Rd 1 2009

gOLLy

I'd say he's a good old fashioned utility.

Jack of all trades but ace of none!

If he can break even ruck-wise there's no reason he won't be a ruckman though

I'd say Paul Johnson has the ability to become a Hille in Red and Blue, rather than Red and Black. I remember him and the Russian doing a bit of a number on the guy a few weeks back. It really got us into the game against a team that - at the time, was absolutely on fire.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're of similar size and mobility.

PJ is probably bigger as far as baulk goes and has a better kick on him so not out of the question.

Hille was taken in the 99 draft and it's really only been this year where he's stamped himself on more than one game a month

That's definitely true. As an Essendon supporter, it must have been frustrating at times to see a big guy with a lot of potential not consistently doing what you knew he could. It's fair to say the Dons aren't exactly my favourite side in the world, but David Hille, Alwyn Davey, Andrew Lovett and, until recently, James Hird are always guys I love to watch play.

I'm proud to say I liked David Hille before he was good.

Followers: M.Jamar

Emg. R.Warnock

Why on earth would we put all the effort in to securing Warnock and then play him as an emergency to Jamar? :blink:

If Grimes and Maric can't make the starting 22 next year, our recruiting or development has failed, maybe both.

Guest unstable punt
B: Whelan, Martin, Garland

HB: C. Johnson, Rivers, P. Johnson

C: Bruce, Buckley, Moloney

HF: Green, Miller, Sylvia

F: Davey, Watts, Wonameiri

FOLL: Warnock, Mclean, Jones

INT: Frawley, Mcdonald, Jamar, Petterd

You will notice i have 3 ruckman on the field. The reason being i dont see P. Johnson as a ruckman, Hes not tall enough, and doesnt get many taps. Id love to see him using his height to crash packs and defence.

Missing are Bate and Robbo. They need some time in the 2's ;)

and Wheatley?

1 of them hasn't played footy for over a year and a half, one is an awesome (if injury prone forward) but lets face it, that hasn't helped Carlton in the last 7 years has it?

And you've probably never seen Watts play a game, and certainly have never seen him play AFL.

We're going to need a massive churn again at the end of the year if we're to have any hope of ever playing finals again.

And if Watts is 1/3 of the star lineup set to let us "have a crack" next year, why wouldn't he be on the ground?

1 of them hasn't played footy for over a year and a half, one is an awesome (if injury prone forward) but lets face it, that hasn't helped Carlton in the last 7 years has it?

And you've probably never seen Watts play a game, and certainly have never seen him play AFL.

We're going to need a massive churn again at the end of the year if we're to have any hope of ever playing finals again.

And if Watts is 1/3 of the star lineup set to let us "have a crack" next year, why wouldn't he be on the ground?

Your flogging a dead horse. Ive got my thoughts and you have yours.

• 1 month later...

Okay, the side to beat North in round 1, if we have no injuries.

B Garland Warnock Whelan

HB Green Rivers C Johnson

C Wheatley Bruce Morton

HF Davey Miller Bate

F Aussie Robertson Sylvia

Foll Jamar McLean Jones

INT J McDonald Buckley Moloney P Johnson

Emerg Petterd Grimes Dunn

Bartram, Frawley, Maric and picks 1, 17 and 19 all unlucky.

Okay, the side to beat North in round 1.

FB: Whelan Warnock Garland

HB: Petterd Martin Grimes

C: Morton Moloney Green

HF: Sylvia Rivers Davey

FF: Wonaeamirri Miller Maric

Foll: PJ McLean Valenti*

Int: Jamar Buckley Bate Bruce

Emergency: Jones Dunn Newton

*Pending promotion from Rookie List.

NOTE: This is assuming that Robertson isn't quite ready.

EDIT: I forgot about McDonald.

B: Whelan Martin Garland

HB: Rivers Warnock Frawley

C: Morton Mclean Grimes

HF: Sylvia Miller Davey

F: Maric Newton Bate

Foll: PJ Buckley Bruce

Int: Spencer/Meesen Dunn Green Moloney

Emg: Wonaeamirri McDonald Pick 17 CJ

Robbo is not due back until mid 2009.

Valenti wont get promoted.

Jones comes into the 22 and replaces Moloney. Bruce into the starting team in the midfield. McDonald replaces Moloney.

Jamar will start in the ruck.

Rivers unlikely to be fit (hope thats wrong) and replaced by Bate.

Picks 1,17 and 19 highly unlikely to debuts until mid season at best.

FB: Whelan Warnock Garland

HB: Petterd Martin Green

C: Morton McLean Grimes

HF: Sylvia Bate Davey

FF: Wonaeamirri Miller Maric

Foll: Jamar Bruce Jones

Int: PJ Buckley Junior Moloney

Emergency: Frawley Dunn CJ

Rivers Warnock Whelan

Wheatley Garland Green

Morton Jones Buckley

Bruce Bate Davey

Wona Miller Sylvia

Jamar Mclean Moloney

CJ, PJ, Macca, Petterd

emg: Bartram, Martin, Grimes

Naturally if Robbo is fit, hopefully, he will slot into FF.

Rivers to zone off on his player as much as possible, and most importantly just get his AFL touch back on the 3rd tall.

With Mclean and Moloney back in the starting 22 I want to see Bruce be placed as much as possible in the forward line.

I really want Petterd and CJ to push for continued selection next season, both have the talent desired.

Jamar to play majority of ruck and PJ to help out forward while we still don't have Robbo.

Whelan Warnock Petterd

Dunn Martin Wheatley

Bate Morton Buckley

Green Garland Davey

Wonna Miller Bruce

Foll: Jamar McLean Sylvia

Int: McDonald PJ, Maric, Maloney

Emergencies: Grimes CJ Bell

Assumed still injured: Robertson Rivers

Assume no immediate 'ins' from 08 drafts.

Sylvia and Davey to develop big engines beginning Oct 08, else Sylvia trade at end 09 along with a few others.

B - Whelan Martin Warnock

HB - Buckley Rivers Green

C - Morton Moloney Davey

HF - Maric Miller Bate

F - Sylvia Garland Woneamirri

R - Naitanui McLean Jones

IC - McDonald Wheatley P.Johnson Grimes

Emer - C.Johnson Petterd Dunn

B - Whelan Martin Warnock

HB - Buckley Rivers Green

C - Morton Moloney Davey

HF - Maric Miller Bate

F - Sylvia Garland Woneamirri

R - Naitanui McLean Jones

IC - McDonald Wheatley P.Johnson Grimes

Emer - C.Johnson Petterd Dunn

I don't see it happening YM. As much as I think he would make a good forward, and he's played there before, he's done so well for us in defence that he should be kept there now. Let him and Martin and Warnock and Rivers etc. gel together and become a defensive unit, rather than a rabble.

I don't see it happening YM. As much as I think he would make a good forward, and he's played there before, he's done so well for us in defence that he should be kept there now. Let him and Martin and Warnock and Rivers etc. gel together and become a defensive unit, rather than a rabble.

We have lots of potential backs but need to find a forward. Right now, looking into 2009 there is no KPF. Newton has pretty much failed to date. One of Garland, Rivers, Martin or Warnock will need to play forward if we have no injuries. Garland is the best choice ATM.

We have a forward option..............BUT he is 2 to 3 years away from being a consistant reliable forward. His name is JACK WATTS

IMO PJ has far too much ability & potential to be left out of the starting 18. With his size & mobility could easily develope into a key forward, just needs to believe in himself