Cameron Bruce

the pearl

It must be time for the coaching staff to reassess Bruce's role in the team game plan.

When he showed his best form, it was probably when the Demons were peaking under Daniher. Bruce was calm, well balanced, creative and a pretty good finisher most of the time. He was ( and potentially still is ) a great defensive player. Bruce could accurately pass by hand or foot to runners, like Walsh, Whelan, etc who would cut through the lines and set up great attacking moves. He could come up with a couple of match-turning goals in bursts.

His decline in form has occurred, funnily enough, with the decline in the team's form.

Bruce passes to stationary targets. Turnover. His misses targets, sometimes because the targets are not moving quickly enough. He misses critical goals.

He must play deep in the forward line where the options when he gets possession are simpler.

Kick the goal! Handball to the crumber who kicks the goal! Tackle the defender and get possession of the ball again!

It must be time for the coaching staff to reassess Bruce's role in the team game plan.

When he showed his best form, it was probably when the Demons were peaking under Daniher. Bruce was calm, well balanced, creative and a pretty good finisher most of the time. He was ( and potentially still is ) a great defensive player. Bruce could accurately pass by hand or foot to runners, like Walsh, Whelan, etc who would cut through the lines and set up great attacking moves. He could come up with a couple of match-turning goals in bursts.

His decline in form has occurred, funnily enough, with the decline in the team's form.

Bruce passes to stationary targets. Turnover. His misses targets, sometimes because the targets are not moving quickly enough. He misses critical goals.

He must play deep in the forward line where the options when he gets possession are simpler.

Kick the goal! Handball to the crumber who kicks the goal! Tackle the defender and get possession of the ball again!

Don't agree. I think he is most effective as a run with stopper who is quick on the counter attack. That is where he plays his best football where he can use his great skills as well as exploit his big engine. And that was where he was quietly effective on Saturday.

Guest watts04

Going a bit early on Bruce I reckon like people used to get on Greens back. I think he can do more but if we are looking for him to dominate matches like when he would get 30 and kick 2 then we are going down the wrong path....

He has valuable experience, versatility and will be played out of position to let Scully, Trenners etc take responsibility of key areas.......

Theres no doubt he and Green could play in the midfield permanently and rack up 20 - 30 possies each week but what does that achieve? Little

More benefit him playing a tagging role or on a good player and letting others learn and attack

Going a bit early on Bruce I reckon like people used to get on Greens back. I think he can do more but if we are looking for him to dominate matches like when he would get 30 and kick 2 then we are going down the wrong path....

Bruce's form has been under critical attack for a long time.

Dominating games is exactly what we need from him.

I think he is a consistent player who wracks up the possies and occasionaly disadvantages us by poor decision making. If we are 'on' like yesterday, they can become a little more obvious.

Not knocking the bloke- we would be even in even more dire without him. Can sometimes 'sell us up the river' however. Catch 22. Whatdya do? Go Demons

Bruce looks either unfit( through the lack of match fitness) or the game has gone past him.We needed him last Saturday and he was the most senior player outside Jmac and just made mistake after mistake. If he played another two like this one would not be surprised if he got dropped.

Bruce is the most overrated footballer to have been at the MFC in the 20 years I've been supporting them. He has a great football brain, but his skills have never been good, and he is a "gimmie" type player that is NEVER in and under.

Bruce IMO is the last remaining senior player in the team, who hasn't been able to adapt his own game to suit Bailey's game plan.

And it's disappointing that he is seemingly being let off the hook so easily by the match committee.

Bruce is the most overrated footballer to have been at the MFC in the 20 years I've been supporting them. He has a great football brain, but his skills have never been good, and he is a "gimmie" type player that is NEVER in and under.

Bit harsh here - I can think of several others. Bruce has never been an in and under, it's not his game. Having said that, clubs need players that can have the ball fed out to them, like Bruce. I think his confidence is down atm - he has a serious role to play at this club. I think he'll get better.

Bit harsh here - I can think of several others. Bruce has never been an in and under, it's not his game. Having said that, clubs need players that can have the ball fed out to them, like Bruce. I think his confidence is down atm - he has a serious role to play at this club. I think he'll get better.

If your not an in and under you better be able to dispose of the football. Bruce isnt great in this area... his time is almost up for mine.

In YOUR opinion! I would rather respect the opinion of his coaches and the selection committee. They have played the game at the highest level and I'm damn sure you haven't. Get off his back and stop blaming him for every Melbourne loss. Is there anyone else on our list with such an imposing record over a decade?

