MEMORIAL - Match Review v Cats

Guest TheVoice

Guest TheVoice

The umpiring was abysmal tonight.

We were terrible, 2nd to the ball and clumsy but . . . . aaaaaarrrrrrrhhhhhhh can't those white maggots get it right! Here are some examples of the shizen they

dished out.

* Tom harleys deliberate out of bounds not given in our forward pocket. If it was us you could guarantee it

* Valenti's head ripped off and paid free and barely had the upire paid advantage than he was tackled and lost possession.

* Bartel free kick and goal at throw in against CJ although replay showed Bartel was clearly the only one holding

* Selwood dives on a ball & holds in only to be tackled by 2 demons. Maggot calls ball up. Cats get goal.

* Buckley given holding the ball when not even having a chance to take possession of the ball in centre.

* Dunns body work against Gablett in backline results in free kick and goal.

Can't possibly convince anyone that these free kicks cost us the game, but gee they add a bit of wood to the fire when you are copping a fair dinkum

reaming from the top side.

I actually thought it was good. There were only two complaints. I thought Gary Ablett was given an eternity to dispose of the ball, and there was an 'in the back" not paid to Valenti when the other guy just fell right on top of him in the 3rd quarter. But other than that I thought it wasn't too bad.

Guest TheVoice
Why bother ???

I'll tell you why. Cause even though we are being bent over by a soon to be 2 time premiership side, I just like to see those idiots do their job right! Cause one

day, when the game is in the balance and we are a chance to win, they just might get the interpretation of the rules right and let the game play out on its merits.

The umpiring was abysmal tonight.

Made what was an appalling spectacle from a Melbourne point of view worse. Far to many frees paid for incindental cotact.

Add to your list a high tackle paid to Selwood where he tried to slip a Whelan tackle and the 50 paid to Geelong in the last where Prismal? instigated a fight.

MEMORIAL by Whispering Jack

When Thomas Wentworth Wills sat down to pen the rules for the new game of Australian Rules football he could have hardly imagined that he was setting the scene for the fiasco of a contest that would mark the 150th anniversary of the sport he invented and which was first played at Yarra Park, roughly in the same ball park as that which hosted last night's game between the game's first two clubs – Melbourne and Geelong. That first game lasted three weeks; last night's performance lasted two and a half hours but it seemed like three weeks.

Fittingly, the two teams came out attired in the fashionable style of 19th century footballers but unfortunately for the hardy crowd of supporters who came to see the home side, their team played the game in a style much as you would expect from a bunch of half fit out of season cricketers from that era, while the visitors from across the bay, performed as a professional, well drilled outfit of the modern day. The gulf between the teams appeared to be exactly 150 years.

On the evidence of this game, there was little wonder why the powers that be who run our sport decided to snub the historic occasion and fled instead to watch the Olympics in smog-filled Beijing. Ironical too, because back in the days when our game was being conceived, thousands of residents from that land were arriving in our own fledgling colony searching for new fortunes in the form of the gold that was being mined in the bushland outside Melbourne. History records that they didn't bother to embrace our sport in any great numbers. Perhaps they had a premonition about last night's game!

To be fair, Geelong was not all that far from its full strength and is, after all, the raging favourite to win the premiership this year while Melbourne was young, inexperienced and a team that has been ravaged by injury over the past two years. There is no need to conduct a roll call of those missing from its best side to gain an appreciation of how deep a cut has been caused to the team's fibre by the numbers of those missing in action. Many of those who are left are lacking in body size and strength necessary to take on the best side in the land in the cold wet conditions that prevailed during the game. They need time.

Plenty of time!

The result was that Geelong managed to amass 24 goals to five on a damp night and almost held Melbourne scoreless for an entire first half which is not such an unusual result given that, for large slabs of that eminently forgettable hour, both sides seemed to be heading in the direction of the same goals. The difference was that the Cats were attacking theirs, while the Demons were aimlessly seeking to defend who knows what?

