson Hayden Ballantyne

Followers Aaron Sandilands Ryan Crowley Paul Duffield

Interchange Greg Broughton Paul Hasleby Anthony Morabito Rhys Palmer

Emergencies Clancee Pearce Nick Suban Chris Tarrant

In Greg Broughton Nathan Fyfe Luke McPharlin

Out Clancee Pearce Tim Ruffles Clancee Pearce (all omitted)

MELBOURNE

Backs Colin Garland Jared Rivers Clint Bartram

Half backs Jordie McKenzie James Frawley Cameron Bruce

Centreline Jamie Bennell Nathan Jones Brad Green

Half forwards Lynden Dunn Jack Watts Tom Scully

Forwards Colin Sylvia Matthew Bate Liam Jurrah

Followers Mark Jamar Brent Moloney Aaron Davey

Interchange Rohan Bail Paul Johnson Joel Macdonald Cale Morton

Emergencies Kyle Cheney Addam Maric Matthew Warnock

In Rohan Bail Addam Maric Cale Morton Matthew Warnock

Out Kyle Cheney (omitted) Jack Trengove (hip)

Melbourne's season has spluttered since its three wins in a row in late April but last week's win over Essendon was a tonic. Here's my reveiw of how he team's gone so far this year.

BAIL, Rohan MFC – 3 games, 3 goals, Casey Seniors - 4 games, 3 goals. Was one the early surprise packets but injuries intervened to restrict him over the past two months. Has been among the best in his two return games at Casey.

BARTRAM, Clint MFC - 14 games 2 goals. Early on, he played some of his best football since his debut year but has been a little inconsistent of late.

BATE, Matthew MFC - 13 games 18 goals. Is having a reasonably good year after an interrupted pre season but needs to narrow the gap between his best and his worst.

BELL, Daniel Casey Seniors - 10 games 0 goals. The start to his season was hampered by a pre season AC injury and he has not been able to force his way into AFL ranks. His position at the club at the end of the year must be under question.

BENNELL, Jamie MFC - 13 games 11 goals, Casey Seniors 1 game 0 goals. Has shown some flashes of brilliance but also went through a flat patch that saw him play for Casey on an occasion.

BLEASE, Sam Casey Reserves - 5 games 3 goals. Making slow progress in the VFL reserves after suffering a few setbacks coming back from a bad foot injury.

BRUCE, Cameron MFC - 14 games 4 goals. Has been a steady performer throughout the season and is improving like a vintage wine. Seems to have recovered his goalkicking ability of late.

CHENEY, Kyle MFC - 2 games 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 10 games 0 goals. Has been solid in defence at Casey and recently pushed his way into AFL selection where has been steady without being outstanding.

DAVEY, Aaron MFC - 15 games 5 goals. Not as predominant as he was last year but has had his good games.

DUNN, Lynden MFC - 11 games 10 goals, Casey Seniors 2 games, 9 goals. Hot and cold so far this season but has shown improvement in his more recent games.

FITZPATRICK, Jack Casey Seniors 3 games 1 goal, Casey Reserves - 4 games 5 goals. Slowly overcoming his early injury woes and has been performing well in the seniors at Casey.

FRAWLEY, James MFC - 14 games 0 goals. Continues to grow in stature as a strong, fast young defender.

GARLAND, Colin MFC - 13 games 1 goal. Slowly coming back to his best after missing most of last year.

GAWN, Max Likely to return to football in the Casey Reserves for the first time since undergoing an ACL operation last year.

GREEN, Brad MFC - 15 games 36 goals. Has shown outstanding leadership and courage and is the team's top goal kicker.

GRIMES, Jack MFC - 14 games 0 goals. Outstanding season so far in defence.

GYSBERTS, Jordan MFC - 3 games 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 5 games 2 goals. Earned a Rising Star nomination after a spectacular start to his career. Now out with an injury.

HEALEY, Rhys Casey Seniors - 5 games 2 goals, Casey Reserves 1 game. 0 goals. Restricted by injuries again this year.

HUGHES, Daniel MFC - 2 games 2 goals, Casey Seniors - 6 games 5 goals. Had an impressive debut with the Demons after such a long wait. Sidelined with an ankle injury.

JAMAR, Mark MFC - 15 games 7 goals. Has grabbed the mantle of # 1 ruckman and has been touted as a possible contender for All Australian honours.

JETTA, Neville MFC - 6 games 6 goals. Casey Seniors - 6 games 2 goals. Was good in patches after spending the early part of the season at Casey but has returned there after a downturn in his form.

JOHNSON, Paul MFC - 3 games 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 8 games 6 goals. Relishing a return to the AFL after spending most of the first half of the season at Casey.

JONES, Nathan MFC - 15 games 4 goals. Has been tried in a variety of roles this season and has played in all games. Still capable of stepping up a bit more.

JURRAH, Liam MFC - 1 game 2 goals, Casey Reserves 2 games 3 goals. Added some excitement to the Demon forward line in a welcome return from the shoulder injury he incurred in a NAB Challenge game in Adelaide.

