Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pay him the money. At trade week make sure Port think that we may put pick 2 on the table then continually stall so we can reach the deadline so there will be no deal and then we can pick Burgoyne in the PSD and remind Burgoyne of the possible disharmony of the players at Hawthorn if he goes there on his massive pay packet that's according to Crawford.

Edited by BROCKSTAR5

Ive been reading this thread as it grew.

And I must say, some of what I have read has trully showed me just how little alot of my fellow Demons supporters know about footy, and afl footy in particular.

Shaun Burgoyne is one of the absolute best players in the league, he is a top 10 talent in the AFL. When completely fit he could make a top 5 list.

We have medico's..... they are paid to look at peoples injuries. If the club think he is ok, then he is ok.

Melbourne have no star players, Watts and Jurrah aren't there yet and Green/Davey don't get much respect. Burgoyne is blatantly a star and deserves big money.

We are a club with plenty of young talent that needs some experienced, strong leaders at the club. Burgoyne is this.

We have a fairly large group of aboriginal players, all young except for Davey. I can almost guarantee in my mind that all those young guys idolise in some way, Shaun Burgoyne. We have recently lost Wheels and a player of the respect and quality of Shaun Burgoyne would be incredible.

The talk of youth is beyond ridiculous, he is 26!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you all 15???? 26 is not old for a team going forward!!! IM certainly hoping we are a finals side at some point in the next 3 years, Burgoyne will definately be around in our finals tint. If James Mcdonald can get a game at a bottom placed Melbourne then a 29-30 year old Shaun Burgoyne will be one of our best players still when we are pushing finals.

He would 100% guaranteed be the player every team we are against tags.... Therefore releasing the pressure on Mclean, Sylvia, Scully, Trengove etc. But especially Davey. Who would not be the player with a number 1 tagger on him. Imagine Davey this year without a heavy tag???? Would be absolutely incredible.

I could go on about this for longer but im worried my opinion will not be seen by a fair few on here. It's a shame that people honestly think that any of this is a bad idea. Paying Burgoyne, getting Burgoyne would be massive, I repeat massive for this club.,....

Any questions, just ask.

Edited by Demons 32

I would prefer to pay Burgoyne $800k in 2010 rather than spread that $800k around to our 20/21 year olds. I don't think it would be healthy to have these young guys on inflated contracts now as in 3 years time when they ask for real money and we are in the 8, they (And by that I mean Nixon, Connor, Pickering and the other merry men) will ask for wages that are unrealistic and constrictive.

If mfc sucessfully trade pick 18 and a player, or get him in the psd. do we draft differently in the National Draft? MFC need another KPF?

Bate, Watts, Sylvia, Wonaeamirri, Petterd, and Jurrah will kick enough goals. Martin and Jamar will create enough contests. They will make a functioning forward line.

I am far more concerned with who is going to get the pill and kick it, properly, into the forward line.

Guest hangon007
My gut feel is that Demons might be ahead in securing Burgoyne. Why?

1. We have the salary cap room to offer a great contract. Hawthorn are not so well placed. Not sure on the Dons.

2. Capataincy is a great possibility. Only 26yrs old! Vice Capt at Port and was supposed to have been captain at Port. No chance at Hawthorn or Essendon. Watson to captain the Dons.

3. Aaron Davey is his cousin.

4. Bailey and Mahoney are from Port. Hawthorn have there links aswell but salary cap a huge issue for them. The Dons only Alwyn Davey as there link.

5. Demons to only go up in leaps and bounds with a young talented list. Premiership window will be open for the remainder of Burgoynes career.

6. Burgoyne is prepared to enter PSD!

So what should the Demons offer Port from all of this. I say Pick 50 and Daniel Bell. Harsh it may seem! Or nothing!

HA HA!

He will be a Dee!

Now with all those things going for us ... read this http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...39-2722,00.html

Burgoyne has no interest in coming to the Dees, the fact he has nominated them as one of three destinations, is purely canny work by his agent to ensure that Port feel they have to make a trade with Hawthorn, or risk losing him for nothing in the PSD (Nick Stevens style). Whichever team held the #1 PSD pick would have been nominated by Burgoyne as a "preferred" destination. Unless everything goes pear shaped with Hawthorn, and Port cracks the shits and refuse to trade, I can't see Burgoyne being a Dee.

Burgoyne has no interest in coming to the Dees, the fact he has nominated them as one of three destinations, is purely canny work by his agent to ensure that Port feel they have to make a trade with Hawthorn, or risk losing him for nothing in the PSD (Nick Stevens style). Whichever team held the #1 PSD pick would have been nominated by Burgoyne as a "preferred" destination. Unless everything goes pear shaped with Hawthorn, and Port cracks the shits and refuse to trade, I can't see Burgoyne being a Dee.

That would be great- the only way that I'd like is through the PSD. He dos not suit us if we have to trade for him

Guest hangon007

With all due respect - "Burgoyne has no interest in coming to the Dees" - this is not true ... t idle mis-informed media speculation.

