• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bailey's plan

DeeM

I was reading up on the Casey review and started thinking about the players there playing for Casey and players playing for Melbourne and it hit me, I can see Dean's plan.

We can all see the backline, It has got Warnock, Frawley, Rivers ect and it's pretty settled.

I can start to see the making of our Forward line to, Watts, Maric, Aussie, Miller, Green (as he gets older) maybe Newton and Jurrah. In a few years this along with other player who will be in it, this will be a very good forward line.

And Midfield, this was my biggest problem but then i started to think Dean Doesn’t want to start from scratch with this line, and why would you when you have Mclean, Molloney, Davey, Morton.

The inclusion of at least another high pick (most likely) at the end of this year, and I can see a very very balanced side in the next few years. With guys like Whelan, Strauss Wheatley, Jetta, Miller, Newton fighting for a spot.

But what does everyone else think? Can you see a prosperous future?

by picking up the likes of strauss, watts and blease its pretty obvious that we need people that can kick the footy

Not everyone agrees with Freak, but yes, we are looking now for kickers, and we need to. As usual, following whatever made last years premiers get over the line. I'm not completely certain just recruiting good disposers will get you there. We used to have one of the most skilled groups of kickers going around, an it got us an express ticket to mediocrity.

For mine, I reckon the bottoming-out thing is crucial, but so is timing. We have gone for talls/talls/talls in recent years, and now have maybe only one or two more bona-fide prospects we need.

The midfield is something that would come together quicker from the recruiting stage. Rich, Murphy, Judd, Palmer... These are guys tha within a year or two were making good accounts of themselves in the big league, not taking 3-5 yaers to come good like so many talls do. When our mids start developing, once recruited from next year on, they'll all come good (hopefully) at the same time.

From there, I think our kicks will be MUCH improved. Maric, Blease, Watts, and many of the lesser lights can kick... I think they just need the mature bodies around them to steady, and to offer some space.

I hope Bails and staff see Strauss as that answer as i do.

I know its just you tube footage i have seen but the way this kid kicks to advantage and the way he moves makes me think we have a real special kid in our hands.

Cant wait to see him debut!

I understand the need for structure and plans etc, But does anyone else think there is too much THINKING involved in What Melbourne are doing. This person has to play that way or be there and do that etc, It takes away from the players natural ability, strengths. For instance how much does Morton over think his action when with the ball, Or Pettard, Bartrum, rise in the first year but fall in the second when they had a Plan/task to think about.

I read somewhere that until Bailey came along there were no plans for hit outs etc. Under Danners they played to strengths and natural abilities. I understand we did not get the ultimate goal but they were fairly positive years.

In another thread someone said how they are telling Beamer to play a different way, that he is to curb the amount he kicks long, and they are possibly telling Rivers not to kick at all, and how they want the team to always give it to Davey across the half back line. All of these and im sure there are more are what i would think are against the grain of there natural decisions.

I like Bailey, I want to see success too and it will take time but im of the belief that some times you just have to let em play!!

I read somewhere that until Bailey came along there were no plans for hit outs etc. Under Danners they played to strengths and natural abilities. I understand we did not get the ultimate goal but they were fairly positive years.

Every tiny detail is planned in AFL these days. That's the way the game is going. You have to be a thinking footballer to be an elite player.

That we didn't have any set plans under Daniher would go a long way towards explaining why we were up and down like a smack addict every year. It would also explain why mediocre players made it to 100 games under Daniher. They all played to their strengths and natural abilities... it's just such a shame that they didn't have much of either.

it makes for interesting discussion, and i think a way of being able to better look at it is if you put a potential team on paper, and heres mine

Warnock Garland Cheney

Rivers Martin Petterd

Strauss Moloney Morton

Davey Watts Green

Wona Butcher Maric

Spencer McLean Jones

Int from Blease, Bruce, Jetta, Sylvia, Bartram and the list goes on

It looks a good team for 3 years time

it makes for interesting discussion, and i think a way of being able to better look at it is if you put a potential team on paper, and heres mine

Warnock Garland Cheney

Rivers Martin Petterd

Strauss Moloney Morton

Davey Watts Green

Wona Butcher Maric

Spencer McLean Jones

Deeflog, no Bate? Did you forget him, or isn't he good enough in your opinion? I'm beginning to have serious doubts about him.

