I’d rather Demons die than move: Barassi

The HuLK

This after he said the "league" was more important than the "clubs".

Still though, I agree with him. While I'd probably support another team because I love football if Melbourne died, I'd rather them die than move somewhere else and be known as someone else.

Yep, i'd prefer the club to go under before it would merge or re-locate.

If Melbourne were to die (god forbid), i know i wouldn't follow another AFL team. While i love the game, i will only ever support one team. I would probably support Sandy, through the strong alliance that was formed, or maybe even Prahran should it ever return to the VFA.

Totally agree with Ronald Dale. Still doesn't make it feel any easier when i remember back to watching Ron Coach the '77 North Flag with Stan Alves & "Crackers" That should have been a melbourne Flag. It cut me up & Ime still Waiting...

The night of the merger at the dallas brooks hall mister Barassi and I had words, I dont regret saying them as for the life of me I still cant understand how ANYBODY can play and coach against the club they profess to love. Maybe Im just thick or something but if you love a team its forever not until some other team offers you more money.

That being said I believe if we were to fold we just pack our bags and go to a lesser league-VFL,EDFL even back of bourke under 5 but we will still be the DEES. OUR NAME, OUR GAME, OUR TEAM.

The night of the merger at the dallas brooks hall mister Barassi and I had words, I dont regret saying them as for the life of me I still cant understand how ANYBODY can play and coach against the club they profess to love. Maybe Im just thick or something but if you love a team its forever not until some other team offers you more money.

That being said I believe if we were to fold we just pack our bags and go to a lesser league-VFL,EDFL even back of bourke under 5 but we will still be the DEES. OUR NAME, OUR GAME, OUR TEAM.

I think you'll find that Barass has footy as his number one love, Melbourne is also high up on the list but the game itself is what drives him. Nothing wrong with that either.

Many years ago a mate of mine was his chief at his pub in Richmond, I spent many a night there drinking with my mate into the early hours of the morning and the great man & his partner would often come and join us. The guy is a living legend of the game and it's obvious how much he loves it, I don't blame him for leaving at all, he wanted to get to get the most out of his career as he possibly could, it's just that that meant he had to leave to prove himself elsewhere. I still believe that his greatest work was done up in Sydney though, the way he promoted the club to the Sydney siders paved the way for their ultimate success.

My sentiments exactly.

Well done Barrass. Glad you've shifted your position from '96.

We will not die.

We will not let it happen

My blood stirs when I read comments like these. Its pure emotion. Red & Blue emotion. :wub:

What made my blood boil, on KB's show this morning on SEN was KB's questionning and lack of understanding of Barrassi doing a "back flip", that he'd rather see the MFC die than relocate. KB's opinion was that Barrassi has got it all wrong.

Many Melbourne supporters rang up in support of Barrassi's view. Which warmed my heart. You see, what Barrasi wants is Melbournefc to survive, not die. Survive at all costs - as our club, MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB is the original club of the AFL and he feels it is extremely imprortant for the AFL to keep that tradition and history, it is paramount in his view for the Mfc to remain it's own entity in the City Of Melbourne. So, relocation is not an option.

KB missed the importance and overall picture of Barassi's view. If there was a relocation this club's spirit and foundations and history so rich in tradition would erode. It's vital for the club and its members and supporters and more importantly for the AFL, that it survives.. FULL STOP.

And I totally agree with Barrass. Go Dees! For he is Melbourne through and through.

Understandable - I said the same thing.

I'd also rather Demons die than move.

Kind of seems like double standards to me

FWIW I thought North should've relocated last year, but when this [censored] acually happens to your own club you do appreciate what North fans went through.

I'd take a relocation over dying purely to see McLean, Bate, Davey playing in the same team for a few more years. After that who knows?

Guest TheVoice
My blood stirs when I read comments like these. Its pure emotion. Red & Blue emotion. :wub:

What made my blood boil, on KB's show this morning on SEN was KB's questionning and lack of understanding of Barrassi doing a "back flip", that he'd rather see the MFC die than relocate. KB's opinion was that Barrassi has got it all wrong.

Many Melbourne supporters rang up in support of Barrassi's view. Which warmed my heart. You see, what Barrasi wants is Melbournefc to survive, not die. Survive at all costs - as our club, MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB is the original club of the AFL and he feels it is extremely imprortant for the AFL to keep that tradition and history, it is paramount in his view for the Mfc to remain it's own entity in the City Of Melbourne. So, relocation is not an option.

KB missed the importance and overall picture of Barassi's view. If there was a relocation this club's spirit and foundations and history so rich in tradition would erode. It's vital for the club and its members and supporters and more importantly for the AFL, that it survives.. FULL STOP.

And I totally agree with Barrass. Go Dees! For he is Melbourne through and through.

I was listening to the same tripe High one. My blood was boiling and language flowing at the radio at the pure crap coming out of KB and some golf expert who,

you guessed it, supports the filth. They thought it selfish and shallow minded to want to fold rather than merge or relocate. What 'the filth' clown couldn't

understand was that he will never be in a position to know the feelings that are associated with such a threat.

If the club cannot survive in its current form ( I don't mean with record debt and abysmal onfield performance ) then the club ceases to exist for me. I don't

believe that we will fold, but if faced with it, I would walk away from AFL as I would have no passion left for the game without the MFC. If people can't understand

that then that is their problem. Don't try to label me selfish for loving my club. Go Deeboys!

How Much of Fitzroy lives on through the Brisbane Lions??? Bugger all that's how much. A Dead Fitzroy Carcas was put on the back of a ute & Driven to Brisvegas back in the '90's. If The M.F.C ever was forced to re-locate then it would cease to be the Melbourne Demons Period. And The A.F.L. would never get another cent out of me...K.B i think i disagree with everything that spews from his little righteous mouth. "The one who ith never wrong" i Hated him when he played!!! so much

Guest glory years

I suggest those in this thread read the forum item on Froggy Crompton's jumper before affording Barassi any icon status...........................................

Guest meccamike
Questioning Barassi's iconic status at the MFC because of hearsay about a stolen jumper?

That's right - the jumper was never delivered. There's plenty of evidence regarding authenticity, continuity of ownership and witnesses to B taking possession. So you tell me - who is the big collector? me ? No - I handed it over , as witnessed by many. Where is it? Hearsay - hardly.

Sounds like it may be more difficult for more than one person to face their demons.......

That's right - the jumper was never delivered. There's plenty of evidence regarding authenticity, continuity of ownership and witnesses to B taking possession. So you tell me - who is the big collector? me ? No - I handed it over , as witnessed by many. Where is it? Hearsay - hardly.

Sounds like it may be more difficult for more than one person to face their demons.......

Meccamike, I have read your comments here and on the other thread and to be honest I am not totally comfortable with your approach.

I genuinely feel that you do not want to have this dragged through a legal process to establish the jumpers whereabouts, as you have stated, but to come on a public forum, 40 odd years after the event, and paint the picture that you are, can be damaging and upsetting.

Maybe your motive in doing so is to get it into the public domain (media) I don’t know.

I would be curious to know however, what efforts you have made to speak with Ron regarding this, either in person or via the club.

Did you speak to the “right” person at the club, regarding memorabilia when you made your enquiry.? It could be tucked away in a box somewhere.

Either way there is only one person that can give an insight into this, speak to him, before discrediting him further on here.

Contact Ron Personally before you take this any further. Ronald Dale was part of six Flags at this club. Tread Carefully where you go, maybe you should have delivered the Jumper to the club personally. Involving a 3rd person always makes things a little more blurry....