Shaun Burgoyne & his management are a business - like any business they are trying to seek the best deal for themselves ... well within their rights.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Now with all those things going for us ... read this http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...39-2722,00.html

well if theres any truth to this matter in the article then I can only respond with those classic lyrics ( revised ) to ..Am I ever going to see your face again ??

No way ...get !!%$#* *&%$ OFF !!!!

He is not worth 750G a year to us. Would be a poor investment.

He can be a very good player though we havent see that this year, quite eractic in fact.

Some may justifiably suggest hes peaked. Id be looking at 500 ..no more. Theres better value out there. Again.. more sense and vbalue looking to Boak I feel, if were to trade with Port.

Our midfiled wont be a problem in a couple of years.. We need to think longer term as Shaun more suits teh hawkers window of a couple of years... ours is directly after. Timing for Burgoyne is imperfect.

Really going off this Burgoyne idea.

edit... more and more sounds like ambit bluffing and posturing by him/management to exact best deal. That in itself is fair enough in a big bad world.. bu tleave us out of this crap. MFC..look elsewhere.. etter still.. play the game back at him and suggest were really not that infatuated.. and he might want to chance his luck with who's ever after us if thats his game ;)

two can play the bs game ..:)

Edited by belzebub59

I'll have my life savings, my house, my car and my kids college funds on the Hawks at $3.00 thanks.

egggggggggggceellllentttttttt !!!! :lol:

where do I sign on for $3.00 ???? money for jam !!

Bate, Watts, Sylvia, Wonaeamirri, Petterd, and Jurrah will kick enough goals. Martin and Jamar will create enough contests. They will make a functioning forward line.

I am far more concerned with who is going to get the pill and kick it, properly, into the forward line.

Bear in mind, we are not merely trying to build a team that can compete -- we are building a premiership side here.

I'm of the opinion that the KPP we get at pick 18 will be an important cog.

Burgoyne is a fantastic player, but he is a player for NOW and I'm thinking of 2, 3, 4 years in the future...

Bear in mind, we are not merely trying to build a team that can compete -- we are building a premiership side here.

I'm of the opinion that the KPP we get at pick 18 will be an important cog.

Burgoyne is a fantastic player, but he is a player for NOW and I'm thinking of 2, 3, 4 years in the future...

..nail...head....done !! ;)

If I was Burgoyne I would be doing exactly the same thing he is.

I believe it is true that he wants to go to a Victorian team where he already has many close friends and family and that these teams are Hawthorn, Melbourne, and Essendon in that order of preference.

His preference for Hawthorn is because it offers immediate finals football, big games, and a very high probability of a premiership. Thus he naturally is prepared to ask for less from a team that can offer more in terms of imminent success.

If I was Burgoyne I would also be talking up my price. The first offer is never the last. When I am negotiating a new package after a promotion or new position I talk up my worth and ask for more than I am likely to get. Not once has what I asked for been met. Every time my work place and I have agreed at a level somewhere between what they want to pay me and what I want to get paid. Its called normal negotiation. Burgoyne is simply doing the same thing. Personally I would be prepared to pay him $600k - $700k. He is an absolute champion and will walk into the MFC as the best player, thus he deserves this level of pay. My concern is with what Port are wanting for him. He is 27yo next year not a 24yo like Judd was when he left West Coke nor is he as good as Judd. I feel pick 18 plus pick 1 in the PSD plus Rivers or Warnock nothing more.

Otherwise forget it and hope he falls through to the pre-season draft.

I now feel Hawthorn will offer pick 9 plus a decent player though so I now feel we will not get him.

If I was Burgoyne I would be doing exactly the same thing he is.

I believe it is true that he wants to go to a Victorian team where he already has many close friends and family and that these teams are Hawthorn, Melbourne, and Essendon in that order of preference.

His preference for Hawthorn is because it offers immediate finals football, big games, and a very high probability of a premiership. Thus he naturally is prepared to ask for less from a team that can offer more in terms of imminent success.

If I was Burgoyne I would also be talking up my price. The first offer is never the last. When I am negotiating a new package after a promotion or new position I talk up my worth and ask for more than I am likely to get. Not once has what I asked for been met. Every time my work place and I have agreed at a level somewhere between what they want to pay me and what I want to get paid. Its called normal negotiation. Burgoyne is simply doing the same thing. Personally I would be prepared to pay him $600k - $700k. He is an absolute champion and will walk into the MFC as the best player, thus he deserves this level of pay. My concern is with what Port are wanting for him. He is 27yo next year not a 24yo like Judd was when he left West Coke nor is he as good as Judd. I feel pick 18 plus pick 1 in the PSD plus Rivers or Warnock nothing more.

Otherwise forget it and hope he falls through to the pre-season draft.

I now feel Hawthorn will offer pick 9 plus a decent player though so I now feel we will not get him.

He is actually 27 in a month

If the article in the Australian is true and he wants $150000.00 a year more to play with us than Hawthorn then he can go and get stuffed as far as I am concerned.

I would be more interested in trading with Port to get the first round pick they will get from the Hawks for him.