In YOUR opinion! I would rather respect the opinion of his coaches and the selection committee. They have played the game at the highest level and I'm damn sure you haven't. Get off his back and stop blaming him for every Melbourne loss. Is there anyone else on our list with such an imposing record over a decade?

Totally agree bobby apart from his peers opposition coaches have rated him highly especially in the last 2 years we have been on the bruce bash, as for yesterday he was on john anthony correct me if i am wrong but he was kept to 2 goals and 6 touches.

As for being fit i doubt it very much as he had a limited pre season, for me i would prefer to see cam playing more up forward

anyway let the opposition bag our players and we keep improving as a team

Thanks for adding worth to my post that he is overrated. You pretty much confirmed MY OPINION.

Actually after viewing the replay I have changed my opinion on Bruce's game. I actually think he played exceedingly well in an unfamiliar role against taller and stronger opponents .

He obviously made 1 or 2 glaring handling errors , but on the whole he was tight , composed , and put his body on the line on a number of occasions when required

will be played out of position to let Scully, Trenners etc take responsibility of key areas.......

It should be the other way around. An experience player should be playing in key areas and letting the kids learn the ropes from the flanks.

IMO he is providing none of that experience down back with his put your teammate under pressure handballs. Push him forward and a Green, Bruce, Petterd, Bate, Sylvia combo could squeeze a winning score.

Thanks for adding worth to my post that he is overrated. You pretty much confirmed MY OPINION.

Can't see how I have confirmed that Bruce is over rated????? Please explain if you can!!! Notice you didn't answer my question either. Maybe your lack of a reply confirms MY opinion and that of the club.

Actually after viewing the replay I have changed my opinion on Bruce's game. I actually think he played exceedingly well in an unfamiliar role against taller and stronger opponents .

He obviously made 1 or 2 glaring handling errors , but on the whole he was tight , composed , and put his body on the line on a number of occasions when required

Well said 'Joeboy'. I hope a few others will have a look at the replay too. He does so much hard work behind the scenes plugging up holes and covering a huge amount of territory. His work rate is high every week.

Bruce's form has been under critical attack for a long time.

Dominating games is exactly what we need from him.

Then I think you're going to be a little disappointed. He doesn't have it in him any more, IMO. But to say he was bad yesterday would be a bit harsh. He was responsible for one turnover that cost us a goal yesterday, but made up for it by being involved in 6 entries into the forward line and another two which resulted in goals, so his net impact on the score-line was, in my opinion, positive. In short, he helped us more than he hindered us in our efforts to beat Collingwood yesterday.

Experienced, durable, fit, mature bodied - We need him

We have noone better at this point in time, he sometimes makes bad decisions - Deal with it

Another catch 22 in an ever evolving team. In saying this I would like to clarify I appreciate Cameron Bruce and think he more than deserves his spot. Better is coming though so lets find solace in that and in the mean time support this workhorse who busts his gut for the MFC.

Wish he didn't create so many turnovers with his handpasses though...

---------------------

Has all the hallmarks of a player well down on confidence.

I would like to see Bruce playing one of two roles this year. Either:

1) Medium sized defender to play on a dangerous mid-sized opposition forward (eg. Brett Burton) - Bruce is quite a good one-on-one shut down player and has the experience, mobility and height to play on such forwards.

2) Defensive half forward to play on a dangerous attacking half back - I think this role is very important in modern footy. Teams get a lot of drive from their half back line and the ability to restrict the run from defence is important. Bruce also has the ability to be a dangerous forward and this will make sure his opponent has to be accountable and can't just run off him all day.

Bruce is a very poor handballer IMO and I don't think he's the best field kick either. He does make a lot of mistakes with his ball use and this has cost us goals in both games. I think the role of major ballwinner / rebounding half back is better occupied by others these days who use the ball better and make better decisions. But this doesn't mean Bruce doesn't have a role in the team, as I think he'd be particularly useful as either a defensive half forward or a shut down defender. My only concern with him forward would be pace issues but otherwise he could perform the role well.

Edited by Scoop Junior

Bruce is in only as long as he can hold down his spot...

I think he still can offer us the experience that is so important to the team at this stage.

I must say I think with the limited preseason I think the days of being a run with player are gone.

Playing up forward he has always provided a good option. I would like to see us try it if things arent working..