THE GAME - PS4

Stigga

I was there till 3 quater time and clearly Spencer was our best ruckman, conditions didnt suit the talls yet felt Meesen looked alot better that what i have seen and read in previous posts

Cheers for that. Sounds like Spencer will get the nod come Round 1, which is fair enough I think.

1858 - I forgot about Maric! I really thought he showed something late in the year, seems to have that flair and a touch of arrogance about him that we sorely lack, especially in front of goal! He always looks dangerous and as we know he is a beautiful kick! Hope to see him in the side REALLY soon!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o

Is Brock off for a rest or something?

It's amazing how you don't even have to watch a game to know that when we're suddenly getting done, it's because our midfield has gone to sleep. There is no doubt that our biggest weakness is our midfield, and short of Grimes being thrown in there, I can't see how we can fix it in 2009.

Jaded we didnt really have our best in the middle all together at same time Bailey obviousy tried different mixes there some worked and some did not however when you play against a top 4 with experienced mids you will eventually get caught out, sure that bailey will have a learnt alot from these boys and they are mostly boys who played in the mid today

I don't think there is a quick fix. Watts and Jurrah are a long way off. You would like to think Miller and Bate would be our two key forwards with PJ resting up there, with Aussie at their feet. Sylvia will play as a small forward and possibly the likes of Green and Bruce will rotate through there as well. It's not pretty though and I think we can all agree there will plenty of games this year where we struggle to kick a score.

Jared played the whole game, right upto the last play! Tell WJ I'm sorry about the umbrella! It was wet!

about 5800 demons,and probably 600 bulldogs.

Is this fact or estimation, to me it looked like 1000 to 1500.

The ground looks great but they need to put some concrete down in the car park, it was a mud bath, luckily i had HANKOOK tyres on to get me out, anything else and i would still be there :)

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Is this fact or estimation, to me it looked like 1000 to 1500.

The ground looks great but they need to put some concrete down in the car park, it was a mud bath, luckily i had HANKOOK tyres on to get me out, anything else and i would still be there :)

1500,how many cars were in the carpark,5000 to 6500,thats my estimate,1500 i think your selling everyone short there.

Nice touch.

But seriously, a young team with a few missing and injuries during the game, a week after a cyclone game in Cairns, playing in heavy conditions again, holding it even until the last quarter against a top four side at full strength?

Following a decisive win last week, and two narrow losses previously.

Let's not fool ourselves, this has been a pre-season series well above expectations, and we'll be going into the season with a real sense that this year will see much happier times for Demon fans.

It was certainly a positive to have him play a full game. Although I was surprised he squibbed a contest.

He probably has no confidence left in his body.

Courage has always been one of his strengths, so in all likelihood it is just a matter of time before we see it return.

Ryan Larkin (Melbourne media manager) interviewed on SEN:

Injuries to Davey (bruised heel), Petterd (hip) and Bell (suspected broken thumb). Will be assessed during the week. Jared Rivers played a full game and pulled up really well.

Our best players McDonald, Green, Spencer, Bunnell and Jetta.

Turnout was around 4,500.

I left halfway through the last quarter (the rain was getting ridiculous) when Melbourne were a couple of goals down and was surprised to learn that they lost by so much as they were just about the better team up until that point.

I was really impressed with Jetta, Bennell, Spencer, Jones, Moloney and Garland.

Other than that, describe his game? cheers.

He did ok. Had a few of his trademark spoils and linked up a bit. It wasn't a great day to show off one's aerial ability.

Pass mark.

In all honesty todays game what i saw in 3 quarters was very heartening, poor weather yet the ground is first class, here is what i thought from today even though the doggies came out running in the third, was happy with our progress comparing to the last 2 years

Bartram did good things tried hard

Buckley uual run and carry got caught a few times but gains confidence with each hit out

Nathan Jones good effort played on wing at times good pack busting and some long drives

Brock usual yet i feel well under done will gain lots from this run was every where as usual

Bate too short for a key forward and delivery wasnt the best too him tried all day

Miller gave away silly frees but good to see someone stand up for his mates

Rivers played on and off but was there and thats the big plus

Morton looked like he bulked abit more and was very aggressive around the packs i like what i am seeing good future ahead

Frawley tried hard all day looking better all the time

Dunn mainly did a tagging role might just be his role

Ricky Pettard Did plenty right too suggest he will start in round one felt he wass our best till injury

Green usual display looks like he just was going through the motions at times just not wanting to do too much this early in the season

Colin Garland no nonsense footballer does his job well with more time and experience our backs will go well together

Bell did lots good

Brent Moloney, another needing the time on the ground and getting better each time nice long kicks in on a very wet day tried his guts out as usual

Macca what else can you say just tries all day long

Kyle Cheeney did good things is on the improve

Meesen, felt he played his best game to date long way of being number 1 was keen to get on and do his part, tried hard against hudson and minson

Newton leaving this one to others to comment

Bruce went through the motions another looking to round 1 for the serious stuff to start

Stef Martin to be honest didnt see alot of him nor was i looking but did notice him good project in work i feel

Aaron Davey in and under all day lacked support good hands bring on 09

Mathew Warnock gives his all every time and is another improver not shy to flex his muscles looks good around rivers and co

Jetta This guy will be class for us not shy to have a go lacks the endurance at this point will make it

Bennell looks well under done played half back i think liked what i saw got plenty of touches

Jake Spencer First time i have seen this boy live and he is going to make it if injury doesnt slow himdown good performance against Hudsn and minson deserves his shot at number 1 ruck

Mentions to Colin Sylvia good to see him walking around smiling and talking to people in the crowd

Special mention to Jack Watts walked around the ground and was talking to all who said hi to him and special attention to the very young fans he spent extra time talking to, this kid has class all over him love his attitude

On top of the injuries we also had Clint Bartram reported in the final quarter according to afl.com.au.

Melbourne 2.1 (13) 7.3 (45) 10.3 (63) 10.3 (63)

Western Bulldogs 2.7 (19) 5.10 (40) 9.11 (65) 14.17 (101)

GOALS

Melbourne: Green 3, Miller, Jetta, Newton, Davey, McLean, McDonald, Jones

Western Bulldogs: Hill 3, Johnson 2, Higgins 2, Griffin 2, Akermanis, Hahn, Harbrow, Cross, Ward.

BEST

Melbourne: Green, Jones, McDonald, Jetta, Buckley, Garland.

Western Bulldogs: Cross, Gilbee, Griffin, Hill, Boyd, Higgins,

INJURIES

Melbourne: Petterd (corked hip), Bell (suspected broken thumb), Davey (bruised heel)

Western Bulldogs:

Reports: Clint Bartram for making front on contact with Daniel Giansiracusa in the fourth quarter.

Umpires: Kennedy, Mollison, Stewart.

Crowd: 2500 (approx) at Casey Fields

"Dunn mainly did a tagging role might just be his role"

Was also doing some nice things on half forward. Excellent hard get and handpass over his head resulted in the Juice goal IIRC.

The last photo has Dunn and Moloney heading for the bench after half time.

Some photos for the crowd people:

picture039g.th.jpg picture042y.th.jpg picture047d.th.jpg

Edit:

Oh, Laidley and a few of the boys were keen observers as you'd expect.

Re the the last quarter the rain was close to horizontal for the first 15 minutes, blowing to the wing/dogs half-forward.