• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Northern Bullants vs. Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got back from the game...im crap at giving reports but will any questions if u have any

Ok NJ, best players and goalkickers?

boy oh boy we have something special on our hands. i am so excited about jurrah. I only saw the last quarter and a half but every time he goes near it something exciting happens. Not only did he kick the 4 goals, but he also helped create a number of others. Took a mark 30 metres out straight in front, only to have a questionable hands in the back paid against him, so it certainly could have been more.

my sole motivation for going to the game was to see jurrah. he is going to be a star if he can stay fit, and a massive drawcard. he will bring people to the games (as he did for me today, hungover and all!). all of teh carlton/bullants supporters around me were wondering who 51 was.

Petterd was good when i was there, as was benny, but im a bit biased towards him. benny was taking the game on. didn't always come off but he was exciting. wheatley looked way off.

interesting people were saying it was a scrappy game early. casey really turned it on in the last quarter and played a really clean quarter. it was great to watch.

A quick rundown before I go and defrost myself...

Jurrah: needs to get himself more involved in the contest, but boy is he good. Makes things happen out of nothing, and nearly took one of the best one handed screamers I've seen. Very talented and I would say he'd be close to a call up. Again though, needs to stop spectating at times and actually run forward to present an option. Will learn.

Newton: the complete opposite to Jurrah. Can mark and all, but has zero confidence in his kicking and is generally just poor in his positioning and ability to read the play. I think he may have a groin issue though because I saw him walk off at half time holding his groin.

Martin: too good for this level as a defender. Played up forward in the first half, rucked for about 5 minutes, then went down back to play on Fisher and nullified him (after Fisher was kicking them from everywhere, which according to my Carlton friend is a rarity)

Bennell: didn't get a lot of it, but when he did, make things happen. Very quick, good skills, will get a call up soon no doubt

Jetta: very good forward pressure, but sort of floats in and out of games. Took some good strong marks and has potential. Would be threatening Maric's position in the side unless Maric starts kicking goals

Strauss: didn't get much of the ball but is a great user of it. Kicking is superb. Don't think the VFL style of play suits him so much, especially since you don't get paid the mark when kicking backwards in the defensive 50. He'll be better in the AFL when we can feed the ball out to him and he can run down from HB to create a contest. He played a bit up forward in the last.

Wheatley: one word- delist. Might be harsh because he kicked a great long goal, but he still can't defend and he is still turning the ball over nearly every time. Made a horrible fumble at ground level as well and got dragged. No way can he get a senior game based on that performance

Dunn: not as good as last week, but he loves this level. Didn't make many mistakes and is constantly finding space. If only he could translate that when playing AFL

Bartram: turned it over a lot, worked hard defensively. Just a game.

Petterd: great strong overhead marking, horrible kicking. Just a game.

Valenti: dominates at this level and is just so so good with his hands. Took some good marks for his size as well.

McKenzie: I love him, although his ball use in space was a bit dodgy at times. Very very good hands in close though. Would be happy to elevate him to the senior list, but probably not necessary when we promoted Valenti

Hughes: bloody quick, but didn't see much of it.

Spencer didn't play.

Can't remember if I forgot anyone, but my brain is frozen (and slightly hungover), so remind me if I did.

Edit: forgot to mention Bail. He didn't do a whole heap in the first half, then got smacked in the head behind the play by Robinson (Carlton listed player) right before half time. He never came back on, in fact he never came out of the rooms. He looked pretty out of it after he went down, so I'm assuming it's just a concussion. No free kick was paid, so it's possible that none of the 7 idiots umpiring the game actually saw what happened, meaning Robinson won't get suspended. If that was caught on camera he'd get 3 weeks, easily. It was 50m from the contest, high and pretty forceful.

2009 VFL Seniors

Northern Bullants 3.1 6.2 8.4 9.4 (58)

Casey Scorpions 6.3 7.6 8.7 14.11 (95)

GOALS:

Northern Bullants: Fisher 6 McCorkell Hartlett ELLARD

Casey Scorpions: Jurrah 4 JETTA 3 Matthews 3 Newton Wheatley Faulks BENNELL

BEST:

Northern Bullants: Fisher ELLARD Hadley Russell Hartlett Edwards

Casey Scorpions: BENNELL Faulks Jurrah Silvagni JETTA Matthews

REPORTED PLAYERS:

Northern Bullants: nil

Casey Scorpions: nil

Whoever does the "Bests" for the VFL needs to lay off the drugs.

Bennell was good when he got the ball, but he was nowhere near good enough to get into the votes.

A bit of credit to Valenti, McKenzie and Dunn is required, as they pretty much ensured we dominated the clearances in the last quarter which is when we actually won the game.

Also think that Martin deserves a lot of credit for shutting down Fisher who absolutely dominated Wheatley and other various Casey listed defenders for the first half of the game.

And no, Bell didn't play. Nobody who played on Monday played today, given the very short break.

A quick rundown before I go and defrost myself...

