CARO ON DEAN BAILEY

alpha33

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's disappointing (yet understandable) that Alan Johnson feels the way he does. I hardly think alienating club champions is good PR policy. But then I concede that we can't go pussyfooting around these sorts of issues all the time, or people will continue to use us as a doormat.

Bailey probably wasn't going to castigate him until after he pinched a footy. Surely CJ knows how hard up we are.

Really wanted to go, but the wisdoms have just killed me unfortunately.

Mum's gone in with my ideas (apparently ran in to Bailey in the lift on the way up and gave them to him) but yeah bit dissapointing.

Not sure how much I could've helped, the emails went on about "we need your expertise"...I'm a 21 year old afterschool care employee

Really wanted to go, but the wisdoms have just killed me unfortunately.

Mum's gone in with my ideas (apparently ran in to Bailey in the lift on the way up and gave them to him) but yeah bit dissapointing.

Not sure how much I could've helped, the emails went on about "we need your expertise"...I'm a 21 year old afterschool care employee

and a very experianced one

but yeah, that does suck that u cant go, sorry to hear

Love the fact that Col told him were to go!

I don't care what you all say about Sylvia, definately one of my favourite players, and from meeting him a few times you can tell he really does love the club.

It's amazing what people read into this articles, if they can actually read.

"Colin Sylvia, who reportedly crossed paths with Johnson as he traipsed off the oval, regarded him with some sympathy and advised him to leave."

It's amazing what people read into this articles, if they can actually read.

"Colin Sylvia, who reportedly crossed paths with Johnson as he traipsed off the oval, regarded him with some sympathy and advised him to leave."

Depends how you interpret it, i think it's more like 'sorry mate, but [censored] off'.

I read this article this morning and if anything I'm less impressed with Bailey than I was..

Like mo I can't see how people have misread the exchange between Sylvia and CJ, I think it may be reflective of more than one player that getting away from the MFC might not be a bad idea. Bailey's yelling at CJ and attempt to get him up in front of the players to explain why he was leaving doesn't seem to have gone down that well. That sort of rah-rah stuff doesn't work with modern players, it's not the 80s anymore.

Bit disappointed the article didn't attack what Bailey tried to implement this year. It was just a bit of a puff piece. Was hoping for something a bit harder from Caro, she's usually better than that.

Bailey's yelling at CJ and attempt to get him up in front of the players to explain why he was leaving doesn't seem to have gone down that well. That sort of rah-rah stuff doesn't work with modern players, it's not the 80s anymore.

why not?

i dont think bailey was trying to get anything to "work" because he shouted at CJ once he had already made his decision

btw, did he end up actually having to talk to the playing group or did he just leave

Depends how you interpret it, i think it's more like 'sorry mate, but [censored] off'.

The word "sympathy" can't be misinterpreted. Sylvia obviously felt for CJ, and thought it would be a good idea for him to leave.

I wonder if Bailey made Monaghan, who was under contract, front the whole club and explain why he wants to leave the MFC.

It's disappointing (yet understandable) that Alan Johnson feels the way he does. I hardly think alienating club champions is good PR policy. But then I concede that we can't go pussyfooting around these sorts of issues all the time, or people will continue to use us as a doormat.

Bailey probably wasn't going to castigate him until after he pinched a footy. Surely CJ knows how hard up we are.

The players all have to buy a sherrin of their own and put their name on it. They are then responsible for bringing it to training.

He probably took his own footy with him. I would.

The word "sympathy" can't be misinterpreted. Sylvia obviously felt for CJ, and thought it would be a good idea for him to leave.

I wonder if Bailey made Monaghan, who was under contract, front the whole club and explain why he wants to leave the MFC.

Probably not, but he did name him ( Monaghan ) in the article as someone who had broken a contract.

I read this article this morning and if anything I'm less impressed with Bailey than I was..

Well I hold the opposite view.

Here is a Coach who gives a stuff. He was obviously disappointed that CJ was leaving and that he was going to a club that had twice beaten us to players that we had chased hard ( Warnock and Judd ) and that he was going for nothing. He let his emotions show in front of some of the players. Good on him.

We have put 4 years into Chris and while I accept him leaving and even that we offered him as a trade for the right deal, he has gone to the most vile club in the AFL. They are so vile that despite offering him a fair amount more money than we could they weren't prepared to offer us anything reasonable in exchange. Steal him is their method.

I hope that the other AFL clubs target Carltank players in the future and make life bloody hard for the constant cheats. I know West Coast ,Freo and Port already have them on their list and we can now be added to it.

