Kyle Cheney

i wonder if he could be used in the midfield. i know he isnt polished but wish his bullocking work. he might be a good clearance player

we already have enough of those those types in the midfield, we need some pace injected there

I'll go on the record and say that i really like Cheney, and think every team needs players like him. Strong, hard, courageous and uncomprimising. A real no-nonsense type footballer. His skills and pace is adequate without being exceptional, but its his attitude towards his footy that has impressed me most. Reminds me a lot of someone like a Glenn Archer, or an Andrew Welsh from Essendon. His overhead marking and spoiling is great for his size, and he never takes a backwards step or squibs a contest.

Will never get the wide recognition that his other more highly-rated teammates do/will, but will get his job done every week, and is likely to improve a whole lot over the next 2 to 3 years, without too many people noticing.

Will take Wreckers spot for the next 10 years IMO.

Last year, I thought he'd never make it. He's improved in leaps and bounds since then. If that continues he could be a good ordinary backman. I'm not overly excited but he has a crack and any lack of accountability will improve with age, size and experience. The thing I liked about Peter Walsh was that he was, without fail, one of the few players who would take the ball back through the centre corridor, no matter what the situation was nor how wide every other schmuck was taking us - an admirable quality! For the record, I don't see that in Cheney (yet).

Cheney himself has said that he is not the most skillfull player in the team or will never be a flashy player player but his motto is that he see's the ball and go andgets it! i like him reminds me a bit of steven febey.. is def in our future plans!

I'll go on the record and say that i really like Cheney, and think every team needs players like him. Strong, hard, courageous and uncomprimising. A real no-nonsense type footballer. His skills and pace is adequate without being exceptional, but its his attitude towards his footy that has impressed me most. Reminds me a lot of someone like a Glenn Archer, or an Andrew Welsh from Essendon. His overhead marking and spoiling is great for his size, and he never takes a backwards step or squibs a contest.

Will never get the wide recognition that his other more highly-rated teammates do/will, but will get his job done every week, and is likely to improve a whole lot over the next 2 to 3 years, without too many people noticing.

Don't know about 10 years, but I agree that he is the kind of player that just gets the job done, no complaints. It's imperative that we play him for the rest of the year. This AFL experience will greatly boost his development, especially since he seems fit enought to cope with it.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I don't think I've seen enough of him yet to make a real judgement but I'm leaning toward this point of view more than any other.

ffs..its his first real year :huh: Given we don't have our best backs playing week in week out at present I think Kyle is coming along just fine. These are the games the kids need

Hopefully the games he's had this year will fast track his development a bit so he's ready to step up next year should Wrecker retire. Reminds me of Peter Walsh.

Skill wise to? Do you recon if he didnt have red hair would he remind you of walshy?

Skill wise to? Do you recon if he didnt have red hair would he remind you of walshy?

Yeah the red hair is what i was mainly talking about but he's got that strong body and run out of defence. I think he lacks that bit of confidence to come up the ground like Walshy did but you have to give him a bit of time (and a couple of wins hopefully) to develop that.

From what i've seen he has no problem getting the ball and his foot skills are good, it'll be decision making and confidence (like the whole team) that will let him down occasionally.

I think you're right, but thats against the fastest team in the comp.

He's harder than any of our other young blokes and we need that aspect in our young developing group.

He will never develop into a superstar, but his spot is definitely secure. Could easily become our version of Campbell Brown.

There is alot of other fast nippy forwards, like the Rioli's, the Byrnes's, the Davis's, the Dicks', the Lockyer's, the Corrie's, the Nahas's, the Akermanis's, the Milne's, etc. etc.., just because Essendon is the fastest team in the comp, doesn't mean there is no other small nippy forwards in the comp.

Granted he is young, he is hard at the ball, developing & a good overhead mark. My opinion of him is related to his lack of pace against these small forwards, that's all.

I'm not sure his spot is definitely secure in the backline. We have alot of candidates for the backline. Alot of competition. Some we have yet to see too. ie. McNamara, Strauss.

Not sure if he is midfield material either fwiw.

ffs..its his first real year :huh: Given we don't have our best backs playing week in week out at present I think Kyle is coming along just fine. These are the games the kids need

Ahh yes but this seems to be the way - gutting youngsters before they really get a chance to prove themselves :rolleyes: !!!

I have no issues with him, but I like that kind of player who is hard at it and tough. That being said there are unquestionably plenty of things that he needs to work on, but given, as Bub said, it is his first real year and first genuine taste of what is, and going to be required. he is finding his way. He may not be the most exciting player on our kids list, but it is way too soon to pass a complete judgment.

Cheney has some pretty good attributes. He is competing in an area where there is almost a surplus of rising talent (and Garland hasn't even come back yet). I think his hardness will benefit the players around him though over time. A keeper for a while yet and the way he attacks marking contests front on should make him very useful across half back and possibly elsewhere depending on development.

defensive efforts from Cheney have been shocking so far in the first half for Casey... really needs to be more accountable...

Disappointing game from him today. Some shite kicking, and poor defensive game.

He really struggles when the ball comes in high.

Bail, who is another small defensive option for us, has been largely disappointing in his first year. Kicking is pretty poor.