The ultimate embarrassment came with Melbourne's first score – a point that was recorded 9 minutes into the second quarter as a result of a fumble across the goal line by Geelong defender Josh Hunt. The first goal from Austin Wonaeamirri came after a few squandered attempts. By then, the visitors had already booted their first ten and we were already 24 minutes and 13 seconds into the quarter. Along the way, Melbourne players committed every sin in the football handbook: they struggled to get the ball but when they did, they used it poorly, made some shocking decisions, they fumbled, dropped marks, kicked often directly to unmarked opponents, tackled without conviction and generally failed to man up on their opponents.

On the other hand, Geelong's performance was sublime although, in effect, it was more of a training drill than a sporting contest and the 34,610 fans who braved the conditions would have a fair case for demanding their money back – even those who got in on freebies.

AS for the umpires, they were able to match Melbourne pound for pound for ineptitude and incompetence. Thanks for putting the icing on the cake and reminding us of the bushranger heritage and tradition of our state, Messrs. Donlon, Kennedy and Ryan!

What can one say about the oldest club in the world after a week in which it launched a massive fund raising campaign to save itself from extinction? The Demons have a difficult battle on their hands to right the ship both on and off the field but as far as their future as a team is concerned, there were still some faint glimpses of hope among the gloom of the night.

Youngsters Addam Maric and Shane Valenti worked their butts off all evening against bigger, stronger and more experienced opponents and there was a lot to like from the displays of two young embattled defenders in Stefan Martin and James Frawley. Irrespective of the result, this game would have provided a learning experience for Bailey's young side that will hold it in good stead for years to come. If they can learn from the way in which Geelong found space, moved the ball to its advantage and never stopped running, then one day, the wheel will start turning for the Demons.

It would be remiss of me to omit to mention the contribution of Matthew Whelan who was fantastic against the odds in defence. He set an example not only for his younger team mates but also for some of the veterans who are surely on their last legs at the club. Cameron Bruce, Nathan Carroll and Brad Green also worked hard against the odds.

Last night's game was played in honour of Tom Wills and nicely ended a week in which alcohol tore apart one old football club and another went to its supporters with begging cup in hand to ensure its survival. Wills died in 1880, an isolated, destitute alcoholic, after stabbing himself in the heart. The scene that was played out yesterday evening at the MCG was therefore a fitting memorial to the most important Australian sportsman of the time.

Melbourne 0.0.0 1.3.9 2.6.18 5.11.41

Geelong 8.5.53 12.7.79 19.10.124 24.13.157

Goals

Melbourne Valenti 2 C Johnson P Johnson Wonaeamirri

Geelong Lonergan Stokes 4 Prismall 3 G Ablett Bartel Ling Mackie 2 Blake Gamble S Johnson Mooney Selwood

Best

Melbourne Whelan Maric Martin Bruce Valenti Frawley

Geelong Mackie Ling Selwood Corey Scarlett Prismall

Injuries

Melbourne McDonald (wrist) Wonaemirri (ankle)

Geelong Blake (elbow)

Reports Nil

Changes

Melbourne Jamar - ill replaced in selected side by White

Umpires Donlon Kennedy Ryan

Crowd 34,610 at the MCG

Imagine our team in about 3-4 years time, when our better younger players have all played together for about 100 games, and we have weeded out a few layers from our list that can't cut it, and replaced them with some capable youngsters acquired form the draft, and the majority of our team our around 25 years old and weigh about an extra 5-10 kg heavier, and they are all fit and firing.

Now match that team up against the team we put out there last night, what do you think the margin would be?

Just some food for thought.

If they can learn from the way in which Geelong found space, moved the ball to its advantage and never stopped running, then one day, the wheel will start turning for the Demons.

History tells us that things can change quickly and unexpectedly.

Geelong's first quarter effort was bettered by their first quarter v Melbourne in 1938.

Who do you think won the grand final the following year?

Guest Stalwart

I have never posted on a forum before regarding the Melbourne football Club

I appologise to all other Melbourne supporters who come here, for this being my first post.