Strauss: didn't get much of the ball but is a great user of it. Kicking is superb. Don't think the VFL style of play suits him so much, especially since you don't get paid the mark when kicking backwards in the defensive 50. He'll be better in the AFL when we can feed the ball out to him and he can run down from HB to create a contest.

Can't remember if I forgot anyone, but my brain is frozen (and slightly hungover), so remind me if I did.

A hungover and frozen brain, and yet still quite insightful Jaded. Strauss delivering to you off a run from the half-back is a leading forwards wet-dream.

haha I'm an idiot. Thanks for the updates though!

I like the sounds of Jetta, think he needs to develop his body as much as anything. His pressure last week I thought was great and he seems to have continued that this week.

A hungover and frozen brain, and yet still quite insightful Jaded. Strauss delivering to you off a run from the half-back is a leading forwards wet-dream.

I tried.

We only made the decision to go in the last minute, and were not appropriately rugged-up and did spend the majority of the game discussing the merits of Fisher's facial hair, the irony of Silvani dominating against Carlton, and whether Robinson is a ranga or an albino, or a bit of both. Then in the last quarter my friend got very distracted by some random Casey reserves player :wacko::rolleyes:

Clearly she was bored given that the Bullents is a team full of D-grade Carlton rejects (yes Cloke, we're looking at you), while Casey had a bit of talent on display.

Much excitement ensued whenever one of Jurrah/Martin/Bennell/Jetta/Strauss/McKenzie got near the ball, and much swearing was involved whenever Wheatley turned it over and Newton dished it off inside 50.

Ok NJ, best players and goalkickers?

Jurrah kicked four beauties, missed one on the run that he should have got and also was not paid a mark in front of goal that should have been paid. He also had some great goal assists. Petterd, Bartram did well in patches. Wheatley is coming along nicely. Martin was fairly quite but took some nice grabs in defense. Jetta was lively in patches. I thought Valenti played his usual solid game. Bennell was good in patches also. Dunn and Newton were positives but not outstanding. I think they will both be off unfortunately at years end. My man strauss continued his good disposal work with some excellent kicks under pressure. He also took the kick outs...

Did you see who it was that hit Bail?

Apparantly it was a Tasmanian bloke. Don't know his name. He came into the stands after being hit and doesn't seem too bad. I would say he was Bail of the best on before the hit. They have a weeks rest after this. so he will def be fine for the next game I would imagine.

How did my boy, Jordie Mc Kenzie go? Well, I'll bet.

To be honest, I didn't notice him too much. Although, he does seem like the sort of kid that could step up at seasons end. I don't know how many possesions he got. I'm quitely excited by him but I didn't notice him too much to say how he went today (too much Jurrah watching). I'm sure he played well, somebody will have the possie count I'm sure.

Who played on Fisher?

Not sure

Did Bell play?

I didn't notice bell...

Sorry about the lack of good responses...When I'm at these sort of games, I'm watching players like Jurrah the whole time and get so excited when they get the ball that I don't really notice the other players enough...

In saying that, I'm fairly sure Jurrah is gonna get the gig against the bombers, as should bennell and bartram...

Jurrah is just as good to watch live (if not better) than he is on tv if that makes any sense. It was like watching davey in 2004. You are not able to not get excited when jurrah is the area of the ball. He could also be good for crowds...I probably would not have gone today if he wasnt playing, therefore, I hope he brings people along to melbourne games.

He has got great leap as well and moves like a small player. I'm not sure how tall he is but he went in a couple of ruck contests and came out the better, because of his leap. He probably needs a bit of work on where to lead and he goes quite at times, but when he is on fire, he gets a lot of it. He kicked two in the first quarter. Missed one on the run. Passed off a couple when he could have had shots. And wasnt paid that mark in the last quarter that would should have been paid.

But gee, he is a good kick at goal, and that snap from the boundary line was exciting...I cheered before it went through the goal because I was that sure that he would get it.

He and Strauss continue to be my two biggest positives...

Liam was happy with his game and that the team won. However, he was shitty about the umpire robbing him of that mark in front of goal in the last quarter, and he was angry at himself for not bringing down that one handed screamer and for hitting the post in the second quarter. He reckons he should have finished with about 6 or 7 goals today, but he was happy overall. He must be close to a senior call up now. I thought Jetta was terrific today, so it would be great to have them both get promoted.

Liam was happy with his game and that the team won. However, he was shitty about the umpire robbing him of that mark in front of goal in the last quarter, and he was angry at himself for not bringing down that one handed screamer and for hitting the post in the second quarter. He reckons he should have finished with about 6 or 7 goals today, but he was happy overall. He must be close to a senior call up now. I thought Jetta was terrific today, so it would be great to have them both get promoted.

He doesn't need to measure his output by goals alone, because I thought he contributed to a lot of the score anyway, and was by far the most dominant forward for Casey.

The umpires were absolutely terrible all game, and influenced way too many contests. They payed decisions that weren't there, and didn't pay the ones that were there. Shocking. They must have been at Etihad last night, because there too the umpiring was terrible.