I understand the need for structure and plans etc, But does anyone else think there is too much THINKING involved in What Melbourne are doing. This person has to play that way or be there and do that etc, It takes away from the players natural ability, strengths. For instance how much does Morton over think his action when with the ball, Or Pettard, Bartrum, rise in the first year but fall in the second when they had a Plan/task to think about.

In another thread someone said how they are telling Beamer to play a different way, that he is to curb the amount he kicks long, and they are possibly telling Rivers not to kick at all, and how they want the team to always give it to Davey across the half back line. All of these and im sure there are more are what i would think are against the grain of there natural decisions.

I like Bailey, I want to see success too and it will take time but im of the belief that some times you just have to let em play!!

I think Morton played his best game for us on the weekend.

When Beamer bombs long, the ball usually comes back twice the speed the other way. We just don't have the marking power yet, nor the top class smalls to turn defenders inside out.

Most teams don't use the long bomb now.

Warnock Garland Cheney

Rivers Martin Petterd

Strauss Moloney Morton

Davey Watts Green

Wona Butcher Maric

Spencer McLean Jones

Every line of this team has a weak-link...comments below:

Warnock: over-rated and being developed because coaches need to hang their hat on something.

Martin: a slow burning experiment that will amount to nothing. Elite football requires some footballing IQ and skill set. if you can;t kick in the modern game you are a liability especially with the occurence of zones etc.

Moloney: Old fashion footballer who would not have made it at Geelong thus the eventual trade. 1 dimensional and limited capabilities. Needs to kick more goals.

Green: Wasn't a dominant player when we were competing in finals and only gets his kicks playing behind the ball in the back half. Doesn't work hard enough without the footy in pushing forward and creating consistent opportunities.

Warnock Garland Cheney

Rivers Martin Petterd

Strauss Moloney Morton

Davey Watts Green

Wona Butcher Maric

Spencer McLean Jones

You'd want Jones and Blease instead of Ploddy McPlodd McLean. He gets slower every week :wacko: Hope he proves me wrong next week, he is one of my favourite players!

Deeflog, no Bate? Did you forget him, or isn't he good enough in your opinion? I'm beginning to have serious doubts about him.

I think he will get left behind by the arrival of Watts and the soon to be arrival of Butcher. Can't mark over his head, can't mark out on a lead with his hands out, every attempt is a chest mark and it marks it far too easy for defenders, and his kicking at goal is not up to scratch either, especially set shots

Warnock: over-rated and being developed because coaches need to hang their hat on something.

Martin: a slow burning experiment that will amount to nothing. Elite football requires some footballing IQ and skill set. if you can;t kick in the modern game you are a liability especially with the occurence of zones etc.

Moloney: Old fashion footballer who would not have made it at Geelong thus the eventual trade. 1 dimensional and limited capabilities. Needs to kick more goals.

Green: Wasn't a dominant player when we were competing in finals and only gets his kicks playing behind the ball in the back half. Doesn't work hard enough without the footy in pushing forward and creating consistent opportunities.

Sorry mate, but I think anyone who does not rate Green at the moment has very little idea, or is pulling comments out of his backside.

I think he will get left behind by the arrival of Watts and the soon to be arrival of Butcher. Can't mark over his head, can't mark out on a lead with his hands out, every attempt is a chest mark and it marks it far too easy for defenders, and his kicking at goal is not up to scratch either, especially set shots

i always liked bate in a midfield type role racking up the posies.

Damn a forward line of Watts butcher wona and one dead eye shot eg. jon anthony or mark williams would be gold. our problem then would be our mids and rucks, but i think we have some likely types in the waiting in strauss, blease and bucks. They would really complement mclean jones and moloney. Now the ruck......

Just remember people we can always trade for a ruck. Hamish may be [censored] at how he was treated by the roos, we could pinch him lol.

Its a fair chance we may have the PSD 1 again too.

BUT please melbourne, lets start winning so we can start topics like. "Who will make way for Grimes"

Sorry mate, but I think anyone who does not rate Green at the moment has very little idea, or is pulling comments out of his backside.