That the first post I have to submit is one that I never thought I would write about the Melbourne football Club

I have been a Melbourne Supporter for over 50 years now

My 3 children have been bought up to Barrack for the Demons. And until last night regardless of what I had been through, with all the ups and downs of being a Melbourne supporter I had never felt as Embarressed to say that I was a Melbourne Supporter as what I was after last nights debacle against Geelong.

I have seen Melbourne get flogged before I have gringed at some of our losses and cried at others

But last night I just wanted to hide.

I know all the excuses, their a young side, inexperienced, they will learn from this etc etc

For me in this instance it just doesnt wash

Last night I saw a Team berift of courage, of pride in the Melbourne Football Jumper, none of us like getting flogged

but we can live with it, if we think our team at least tried. Last night this did not happen

After a week when Jim Stynes & Brock Mclean showed what it ment to have the Melbourne football club at heart

I expected more from the players on field then what we got last night.

I will continue obviously to support Melbourne, but last night will remain with me for a long time, Ticker is a magic word.

Last night the Melbourne Football players had no magic, my sons under 16 team shows more heart each weekend then what the players did last night.

Once again I appologise to all supporteres for my post but based on last nights performance the Melbourne football club has a long way to go and it going to be a long hard road back, not only to gain respect of the football world but also to pay back all of those who put themselves out there for the Melbourne Football club, the supporters, who without there would be no Melbourne football club.

I hope some of the Melbourne Players read this post and understand how, not only did they let themselves down last night

But also the Club and most of all Us the Supporters.

It was bad timing, but the fact is we are playing one of the very best sides ever and our team is missing it's 4 best forwards, 2 best mids and 2 best backman. There's deadwood replacing them. We were always going to get wrecked, and I'm used to guys like Bate, Syliva, White, Carroll not showing ticker and young guys like Morton and Buckley let their men run rampant.

Stating the obvious.

I hope every Melbounre player is given a copy of the game last night to show them who to play as a team. I don't know if it has to do with Bailey coming out to say all players will know their future before the end of the season but we played selfish footy last night. The token sheppards and blocks we laid were a joke we would rather leave our team mate looking for the cheap over the top hand ball than make space to them. Geelong at every stage play as a team and help each other out. Until we can get that selfish front running culture out of our club we will continue to struggle against good teams.

I agree.

Never will I stop supporting or being a member of the club, but it is the dismal disappointing performances such as last night that forever live on as low points.

1996 was the worse I've felt - the thought of seeing your club 'die', but they fought and lived. Last night was a true indication that the players were less motivated,

'no ticker' so you call it. I too was embarressed. I've had to constantly fend of those sitting with me wanting to go home early all year as they have had enough of this circus.

Last night was just as bad - only difference was the complaining started 5 minutes into the first quarter. I sit there and wonder how an elite AFL club can play so poorly.

Yes, they are young and rebuilding - but there was no sign of hard ball gets, determination, chasing down your man, one on one footy. On the flip side, I know Melbourne

can turn it around - whenever it will be. I'll just hang in there for the ride and see where this journey takes me - hopefully into September 2009.

History tells us that things can change quickly and unexpectedly.

I've just been reading the tributes in the middle pages of the Herald Sun's Sports section to Andrew McLeod who plays his 300th game tomorrow. He was thrown into the deep end when his father took him as a youngster from Darwin to Adelaide to play for the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL. He was picked up by Adelaide on a trade with Fremantle which was putting together its first squad on entry into the AFL.

This is how McLeod went on debut (v Melbourne in Round 6, 1995):

1 kick, 3 handballs

Two years later he was best and fairest in Adelaide's first premiership side and won the first of two consecutive Norm Smith Medals. He was in their premiership team in 1998 and made All Australian that year as he has done four more times (captain in 2007).

All that from a debut of 1 kick and three handballs.

Yes, things can change quickly in this game and it's going to be interesting see how some of our young blokes go next time we take on the Cats.

I have never posted on a forum before regarding the Melbourne football Club

I appologise to all other Melbourne supporters who come here, for this being my first post.

