Blockbuster

fishardansin

Hi guys & gals,

I am the father of that 10 year old who kicked the goal at the forum match. Not that that is totally relevant but just thought I'd introduce myself!!!

Anyhow I am an Essendon supporter and we are blessed with a few blockbusters every year. Of course ANZAC day being the most recognisable of all. You guys have a good one with Queens B'day.

As an avowed secularist and footy fan it irks me no end that there is no footy on Good Friday. For goodness sake it is always in footy season and as it is a holiday everyone would love a game that day.

How about St Kilda vs Melbourne. Yes that is right Saints vs Demons!!

Both clubs could do with a regular blockbuster, I'm pretty sure that the Saints don't have one at all. It is a good money spinner as people can plan all year to go. It would rate very well on TV too. If it was the only game on that day I'm sure you could get over 70k at the G.

What do you think?

Hi guys & gals,

I am the father of that 10 year old who kicked the goal at the forum match. Not that that is totally relevant but just thought I'd introduce myself!!!

Anyhow I am an Essendon supporter and we are blessed with a few blockbusters every year. Of course ANZAC day being the most recognisable of all. You guys have a good one with Queens B'day.

As an avowed secularist and footy fan it irks me no end that there is no footy on Good Friday. For goodness sake it is always in footy season and as it is a holiday everyone would love a game that day.

Both clubs could do with a regular blockbuster, I'm pretty sure that the Saints don't have one at all. It is a good money spinner as people can plan all year to go. It would rate very well on TV too. If it was the only game on that day I'm sure you could get over 70k at the G.

What do you think?

I Bought this up Last year. We really should put this one to Cam Schwab This is "our Brand"

Demons v Saints Twilight Good Friday. This Day Belongs to these 2 Clubs...Nice one Fish

As an atheist it irks me to say this, but having the 'Demons' play on Good Friday would be a bad move in terms of branding. Personally I would love to see it, but 1) i doubt there would be a huge crowd and 2) George Pell or Tony Abbott or someone would kick up a huge fuss about "DON'T RUIN OUR SPECIAL DAY, AAAAHHHHH POOR US WE'RE SO MALIGNED" etc etc ad nauseum. Unfortunate, but an all-too-obvious part of our "secular" society.

That said, give it a few years.

I'd be down like Charlie Brown. It seems silly to me that sport should be affected by just one of the many religions to the exclusion of all others. Either never play footy on a holy day of any kind (infeasible) or just admit that sport should stay separate from religion and politics and thus play on Good Friday.

I think the idea of having a special Saints vs Demons game would be great, but I just hope that the two playing on Good Friday would be seen in a positive, not negative (how dare they make light of the afterlife) light.

I Bought this up Last year. We really should put this one to Cam Schwab This is "our Brand"

Demons v Saints Twilight Good Friday. This Day Belongs to these 2 Clubs...Nice one Fish

Totally agree- SMART suggestion and totaly fittng. :wub:

Hi guys & gals,

What do you think?

Great idea.

And before George Pell and his mob start revving up the crowd, perhaps they should visit Rome on Good Friday!!!

Yes... the shops are open, the bars are running hot, you wouldn't know it to be any different from any other day of the week.

It's an opportunity to be grabbed before Eddie decides it belongs to them exclusively.

A fun idea, but I can't see it happening.

You really can't go from not playing on Good Friday one year, and the next trivializing it's significance with a HEAVEN V HELL SHOWDOWN! It's still an important day for many people.

Eventually, football will be played on Good Friday, but it won't be like that.

Appreciate the idea....but does anyone else get a little tired of the "traditional" games?

The fixture is less and less a draw and more a few odds and ends games built around the same teams playing the same time of year.

Eg: Carl v Rich opening the season, dream time at the G etc

Maybe I am just a sook.

Great idea but i can't see the AFL awarding another "blockbuster" too us we have one already that the AFL have threatened to take off us its all about ratings and crowd numbers and unforunately we don't cut it (yet) Geelong, Hawthorn and more recently Bulldogs and Saints have probably earned that right lately and from memory don;t have any "special blockbusters" games on there annual fixture.

However love the idea and i am all for it!

A fun idea, but I can't see it happening.

You really can't go from not playing on Good Friday one year, and the next trivializing it's significance with a HEAVEN V HELL SHOWDOWN! It's still an important day for many people.

Ha. I was thinking more like: (in that McAvaney lispy, friuty sounding voice)

"Welcome everyone tonight for this the 1st ever good friday night Afl match, for a battle thats been dubbed- GOOD vs EVIL! Tonight the Dees take on the Saints..."

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any reason footy shouldn't be played on Good Friday but it's fine for Easter Sunday?

Mum said the same thing to me last year.. and coming from an irish-catholic background I can assure you Easter Sunday is much more significant. It doesnt make sense.

