Well i am not Happy about this.....

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
NOT HAPPY JAN.

It seems reasonable to me. It is the FOOTBALL hall of fame not the Good bloke award. Carey is one of the greatest footballers the game has produced and on that alone he should be judged.

It seems reasonable to me. It is the FOOTBALL hall of fame not the Good bloke award. Carey is one of the greatest footballers the game has produced and on that alone he should be judged.

Agreed.

Agreed.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Obviously a pretty ordinary bloke (understatement).

Best player I've seen though. IMO better than Ablett.

I welcome him in.

How many others in there king hit players and prob did the same things Carey did but without the media scrutiny that is around now.

Got my seal of approval. Congrats to Wayne Carey on his footy career

I agree that Carey deserves it. Is download spiral started after footy as it took away the stable thing in his life. Depending on the media reports you believe he's getting help and getting himself back on track.

He was amazing to watch when playing and as a true champion could win a game by himself through pure determination.

Carey deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. One of the best to ever pull on a football boot.

I can't stand some of the political correctness hyperbole grand standing that goes on re: "role models"

Judge the player for what he has done on the field. Stuff the off-field carp. Especially in relation to Hall of Fame status.

So, what...you can't get to the Hall of Fame because you have had too many parking tickets??

Where do you draw the line?? He's a [censored] but it's about football. Nothing else.

i agree he should be in, but the HOF is all over the shop.

on of our great players deserves to be in there.

G Lyon

200+ games

400+ goals

captain, B&F winner,

5 time All Aus

9 time Victoria Rep inc. Vice captain and Captain

Coached his country for 4 years.

Crazy that he is not in.

I think it's hard to apply a character test but I think it's naive to exclude a player's off-field behaviour - what if they're a convicted criminal?

I think it's hard to apply a character test but I think it's naive to exclude a player's off-field behaviour - what if they're a convicted criminal?

Agree.

Ablett and Carey may have had their rough times but they have not been convicted of serious offences.

Now what would you do if Carl Williams had been a star for Collingwood of the stature of Buckley, would you exclude him from the Hall of Fame? I would.

If Carey or any great footballer had been convicted of serious crime or really nasty criminal behaviour then I dont think they should be included in the Hall of Fame.

i agree he should be in, but the HOF is all over the shop.

on of our great players deserves to be in there.

G Lyon

200+ games

400+ goals

captain, B&F winner,

5 time All Aus

9 time Victoria Rep inc. Vice captain and Captain

Coached his country for 4 years.

Crazy that he is not in.

I think there is a limit on how many can be inducted each year. Gary will probably get in eventually. The older we get the better he was....

I think there is a limit on how many can be inducted each year. Gary will probably get in eventually. The older we get the better he was....

Agree. There is still a long list of AFL footballers ahead of him wating for the gong!

are you a female?

No, i just don't believe Carey should be given any acolades that's all. Watch the interview he does with Denton-if you know anything about body language Carey is showing all the signs throughout that interview. I don't believe one word he says.

I am in the minority around here Fair enough, but Carey deserves no awards in my Book.

Agree.

Ablett and Carey may have had their rough times but they have not been convicted of serious offences.

Now what would you do if Carl Williams had been a star for Collingwood of the stature of Buckley, would you exclude him from the Hall of Fame? I would.

If Carey or any great footballer had been convicted of serious crime or really nasty criminal behaviour then I dont think they should be included in the Hall of Fame.

I disagree totally with this thinking. It's illogical.

The criminal law and justice system is there to deal with criminal matters. The Hall of Fame is there to deal with accomplishments on the footy field. Nothing more, nothing less. If we start moralising, where does it end? To put it in the alternative, if we don't let in someone we disagree with morally, do we therefore view the Hall fo Fame as having representing moral footballers? That's great!

And gee we are quick as a society to point to people without looking in our own backyard and thinking about the way we actually act when confronted with similar situations in our own life (not referring to you specifically of course). Arguably, if Wayne Carey is omitted, it should be because of his off-field horizontal activity, given that that activity was football related and devastated his club.

I disagree totally with this thinking. It's illogical.

The criminal law and justice system is there to deal with criminal matters. The Hall of Fame is there to deal with accomplishments on the footy field. Nothing more, nothing less. If we start moralising, where does it end? To put it in the alternative, if we don't let in someone we disagree with morally, do we therefore view the Hall fo Fame as having representing moral footballers? That's great!

And gee we are quick as a society to point to people without looking in our own backyard and thinking about the way we actually act when confronted with similar situations in our own life (not referring to you specifically of course). Arguably, if Wayne Carey is omitted, it should be because of his off-field horizontal activity, given that that activity was football related and devastated his club.

I am not sure the Hall of Fame would be something the AFL or supporters would be proud of if one of its members is a pedophile, murderer, rapist or wife beater. As for my own backyard I can assure you none of these off field activities are present. I will continue to judge those criminal activities adversely.

And your argument goes up in flames when you single out Carey on the basis that you did.

If OJ Simpson was an AFL player would you put him, or keep him, in the Hall of Fame? (I'd put him in the Hall of Infamy.)

Things can be given and things can be taken away. Like Melbourne Storm premierships.

I am not sure the Hall of Fame would be something the AFL or supporters would be proud of if one of its members is a pedophile, murderer, rapist or wife beater.

How about a thief, public drunk or a single assault? Or a drug addict? Or a litterer?

Where's the line?

The point is, it's not for us, or the AFL, to be moral arbiters.

And we are not proud of players in the HOF because of their off-field conduct anyway. We are proud of them for the on-field prowess.

My point about Carey is that we talk about his criminal activity and draw a nexus between that and the HOF, but not his actions that actually devastated a football club. Hypocritical methinks.

How about a thief, public drunk or a single assault? Or a drug addict? Or a litterer?

Where's the line?

The point is, it's not for us, or the AFL, to be moral arbiters.

And we are not proud of players in the HOF because of their off-field conduct anyway. We are proud of them for the on-field prowess.

My point about Carey is that we talk about his criminal activity and draw a nexus between that and the HOF, but not his actions that actually devastated a football club. Hypocritical methinks.

THe Hall of Fame is very much the ownership of the AFL and it has every right to make judgements. Because the judgement is difficult does not mean it should not be undertaken.

I think all his behaviour can be considered not certain behaviours. And when he departed North he was finished as a footballer after the years of battering. It was a great media circus for a storm in a teacup. The Hun did devote 26 front pages to it at the time. Its knows its priorities.

Nothing hypocritical just you trying to paint an AFL post career recogition as something that it is not.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

If OJ Simpson was an AFL player would you put him, or keep him, in the Hall of Fame? (I'd put him in the Hall of Infamy.)

I would for two reasons 1/ On pure ability and 2/ He was found innocent anyway.

Seriously I wouldn't care if the found out Hudson was a serial killer I'd still say he deserved his spot.