Who's in for a big year

Rocknroll

Im bored at work so I thought I would start a topic to see who you think is going to have a big 2010.

For me it is Nath Jones.

With McLean gone, and Maloney doing the hard nut grunt work, I feel, that Nath will have more room, more responsibility and more game time, in the centre this year and may even push forward and snag a few goals. If Scully quick hands and ball magnet skills flow through to the AFL then guys like Jones might get some quick hands in some room to spare. I hate to put the Moz on him, but watch out for the “number 2”. Also he is looking less chunky and more streamlined and super fit in the training photos. Hopefully he has learnt how to break a tag if one goes to him since mclean is not taking it.

Who do you think is going to step up in 2010?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im bored at work so I thought I would start a topic to see who you think is going to have a big 2010.

For me it is Nath Jones.

With McLean gone, and Maloney doing the hard nut grunt work, I feel, that Nath will have more room, more responsibility and more game time, in the centre this year and may even push forward and snag a few goals. If Scully quick hands and ball magnet skills flow through to the AFL then guys like Jones might get some quick hands in some room to spare. I hate to put the Moz on him, but watch out for the “number 2”. Also he is looking less chunky and more streamlined and super fit in the training photos. Hopefully he has learnt how to break a tag if one goes to him since mclean is not taking it.

Who do you think is going to step up in 2010?

Probably not Tiger Woods. Maybe Doc. Edelsten.

Have thought the same thing about Jones the last couple of years and have been burnt badly by picking him in my supercoach team. With some added pace and skill around him this year hopefully he will become a very damaging player.

Wonaeamirri should make a big impact in the forward line this year. From all reports last preseason he was super fit and set for a big year until struck down by injury. This year, if injury free, I would expect him to be rusty early on but then come home strong in the 2nd half of the season. He will probably make it hard for a guy like Jetta to get a regular game if he is firing because he has better leg speed and goal sense. This is all assuming that he hasn't lost too much of his acceleration due to his injuries.

On a side note... I just hope what happened to Wona doesn't happen to LJ this year (touch wood/fingers crossed etc.). After a great debut season Wona trained his guts out and ended up breaking down before the season. While I know that LJ needs to build his endurance and improve his strength to play as a KPF I just hope they don't try and fix something which ain't broke.

On a serious note, Lynden Dunn needs to step up imo to keep his spot.

And i want to see more of maric.

Dunny did step up in the second half of the season. He was without question on of our best players in the second half of the season and was rewarded with a new 2 year contract. So Dunn not in delisting risk in 2010. If Dunn can continue his late 09 form he will quickly become one of our top 10 players. If he starts playing the crap we saw from him in 08 and early 09 he can look forward to a two year hard slog with Casey. I think Dunn will suprise to the up side.

I am expecting Watt, Wonna, Blease, Spencer, Strause, & Maric to step up with solid rookie seasons from Watts and Trengove.

Dunny did step up in the second half of the season. He was without question on of our best players in the second half of the season and was rewarded with a new 2 year contract. So Dunn not in delisting risk in 2010. If Dunn can continue his late 09 form he will quickly become one of our top 10 players. If he starts playing the crap we saw from him in 08 and early 09 he can look forward to a two year hard slog with Casey. I think Dunn will suprise to the up side.

I am expecting Watt, Wonna, Blease, Spencer, Strause, & Maric to step up with solid rookie seasons from Watts and Trengove.

I think you're right about Dunn.

I think in the 2nd half of 2009 he finally translated his great VFL form into very effective contributions at AFL level.

Things seem to have clicked for him.

I think Mark Jamar will be in the top 5 AFL ruckmen by seasons end. I predicted that last year and it would have happened if he was injury free. I've been a fan for a long time.

Daniher stalled his development for years but he has come on in leaps and bounds under Bailey. His centre bounce work is scary. He launches into his opponent all day and grinds the taller ones into the ground. His second half against Sandilands in our massive comeback at the G in 08 was awesome. You could see Sandilands didn't want body contact by the last quarter, he was just trying to get out of Jamar's way. From memory he had 8 or 9 clearances that day, and he's repeated it a few times since.

I think a lack of game time and confidence held him back for a while but after last season his confidence will be sky high. He knows he belongs now. We'll finally see the Mark Jamar that used to dominate VFL games, the one who could kick and get a bit of the pill around the ground, bring that to AFL level.