He supposedly rose from the freakin dead on the Sunday!! Beat that! demon_laugh.gif

He only died on the Friday.. and everyone dies.

Spot on, "Fishardansin."

I have made the same suggestion before on this forum, but Demonlanders are either too apathetic, or perhaps, paradoxically, too religiously obsessed, to see the logic in your suggestion.

Before long, there WILL be footy on Good Friday night(ARL dominates this now, and we must compete ). Let's get in there before Collingwood or Essendon pinch it.

Versus the Saints! It's so logical!!! Go for it in 2011!!!!

As an atheist it irks me to say this, but having the 'Demons' play on Good Friday would be a bad move in terms of branding. Personally I would love to see it, but 1) i doubt there would be a huge crowd and 2) George Pell or Tony Abbott or someone would kick up a huge fuss about "DON'T RUIN OUR SPECIAL DAY, AAAAHHHHH POOR US WE'RE SO MALIGNED" etc etc ad nauseum. Unfortunate, but an all-too-obvious part of our "secular" society.

People need to stop worrying about idiots like those two. Their complaining will only help promote the game. The AFL could easily fire back and ask where are those two buffoons when the AFL plays during Ramadan. I have no preference for Islam but living in Brunswick I appreciate followers of that superstition for making kebabs on Good Friday.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any reason footy shouldn't be played on Good Friday but it's fine for Easter Sunday?

Christians prefer the torture and violence dished out to the son of their god then the resurrection of him.

Appreciate the idea....but does anyone else get a little tired of the "traditional" games?

The fixture is less and less a draw and more a few odds and ends games built around the same teams playing the same time of year.

Eg: Carl v Rich opening the season, dream time at the G etc

Maybe I am just a sook.

ANZAC day and Dreamtime at the G are awesome for most Essendon supporters. Seeing ANZAC is a Collingwood home game this year all Essendon supporters bought their tickets last week! I think the game would nearly be sold out now!!

As my partner and all my children are Warlpiri I love Dreamtime at the G. We do the walk and go on the ground and have a great night.

Hi guys & gals,

What do you think?

Fishard, welcome to the Forum.

I think this is a great idea. Let's hope the powers that be take it up with the AFL. Demons vs Saints certainly has a certain symmetry about it on Good Friday.

Don't agree.

Let Pell and Abbott kick up a fuss - fabulous free publicity, and national too. Would be lampooned all over the country by comedians and late night shows, and build it into something really big, which im sure would appeal to the AFL. We would have to first though get past Dimetriou's obvious personal religious commitment to NOT let this happen. It is about time the AFL Commission over-ruled him on this one.

Its bound to happen one day. Shopping centers petrol stations etc all used to be closed. From demand our lifestyle changes.

From a Melbourne point of view I'd have every blockbuster day for the MFC. (Like c'wood seem to hog everything) but in their defence they PULL the crowds. Is it fair only certain clubs get blockbusters? I dont think so.

Now I am going to go in from 'left field' here.

We have the Queens Birthday, I wouldnt what to lose that.

So an alternative... Alternate Teams each season on Good Friday.so everyone gets a shot. Maybe as a 'softer' to get a twilight game through the red tape, Part proceeds go to the Royal Childrens appeal. Club Sponsers, Teams ..donate X $$ for every goal scored. (or something similar)

im all for melbourne having more blockbusters, but there is no way that they will give this to the dees, until they start winning some games. We all know demetriou is about cash money money, so unless there is going to be a big draw with a crowd, with the Victoria's arguably 2 least supported teams, (at least a lot of flip floppers), i don't think this will ever happen, although i would like to see it.

Is it fair only certain clubs get blockbusters? I dont think so.

Maybe as a 'softer' to get a twilight game through the red tape, Part proceeds go to the Royal Childrens appeal. Club Sponsers, Teams ..donate X $$ for every goal scored. (or something similar)

Certain clubs have blockbusters because they have made them. Our blockbusters are a legacy that Sheedy has left. Carl$cum traditionally pulls as many people as Essendon but don't have any regular blockbusters. They do obviously get crowds over 80k to games against LOLingwood, Richmond and Essendon. I think that they always play Richmond round 1 and Essendon round 3 though.

im all for melbourne having more blockbusters, but there is no way that they will give this to the dees, until they start winning some games. We all know demetriou is about cash money money, so unless there is going to be a big draw with a crowd, with the Victoria's arguably 2 least supported teams, (at least a lot of flip floppers), i don't think this will ever happen, although i would like to see it.

ANZAC day drew huge crowds while the Pies were up there and we were cellar dwelling over the last few years. Also when it was the other way round 10 years ago. Also Richmond v Carl$cum round 1 was built while both these teams were very crap.

If there is truth to you worries if your club started working on it now then by the time it come to fruition your climb up the ladder may have already begun.