No matter what level football is played at predominantly it is a sport based around passion. People are involved in footy cause they love it whether it be coaching, playing or umpiring. Clearly in a professional institution like the AFL there is going to be some transition between players and coaching staff for one reason or another, whilst any valued player leaving a club is disenheartening if it is for reasons like seeking better oppurtunity's or returing home it is somewhat understanding. A player leaving for no other reason than money is in my books (and it seems Dean's) purely disgracefull. I can't believe some people are trying to stick up for Chris and condemn Dean's actions. I look forward to Moloney or Jones attempting to knock his block off when we face Carlton in 09.

No matter what level football is played at predominantly it is a sport based around passion. People are involved in footy cause they love it whether it be coaching, playing or umpiring. Clearly in a professional institution like the AFL there is going to be some transition between players and coaching staff for one reason or another, whilst any valued player leaving a club is disenheartening if it is for reasons like seeking better oppurtunity's or returing home it is somewhat understanding. A player leaving for no other reason than money is in my books (and it seems Dean's) purely disgracefull. I can't believe some people are trying to stick up for Chris and condemn Dean's actions. I look forward to Moloney or Jones attempting to knock his block off when we face Carlton in 09.

i find it difficult to see this from both sides...i think maybe the "some people" that u talk of see it in this way:

eg) if you worked for Microsoft and you were proud and passionate, but you felt that they hadnt treated you very well in your four years there and you didnt think that your talents were fully utilised

then suddenly, apple come along promising a better deal and more money; you woud probably happilly move.

for AFL players (unlike at lower levels) it is their employment/business, so if u look at it from that sense maybe it is fair enough for players to want to chase the best deal

im not completely sure where i sit on this issue but maybe if we put ourselves in chris's shoes, we can get a better idea

The players all have to buy a sherrin of their own and put their name on it. They are then responsible for bringing it to training.

He probably took his own footy with him. I would.

I've lost count of how many Eastern Ranges balls me and my mate have taken after they've been kicked over a fence and forgotten about whilst they've been warming up or at training lol

Well I hold the opposite view.

Here is a Coach who gives a stuff. He was obviously disappointed that CJ was leaving and that he was going to a club that had twice beaten us to players that we had chased hard ( Warnock and Judd ) and that he was going for nothing. He let his emotions show in front of some of the players. Good on him.

We have put 4 years into Chris and while I accept him leaving and even that we offered him as a trade for the right deal, he has gone to the most vile club in the AFL. They are so vile that despite offering him a fair amount more money than we could they weren't prepared to offer us anything reasonable in exchange. Steal him is their method.

I hope that the other AFL clubs target Carltank players in the future and make life bloody hard for the constant cheats. I know West Coast ,Freo and Port already have them on their list and we can now be added to it.

That's fair, but if we take it that Sylvia is not the only player who sympathised with CJ's decision, then the coach spraying him infront of the group is hardly going to build any unity, if anything its going to drive a wedge futher between the coach and the players that sympathise with CJ.

I reckon with both Carroll on CJ we've got what we deserved for not trading them during trade week. Carroll was on the outs by that stage, and CJ hadn't re-signed and from the newspaper reports a few weeks ago his management was shopping him around to a few clubs as he was out of contract.

If its true that CJ was being made the scapegoat (and lets be honest, how was CJ of all people the scapegoat for the crap we put up with in 08?), then I don't blame him for wanting to leave, and I don't blame Carlton for wanting to get him on board..

I reckon with both Carroll on CJ we've got what we deserved for not trading them during trade week. Carroll was on the outs by that stage, and CJ hadn't re-signed and from the newspaper reports a few weeks ago his management was shopping him around to a few clubs as he was out of contract.

If its true that CJ was being made the scapegoat (and lets be honest, how was CJ of all people the scapegoat for the crap we put up with in 08?), then I don't blame him for wanting to leave, and I don't blame Carlton for wanting to get him on board..

First, we were not offered anything for either player during trade week.

Second, CJ was not a scapegoat. He actually had his best year for us playing about 10-11 games before being injured.

......................... A player leaving for no other reason than money is in my books (and it seems Dean's) purely disgracefull. .............

Especially when he is walking out on a club that is struggling financially, and will be required to operate on 92.5% of its salary cap in 2009. As I said on another thread, if you compare CJ's decision with Brock McLean's $10k donation to the Debt Demolition initiative, it puts it into perspective from my point of view.

Especially when he is walking out on a club that is struggling financially, and will be required to operate on 92.5% of its salary cap in 2009. As I said on another thread, if you compare CJ's decision with Brock McLean's $10k donation to the Debt Demolition initiative, it puts it into perspective from my point of view.

Perspective, my a#rse!!! A player of CJ's standing in the game could easily be delisted by the club 12 months down the track. If he was offered more money and better terms at another club, of course he should take it.

Any comparison with Brock McLean is ridiculous. One has guaranteed employment in footy for the next 8-10 years, whilst the other could have been out of AFL footy in 12 months.

Good job, Bails.

Not surprised to see the gutless squib take his ball and go home crying.

Should have done a 'Shane Strempel' him.