Not sure why he signed a 1 year contract but I hope it was because he's backing himself. He's 26 and probably has at best 5 maybe 6 years left in him if his body holds up. That's not a lot of time to make some good coin. He would've been on near minimum wage for AFL for most of his time at the club and I don't think we'd be offering too many dollars just yet. If he can improve again on last years form and stay on the park, that might change.

The exciting thing is when you look at our list and there should be improvement almost everywhere. There are probably only 4 known quantities in our best 22. Flash, Green, Bruce and Junior have all shown us what they are capable of, the rest all have improvement in them. Moloney is doing his second preseason after missing a few and Rivers is doing his first. Warnock ans Martin have played less than 50 games and Sylvia is only just starting to put it together. Miller, PJ and Bell are depth who either improve or go at years end. The rest are still kids. Exciting times ahead.

Dunny should consider this his big breakout year. It's just the right time for a KP player, or at least a skinny development player, to hit their stride. I've always seen him as McPhee-like, only without the crash and bash. If you want to see him at his best review the Freo game from last season. The trick for him will be owning a spot, being a presence week in week out (15+ possession average, maybe a couple of goals) , and being more than just a tallish tagger. Some sort of Bruce-esque utility maybe.

Newton is one that goes without saying, and all the posters' inane babble aside, if we get the same injury list as last year he'll get his opportunity, and if the delivery improves, he'll only need a couple of bags to find himself retained, or perhaps at a new AFL club. I'm not banking on it though.

Another big year in the sense that hes under the pump is Johnson. Has to recapture '08 form. He had a few good performances this year (Cox, Sandilands) but was too inconsistent. He's still of a good age for a ruckman, and will get plenty of opportunities.

But the big one I expect to go from strength to strength is Nafe Jones. He's always bustled his way through a pack, and in the past found himself decked for his trouble. Some of those bigger bodied mids come in with a bang, then plateau, and you hope that in their peak they'll be able to get the physicality and engine to break games open. If he does it at all it'll be this year or next.

Guest hellter skelter
Does anyone have any news on Sam Blease and how he is travelling?
sam is still in the rehab group, but seems to be improving rapidly, my big mover this year looks to be N jetta, he looks outstanding.

Colin Sylvia.

We saw what he could do in 2009 after his first pre-season ever, and having his OP managed properly. He played well all over the ground, and we finally saw him using his strength to push opponents aside and take off, not to mention some of his long bomb goals which he wasn't capable of in the past. Hopefully he gets his second full preseason under his belt heading into 2010 fit and firing. If he does, he will be very dangerous, and likely our best player.

Cale Morton.

He is still lightly built, but with 2 years experience now in a variety of positions, he could very well explode. His game at CHB on Goodes was fantastic, and his 3 goal haul up forward in a short period against the Cats was also very promising. Not to mention a 37 disposal rebounding game from defence. He's going to be verging on elite sooner or later, and will be a head-ache of a match up for oppositions in the future. He could very well turn out to be the ultimate utility, though I hope to see him make a name for himself as an elite marking wingman in the Richo 2008 mould.

There's still alot of young talent to come too in Watts, Scully, Trengove et all! B)

I think in the 2nd half of 2009 he finally translated his great VFL form into very effective contributions at AFL level.

Things seem to have clicked for him.

Sixth year and on the basis of the first five years I am concerned Dunn's spot was created through injury rather than performance. After all this time he still has not bagged a spot. Too small for KP. Bigger frame does not fool me. Too timid for mine.

I think Mark Jamar will be in the top 5 AFL ruckmen by seasons end.

Wow! I hope you are right. We need a big ruckman to fire.

My big years will come from:

1. Morton

2. Sylvia

3. Jurrah

4. Frawley

5. Grimes

6. Tapscott

Look for an impact from both Blease and Strause. As with Grimes before them, an injury-hit first year followed by a breakout second now that they are bigger, fitter and stronger. I'm expecting to be impressed by them both.

Don't expect much from these 2 in 2010.

Blease has missed over a year of football, and hasn't even played against others since his U18 days over 12 months ago. He is in the rehab group, just recently began running again, and will be lucky to be fit for Round 1, let alone be up to speed football-wise and competing for a spot. I wouldn't expect to see him until the second half of 2010, and even then I don't think he will have much of an impact. Let's hope his broken leg didn't rob him of his main asset; his pace.