MACDONALD, Joel MFC - 11 games 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 4 games 3 goals. Has added variety to the defence along with some stability and looks likely to hold down a place there for the rest of the season.

MCDONALD, James MFC - 11 games 4 goals. The veteran skipper's vintage season has been interrupted by a hamstring injury.

MCKENZIE, Jordie MFC - 12 games 2 goals, Casey Seniors 2 games 0 goals. A revelation in his first full season. Should be first promotion off the rookie list at the end of the year.

McNAMARA, Tom Casey Seniors - 10 games 1 goal. Showing improvement at Casey but has the job ahead of him to break into the Demon defence.

MARIC, Addam Casey Seniors - 11 games 7 goals. Consistent performances at Casey have him pushing hard for AFL selection.

MARTIN, Stefan MFC - 2 games 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 4 games 7 goals, Casey Reserves 2 games 1 goal. Going through a disappointing season and is currently on the sidelines with a hip injury that has affected him for a while.

MEESEN, John Long term injury. Will find it hard to maintain a place on the list given his time away from playing the game.

MILLER, Brad MFC - 6 game 10 goals, Casey Seniors - 7 games 13 goals. Kicked 5 goals up in Darwin but has been up and down. Missed last week altogether with a back problem after a so-so display for Casey.

MOLONEY, Brent MFC - 15 games 2 goals. Continues to be a tower of strength in the engine room where he is providing great leadership for the youngsters in the midfield.

MORTON, Cale MFC 5 games 2 goals - Casey Seniors - 4 games 4 goals. Had some good games coming back from knee surgery but was surprisingly sent back to Casey for a couple of weeks.

NEWTON, Michael MFC - 2 games 1 goal, Casey Seniors - 7 games 12 goals. Was getting back into form at Casey when struck by a quad injury.

PETTERD, Ricky MFC - 6 games 12 goals. Added bite to the forward line early before damaging his shoulder and joining the list of players out with long term injuries.

RIVERS, Jared MFC - 11 games 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 1 game 0 goals. Had some injury woes early and has struggled to come back to his best but has had some improved showings of late.

SCULLY, Tom MFC - 14 games 4 goals. Great start to what should be a long and stellar career.

SPENCER, Jake MFC - 2 game 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 7 games 2 goals, Casey Reserves 1 game 1 goal. Played forward in the opening game of the season without much success. Was improving at Casey in the first ruck role and finally gained promotion to the AFL only to suffer a back injury.

STRAUSS, James MFC - 2 games 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 12 games 0 goals. Had a taste of AFL football and is promising. Now out with a hamstring injury.

SYLVIA, Colin MFC - 9 games 12 goals, Casey Seniors 1game 3 goals. Was going gangbusters in his first couple of games after his broken jaw but then discovered a problem with his toe that kept him out for over a month. Great game on his return last week.

TAPSCOTT, Luke Casey Seniors 1 game 0 goals, Casey Reserves 1 game 0 goals. Showing promise on return from a long term hip injury.

TRENGOVE, Jack MFC - 14 games 7 goals. Along with Scully, one of the club's shining young lights.

WARNOCK, Matthew MFC - 12 games 0 goals, Casey Seniors - 2 games, 0 goals. Very handy in defence this season and had some big scalps but went off the boil a little and was dropped to Casey where he dominated completely last week.

WATTS, Jack MFC - 8 game 6 goals, Casey Seniors - 5 games 7 goals. There's no doubt that he has the speed, the skills and the football nous and he's showing some exciting glimpses of the future in every game. Will only get better as he bulks up.

WONAEMIRRI, Austin MFC 2 games 2 goals, Casey Seniors - 7 games 7 goals, Casey Reserves - 2 games 4 goals Missed all of last year with knee and hamstring problems, the latter of which recurred during the pre season. Had a couple of games at top level but is still struggling to maintain consistency.

Still no Junior!!

If we were jockeying for a finals spot, then maybe he'd be risked.

But we're not, so there's no point rushing him.

Good decision.

If I recall, I posted in another thread that there will be a couple of interesting outs this week. Trengove has a "hip" injury, no Jnr (although as advertised on MFC website he would go close), while it isn't enough to solve the case, it is further evidence that I am gathering to prove we have certain games on our fixture that we are throwing everything at to win, and there are games that wont matter as much. We WILL NOT beat Freo this week, we WILL beat Sydney next week.

Building a winning culture has nothing to do with it. You ask every player on our list, they know what it feels like to win, they know we will win a lot more games next year, and they know that in 2012-2018 there will be a great winning culture at the Club. What culture we build from the remaining results of the 2010 season mean jack shite to this playing group. Even Brad Green has come out and said we want to gain respect. Losing to the Dockers by 3-5 goals this week will earn us respect, winning another 2 or 3 by the end of the year will earn us more respect.

I must be the only MFC supporter that sees it this way!!!

Edited by billy2803

The Trengove "out" will be a one week injury. Don't be surprised if we see a Scully "general soreness" injury within the next 2 weeks (most likely the Brisbane game).

