Melbourne sign Frawley, Garland, Jones, Petterd, Bate and Newton

w00dy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I momentarily felt sick when I read that Newton had been signed for two years. Our lack of young KP forwards saved his sorry arse.

Have to agree with ya H. Time to step up Juice! Fantastic news re all the others. Is Bell outta contract ?? He is playing for his career at Melbourne today IMO

I'll join in the chorus - not sure why we'd keep someone who seems to add so little regardless of the time put in to him. Then CJ is starting to produce so maybe the same with MN? THat's all I can figure - that paying him peanuts may allow him time to shape up and if not then we lose relatively little.

i thought they couldnt be traded at all in the first year of their contract? because they have to agree to it any time you try and trade them...(thus ferguson said no).

i can't understand why everyone hates juice. he is a young key forward who kicks a few goals and needs more time to develop. we are giving him more time. he has played 14 games. give him a chance.

No one hates him. He has been at the club for 4? years and just 14 games. And many of us, including me, don't think he "has" it.

That said, basic pay (I hope) for a coupla years is probably neither here nor there.

I'm a bit disappointed. 4 years in the system and hasn't made an impact. Doesn't do any of the team things.

I'm not. For starters, he's had an injury ravaged year, so physically he hasn't been at his best. He was recruited as a bottom age player, so he has plenty of physical and mental development left in him.

But more importantly, from a list management perspective, who would be our key forwards next? Miller and a questionable Robertson. If you want to be a competitive side, you have to at least have some structure about your list.

No signing of Sylvia yet, hmmmm........

It does make you wonder, doesn't it.

I'm really pleased to see that Bails has pledged his faith in Juice. He's been much maligned and has not delivered to anywhere near his natural abilities. However, given an uninterrupted preseason and some good delivery next year I think he will be good for us.

And I'm rapt to see Petterd given another two years. I wish it were three....

No one hates him. He has been at the club for 4? years and just 14 games. ...

which is the perfect reason to keep him on. he was young and immature when he was drafted. he is slowly developing but has many traits that could make him a good long term prospect. allow him time to develop. he was always a speculative pick and never expected to step in and dominate.

Anyone know the status of the two Johnsons?

CJ signed a new 2-year deal last year. Not sure about PJ.

By the way, there is nothing stopping us from trading Newton (he has to agree of course, but he'd be an idiot to stay if we offered him up for trade). In fact, him being contracted is better for us as it means he can't leave for nothing.

Very happy about the other signings.

Anyone know the contract status of Moloney?

Yes Newton hasnt been playing well, but the criticisms of him on this site are really over the top. The current flaws in his game are easily fixable in my opinion, he has the raw talent underneath. Not all key position players can have the impact of a Neitz, franklin or reiwoldt so early in their career. Im not so worried about the two years.

On Petterd, id say its a formality that he will go home to GC17. Going to be tough to stomach but we should prepare for it.

Players cannot be traded without their approval within the first year of a contract.

I thought it was players cannot be traded without their approval FULL STOP.

If you're under contract, you can say 'No, i don't want to go to Hawthorn, I want to fight for my spot' and clubs can't force them.

Happy with the 5 but as for MN, some people have all the luck.

i can't understand why everyone hates juice. he is a young key forward who kicks a few goals and needs more time to develop. we are giving him more time. he has played 14 games. give him a chance.

It's the same people that hated Garland. Having watched a fair bit of Newton at Sandringham I'm confident that once he kicks a bag for Melbourne he'll start believing in himself and become a special player.

The endless bagging of Newton never ceases to amaze me. He will be a very fine AFL player, and I am glad the MFC have secured his sevices for us.

I don't know that he will be a very fine player - I certainly hope he will be!

I just think it's pointless recruiting 17yr old key position players and delisting them when they are 20.

How many 20 year old KPP are dominating this year after having missed half the season through injury?

We owe it to ourselves to give Juice another 2 and see what Bailey and co can do to address his flaws in the pre season.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, tough crowd around here.

I thought Juice showed plenty late last year.

I just think it's pointless recruiting 17yr old key position players and delisting them when they are 20.

How many 20 year old KPP are dominating this year after having missed half the season through injury?

We owe it to ourselves to give Juice another 2 and see what Bailey and co can do to address his flaws in the pre season.

He's talented but has a number of core issues. No one is claiming he should be dominating but making a competitive effort. He does not do it. His issue is attitude not injury.

If the Club thinks it can work through them and make an AFL player out of him then I have no problem with that.

He's talented but has a number of core issues. No one is claiming he should be dominating but making a competitive effort. He does not do it. His issue is attitude not injury.

If the Club thinks it can work through them and make an AFL player out of him then I have no problem with that.

Rhino the psychologist has spoken!

Melbourne sign Frawley, Garland, Jones, Petterd, Bate and Newton.

I thought Juice might only get one year, but the coaching staff are showing a lot of faith in him. I'm glad they've done. The calls around here for him to be delisted were ridiculous. Let's hope he can repay that faith Bails is showing in him. He has the ability to do it.

Great news on the other 5 signings too.

Now why would we sign Newton?

GC17 enters the AFL the year after his contract expires. If he kicks on as many of us think he will, Petterd will be a prime target for the new club. Let's hope we look after him and he appreciates us for it all.

Yes he will be a prime target. That is for sure. So too Nick Riewoldt. Both from Broadbeach. Will be enticed to come home.

I thought Juice showed plenty late last year.

good post. you convinced me