McLean beats Judd!

DeeM

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably a good move, might extend Judd's career a little at the same time as testing our whether the Gibbs/Murphy/Mclean onball unit can do the job alone. Might mess around with plans to match up on Judd, too.

If true, it's a great move. Have Judd play through the guts as a plan B. What a plan B!

And when he's not there he can use his pace playing as a rangy forward. It'll work a treat.

And if Brock frustrates, there's no reason they can't fall back on Judd.

... this irrelevant time trial.

Indeed. The 3km time trial is not a speed test, it's an endurance test. Brock might keep a solid, sustained pace for 3km, that doesn't mean he's anywhere near 'explosive' over 20-30m ... the idea that he's faster than Judd is rubbish.

does anyone know what time he ran?

also would it be the course around princess park? i ran it on saturday, i'm interested to know how i match up :lol:

I'm not sure what time he ran this year, but when Judd first arrived at Carlton he broke the club record by 20 seconds, recording 10minutes 30 seconds for the 3.2klms

This would be relevant if the 3km time trial consisted of running with a ball for 3km whilst being chased by an opponent. If that had been the case he would not have made it passed 3 metres.

I hope this is not going to be like TJ watch where there will be posts on his every half decent game for the year.

He is gone. We swindled an excellent deal in the circumstances. Move on.

We got a brilliant deal out of a situation, How would have you improved it?

We couldn't have, given that he wanted to leave. We were lucky Carlton were so quick to jump at it, it could have ended up like a Luke Ball situation. But if you had asked me do you want to trade Brock for pick 11 before I knew he wanted leave, I would have said no. And i'll stand by that, Brock will be a better player for the next 7 years than our pick 11 will be.

Guys, get over it and stop watching what McLean is doing. He opted to not want to play, for OUR club, anymore. If he is still on your love list ,then go and watch Carlton train.

He's gone, left, no longer around, racked off, disappeared, shot through,deserted us! He is now the enemy.

If he was about to crunch one of our players in a match, would you all still want him to triumph?

I'm over him and sick of hearing about him...........enough please! :angry:

We couldn't have, given that he wanted to leave. We were lucky Carlton were so quick to jump at it, it could have ended up like a Luke Ball situation. But if you had asked me do you want to trade Brock for pick 11 before I knew he wanted leave, I would have said no. And i'll stand by that, Brock will be a better player for the next 7 years than our pick 11 will be.

The first point is a given. The second point is irrelevant because it did not end up that way. Given that Luke Ball scenario was still to come up, how would we have got a better deal from another Club improving on pick 11 for McLean? We wouldn't particularly not with the Luke Ball saga..

So you still have not justified how we got a raw deal with Brock. The more you go on only highlights given the situation why the deal was a good one and that you could not put up a plausible scenario for it to be improved upon.

The first point is a given. The second point is irrelevant because it did not end up that way. Given that Luke Ball scenario was still to come up, how would we have got a better deal from another Club improving on pick 11 for McLean? We wouldn't particularly not with the Luke Ball saga..

So you still have not justified how we got a raw deal with Brock. The more you go on only highlights given the situation why the deal was a good one and that you could not put up a plausible scenario for it to be improved upon.

he is just saying that aside from how it all came about, the value of what we lost is greater than we what we gained and odds are he will end up being right

he is just saying that aside from how it all came about, the value of what we lost is greater than we what we gained and odds are he will end up being right

Nice to know that we've already consigned pick 11 to be an ordinary, middle of the road player when we don't even know who it is yet.

Nice to know that we've already consigned pick 11 to be an ordinary, middle of the road player when we don't even know who it is yet.

It's frustrating, but there is that mindset I have posted on and off about.

The deal is seen as rubbish, not because we get only the 11th best kid in the draft, but because of who the MFC will see as the 11th best kid - as many of us have no faith in the MFC or have resigned ourselves to believing the gods will send us a dud in the 11th best kid in the draft.

My god that's an unhealthy view.

The deal is seen as rubbish, not because we get only the 11th best kid in the draft, but because of who the MFC will see as the 11th best kid - as many of us have no faith in the MFC or have resigned ourselves to believing the gods will send us a dud in the 11th best kid in the draft.

My opinions on the relative value of pick 11 vs Mclean are shaped by two factors:

1: I rate McLean.

2: I don't rate mid to late first round draft picks as much as others, and certainly not this year's. This is completely independant of the MFC's drafting ability.

I am well within the minority on both fronts, in fact I suspect I make up 100% of the minority in this case. Which I am quite comfortable to do as I am yet to hear a decent argument to bring me into line with the rest of demonland and their apparent addiction unproven players.

It's the same view that would've seen Frank Grimes ply his trade in Brisbane.

TJ is a proven player and would prove more then a pick 14. :lol:

My opinions on the relative value of pick 11 vs Mclean are shaped by two factors:

1: I rate McLean.

2: I don't rate mid to late first round draft picks as much as others, and certainly not this year's. This is completely independant of the MFC's drafting ability.

I am well within the minority on both fronts, in fact I suspect I make up 100% of the minority in this case. Which I am quite comfortable to do as I am yet to hear a decent argument to bring me into line with the rest of demonland and their apparent addiction unproven players.

You renegade...

McLean is a good player, we get a chance to draft a player of similar talents with Pick 11, and, also, we cannot forget the fact that with Jones and Moloney playing better footy than McLean he was surplus to requirements (especially considering we are taking mids with 1 and 2).

We got rid of surplus goods at retail prices.

I guess it all begs the question - what is his true worth to you?

Pick 5? Pick 9?

If Emma Quayle (as the doyen of all knowledge to armchair recruiters like yourself and myself) thinks this draft is even from Pick 5 - Pick 15, then does it matter that we 'only' got Pick 11?

It's the same view that would've seen Frank Grimes ply his trade in Brisbane.

TJ is a proven player and would prove more then a pick 14. :lol:

Nothing is that black and white. There were many difference between that situation and this one. Not least of which was because Trav was a cancer, which Mclean wasn't (note past tense). That one was the right move at the right time, and I was happy with it at the time as I am now. He does make up half of the reason my name is what it is, (soon to be a third).

Nothing is that black and white. There were many difference between that situation and this one. Not least of which was because Trav was a cancer, which Mclean wasn't (note past tense). That one was the right move at the right time, and I was happy with it at the time as I am now. He does make up half of the reason my name is what it is, (soon to be a third).

I'm not going to say McLean was a cancer (I wouldn't even say TJ was) but the guy got arrested in Europe twice (in a couple of weeks) and had his fair share of indiscretions.

If part of the reason the TJ trade was so good lies in the fact that his character was in question, does being questioned (and locked up) bring Brock's character into question?

I'm not going to say McLean was a cancer (I wouldn't even say TJ was) but the guy got arrested in Europe twice (in a couple of weeks) and had his fair share of indiscretions.

If part of the reason the TJ trade was so good lies in the fact that his character was in question, does being questioned (and locked up) bring Brock's character into question?

The cancer I think was his generally soft approach to playing and apparent lack of commitment. Which is far more dangerous to a young list than what Brock did.

The cancer I think was his generally soft approach to playing and apparent lack of commitment. Which is far more dangerous to a young list than what Brock did.

A bit hard.. He was playing injured and had interrupted prep most of the time.

Probably the best reason to use when defining how lucky MFC were to get pick 11 for him.

(For the opening post):

Brockys not that quick.. Just goes to show how much judds groin probs have slowed him up.

No wonder they want to play him up forward..

Before I'd heard it I couldn't believe Mclean was leaving

he seemed to be committed to red and blue. I was shocked I still don't

really know why he wanted to leave. He'd surely seen out the worst

of what we were going through as a club. Record debt [censored] facilities and poor on field performance.

So he decided to jump to carlton where he has some family history.

We got pick 11 I think it was the best deal completed in draft week little fuss, little mud slinging

Brock handled himself well in the media so did the club.

We couldn't of done any better and I don't think anyone else in competition would of offered us anything

close to what we got for Mclean.

I've moved on from Mclean look forward to the future can't wait to read and sing the praise of who we draft at 11

In his defence, its not that hard - I got locked up in munich because I happened to be walking past in a beerhall as one guy smashed a stein on another's head. Before I even knew what had happened a german security guard had dragged me out and I got hauled off with 8 other guys.

I bumped into Nath Carroll out there too and whilst he was smashed he was an absolute gentleman.

Edit: on reflection, this hardly makes me sound like the best judge of character...

Edited by Enforcer25

Guest Watts=Saviour
I'm not sure what time he ran this year, but when Judd first arrived at Carlton he broke the club record by 20 seconds, recording 10minutes 30 seconds for the 3.2klms

thanks for that, im only 40 seconds off Juddy haha. and about 10 minutes off scully :P

Also bit of a pointless fact, but I saw hawthorn down at princess park on saturday, buddy looks to have toned down a lot, looking extremely fit.

This topic has made me realise something

We were likely lucky that the deal got done so early in trade week, if Luke Ball become available, surely Carlton wouldve opted for him instead of McLean? And Saints would likely agree, maybe trying to get a player with the pick?