That the first post I have to submit is one that I never thought I would write about the Melbourne football Club

I have been a Melbourne Supporter for over 50 years now

My 3 children have been bought up to Barrack for the Demons. And until last night regardless of what I had been through, with all the ups and downs of being a Melbourne supporter I had never felt as Embarressed to say that I was a Melbourne Supporter as what I was after last nights debacle against Geelong.

I have seen Melbourne get flogged before I have gringed at some of our losses and cried at others

But last night I just wanted to hide.

I know all the excuses, their a young side, inexperienced, they will learn from this etc etc

For me in this instance it just doesnt wash

Last night I saw a Team berift of courage, of pride in the Melbourne Football Jumper, none of us like getting flogged

but we can live with it, if we think our team at least tried. Last night this did not happen

After a week when Jim Stynes & Brock Mclean showed what it ment to have the Melbourne football club at heart

I expected more from the players on field then what we got last night.

I will continue obviously to support Melbourne, but last night will remain with me for a long time, Ticker is a magic word.

Last night the Melbourne Football players had no magic, my sons under 16 team shows more heart each weekend then what the players did last night.

Once again I appologise to all supporteres for my post but based on last nights performance the Melbourne football club has a long way to go and it going to be a long hard road back, not only to gain respect of the football world but also to pay back all of those who put themselves out there for the Melbourne Football club, the supporters, who without there would be no Melbourne football club.

I hope some of the Melbourne Players read this post and understand how, not only did they let themselves down last night

But also the Club and most of all Us the Supporters.

Thank u for this post, saved me writing it, hope the players do read it. i have never been so embarrassed in my life at a game of footy, even geelong fans weren't riping in to us, they were embarrassed for us too, i even saw geelong fans consoling dees fans at the end of the game. i know all the arguements about us being a young side, and lets face it, geelong are amazing, but that performance was inexcusable. i really hope we can get out of this, confidence will be at an all time low.

Go Dees

I just don't understand how 22 grown men can come out and serve that crap up when some of the club's most influential supporters have made a siginificant monetry contribution to the club.

I watched every second of the game on TV and like everyone else it was cringeworthy, however as Geddy Lee said there were a number of factors that contributed. I have added some more.

They are the best side in the AFL.

They are physically far stronger than us.

They are far more experienced than us.

They have enormous self belief in each other.

They are more talented than us.

Their team was close to full strength, we were missing many of our best players.

We played a number of youngsters.

It was wet and that helps the stronger and more skilful sides.

They are four weeks away from the finals and we are playing out the year.

They backed themselves, with a player always running to space in the forward line for the turnover, which came often.

Their team has been settled for the year and ours has been disjointed through injury.

Our younger players are tiring after a long and disappointing year.

Our ball skill fell away under relentless pressure.

They beat the second best side the Bulldogs by 10 goals this year.

They beat the second best side in the Grand Final by 20 goals last year.

Etc, etc,etc.

Losing like that doesn't we mean we didn't try, it just means they were a hell of a lot better.

If I played Federer I wouldn't win a point but it wouldn't mean I wasn't trying. Same thing last night.

They are four weeks away from the finals and we are playing out the year.

In reality this sums it up. Im sure no Melbourne supporter relishes a defeat such as last night, but despite the hoopla of the historical significance ( which was shame none the less ) it really mattered not. Unpalatable yes.. consequential ? Probably not. dare I agree with another poster who suggested the percentage will "help'.

We go out terribly undermanned and with nothing to really gain.. they go out for a training run. Its not the end of the world, but it is a week closer to the end of the season, an end that really cant come quick enough. 2008 was dead andburied months ago, sad but true. Lets get to the end...have our cleanout..recruit some guns ( in the making ) .. rebuild the mental fabric of the club and start afresh. RIP 2008

I agree with the title thread.

We, as supporters, need to show moral fibre, courage and ticker.

If we demand it of our players we must also demand it of ourselves.

I just showed plenty of courage and ticker by consuming a large bowl of fibre for breakfast.