Our Trumpeter

heartbeatstrue

Got talking footy with the teller in my local Commonwealth bank. He is best mates with Melbourne's trumpeter, Hugh Dann. Hugh is the guy in the snappy maroon jacket, and he's a passionate MFC supporter. He plays second trumpet to the regular guy, Ari who's not such a big supporter but plays the trumpet well.

Anyway I appreciate Hugh & Ari adding to the culture and atmosphere of our club. And I hope Hugh gets to play for us on that one day in September, before too long. And that he's still playing at the end! My dream anyway... thanks guys!

• 1 year later...

no offense to the guy, and no jab at his playing abilities, but i don't like it. Feels like he's our own snappier dressed version of Joffa. It feels strange at this stage of where melbourne are at to have a guy playing trumpet 20 mins before the game ends. And what was the song that he played at the end? because it wasn't the melbourne song

I know I'll be unpopular for saying so, but I can't stand it! What's the point of having a guy with a velvet jacket and a trumpet play the team song when we've just heard it? I normally have a mate from each team we play against look at me like it's the most retarded tradition in footy. It is pretty naf. It kinda looks like Austin Powers lost his mojo, but learnt how to play the trumpet and thinks maybe that'll help him pull chicks.

no offense to the guy, and no jab at his playing abilities, but i don't like it. Feels like he's our own snappier dressed version of Joffa. It feels strange at this stage of where melbourne are at to have a guy playing trumpet 20 mins before the game ends. And what was the song that he played at the end? because it wasn't the melbourne song

When the trumpeter started playing at 3/4 time, i thought it was more of a way to bring attention to Jimmy's banners that were in the cheersquad, as he stood just under the thanks jimmy banner. The song being like a tribute to Jimmy.

Superman theme...

What if we lost?

Gotta say I wouldn't miss it...

I was amusing myself when I couldn't sleep last night by reading bomberblitz (all 35+ pages of their matchday thread), and someone posted something funny. Along the lines of

"they should pay copyright infringement to John Williams in the amount of $767,000"

I was a little over refreshed by games end but on my way back to the social club to celebrate I bumped into him, He was more than happy to play the whole song for me personally while I recorded it onto my iphone. I would put it on here but not sure how and a little embaressed by my cheering as he played :wub:

Reckon it's a damn good thing and can't see why anyone would need to be negative towards it.

Something different from other clubs. Good work Hugh.

It's a lot more high brow than those out dated ruckles/mascots that just scare the sh!t out of kids!!

Gotta say I wouldn't miss it...

I was amusing myself when I couldn't sleep last night by reading bomberblitz (all 35+ pages of their matchday thread), and someone posted something funny. Along the lines of

"they should pay copyright infringement to John Williams in the amount of $767,000"

Just went on the site, and found a thread about the umpiring. 60% of people reckon it ruined the game and that they would've won had it been fair.

LAWLZ

Yeah the 3/4 time was a bit off i reckon, i don't mind it at the start of the game, even with strange occurrence of themes in recent games. And he is slowly starting to be able to stay in time with the crowds clapping.

I love it, but only pre-game when it is reasonable to play the song.

Failing that, AFTER a win. Not during the song being played over the PA system though, that's naff.

I've not noticed it before a game has ended, but that is arrogance and making an assumption that reflects on all of our supporters.

Don't like that one bit and if I was anywhere near him I'd stuff my sock in his trumpet.

I must admit... I was never much of a fan of the trumpeter's on their inception - I used to think it looked tardy and silly.

But now... I've changed my tune. It has really grown on me and the crowd is getting more into it than ever before! They are BOTH building something strong with their trumpeting and I hope it continues into something MFC Home games are renowned for in years and years to come!

If he could just keep time. Plus after we hear the song threw the speakers then he comes on and, it loses its shine about it then changes beat, clapping changes pace and loses anything special about it. Just the song once would be fine. Either trumpter or CD I dont mind.

God bless both of them. Its a wonderful touch to a win and good on 'em for doing so.

May they play "Its a grand old flag" often and regularly for years to come....starting next year!!!

agree totally