Pitiful Melbourne Demons are way behind AFL

Guest Chopper

We can expect "improvement" next year as our young guys develop in body and mind. But the reality is Sheehan is correct. We are a long way behind the other 15 teams and any improvement next year may not translate into many more (if any) wins. I think we will be more competitive and not cop so many thrashings but brace yourself for more pain - it is hard to see at this stage who we will finish above.

Exactly Pello, i do not expect a major if any sort of rise next year, I will expect about 6-7 wins if McLean, Moloney, Rivers and the like can play most of the year.

This sounds about right to me also. Somehow I just cant share your faith in the amount of game time we might get from messrs Rivers & Moloney.

We will start to work next year; not mesh magnificently..but we ought to start playing a much more coherent game of footy with much better confidence.

The word "duh" comes to mid when i read that article.

They kicked 1629 points for the season, the lowest return from any team since 1997 (Melbourne again).

1998 we finished 4th on the ladder. I ain't suggesting that will happen, but he's doing what most footy journos do, over-simplifying an issue to write sensationlist crap.

I have watched the team this year probably a lot more than he has, i have seen first hand how bad we are, but wtf does he expect? Boys are playing against Men. Add to that the fact that we have had injuries to senior key players, of course it's going to happen.

I'm not going to excuse what we dished up last weekend, i'd say 90% of the players that took the field had packed up and left the building after our dismal performance v Port. The big thing that worries me about that is that they seemed content to accept that thumping as just another part of a bad season.

Most of our list is young, that imediately puts us behind the rest of the comp, i've accepted that some pain might be following this year, but i remain hopeful that it will turn around at some point. We were bad this year, get over it. I have.

I expect a big improvement next year. I think Bails & Co will have a Huge Pre-season ready to start on October 13. Remember our coach started after the Draft last year. New Fitness People have been assigned. Cam Schwabb will certainly start the Off Field Processes. I am Concerned Mostly about a Major Sponsor & Better Stadium deals. These Must Be sorted. Sheahen told me nothing we all weren't aware of. 2008 was a Train Wreck that we had to have. It's over, good lets move on

I expect a big improvement next year.

We all witnessed a pretty bad year & some very ordinary games. However, I remember some very exciting glimpses of how DB wants us to play & I was very impressed. For me, next year will be exciting & I reckon we will play a good brand of footy & be competitive.

How many we will win howver, will be a mystery.

you guys dont take sheahan,s football analysis seriously do you :rolleyes:

i can juggle stats just as good as a politician

premierships 1938 - 2008

Collingwood 3

Melbourne 10

I rest my case

you guys dont take sheahan,s football analysis seriously do you :rolleyes:

i can juggle stats just as good as a politician

premierships 1938 - 2008

Collingwood 3

Melbourne 10

I rest my case

Well, if you're trying to argue that we weren't crap this year, I'm not sure how much either 1938 or Collingwood has to do with that.

Guest unstable punt
But what he is saying is true.
well he has a short memory like most in the media, true we were absolute CRAPon the last two games but the week before that we beat wet toast, we had 3 rising stars and the backline is really taking shape, Morton will be a star but like all, he judges us by that last game.

Guest melbman

At any time during the season DB could have got the guys to long bomb into the forward line and we probably would have scored allot more frequently but seriously, what is the benefit of practicing a game plan that'll never ever ever win a GF, especially if it is the only plan you have?

The game plan will ultimately click with the guys and then we'll be flying but until then there will be no compromise and they will have to make it work in the face of harsh criticism

Huge pat on the back to DB for having the bollocks to stick with his long term approach when other lesser men would have dropped their bundle long ago through lack of self belief

We will reap the rewards and they will be plenty but until then it will be tears so sit tight and enjoy the ride cos we will deserve every bit of the success when it comes and it will come!

The talk yesterday was that Melbourne might be the weakest AFL team since Fitzroy of 1996. That's a matter of opinion, but a damning sentiment.

A couple of dismal seasons for sure, but for the previous six years we'd have to be pretty bad to top this mob:

Carlton

2002: 16th 3 wins 19 losses 73.13%

2003: 15th 4 wins 18 losses 66.72%

2004: 11th 10 wins 12 losses 81.66%

2005: 16th 4 wins 17 losses 1 draw 75.51%

2006: 16th 3 wins 18 losses 1 draw 74.16%

2007: 15th 4 wins 18 losses 74.44%

A couple of dismal seasons for sure, but for the previous six years we'd have to be pretty bad to top this mob:

Carlton

A team's percentage rather than win/loss is a truer reflection of their competitiveness over a season.

We were shite, end of story.

I can see why people want mud thrown at other teams, but this is only one article.

There have been other articles about how bad other teams have been, but you can't expect Sheahan to write an article covering every rubbish team of the past 5 years.

This article is about the MFC, and it's pretty accurate.

An article like this about the WCFC or Port would be equally as accurate

At any time during the season DB could have got the guys to long bomb into the forward line and we probably would have scored allot more frequently but seriously, what is the benefit of practicing a game plan that'll never ever ever win a GF, especially if it is the only plan you have?

It's not just about "bombing it long" it's about having options up forward and kicking it to them.

Pretty dull article, even taking into accout the fact that it's written for the general footy punter, not for avid Dees fans.

Correct. Tell us something we didn't already know Mike.

Carlton

Maurie, this stat should be sent as a reminder to Mike as to how quickly people forget, including the "great" Mike Sheahan". Not even Fitzroy had a run like this one of Carlton.

Guest melbman
It's not just about "bombing it long" it's about having options up forward and kicking it to them.

True and good point

My point was more to do with not compromising a game plan before it had been mastered by both body and mind and the "bomb it long" was the easiest example I could think of

For instance, if we go with the "bomb it long" example representing a "change in the plan for the sake of scoreboard pride in a game we'd lose anyway". Say for instance DB feels the heat during a pumping and says to the guys "bomb it long to the goals" and the guys say "But you said" cut off by DB with a curt "Don't mind what I said then, do what I say now!!". Then next year he says "Don't bomb it long" and the guys say "But last year you said" cut off by DB with a curt "don't mind what I said last year, do what I'm saying this year!!"

If DB compromises the plan then the guys IMO could never really have faith in him or what he's trying to achieve because of the mental reprieve. They have to suffer to learn in my book and find a way to make it work other than by failing in the hope of a rules relaxation

Or I could just have too much time on my hands :D

cheers

If DB compromises the plan then the guys IMO could never really have faith in him or what he's trying to achieve because of the mental reprieve. They have to suffer to learn in my book and find a way to make it work other than by failing in the hope of a rules relaxation

Do they have faith in the game plan in the first place? Even if perfectly executed is it the best way for this team to play?