MEMO to JARED RIVERS

Cranky Franky

I love Jared Rivers & hope he does well this year but I am concerned that he seems to go out of his way to give a spray to opposition players time after time.

He should concentrate on playing good football & winning games. When he's won a premiership & a B&F then he can go & give as many sprays as he likes.

At the moment he just looks like a goose.

I love Jared Rivers & hope he does well this year but I am concerned that he seems to go out of his way to give a spray to opposition players time after time.

He should concentrate on playing good football & winning games. When he's won a premiership & a B&F then he can go & give as many sprays as he likes.

If you're referring to the incident with Drew Petrie, right after he closelined Jnr, then he is right on the money giving Petrie a spray, it was unruly and stupid, and he was sticking up for his captain.

While he may not have won a flag or a B+F, he is in that exclusive club of Rising Star winners.

As someone who plays his best cricket/basketball/football when he is chatting to and distracting his opponents I take offence.

Jared is loving his footy at the minute, and who cares if he chats a bit?

He's not saying what Brogan is saying, he's just having some fun and planting the seed of doubt in the mind of the opposition.

I don't care how crap or good they are, you stick up for your players and when your on the mark and the opp. miss a goal, kick out of bound on the full or do something worthy of bening sprayed then spray away i say!

Nothing wrong with a bit of banter or sledging or even sticking up for McDonald (skipper) after being clothes-lined, despite not winning a premiership. Just as long as he doesn't overstep the line. Which he hasn't. It's only your view that see's him as a goose.

I'm glad he's back. Add's a bit more mongrel and push and shove to the team to be honest.

Nothing wrong with a bit of banter or sledging or even sticking up for McDonald (skipper) after being close-lined, despite not winning a premiership. Just as long as he doesn't overstep the line. Which he hasn't. It's only your view that see's him as a goose.

I'm glad he's back. Add's a bit more mongrel and push and shove to the team to be honest.

Agroe, it's good to see players getting their close dirty

If you're referring to the incident with Drew Petrie, right after he closelined Jnr, then he is right on the money giving Petrie a spray, it was unruly and stupid, and he was sticking up for his captain.

While he may not have won a flag or a B+F, he is in that exclusive club of Rising Star winners.

No free kick,

No report

No Goal Cost

Well done JR for flying the flag without "going outside" the current rules. what he did was 100% OK and many other players would have given a free and even 50 away as a response. It was right in-front of us and we saw 2 or 3 of the best jumper punches I have seen in a while. Seeing 3-4 melbourne players run at petrie after our captain was layed out was fantastic. Refer 1st 3 points.

LOL are you for real?

When we were uo and running in 05/06, we had a few guys that were enforcers that got in the oppositons face, mentally and physically - Neitz, Rivers, Carroll and Miller being the main guys.

Since the start of 2007, we have been pushed around like school girls and it has been embarrassing.

Seeing Rivers back on the park and annoying the [censored] out of his opponents was a sight for sore eyes. And he can back it up with his toughness as well.

Would love Miller to rediscover his agro as well, though I think he has gone into shell now Neitz isnt there to protect him.

LOL are you for real?

When we were uo and running in 05/06, we had a few guys that were enforcers that got in the oppositons face, mentally and physically - Neitz, Rivers, Carroll and Miller being the main guys.

Since the start of 2007, we have been pushed around like school girls and it has been embarrassing.

Seeing Rivers back on the park and annoying the [censored] out of his opponents was a sight for sore eyes. And he can back it up with his toughness as well.

Would love Miller to rediscover his agro as well, though I think he has gone into shell now Neitz isnt there to protect him.

Miller has never been the same since he was put out for 6 weeks 2? ago

What Rivers did to Petrie displayed a hardness which has been missing for too long at Melbourne. Too long I have wondered where the mongrel had gone. Yes, we have had a few players get a bit angry, push and shove a little but never have we remotely intimidated another side in the last few years. It may only have been a small thing but with a new team of young blokes watching on, I hope it instills a sense of pride in the jumper. I want those blokes who walk out for the MFC to want to bleed for it....I want the opposition to know that they are willing to do so...!!!

Well then, on that note... Go Dees.....

The only memo Jared Rivers needs to receive is the one about NOT GETTING INJURED.

Rivers is the perfect example of how to be tough, not a thug. He displays courage each week, and stands up for his teammates without doing unnecessarily dumb things that will get him suspended.

Thank god he actually retaliated after Junior had his head taken off. We need to show our opponent, and more importantly demonstrate to the youngsters in the team, that we will always protect one another. It gives a strong message of unity to the opposition, and lets the young players know that the older players are there to look after them.

You have to be kidding me?

It would be concerning IF he wasnt an excellent defender and couldnt step up. But at the end of the day, i dont have problem with ANY of our players getting stuck in to the opposition (within reason), as long as they can back it up.

LOL are you for real?

My thoughts exactly YM

But you know when it happened, I think it was 2007 actually, he was being groomed as the next captain of the MFC and I think he was on the front of our membership cards (could be wrong with the year). But he was getting rubbed out ever couple of weeks because of his toughness and a bit of the biffo. I remember reading an article by the MFC saying that Neil had asked Miller to tone it down a bit, and stop getting rubbed out.

Since then, he really has lost alot of his toughness...

Couldn't disagree more. As long as it's within the rules, sledging and verbalising is an absolutely valid and vital way of putting your opposition off in a game. Why else do you think the defenders line up their opponents and bump them before the siren every game? You have to try to get under their skin and mentally disintegrate them. Its' one of the things that made Australia so great in its heyday in the cricket, and one of the things that made some of our best players truly great... None moreso than Voss.

Jared is one of the only ones who looks, from the outside, to always have his opponents' measure when giving them the argy bargy. It's all the things Rivers does off the ball, like this, that set him apart from other MFC players. He was from the beginning a very dyed-in-the-wool footballer and defender. There was nothing "project" about him.

As others have said, if there were another dozen or so demons with his arrogance, maybe we wouldn't be considered a league joke. I'm kind of hoping he turns Watts' ear, as the kid has the talent and now just needs the mindset (and the body).

Just as long as he doesn't go tattooing his surname up and down his spine.... :D