Jurrah definitely deserved that mark in the last.

As for the one handed attempt, tell him to try both hands next time ;)

Oh and for those who care, CJ played for the Bullants and was woeful. He pulled out of one contest in particular which prompted my friend to swear at him and turn to me and give me an earful for releasing such a dud into the open market, thus enabling Carlton to pick him up! I laughed! :D

Liam was happy with his game and that the team won. However, he was shitty about the umpire robbing him of that mark in front of goal in the last quarter, and he was angry at himself for not bringing down that one handed screamer and for hitting the post in the second quarter. He reckons he should have finished with about 6 or 7 goals today, but he was happy overall. He must be close to a senior call up now. I thought Jetta was terrific today, so it would be great to have them both get promoted

Rudeboy, happy to read of Liams exploits today and heR that he is so hungry. I would have thought that the club would have been waiting for him to develop his engine and body a little more before even considering him for a game. Judging by your comments you don't agree. You honestly think he is close to a call-up?

Rudeboy, happy to read of Liams exploits today and heR that he is so hungry. I would have thought that the club would have been waiting for him to develop his engine and body a little more before even considering him for a game. Judging by your comments you don't agree. You honestly think he is close to a call-up?

I've got no idea of the club's plans. All I know is that he's kicked 11 goals in 3 weeks, and the senior team needs a goal kicker. I'm sure the club wants him to play a few senior games this year, but whether it's this week or in 3 or 4 weeks time I wouldn't know. Naturally his engine will improve over time, but that can probably be said for most new recruits. He's got a hell of a lot of improvement in him, both physically and in game sense, but I actually think he'll play better in the seniors where the delivery from players like Flash will make his job easier. Nevertheless, we won't really see him shine until he's had one or two pre-seasons under his belt, so I really hope that Dees fans don't expect too much from him too soon. Fwiw, I'd love him to get a senior game this week. I reckon he'll learn more playing in the seniors than in the VFL.

Whoever does the "Bests" for the VFL needs to lay off the drugs.

Bennell was good when he got the ball, but he was nowhere near good enough to get into the votes.

Beg to differ on Bennell. He was consistently good all day and I had him Casey's bests along with Jurrah, Valenti and Matthews. I don't know how selection for next week works given they play on Friday with a six day break but Bennell must be a chance. Valenti would be a possibility and Jurrah will definitely be playing within a month. No doubt this bloke is going to be an excitement machine once he learns how to pace himself in the pressure cooker of the AFL which is a giant step up from where he's playing ATM and several steps above where he started. I'd therefore think the club would be taking a conservative approach for his benefit. He does some amazing things and looks pretty relaxed doing them. Wow!

Given the club is launching a new Debt Demolition later this year, ie need $$ and that they introduced Watts for a home game i reckon LJ will debut on a home game day soon. He will help lift excitement for the day and we may get a few extra come in to see his debut.

In any case this season is now just about getting a few games under the belts of our first and second year players players. We need to make sure we manage our expectations of these players.

Ahh this is all sounding very nice indeed!

Bit sad re: the possibility of Wheatley never playing for MFC again but this is how it goes. Jurrah, have not seen anything but am hearing a lot! Strauss, Martin, Bennell and Jurrah, would be nice to see their names on the team sheet in the coming weeks at some stage. I think Dunn and Bartram should have more of a run with the Scorpions and give Jurrah, Jetta and Bennell a(nother) crack. Feel a bit sorry for Valenti actually, sounds like the lad just owns VFL footy but I would say that he is getting delisted at season's end more than likely...

Strauss: didn't get much of the ball but is a great user of it. Kicking is superb. Don't think the VFL style of play suits him so much, especially since you don't get paid the mark when kicking backwards in the defensive 50. He'll be better in the AFL when we can feed the ball out to him and he can run down from HB to create a contest. He played a bit up forward in the last.

Superb kicking...

You don't read that as a comment related to a Melbourne-listed player very often.

Wheatley: one word- delist. Might be harsh because he kicked a great long goal, but he still can't defend and he is still turning the ball over nearly every time. Made a horrible fumble at ground level as well and got dragged. No way can he get a senior game based on that performance

Can't see Wheats getting too many AFL games this year, and this year must certainly be his last.

Petterd: great strong overhead marking, horrible kicking. Just a game.

What's new?

McKenzie: I love him, although his ball use in space was a bit dodgy at times. Very very good hands in close though. Would be happy to elevate him to the senior list, but probably not necessary when we promoted Valenti

What's his foot-speed like? It wouldn't be much of a benefit to the team if he happened to be another plodder. But I do think he's a future prospect regardless.

Boy am I excited by this guy. 11 goals in 3 weeks; that's the kind of output that Melbourne is crying out for (though I'm under no illusions as to the difference between VFL and AFL). I'm sure there are still plenty of areas that Jurrah can/needs to improve in, but there's enough going for him to warrant a call-up in the coming weeks (vs West Coast?)