With this [censored], it sounds like it could be both

:lol:

nice drivel you've got there

warnock - watch a tape of the last two games. your reasoning makes no sense

martin - you also need to be able to defend one on one against quick ball movement. on more occasions than one on the weekend he took contested marks in the back 50 against his opponent. tell me the last defender we have had at the club who could do that. he has the physical attributes for it.

moloney - rubbish. he isn't a star but geelong definitely wanted him. they had many of his type and needed ottens. remember in trading you have to give up something to get something. if moloney is the >13/14th player picked in the MFC we'll be a busy side in september.

green - CRAP. do you watch our games?

The idea with all the tam rules, which irk many and sometimes even (endlessly patient) me, is to develop a habit of being aware of what eachother are supposed to be doing, and to have a means of accounting for whether people are in the positions they are expected to be in and doing the things they are expected to do.

Sometimes it is limiting, definately, but the 'natural game' has to be balanced by a 'team brain' and that collective brain has to be taught.

The really painful part is that we are playing team rules designed to suit a superhero CHF when the poor kid is still only learning to cope that that his secret identity is out.

The idea with all the tam rules, which irk many and sometimes even (endlessly patient) me, is to develop a habit of being aware of what eachother are supposed to be doing, and to have a means of accounting for whether people are in the positions they are expected to be in and doing the things they are expected to do.

Sometimes it is limiting, definately, but the 'natural game' has to be balanced by a 'team brain' and that collective brain has to be taught.

The really painful part is that we are playing team rules designed to suit a superhero CHF when the poor kid is still only learning to cope that that his secret identity is out.

At the moment the "poor kid" is Petterd. Its no wonder we have the fewest shots on goal when we are playing him as a key position :lol: :lol:

Watch the last two games...as in last 2 losses?

Try a little objective analysis not subjective....appears you're hanging on too tight champ.

Defenders are marking options now?

You related to Moloney?

The only time I have seen Green play hard ball was last off-season for more $ in his contract...Connolly should of stuck to his guns in my opinion and let him loose...no AFL club was prepared to pay the $ he expected except the suckers at the MFC.

We can all see the backline, It has got Warnock, Frawley, Rivers ect and it's pretty settled.

I can start to see the making of our Forward line to, Watts, Maric, Aussie, Miller, Green (as he gets older) maybe Newton and Jurrah. In a few years this along with other player who will be in it, this will be a very good forward line.

And Midfield, this was my biggest problem but then i started to think Dean Doesn’t want to start from scratch with this line, and why would you when you have Mclean, Molloney, Davey, Morton.

The inclusion of at least another high pick (most likely) at the end of this year, and I can see a very very balanced side in the next few years. With guys like Whelan, Strauss Wheatley, Jetta, Miller, Newton fighting for a spot.

But what does everyone else think? Can you see a prosperous future?

Let's not forget Blease & Grimes. I can see alot of work going into the backline, which is important. The forward line apart from Watts, Maric, Aussie still needs a couple of guns in order to get where we all want them to go. Green will be approaching the end of his tether in 3-4 years, just when things will be heating up. Although I must say, he's body might hold him up for another couple after that, all being well.

The midfield still needs to be tweaked, the introduction of Blease - I can't wait - will be like the first beer after walking into a pub...mouth watering. But we need more 'quality midfielders'....to take us high. Just look at Carlton...(aarrghhh!)

don't forget grimes...

Yep.

NFI.

I would LOVE some of the drugs you are on. Could not be more off the mark with your assessments. Was that genuine or are you trying an yze magic tactic to stimulate discussion? I sincerely hope it's the latter.

i always liked bate in a midfield type role racking up the posies.

Damn a forward line of Watts butcher wona and one dead eye shot eg. jon anthony or mark williams would be gold. our problem then would be our mids and rucks, but i think we have some likely types in the waiting in strauss, blease and bucks. They would really complement mclean jones and moloney. Now the ruck......

Just remember people we can always trade for a ruck. Hamish may be [censored] at how he was treated by the roos, we could pinch him lol.

Its a fair chance we may have the PSD 1 again too.

BUT please melbourne, lets start winning so we can start topics like. "Who will make way for Grimes"

Maric is said to be the most accurate shot from anywhere on the ground accrding to champion data. obviously this was during his school/rep footy days.