Strauss is also suffering the effects of an injury riddled first year. He lost 6-8kgs after his shoulder operation, and is still putting back on the weight. He is currently SMALLER than when we drafted him, and also has an injured hand, so he is in the rehab group. Luckily for him they think he will begin training with the main group in January. He is more likely to play in 2010 than Blease, but I wouldn't expect much. He struggled at VFL level this year when he played. He showed a few flashes of his talent, but overall he barely found the pill and was very timid with the physical side of the game. He will have to work on this before he steps up to AFL level.

Both Blease and Strauss are currently in worse condition than when we drafted them to the club over 12 months ago. Half out luck! :unsure: Noone should expect much from them in 2010, and if they play and go alright, then it's a bonus. We really got shat on with injuries.

Expect the main improvement to come from the guys who have had a few years in the system. Guys like Morton, Frawley, Jones, Grimes, Maric etc

From our new draftees, Scully and Trengove will play at some point when they're fit and ready. Tapscott will definitely play straight up. He is already built like a bull, has the skills and hardness to step up to AFL straight away. I'm expecting him to have an impact in his first season. Looks a great player in the making!

Edited by Lord Travis

Jared Rivers. 1st pre season in 3 years I believe and he is feeln fit as he ever has. Can you imagine how good our backline will look if this bloke can find some of his Rising Star form. He has been almost irrelevant for 3 years and the thought of him firing again has me salivating.

Have to agree with Lord Travis there, particularly on Tapscott. I can see him having the most impact of this year's draftees initially.

I reckon Frawley is going to have a ripper year. Could see Aaron Davey getting All-Australian if we win a few more games. Can see Moloney and Sylvia picking up from where they left off. Morton will continue to improve, but I don't think he's ready to become an A-grader just yet. Perhaps with another 25 games under his belt. And I reckon Matty Bate will kick 35 goals for the season.

There are quite a few players who I expect to have a big year next year and who I am quite keen to see play. In particular I agree with the OP though, Jones is one player of note who I am anticipating going up a notch next year. Surrounded by pace rather than plodders will help him going forward. The last handful of games this year seemed to show a different kind of Jones IMO, perhaps one who played without the weight of the world on his shoulders. He backed himself, found space and hit targets. Whether there was less pressure on him from the opposition or whether he was a bit more relaxed in his footy (more free form than indicision) I don't know but he finished off well. Still only 21 and has done it tough which will hold him in good stead in the future.

There are quite a few players who I expect to have a big year next year and who I am quite keen to see play. In particular I agree with the OP though, Jones is one player of note who I am anticipating going up a notch next year. Surrounded by pace rather than plodders will help him going forward. The last handful of games this year seemed to show a different kind of Jones IMO, perhaps one who played without the weight of the world on his shoulders. He backed himself, found space and hit targets. Whether there was less pressure on him from the opposition or whether he was a bit more relaxed in his footy (more free form than indicision) I don't know but he finished off well. Still only 21 and has done it tough which will hold him in good stead in the future.

I agree also, a major criticism of him has been that he tries to do too much and gets caught, but ive always said he should keep working at it, refining the ability to slip and break away from tackles, this is what guys like Mitchell and Chapman do that makes them effective. Jones will get the hang of it with more experience, he already has pack-beavering down, get his bash and crash going and disposal a touch more consistent and he will be one of our most damaging players particularly with a fleet of gun outsiders around him

There is usually a big surprise... wonder who it will be... somebody like Cheney, McNamara, Bartram will come out of the woodwork maybe

Guest Scattsgove

Sylvia to step up and really tear games apart. I'm tipping him to really explode in '010.

Morton and Grimes to take the next step and lead by example on the field.

Improvement from Watts, he'll only get better with experience, but it'll be 2011 that this kid really starts to kill it.

Tapscott will be the youngster to watch next year. He's ready for it, and he's got me massively excited.

I'm nominating A. Maric.

I reckon it will be time that Maric confirms his reputation as a junior star/dead eye dick. We have seen glimpses of his talent in many of his games, a lovely user of the ball but just needs to eliminate those clangers. Was a pity he got injured mid year as he could've used some valuable experince late in the year.

Has 2 years on his side so 2010 is not a make or break year for him.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell