• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts

2014-Flag

You raise some excellent points. Jack probably will kick more goals because he'll spend most of his time in the forward line, but as I see it ATM, you need to get the ball down there. Seriously, West Coast's forward line was full of second stringers yesterday, I only rate Le Cras (if he had kicked straight, it was game over at half time) yet Naitanui gets his own clearances that allow scoring opportunities.

I still contend that this debate will not be answered on this forum, but played out over the season.

I still say this habit of NicNat's of getting his own clearances after the ruck contest is a bad thing. Firstly, it means that he has failed to find a target with the hitout. Secondly, it is symptomatic of his "see the ball, chase the ball" approach to the game. It looks great when he's crashing through opponents to chase the ball, but it's not something that he should be doing. Far better to get a quick effective disposal to one of his midfielders and use his pace to sprint forward and make an option in the 50. Hopefully this will come in time, but his hands will need to get a lot cleaner.

As for his 2 clearances for 2 score assists, JW had 2 contested marks for 2 scoring assists. Which do you rate more highly?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look, I have nothing against people criticising Jack for what's there (example: "he's got a strange kicking action off his left foot - will it stand up under pressure?"). But I reserve the right to call those who try to pass off what's in their imagination as holy writ when it's beyond ridiculous. For some reason that I can't fathom, Jack seems to attract these bizarre pronouncements about his psyche in a way that no other player does in living memory. It's the difference between "even when he calls for the ball, he looks uncertain" (which is what can actually be seen, and which I can disagree with but it's a reasonable comment) and "he doesn't want the ball enough" (which says much more about the poster's psyche than it does about Jack's).

Good post. Not limited to Jack Watts either, the projection of what's going on inside the heads of the team/players/coaches is just mind-boggling at times.

For mine, thought he looked very good for first up in a team that got belted. Not a lot of result for his efforts, and in truth, not even all that many efforts, but you can see what all the fuss is about.

As an aside, up the other end, WCE had their own "Jack Watts" in Kennedy. Drafted no. 4 in 2005 and now, 5 years later becoming the focus of their forward line and a "star". Yes, it can take that long.

As an aside, up the other end, WCE had their own "Jack Watts" in Kennedy. Drafted no. 4 in 2005 and now, 5 years later becoming the focus of their forward line and a "star". Yes, it can take that long.

Very good point..Josh Kennedy took a few seasons to kick into gear. As tall forwards do.

It's just the Media love instant "add water" champions. Did anybody hear Mark Robinson on saturday morning??? Sounded drunk as to me, the bloke can hardly speak!!!!

Very good point..Josh Kennedy took a few seasons to kick into gear. As tall forwards do.

It's just the Media love instant "add water" champions. Did anybody hear Mark Robinson on saturday morning??? Sounded drunk as to me, the bloke can hardly speak!!!!

No, but I noticed he wrote another article on Essendon's Dustin Fletcher yesterday. :P

can anyone please confirm how jack watts did in his 20m sprints at draft camp? he just did not appear to have a second gear in terms of speed but I do recall him being one of the quickest at draft camp. Maybe the extra size has slowed him or its just maybe a case of asthetically looking not that fast when he actually is.

can anyone please confirm how jack watts did in his 20m sprints at draft camp? he just did not appear to have a second gear in terms of speed but I do recall him being one of the quickest at draft camp. Maybe the extra size has slowed him or its just maybe a case of asthetically looking not that fast when he actually is.

I was thinking about this and wondering if the test was done on a basketball court with sneakers, or on grass with boots.

2.82 seconds - second fastest from that draft.

There was a moment in the 1st qtr where he really closed down a WC player (can't remember who) and caused a turnover, closing speed then was great.

Lyon was saying on MMM though that his problem is that he doesn't change his pace a lot, so makes him look a little slower than he actually is, said if he altered the pace of his leads i.e. quick, slow, quick again - those contested marks he took would have been uncontested - which he said is how Roo gets so many uncontested marks on the lead

It was interesting observing the Non battle beween Jack Watts and Nic Natanui at the MCG on Saturday.On one hand Nic Natanui a bigger,stronger,more experienced player from my observation took 2 spectacular marks and got some tap outs but apart from that did absolutely f@#K all.The way the media,especially Bruce McAvaney bangs on about him youd reckon he had the Brownlow sewn up about 3 weeks ago.

On the other hand Jack Watts took a couple of strong contested marks, showed a lot of poise and is a very good kick with both feet.Although he also didn't get a ton of the footy ,I thought he outshone Nic Nat and is the much better option IMO.

Yes,Nic Nat is an outstanding athlete,however Jack Watts is also a good athlete and has class footballer written all over him.

Jack Watts > Nic Natanui.Good choice MFC recruiting department.!

Pity he dropped that mark in the last quarter because that will give the pundits something to harp on.

On the contrary it was carp pass which was not placed to his advantage on a 1 on 1. It was kicked over his head.

Very poor disposal and a forward deserves better opportunities. The passer was tied between having a ping or passing and ended up making a confused lousy ping for goal

Just read the one of many news articles about Watts, he had to work his butt off on Saturday and was stuffed. The first thing that goes when you are stuffed is your speed. He would of wasted a lot of energy by running to spots when he didn't need to and will learn from this. It is important for him to play at this level for at least 10 games this year, would love to see him play every game but would be happy with 10.

On the contrary it was carp pass which was not placed to his advantage on a 1 on 1. It was kicked over his head.

Very poor disposal and a forward deserves better opportunities. The passer was tied between having a ping or passing and ended up making a confused lousy ping for goal

My word it was. He wasn't happy about it either, glancing at the teammate getting up.

Interesting article from lethal:

Watts pick could still pay off

Bit of a turnaround for him?

That was a nothing article.

"Watts is unlikely to shine as a key forward in the immediate future, yet he now looks like he can cope with senior footy, and should be persevered with to learn on the job."

Ground-breaking stuff there from Matthews.

That was a nothing article.

"Watts is unlikely to shine as a key forward in the immediate future, yet he now looks like he can cope with senior footy, and should be persevered with to learn on the job."

Ground-breaking stuff there from Matthews.

The interesting part was the obvious about-face from LM.

I have a feeling this will be trend from all the doubters over time. Can't recall if you are one or not?

When Dean Cox arrived at WC several years ago there's a story going around that he couldn't even bounce the ball. Five years later, he was favourite for the Brownlow. Nat will learn his craft. Cox and Nic Nat gave it to Jamar yesterday and in the last quarter when the game was there to be won (or lost) in our case, Nic Nat went into the ruck, got 2 clearances that resulted in 2 goals - game over. What I've been trying to say all along is that, IMO, he was a standout for 1st pick, just as Scully and Trengove picked themselves. I'd like to open this debate again at the end of the year and hopefully eat some humble pie, but we can't get away from the fact of what could have been.

Tic Tak gave nothing to Jamar on Saturday !!

Edited by Steamin Demon

Don't tell me, NOT ONCE! did some of you bemoan the fact the WE didn't pick him 1st.

I did.

Hand on heart - not even close. Naitanui is the most overrated "footballer" I've ever seen.