Luke Ball in the National Draft

Hazyshadeofgrinter

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me guess, you're thinking pick 19 in exchange for PSD#1? How did I do ?

I'm not thinking anything, just curious where people think he would go.

This topic was prompted by the discussion in the "Melbourne midfield vs. Richmond midfield" thread though, so in that sense you are right (although your powers of prediction would be more impressive if that possibility had not already been raised...)

Edited by Hazyshadeofgrinter

I'm not thinking anything, just curious where people think he would go.

This topic was prompted by the discussion in the "Melbourne midfield vs. Richmond midfield" thread though, so in that sense you are right (although your powers of prediction would be more impressive if that possibility had not already been raised...)

North at 25, Essendon at 26 or Collingwood at 30

Surely with Essendon having picks 24 and 26 he wouldn't get past both of them. With only Watson a real contested footy midfielder in their line up, and their midfield all being around the mid 20's age anyway I would think they would be negligent not to take him. Collingwood at 30 would be the furthest he would last.

(Note: PSD picks can't actually be traded)

I think it would be a good idea if they were tradable though.

It would free up the market even further and help resist introduction of free agency.

Collingwood could have negotiated with us for PSD 1 and with St.Kilda for Luke Ball.

We might have taken 25 or Wellingham or both for PSD 1.

Once PSD 1 is traded and Ball is guaranteed to Collingwood then Richmond becomes the focus with PSD 2.

Of course Hawthorn would've been first cab off the rank offering us pick 8 for PSD 1 to pick up Burgoyne, so if we'd taken that Collingwood would be dealing with Richmond.

It certainly would be a massive increase in the power of PSD picks - it might be a good replacement for the priority pick.

Gotta be a better idea than including future year draft picks.

Edited by old55

1. Melbourne

2. Melbourne

3. Richmond

4. Fremantle

5. North Melbourne

6. Sydney Swans

7. West Coast

8. Port Adelaide

9. Port Adelaide

10. Essendon

11. Melbourne

12. Carlton

13. Adelaide

14. Sydney Swans

15. Western Bulldogs

16. Port Adelaide

17. Geelong

18. Melbourne

19. Richmond

20. Fremantle

21. North Melbourne

22. West Coast

23. West Coast

24. Essendon

25. North Melbourne

26. Essendon

27. Brisbane Lions

28. Geelong

29. Adelaide

30. Collingwood

Bolded those picks I think are a chance to be used on Ball.

I think Freo could use him. Who's in their midfield now? Palmer, Hasleby, Crowley. The talent isn't outstanding there. And another decent midfielder would allow Pavlich to play more forward.

I reckon Essendon would take a look at him as well, as would North. If he made it to 30, Collingwood will 100% take him, so there's no point thinking about anything beyond that.

I believe Richmond has said they won't take Ball in the ND.

If he nominates he does not want to play for the dees. Why waste a top 20 pick on a guy who doesn't want to play for us?

We have everything to offer Luke Ball except finals appearances in the short term. If he wants the challenge, money and praise awaits him should he nominate instead for the PSD.

We have everything to offer Luke Ball except finals appearances in the short term. If he wants the challenge, money and praise awaits him should he nominate instead for the PSD.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bris...f-1225787732512

Excellent. If he wants to stay in Melbourne, PSD is the only guarantee. Brisbane are hot for Ball with Bradshaw walking out.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bris...f-1225787732512

Excellent. If he wants to stay in Melbourne, PSD is the only guarantee. Brisbane are hot for Ball with Bradshaw walking out.

Helps our cause no end. Brilliant.

does rather change the dynamics of things :) earliest pick for the Lions is 27 in ND

This should hopefully help Ball understand the situation: it's St Kilda or Melbourne.

Well its actually St Kilda or Melbourne or a raffle.

Personally I doubt he'd want to raffle himself off, unless a team he decides he wants to go to commits to taking him with a disproportionately early pick.

Personally I doubt he'd want to raffle himself off, unless a team he decides he wants to go to commits to taking him with a disproportionately early pick.

That was my point. With Brisbane declaring interest, Ball has to add another team to the potential destinations he might get by going into the ND. There's a complete lack of certainty and a large chance he'll end up somewhere he really doesn't want to be, or hasn't considered being. So this news could well make him rule out the ND, leaving a choice between PSD and St Kilda.

Any chance Greg Denham might consider all the evidence, rather than cherry picking the facts to bolster a story:

Bradshaw quits Lions

With Bradshaw set to leave, the Lions are understood to be poised to make a massive play for disenchanted St Kilda midfielder Luke Ball.

Ball is in the United States on holiday and the Lions said yesterday they would start negotiations next week with Ball's agent Paul Connors.

Brisbane could beat Collingwood and Melbourne to the punch. Both Victorian clubs are keen to secure Ball, but the Lions could use their first selection, at No27 overall, in November's national draft.

Collingwood's first selection in the national draft is No30, while Melbourne's initial intention was to draft Ball in the pre-season draft in December.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean, I could be miles out here.

Melbourne are indeed keen to select Ball with the No.1 pick in the PSD, but the Demons also have FOUR picks in the ND before Brisbane's pick 27.

Then, while Brisbane have pick 12, Melbourne also have pick 11.

Ball can get to Brisbane is if the Bears commit to use pick 12, or Melbourne pass on pick 18.

This is a pretty shallow draft by all accounts and Ball is a class player with at least five seasons to offer; if he nominates for the national draft we should go for him with pick 18. And Ball’s a professional footballer; if we pick him up in the national draft, we pay Luke Ball to play and he does so to the best of his considerable ability. Ryan O’Keefe didn’t want to play for the Swans this year but he had to and he won a B & F. Ball is a class player, we don’t have many of them, we do have plenty of draft picks so we should use one to secure him.

Any chance Greg Denham might consider all the evidence, rather than cherry picking the facts to bolster a story:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I mean, I could be miles out here.

Melbourne are indeed keen to select Ball with the No.1 pick in the PSD, but the Demons also have FOUR picks in the ND before Brisbane's pick 27.

Then, while Brisbane had pick 12 but traded it to Carlton, Melbourne also have pick 11.

Ball can get to Brisbane is if the Bears commit to use pick 12 while going in a Delorean and changing their trades and their name, or Melbourne pass on pick 18.

Done.

Look, the MFC have said that 1, 2, 11, and 18 are for kids. Other clubs will try to push Ball into the ND so they can have a crack. But as KS says - it's a raffle for Ball in there.

If Ball chooses the ND, it is a right royal "FU!!" to the MFC and a difficult decision is going to be made either way at 18. If in fact, PA or Sydney don't take him first.

This is such a hypothetical - I stand by my St.Kilda or Melbourne prediction.