Better not be, taking my son up to watch the game and he's his favourite player

Better not be, taking my son up to watch the game and he's his favourite player

I'll be there too (Qld'er here!), and love seeing Tom running around, but we play Richmond the week after and I think he will miss the Lions match to give him a week off, making him firing for the last 4 games.

Don't tell you're son though, cos I could be totally wrong!

Didnt see the Trengove ommission coming and so it makes the others inclusion quite interesting. Am a little surprised ( and yet ) not that much with Juniors non inclusion after his naming for a return. Bail deserves his recall and am curious as to who will actually takek to the fileld Sunday. I doubt it Tarrant will actually line up as I m inclined to think theyd rest him another week much like us and Junior. Whilst I dont think for a moment the dockers will take us for granted or too likely they ought to win at home and might want Tarant fresher for next week against the Doggies. Still ..are just my thoughts.

MELBOURNE

Interchange (from) Rohan Bail Addam Maric Matthew Warnock Cale Morton

In: Rohan Bail Cale Morton Matthew Warnock Adam Maric

Out: Jack Trengove (hip), Kyle Cheney Paul Johnson Joel Macdonald

Bail deserves a spot more than most, Morton is the future and Subi is big, suiting his long accurate kicking and general floating around. Warnock needs a chance to prove he isn't a one trick pony. Maric, well apparently he's a gun, at least so I thought myself, so let's play him and see what he's made of.

As for Cheney, Johnson and Macdonald. Let's face it none are premiership players and that's what we're chasing.

From the bench, I think Bail, Johnson, Morton and Macdonald will play. We need Johnson to support Jamar against Sandilands, while Bail and Morton add run on Subiaco's expanses. We don't need as many mid-sized defenders against Freo and Macdonald can play taller than Cheney, so he gets a gig.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Warnock gets a run instead of Macdonald or Morton, depending on the FD's thinking. Freo is a much taller side than Essendon and I have my doubts on Garland and Rivers' ability to play on Michael Johnson if he plays deep forward.

Edited by MikeyJ

MELBOURNE

Bail deserves a spot more than most, Morton is the future and Subi is big, suiting his long accurate kicking and general floating around. Warnock needs a chance to prove he isn't a one trick pony. Maric, well apparently he's a gun, at least so I thought myself, so let's play him and see what he's made of.

As for Cheney, Johnson and Macdonald. Let's face it none are premiership players and that's what we're chasing.

MELBOURNE

Very harsh site toward Cheney this one. Saw his first game back against the Saints, did very well on Goddard, didn't have a lot of it but was a close-checker against the Dons. Not the flashiest footballer going around, doesn't have the skills as some of the other blokes, but I tell you what, I'd have him on the frontline any day.

If I recall, I posted in another thread that there will be a couple of interesting outs this week. Trengove has a "hip" injury, no Jnr (although as advertised on MFC website he would go close), while it isn't enough to solve the case, it is further evidence that I am gathering to prove we have certain games on our fixture that we are throwing everything at to win, and there are games that wont matter as much. We WILL NOT beat Freo this week, we WILL beat Sydney next week.

Building a winning culture has nothing to do with it. You ask every player on our list, they know what it feels like to win, they know we will win a lot more games next year, and they know that in 2012-2018 there will be a great winning culture at the Club. What culture we build from the remaining results of the 2010 season mean jack shite to this playing group. Even Brad Green has come out and said we want to gain respect. Losing to the Dockers by 3-5 goals this week will earn us respect, winning another 2 or 3 by the end of the year will earn us more respect.

I must be the only MFC supporter that sees it this way!!!

iiii

Yeah I agree with you and think you probably correct, but still wondering what happened in the West Coast game...guess it doesn't always go to plan. I sure hope we don't dish up the same [censored] to Sydney.

I wonder how long Trenners will be out? Between him being injured, Cloke getting suspended and Porplyzia getting dropped my supercoach side has taken a hit

Yeah, well I traded Trengove for Goddard last week and I'm not silly enough to have Porplyzia :P

The loss of Trengove hurts. In fact I don't think we'll win anymore

Cale is from WA. It's amazing how many players get selected because they are playing their old club or back in their home state etc. Look at our Darwin game.....

(altho Brock got dropped for the game against the Dees:( )

Bail deserves his chance surely???

I didn't notice Bennel doing much last week. I think he should be omitted. Who to would replace him, I'm not so sure

Bennel is a good player, i like that hes been named on the wing becasue he is quick and has good clean skills. He generally does well when the ball comes to him

I cant really complain about the selected team, and Freo without Barlow are basically the Freo of old! Barlow was the player who actually took advantage of Sandilands taps, without him they come back to the pack i reckon!

I'll be there chearing for the red and blue at Subi!

Have no issues resting Trengove. Better to give him a week off if he's a bit sore, than watch him go down a path of injuries (his "hip" better just be another way of saying "general soreness", and not another bloody long-term injury to a young star). Playing 19-20 games in his debut season is more than enough and a very good result for him and the team.

Hoping like hell that final bench is Bail, Morton, Warnock and Maric, although I'm not fussed about Maric.